2021-22 MLB Offseason Thread

Beau Vine

It’s more a problem with a front office that thinks it’s a good idea to build a roster barely good enough to fight for a 2nd wild card spot. 

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

They're orange and black, even though their mascot is the yellowjackets.  I've always had a problem with that.

I assume this is the Lange that pitched at LSU.  

Nope. Went straight from the mighty Orange&Blackjackets to the minors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, Helobious said:

Ok I forgot we aren’t starting March 31 anymore. Freeman and Story will be signed, Correa will hold out until late April. Don’t feel confident enough to bet on it but it’s what my intuition is saying. 

Good to see that Helo’s intuition is, once again, right on track

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Delicious tears in the Astros thread right now for anyone into that. None of them would ever leave a job for more money. 

As usual you get it wrong. The thought was “why would the twins offer him a better deal than the Astros would/why didn’t we match”. Don’t let reality get in the way of the voices in your head. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

As usual you get it wrong. The thought was “why would the twins offer him a better deal than the Astros would/why didn’t we match”. Don’t let reality get in the way of the voices in your head. 

And a lot of us have no problem with Astros not matching the Twins deal. They're kind of at his mercy if they need to move him in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And a lot of us have no problem with Astros not matching the Twins deal. They're kind of at his mercy if they need to move him in 2023.

That’s true too. But literally nobody in that thread said what he claimed we did.  It one single person said “boo hoo why would correa go to Minnesota for more money?”  “We are simps that don’t understand this is a business”. 

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s true too. But literally nobody in that thread said what he claimed we did.  It one single person said “boo hoo why would correa go to Minnesota for more money?”  “We are simps that don’t understand this is a business”. 

We had to watch Seager go, which hurt.  But it’s all about the sum of the parts.  The key will be to see if the Astros use that free’d up money to fill multiple other spots or if Crane just pockets it.

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

We had to watch Seager go, which hurt.  But it’s all about the sum of the parts.  The key will be to see if the Astros use that free’d up money to fill multiple other spots or if Crane just pockets it.

Yep. There was no doubt y’all were going to repurpose it and do it incredibly intelligently. We will see if Crane does. Looks like it would have to be at the deadline if he’s going to make a major decision to do something big to move the needle. 

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Right, I understand that but it's hard to think the Astros weren't close to that offer and he has such a bond with his teammates and Astros fans that anything close should have kept him in Houston for the short term at least.

So my daughter is graduating with a master's this summer with a specialization in biomechanics, and the Rangers, Red Sox, and Yankees all have Biomechanics Analysts jobs open that sound like they were written exactly for her.  

"Dad, would you really be OK with me working for the Yankees?"

"I'd find a way."

But I'm way more excited about this than I should be, because right now she's more interested in a job at some lab at Pitt.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I like Granato but he’s a clown and a drunk. Guy on clutch fans vouches for him and says Granato is tight with a guy in Correa’s inner circle. Who knows the reality on that. 

I would assume that info came from Boras, and I have no idea why he'd try to stir up shit after Correa signed.  

35 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So my daughter is graduating with a master's this summer with a specialization in biomechanics, and the Rangers, Red Sox, and Yankees all have Biomechanics Analysts jobs open that sound like they were written exactly for her.  

"Dad, would you really be OK with me working for the Yankees?"

"I'd find a way."

But I'm way more excited about this than I should be, because right now she's more interested in a job at some lab at Pitt.

That’s super cool. I studied exercise physiology in grad school and thought about going to biomechanics (another discipline in our dept) but never did. Wish I had and I do think biomechanical analysis the next big thing in sports analytics. 

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I would assume that info came from Boras, and I have no idea why he'd try to stir up shit after Correa signed.  

I wouldn’t see Granato being on Boras distribution list. Granato earlier in 2021 season claimed correa was asking for 7 or 8 for 200 before the 2021 season. He’s allegedly got a source outside of Boras so it’s not Boras leaking shit I don’t think. He wouldn’t deal with local media he’d deal with national guys I would bet. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Granato is a genius. He works what, 3 hours a day and drinks Coors Light/plays golf the rest of the time. 

And his work is talking about gambling and sports. But, he has to wake up at like 4:30 so maybe not genius. 
but, he’s married to a local cbs channel president that’s pretty good looking and makes more than him, so, back to genius. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn