The Rimbo Plan to Fix Longhorn Football.

Rimbo

Because @Nicole44 asked me.

Disclaimer: I don't know shit, and neither do you.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. Personnel is the issue. We have a decent class coming in, not great, but what made Mack Brown successful wasn't the X's and O's (God knows) but the Jimmies and Joes. He came right in and blew recruiting out of the water because he could sell water to a drowning man.

So, since she asked:

1. Alumni need to be unified. We've splintered off into the Dalls faction, the Houston faction, etc. We are not united. Not only that, but we have a bunch of knowitalls at the higher eschelons that think that because they're good at... whatever it is that made them rich, that they also know football, too. The alumni need to be organized and unified behind the University of Texas football program in general, and not let the Coach Of The Month -- or even the current coach -- distract them from the goal of the greater advancement of Texas Football.
  2. We, the Alumni, need to put people who know football in charge and let them do their jobs.Just because you watch football every weekend and win your Fantasy Football league means you know exactly nothing.
  3. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Open up the pocketbooks, show our recruits how awesome Austin Texas is, what a great University we go to, and how much fun they're going to have in Austin -- and how well-paid they'll be, too. Also, you need to put your personal politics aside. Show the kids political beliefs that they want to see, because that's what Austin provides, no matter what it is. Football is more important than politics, here. If you're "woke," ditch it. If you want to "own the libs," ditch it. The game comes first.

tl;dr: 

We need to be:
1. Organized and unified (see above)
2. Generous toward recruits
3. Positive about what UT and Austin offer.

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Because @Nicole44 asked me.

Disclaimer: I don't know shit, and neither do you.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. Personnel is the issue. We have a decent class coming in, not great, but what made Mack Brown successful wasn't the X's and O's (God knows) but the Jimmies and Joes. He came right in and blew recruiting out of the water because he could sell water to a drowning man.

So, since she asked:

1. Alumni need to be unified. We've splintered off into the Dalls faction, the Houston faction, etc. We are not united. Not only that, but we have a bunch of knowitalls at the higher eschelons that think that because they're good at... whatever it is that made them rich, that they also know football, too. The alumni need to be organized and unified behind the University of Texas football program in general, and not let the Coach Of The Month -- or even the current coach -- distract them from the goal of the greater advancement of Texas Football.
  2. We, the Alumni, need to put people who know football in charge and let them do their jobs.Just because you watch football every weekend and win your Fantasy Football league means you know exactly nothing.
  3. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. Open up the pocketbooks, show our recruits how awesome Austin Texas is, what a great University we go to, and how much fun they're going to have in Austin -- and how well-paid they'll be, too. Also, you need to put your personal politics aside. Show the kids political beliefs that they want to see, because that's what Austin provides, no matter what it is. Football is more important than politics, here. If you're "woke," ditch it. If you want to "own the libs," ditch it. The game comes first.

tl;dr: 

We need to be:
1. Organized and unified (see above)
2. Generous toward recruits
3. Positive about what UT and Austin offer.

Bull fucking shit. If you had it your way Charlie would still be head coach with Greg Davis as his OC 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

* Raises hand *

How is personnel the issue when our last four recruiting classes were, per Rivals, #14, #14, #4, and #4?

That’s a big mystery or is it? Breece Hall said as much nearly a  year ago and a lot of posters flamed him for it. We have no impetus to be afraid of what’s happening because we are the biggest money maker period. Hopefully we wake the fuck up

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

* Raises hand *

How is personnel the issue when our last four recruiting classes were, per Rivals, #14, #14, #4, and #4?

There’s what’s visible on tape and there’s what a person possesses on the inside. Texas hasn’t been a football university is quite sometime and therefore draws players whose top priorities may not be football. All this, “Why would they go to (fill in the blank) when they could come to Austin?” talk comes down to a simple answer. Those mother fuckers care about football more than all that other shit. Until Texas creates a culture of championship football, at all costs, the current trajectory will remain.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lol 2019

He can say it's a tired argument all he wants, but all he did was partially explain one of the last FOUR years of recruiting.

