The Rimbo Plan to Fix Longhorn Football.

Rimbo

9 hours ago, victory88 said:

The players that want to go to the NFL and the players that want to win championships don’t come here.  We get left with recruits that Bama, LSU, tOSU, aggy, UGA pass on.  The guys we’re getting are comparable to the players at Tech, TCU, okie state but they are entitled bc they wear the Texas logo and are more into the hype of playing for Texas than putting the work in.  Outside of the elite talents like Bijan and Worthy, most 4 stars are no better than the 3 stars when they hit campus.  These star rankings mean jack shit when they don’t put in the work once they get on campus.  It’s why most of our players look good their freshman year and then they regress.  We do not develop talent nor do the players give a fuck.  Listen to Xavier Worthy’s comments about how he can’t make the rest of the team play hard.  Listen the J’Tavian Sanders interview where he talks about there being no sideline energy during games.  They need process out players that are mentally weak and players that care more about partying in Austin than playing football.  We definitely have a culture problem and a loser mentality …

This right here.

When a 4* or 5* gets to Austin, they seem to think they've made it.  There's nothing left to prove.  "I'm a bad ass, and now I play football at Texas, which proves I'm a bad ass."  When we do get one that is hungry and wants to WIN, they stand out (I'm looking at you, Worthy).  I hope our recruiting process (and however we fund it) is focused on getting bad-ass-motherfucker-wallet-bearing dudes who want to prove something ONCE they get here, and not highly-skilled dudes who think just getting here has proved anything.

Want to improve the program?

1) stop paying lying ass 9.95 garbage services so they disappear

2) kill off LHN

3) stop giving a shit about recruiting and just let the coaches do work for 4-5 seasons then see if progressing. 

You want to know why you routinely see guys like Traylor go to places like UTSA and build them up? Because at those places nobody gave a shit and they were allowed to just go about their daily work without having to deal with outside bullshit and rumors. 

Because [mention=1234]Nicole44[/mention] asked me.
Disclaimer: I don't know shit, and neither do you.
Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. Personnel is the issue. We have a decent class coming in, not great, but what made Mack Brown successful wasn't the X's and O's (God knows) but the Jimmies and Joes. He came right in and blew recruiting out of the water because he could sell water to a drowning man.
So, since she asked:

1. Alumni need to be unified. We've splintered off into the Dalls faction, the Houston faction, etc. We are not united. Not only that, but we have a bunch of knowitalls at the higher eschelons that think that because they're good at... whatever it is that made them rich, that they also know football, too. The alumni need to be organized and unified behind the University of Texas football program in general, and not let the Coach Of The Month -- or even the current coach -- distract them from the goal of the greater advancement of Texas Football.
  2. We, the Alumni, need to put people who know football in charge and let them do their jobs.Just because you watch football every weekend and win your Fantasy Football league means you know exactly nothing.
  3. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Open up the pocketbooks, show our recruits how awesome Austin Texas is, what a great University we go to, and how much fun they're going to have in Austin -- and how well-paid they'll be, too. Also, you need to put your personal politics aside. Show the kids political beliefs that they want to see, because that's what Austin provides, no matter what it is. Football is more important than politics, here. If you're "woke," ditch it. If you want to "own the libs," ditch it. The game comes first.

tl;dr: 
We need to be: 1. Organized and unified (see above) 2. Generous toward recruits 3. Positive about what UT and Austin offer.  

This is bad and you should feel ashamed.

I already provided a roadmap. It starts with hiring someone who can evaluate linemen better than 20% of the time. Fuck recruiting rankings. Find players.

* Raises hand *
How is personnel the issue when our last four recruiting classes were, per Rivals, #14, #14, #4, and #4?

Rankings don’t play football. And rankings are not about distribution of talent. 5 5* WRs and 5 5* RB ain’t shit if there isn’t a qb that can throw or a line that can block or a head coach that is lost.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Recruiting rankings are absolutley worthless and do not mean shit.

So Alabama and Clemson dominating the recruiting rankings and also sucking up most of the national championships is a coincidence.  Got it.

The point other posters made about how much talent we've had leave is a good one, but it points to the same problem I'm talking about: coaching and culture.  We haven't had any problem getting talented kids to come play football at Texas.  The problem we have is developing them and getting them to stay.  And it doesn't help when we blow games to less talented teams.

Some of y'all seem to think that we're 4-5 because of our roster.  I don't.  Not entirely, at least.  And the most glaring problem on the roster, the O line, could've been addressed with some transfers, and it wasn't.

There's just no fucking reason for us to be this bad with the kids we've been bringing in.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

My nephew plays HS football and they have a QB with a rocket arm, 6’4” division 1.  He’s the prototype QB but he’s like a robot out there.  He doesn’t process great touch and is successful because he is playing against weaker opponents.  His younger brother, who would be the QB but for his senior brother already playing that position, plays receiver and DB/Safety and is a fucking playmaker.  The older brother has the Power 5 offer but you can tell if you watch the games that the younger brother is the better football player.  He’ll play QB next year and I’m guessing won’t get any power 5 offers.  If I had to guess I would put my money on the younger brother to make it to the NFL way before the older brother with all the measurables.  One just has great football instincts and the other has great measurables.  Seems like Texas more than not takes those that look great but lack great football instincts.  By the way Jeff Traylor has already offered the younger one and hasn’t even seen him play QB yet.  Jeff just know a football player when he sees one.  

It's not going to get fixed. There was a time when kids were thrilled at the idea of playing for The Texas Longhorns just for the honor of playing for the great school and for the love of the game. Very few kids now seem to play for the love of the game. They are here to try to maximize their pro contract...that they won't get...and to showboat with their hand jive end zone choreography like 8 year old girls on the playground. It's not going to get fixed. 

1) Top tier players want to play in NFL 

They want either a convincing argument why joining school X is going to make that possible through a) track record of school/coaching stuff creating draft success or b) exposure/playing time to demonstrate that they are in fact as good as they think they are.

Once they believe the #1 can be addressed, then they'd like to:

2) get paid

3) get laid

4) win a championship

2,3,4 are interchangeable based on individual, situation, etc.  but #1 is the driver-  we have too many recruits that think their path on #1 is "b" (wait till they see me - I'm better than what's there),  versus "a", If I bust my ass this school will get me into the NFL. 

TLDR; our recruits think they are the man when they arrive vs. expecting to compete with the best of the best to become the man - because that's become our selling point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

in 2021 i think the top kids just want to play with swag, win, and get in the spotlight to make it in the big leagues.

texas has none of those.  SEC has had better TV exposure what the fuck is the longhorn network?

the days of kids dreaming to make it on a longhorn roster and have be able grandmama close enough to attend the games is no more.  half the top 20 texas kids in last 3 years went out of state. 

we are not the Joneses anymore.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:09 AM, CooterBrown said:

If I’m CDC, the next time I negotiate our Nike contract, it’d include 8.5M for $100K NIL contracts for each scholarship player.

Going to need to make that 17M for title IX. 

Also men's BB would be pretty pissed they're not getting a piece of the action but scrubs on the football depth chart are getting 100K.