Texas vs. Houston Baptist tonight at 8 PM at the FEC and on LHN

HookEm

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We have game threads for aggy every Saturday on the football board.

ive never clicked on one of those threads, but there's no way that the contents of said threads can be as childish and embarrassing as what's in that TTU "Whorn" thread. "chris beard is trying really hard to act happy even though he's miserable at Texas and can't wait to bolt." lmao, what?!?

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ive never clicked on one of those threads, but there's no way that the contents of said threads can be as childish and embarrassing as what's in that TTU "Whorn" thread. "chris beard is trying really hard to act happy even though he's miserable at Texas and can't wait to bolt." lmao, what?!?

Yeah, he seemed really down last night as his freshly recruited team of all stars was winning by 40+, knowing he'd soon be heading home to his mansion in an awesome city instead of in a tumbleweed shithole.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

observations:

•we expected three point shooting and FT shooting to be better this year, and both lived up to expectations tonight. FT shooting wasn't perfect, but the entire damn team has a good looking stroke.

•turned defense into offense all night. many of those made threes came in transition. if you watch the video above, in one of the last clips you can hear me say, "speaking of which..." right before Ramey nails a three and the crowd goes wild. my dad and i were talking about all of the transition threes just as that transition three unfolded.

•the team looked surprisingly comfortable and in sync. i don't care if we played Johnston HS tonight, these guys looked like they've all been playing together for 2-3 years. none of the expected hesitation, or second guessing. everything on both ends flowed smoothly all night (ew).

•we won't have a true alpha dog, but this is the deepest Texas team since the 2010 team that had Doj, J'Covan, Damion James, Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, Dexter Pittman, Gary Johnson, and Justin Mason. it's like that. it doesn't matter if one or two guys are having an off night, because we have five more guys who you still have to account for at all times. defending this team will be very difficult for most of the teams on our schedule.

•my dad and i both noted how refreshing the tempo was. the last 4-5 years have featured so many half court sets that last 30 seconds, with so much standing around and so little off-ball movement; this game was not like that. the transition buckets were plentiful, and the half court offense ran more smoothly than any offense we've had since Shaka's first year (shouts out Isaiah Taylor)

•best opening night crowd ever. i'm serious. the excitement is palpable. we were up by 30 in the second half and an HBU player would miss a FT and the entire crowd would go nuts. i was amazed, and just absolutely impressed with the noise level and enthusiasm of the crowd tonight. it was like a high school crowd the way everyone was so into the game. the FEC is going to be *rocking* come conference play. oh, and that game on January 29th will no doubt be one of the greatest atmospheres in FEC history, right up there with the Strollin' Nolan game.

here's my wrap up:

no doubt many of you will remember the events which directly followed the season opener for the 2016-17 season. i went to the game, and i came back to shaggy and said (in so many words) "it's bleak." you will remember this because a feisty and interminable argument started between myself and some other poster whose name i can't recall. he insisted that there was too much mystery surrounding the roster for anyone to definitively declare that the team was good, bad, or anything in between. i, however, was adamant that i had seen enough season openers in my life (20-something at that point) to be able to pass judgment. as you may have tried to forget, we went 11-22 that season and all started huffing gas. shit was, indeed, bleak.

well, this is the anti-2016 season opener. ive been to at least a couple dozen of these things in my life, and i know a very good/possibly great team when i see one. i am telling you, this team should not be as aligned and in sync as it is. there just hasn't been enough time. and yet, they are. that's the biggest thing. that's the one question that every CBB fan/analyst has had: how long will it take for this team to jell, and can they come together enough to be title contenders? i'm here to tell you that the answer is 'yes'.

i was told by someone who was at the U of H scrimmage that, "If Disu is healthy, this team can go all the way. If not, then maybe the Sweet 16 is more realistic." after what i saw tonight, that sounds right. i cannot explain the chemistry that i witnessed tonight, but it's there. hoopers gonna hoop i suppose. we are going to compete for the big xii regular season title, we are going to win 23-25 regular season games, barring an injury crisis we are going to be a 3 seed in the tourney at worst, and if this team can stay healthy, we are going to be ranked in the top 5-10 for the majority of this season, and we will be a highly favored team come March. this is a Chris Beard team on steroids. five guys between 6'3" and 6'9", all of whom can run, defend, and shoot, and all of whom are high level D-1 players. this team is exactly why Chris Beard came to Texas. 

get your tickets now. get season tickets if you can. if you can't, then be on the prowl for single game tickets vs KU, OU, BU, and oh yeah, Tennessee. we have a special team that will only be around for one year, and you need to see them in person. you need to experience the FEC when it has 16,000 people going apeshit on a Big Monday vs KU or OU.