The bottom line is that we consistently land players talented enough to impress all of the scouts.  And they get here and they forget how to tackle and block and catch a fucking football.

There's something wrong with this program and it isn't recruiting.  It's coaching and culture.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The players that want to go to the NFL and the players that want to win championships don’t come here.  We get left with recruits that Bama, LSU, tOSU, aggy, UGA pass on.  The guys we’re getting are comparable to the players at Tech, TCU, okie state but they are entitled bc they wear the Texas logo and are more into the hype of playing for Texas than putting the work in.  Outside of the elite talents like Bijan and Worthy, most 4 stars are no better than the 3 stars when they hit campus.  These star rankings mean jack shit when they don’t put in the work once they get on campus.  It’s why most of our players look good their freshman year and then they regress.  We do not develop talent nor do the players give a fuck.  Listen to Xavier Worthy’s comments about how he can’t make the rest of the team play hard.  Listen the J’Tavian Sanders interview where he talks about there being no sideline energy during games.  They need process out players that are mentally weak and players that care more about partying in Austin than playing football.  We definitely have a culture problem and a loser mentality …

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m at the point where I’d like to see in each surly poster’s bio, their education, net worth, career focus, and political beliefs before taking anything they say seriously…

I love posters here who think they’re making a difference.. this board is for entertainment purposes only. If you want to make a difference, go donate your time to charity.

nothing solves the longhorn football program cause historically we’ve sucked. We’ve basically outran our neighbors when it came to who the bear ate, leaving us the winners…

/rant. Pissed the weekend is over and have a very early meeting tomorrow with people in Europe. Wish they’d schedule shit on ‘Merica’s time…

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we need to go out of state for beef

draw up a list of the top 5 junior linemen in every state

make a call - one call only - let them know they might have the opportunity to play in Austin

set a goal of 5 out-of-state linemen, either side of the ball, every year

do this for the rest of the decade

What are we going to do with the 5th-ranked OL from New Mexico, Wyoming, North Dakota, Vermont, and Maine?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

What are we going to do with the 5th-ranked OL from New Mexico, Wyoming, North Dakota, Vermont, and Maine?

It would be cool if someone went into New Mexico and wrecked it. I don’t see that anyone has a plan. I thought Rimbo’s was a good one. Pick apart his idea or add to it. 

If we recruit the type of talent DKR did or Mack did in the early 2000s or Alabama or Georgia do now, we can get by without "great" coaching.  We can do better.  And if Sark can close the deal on the people he is favored on, we will be recruiting on the Alabama or Georgia level.  With all those recruiting classes, ask yourself how many 5 stars are in there.  Its very, very few in the last decade.  The can't miss players aren't coming here with a rare exception.  Usually an out of state one is the exception.

And then it sounds like we aren't keeping players although I haven't personally looked at the numbers.  We've also kept changing coaches.  We need to not call for Sark's head until year 3.  When we change the defensive scheme every year, players miss assignments.

Bitch about the coaching, but don't call for firing unless year 3 shows no improvement.  When the public hears rumors about the coach getting fired it kills recruiting.  See Hermann's last class.

41 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

He can say it's a tired argument all he wants, but all he did was partially explain one of the last FOUR years of recruiting.

The bottom line is that we consistently land players talented enough to impress all of the scouts.  And they get here and they forget how to tackle and block and catch a fucking football.

There's something wrong with this program and it isn't recruiting.  It's coaching and culture.

The little he did was more than you did by just listing some random ass class rankings.

Go back and do two things for me for 2017-2021:

1. See how the talent in those classes is distributed

2. See how many of those guys are still on the team

The coaching hasn't been good enough to overcome those massive roster holes but it's a pretty steep hill to climb.

IMO the problem began with firing Mack. Muschamp ain’t coming back. He’s not. He was never going to be a good head coach. Move on…god bless America. Muschamp is not coming here and resurrecting a defense from a decade ago. Move on damn. He wanted to be a head coach and he sucked at that move the fuck on. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

IMO the problem began with firing Mack. Muschamp ain’t coming back. He’s not. He was never going to be a good head coach. Move on…god bless America. Muschamp is not coming here and resurrecting a defense from a decade ago. Move on damn. He wanted to be a head coach and he sucked at that move the fuck on. 

