Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

20 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

When hogs get an allowance, you can make a lot of money selling slop.

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You specialize in chickens AND pigs, too?!

16 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Don't get me started on llamas, alpacas and vicunas.

13 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The next step is dromedaries and bactrians.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

dromedary - 1

bactrian - 2

I couldn't tell you my mother's phone number without finding it in my contacts, but I can tell you how you can remember which camel is which by rotating the D or B to the left.

Why is my brain like this?

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I couldn't tell you my mother's phone number without finding it in my contacts, but I can tell you how you can remember which camel is which by rotating the D or B to the left.

Because it's logical. Your brain remembers there's a logical process for figuring out the difference, so it makes sense and is kinda novel. Phone numbers on the other hand are boring and have no logic to them (unless the number is similar to yours, or has an interesting series of numbers). I have to look in my contacts for your mom's number too.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KYHorn said:
15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Because it's logical. Your brain remembers there's a logical process for figuring out the difference, so it makes sense and is kinda novel. Phone numbers on the other hand are boring and have no logic to them (unless the number is similar to yours, or has an interesting series of numbers). I have to look in my contacts for your mom's number too.

Yes.  This is literally how mnemonists win memory competitions:  They take uninteresting facts and assign corresponding sounds, names, or images to them, then visualize them in familiar locations.  When they need to recall the numbers/facts, they just visualize themselves going to that familiar place and looking/listening to the images that were assigned to the facts.

https://source.wustl.edu/2015/04/building-a-memory-palace-worlds-top-memory-athletes-to-compete-may-23/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Yes.  This is literally how mnemonists win memory competitions:  They take uninteresting facts and assign corresponding sounds, names, or images to them, then visualize them in familiar locations.  When they need to recall the numbers/facts, they just visualize themselves going to that familiar place and looking/listening to the images that were assigned to the facts.

https://source.wustl.edu/2015/04/building-a-memory-palace-worlds-top-memory-athletes-to-compete-may-23/

IT recruiting chat, so far:

Q: Ja'Tavion Sanders - what is his projection as a fit for Texas, and what does he want to play in college?

Eric Nahlin (EN): Probably the best thing to do is recruit Sanders and Juan Davis as athletes and let it sort out, but Davis is being recruited as a TE. Sanders seems to want to play offense which is a potentially costly mistake. He could be a B-backer or 4-3 DE, those are his best fits.

Q: Who are the biggest competitors for Billy Bowman Jr. as of right now? What is his best positional fit at Texas?

EN: Bowman Jr. seems to like Notre Dame along with UT. It's early for him but UT is in a great shot. Nickel is where I view him. If for some reason they miss on JoJo then they could sell him on slot. When you find a kid with his disposition I want him on defense.

Q: Who are the targets for Mike LB in '21? I saw the Mineola kid in 7 on 7---he looks the part.

Justin Wells (JW): Trevion Snead [sic] is a horse. A good junior year will yield many offers.

Q: I understand the target this year being 21 recruits, but why would it be 18-20 next year for 2021 kids when we're already under the 85 schollies? This is based on Herman's words from yesterday.

JW: Those numbers change ever so often. Texas won’t look seriously at ‘21 numbers until the get a fix on 2020.

EN: Take it all with a grain of salt.

Q: Difficult to predict but should Texas have the kinda season we’re hoping for, big 12 title, be in the hunt for CFP, who are some guys this opens the door for quite a bit? Basically what guys in 2020 and 2021 are very much taking a wait and see approach and a good season would move the needle quite a bit?

EN: The UGA win helped some with the 2021 class. Back that win up with an even better season and it'll help with a ton of 2021's. The guy to watch is probably Tunmise on that front. Beating LSU early would help with the guys they either narrowly missed on or are about to. How much? Impossible to know.

Q: There seemed to be a lot of confidence around Camar Wheaton for a little while. Has that confidence changed? Where do you feel we stand with him?

JW: Still some confidence in Camar, he’s just slowing down some. I wouldn’t be surprised if he visits soon.

Q: What is your feeling on Bryce Foster and UT?

JW: Dandy.

EN: No clue tbh

Q: Vernon was identified by you early as a "must get" for 2020, as of right now are there 2 or 3 targets you feel similarly about in the 2021 class?

JW: Tommy Brockermeyer and Savion Byrd come to mind. Camar Wheaton probably.

EN: Vernon as a must-get was a product of missing Leal the previous cycle. The shelves are much better stocked across the board. I'll say Tommy Brockermeyer, an elite guard (B. Foster or D. Jackson), and maybe Jordon Thomas.

Q: Besides being a physical specimen, what are Kendrick Blackshire's ceiling and floor? Thanks

EN: He's a hard eval for me which is why I have him lower than most. Do you want him to cut weight and get even more lean -- is that even possible given his body type? Kid needs to eat. Do you put 30 pounds on him and try to deploy him like Ed Oliver? (probably) He doesn't have the length for 4i. Could he play B-backer? Maybe.

JW: I like him as a traditional defensive tackle. Hope he’s not maxed out in HS.

Q: If we were to land Billy Bowman and JoJo Earle why can’t both play offense? I know they both project to slot but they can both me moved around.

JW: They both can, but Bowman’s highest upside might be DB. 

EN: Who said they couldn't? I guess they could. It would be a waste if you have a potential nickel splitting already limited touches but he could play slot. They'd make for great back-ups to Jake Smith.

Q: Thoughts on Shemar Turner? I’m a fan and can see him as a guy that moves up and down the line.

JW: Turner is a big body with a big personality. He’ll need coaching.

EN: Not a fan but obviously he has size and ability. Here's what I posted on Turner in April: 47. DL Shemar Turner, DeSoto: Has good size and movement skills but I'd like to see him play more assertively. I'd also like to see him doing more "defensive line things" like using his hands, beating guys with leverage, etc.

Q: So far the only real bad news in here to me is that you don’t like Shemar Turner. Hopefully he has a big Jr year.

JW: Turner has a big personality.

Edited by Machinator

Q: Thoughts on Shemar Turner? I’m a fan and can see him as a guy that moves up and down the line.

JW: Turner is a big body with a big personality. He’ll need coaching.

EN: Not a fan but obviously he has size and ability. Here's what I posted on Turner in April: 47. DL Shemar Turner, DeSoto: Has good size and movement skills but I'd like to see him play more assertively. I'd also like to see him doing more "defensive line things" like using his hands, beating guys with leverage, etc.

Q: So far the only real bad news in here to me is that you don’t like Shemar Turner. Hopefully he has a big Jr year.

JW: Turner has a big personality.

Well that's cryptic out of Wells.

This Stanford thing is their first realization that just because there are 7 blue chip OL in Texas doesn’t mean that they will all fall neatly between Texas and aggy. 

Some are starting to put the pieces together that if Texas gets Conner, Byrd, and brockermeyers, they’ve still got to fight Stanford, bama, LSU, ou, and who knows who else for the others (including Texas for foster)

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Mind enlightening the youth? Danke

Winston’s aggy dad more or less disowned him when he picked Miami. 

Foster is not only looking at not choosing aggy, but possibly wanting to go to Texas. 

I’d trust ctj’s memory over mine here. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Mind enlightening the youth? Danke

Winston was from an aggie family and wanted to come to Texas. The stepdad basically threatened to disown the guy, throw him out of the house, and never get to see his mother again. Winston insisted upon Texas and told them to fuck off. Eventually they compromised on him going to Miami, where he became a star OT and went on to the NFL. At the time, with Tim Nunez buttfucking the OL best interests at Texas, the compromise ended up being the winner anyway. We'll see on the new one. 

• Like 1