ive said this once before, and i'll say it again: the only experience in my life as a sports fan that reminds of this one is the 2016 Cubs- we get Theo Epstein, we get Joe Maddon, we go add Lester, Rossy, Heyward, Zobrist, Arrieta, Chapman, etc. it was like, my entire life i've been a fan of this team, and we've generally been terrible, only to have our hearts ripped out the one time we were good, and now all of a sudden, it's as if i'm personally writing the script. that's what this feels like to me. i'm not afraid to get my hopes up. i'm thrilled to be getting my hopes up, because it's based on some very very solid ground. we have the team; we have the coach; we have the support. we have everything required for this to be an all time special season. get crunk. we're doing this. 

Hoops Derka is the best Derka.  Appreciate the write up. 

Never thought I'd be so geeked to watch a Horns team take on Houston Baptist, but last night was a fun game to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Laughed hard at one part towards the end: Licon gets his hands on the ball on defense and knocks it loose; him and Benson start running. Outlet pass goes off of Benson's head, right into the hands of Licon. Licon has the fucking swagger to pull up for a 3 during the 2 on 1 transition and sinks it. Benson never even looked at the basket. As soon as the ball went off his head, he looked right at Licon, Licon let it fly, and Benson started celebrating as soon as it left his hand 🤣 this team was having fun, that's for damn sure

Okay, that was badass.

• Hook 'Em 1

Disu probably has more upside than both Mitchell and Bishop. He’s a better rebounder and defender. 

Bishop is the scrappy guy/team leader type that Beard likes, Mitchell is a bucket getter, and Disu is the guy that can switch defensively/rebound. 

I think you can play two of these guys at a time too because Mitchell and Disu both have a decent ability to stretch the floor. I’m interested if Beard sticks with this 3 guard lineup and Allen at PF or if he eventually goes bigger. 

Either way, tons of versatility to play with once Disu is back. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Okay, I finally got bored enough to go take a look at that Red Raider discussion board.  Good lord.  First of all, it looks like a 7th grader's web design project.  Secondly, those posters sound like people who tried out for texags and got rejected and somehow grew an even more inflated sense of self-importance.

Look, you're Tech fans.  You got lucky to get a few years of a great coach before the big-time jobs realized he was a great coach.  Be thankful for it.  Don't be naive and stupid enough to have your feelings hurt that he used your stepping stone program as a stepping stone program. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

I told you motherfuckers all last season this man could ball. 

Well, really it was just a few of you. Still. 

Way to stroke it Ramey. 

Ramey is a plus player when you take the ball out of his hands. I think he’s actually a good shooter if he’s not over dribbling and jacking bad shots. 

Last night the ball was never in Ramey’s hands other than catch and shoot. Askew is the backup PG. As long as Ramey isn’t running the offense at PG he’s a good player because he’s a disaster when he has to dictate the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

This.  We won’t consistently shoot like we did last night, but our guards from the past few years are better shooters than they appeared to be in the Shaka Smart era.  Open looks, catch and shoot instead of pulling up off the dribble, and non-shitty shot selection is going to raise the percentages a few ticks.   Febres, Ramey and Jones can all be good outside shooters - not elite, but certainly good enough.  Cunningham still needs to set screens and not shoot, though.

I’m expecting Cunningham’s minutes will be fairly limited as the season rolls on. 

He’s fun to watch because of the hustle but he’s just extremely limited compared to other guys like Febres, Allen and Tyson. Especially on the offensive end. 

Unlike the football team, there are plenty of guys you can play that aren’t talent deficient. I can see Cunningham saving us in a couple games off the bench with his energy but will be surprised if he gets more than 5-10 minutes a game.  I just think he’s an energy guy in games where we are dead which sometimes happens over a long season. 

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

This.  We won’t consistently shoot like we did last night, but our guards from the past few years are better shooters than they appeared to be in the Shaka Smart era.  Open looks, catch and shoot instead of pulling up off the dribble, and non-shitty shot selection is going to raise the percentages a few ticks.   Febres, Ramey and Jones can all be good outside shooters - not elite, but certainly good enough.  Cunningham still needs to set screens and not shoot, though.

I disagree. I think Ramey and Febres will be elite BTA. They were last year. Ramey was at .414 and Febres was at .392 I think both will above .40 given the amount of catch and shoot attempts they should get in this offense.

I will say that the PG is overrated in Beard's offensive system, because of all the off ball movement, cuts, and empty lane. I think we saw just how good this team can share the ball with bigs hitting guards on back cuts for layups.

Texas had 21 assists last night, which was 1 higher than the most last year under Smart.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1