Naw, the rot set in during Mack's time. Which is why he was fired, if you'll recall. If Mack ca. 2007 was the same guy Mack was ca. 2002, he doesn't lose his job, we win another MNC, etc. But he wasn't and we didn't and we had to can him and now we're wandering the wilderness of mediocrity.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we need to go out of state for beef

draw up a list of the top 5 junior linemen in every state

make a call - one call only - let them know they might have the opportunity to play in Austin

set a goal of 5 out-of-state linemen, either side of the ball, every year

do this for the rest of the decade

We’ve been awful on the OL for so long. 

I don’t know what the solution is but I’m willing to bet if that gets turned around the program is in much better shape. 

I would take a good OL over anything else at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

*NOTE: THIS IS A JOKE POST AND NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, UNLESS YOU'VE PLAYED WITH THE IDEA:

I'll tell you how to fix the program. We don't need to find the right coach or pay recruits. If this University has the millions it claims, just pay the officials to make bogus calls against our opponents and overlook our penalties like they do with OU. The NCAA won't give the death penalty ever again, so if we get caught(we can throw money at higher ups to look the other way) they'll just slap us on the wrist with "can't be ranked, give out scholarships or go bowling for a couple years" like they did to USC and Ohio State. With the amounts of money we have, there's no excuse why we shouldn't be in discussion to make and win the conference title every year and be in the playoff discussion every year. 

Examples: if there's "hand fighting" between our WR and a CB and the ball is intercepted, the official can throw the flag; "pass interference, defense, 15 yard penalty, automatic first down. Texas retains possession." Or if an opponent runs for a 50 yard touchdown, once again throw a flag; "holding, offense, 10 yard penalty... replay the down." Or if we need a field goal to win and our kicker misses, look! Another flag! "offsides or encroachment, defense, lining up in the neutral zone. 5 yard penalty, retry the kick." Then we get a second chance to win. 

However, to get away with it, we have to build up to it so the NCAA doesn't get suspicious. The first season we do it, finish 8-4 or 9-3. Then the next season maybe 10-2, then 10-2 then 9-3, then 11-1 and so on. 

I know it's farfetched, but it can be done if we REALLY  wanted to. If I was a booster, I would call a meeting with Red McCombs and the other boosters to make this happen. Make a deal with the devil for wins and we'll pay for them later on(or never if no one catches on). I'd say "alright boys, let's open the wallets and get out the check books. Time to stop being the mockery of P5 football... let's cheat!"

Like the late great Eddie Guerrero said, "I lie, I cheat, I steal!" lol 

Lie about being an honest program, cheat to win games, steal a victory. 

b28eb6d36d2047f6f3bf0daddad47b48.png

RANT OVER! 

Edited by Longboard Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Jesus, what a horrible plan.

Let me simplify it for you.

1) we’re Texas

2) look at all this pussy we have on campus, wanna come here?

3) what kind of car do you want?

4) Austin or some other shithole?

I like the way this post subtly acknowledges that Austin is indeed a shithole.

Well done.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Alumni need to be unified. We've splintered off into the Dalls faction, the Houston faction, etc. We are not united. Not only that, but we have a bunch of knowitalls at the higher eschelons that think that because they're good at... whatever it is that made them rich, that they also know football, too. The alumni need to be organized and unified behind the University of Texas football program in general, and not let the Coach Of The Month -- or even the current coach -- distract them from the goal of the greater advancement of Texas Football.

Colt McCoy got his shoulder broke and Tyron Swoopes can't throw a football because Dallas folks wasn't getting along with Houston folks.

• Haha 3

To fix Texas football you must pay the 5 stars with whataburger bags stuffed to the top with cash. Large bills of cold, hard cash. No more choir boys, you go after the hard pipe hitting boys. You don't recruit the offensive linemen that help little old ladies across the street, you recruit the ones finger banging sluts in study hall. Texas doesn't need any more weaklings that curl up into a ball and quit at the first sign of adversity. You need someone who says stop being a bitch and let your nuts hang.

• Haha 1