2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It was such a huge turnaround at the time that it seemed like Brady must be a miracle worker, but in hindsight that LSU team was legitimately more talented at the skill positions than most NFL teams.  Burrow is already a well above average to potentially elite pro QB, Chase and Jefferson are both among the very best WRs in the league already, the RB was a first rounder who can also play WR, etc.   These guys are a few cuts above even normal 1st round picks.   They were more loaded for the passing game than just about any college offense I can remember.

The truly bewildering part is how Orgeron could be such a caveman to have a mediocre offense the year before Brady showed up.

It feels like a situation where competent met ungodly talent. LSU offense was mismanaged for years. Just putting them in a competent system produced greatness. Brady’s star rose too fast to last. He is coming back to earth. Probably still a competent and young OC that needs seasoning and was on a stage way too big for him at this point 

11 minutes ago, quigley said:

Read it again.

I was comparing Venables time as sole DC at OU (2004 - 2011) to Mike Stoops time as head coach at Arizona (2004-2011).

The Big12 during that time was far stronger than the Pac10 (pre-Utah and Colorado). The Pac10 had USC and Oregon and then a wasteland. The Big12 was right up with the SEC during that time.

Head coach is not equal to coordinator performance. This is a common mistake. Just like there is no guarantee Venables has good defenses (or Sarkisian has good offenses) as a head coach, if you're comparing DC performance it needs to be as DC.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Head coach is not equal to coordinator performance. This is a common mistake. Just like there is no guarantee Venables has good defenses (or Sarkisian has good offenses) as a head coach, if you're comparing DC performance it needs to be as DC.

Thanks.

How bout the fact that OU's defense experienced no regression with Mike's departure plus the fact that Mike looked like an incompetent ass at Arizona?

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Also, I agree with you about having Venables as head coach not guaranteeing good defenses at OU.

That said, he had free rein regarding the defense at Clemson and did more with less when at OU. Amongst the predictors of good performance, he's got them.

6 hours ago, quigley said:

Nothing about this is right.

Mike was fired at Arizona. Mike was brought back to be CO-DC with Venables, again. But everyone knew Venables would leave in that situation.

Venables fielding top defenses without Mike for 7 years + Mike fielding worse defense in a worse conference was enough to know that this was a bad trade.

Yet the 2003 defense went to hell in a handbasket vs K St and LSU when Mike departed for Zona.  What happened there?

4 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Yet the 2003 defense went to hell in a handbasket vs K St and LSU when Mike departed for Zona.  What happened there?

Mike had accepted the Arizona job but still coached in the KSt game so your point is moot. BTW, Mike's DBs were trash that game.

Regardless, it would be silly to focus on that one game sample vs the other EIGHT YEARS and 107 other games.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It feels like a situation where competent met ungodly talent. LSU offense was mismanaged for years. Just putting them in a competent system produced greatness. Brady’s star rose too fast to last. He is coming back to earth. Probably still a competent and young OC that needs seasoning and was on a stage way too big for him at this point 

Peter Principle defined.

10 minutes ago, quigley said:

Mike had accepted the Arizona job but still coached in the KSt game so your point is moot. BTW, Mike's DBs were trash that game.

Regardless, it would be silly to focus on that one game sample vs the other EIGHT YEARS and 107 other games.

Venables was good alone, but those defenses were fearsome when they were together.  Not since, and that is the primary reason you guys have not been a real factor in the NC since.  JMO.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

image.thumb.png.efdb34ac0d9133d7267044beb4adba1e.png

How strictly are the "analysts can't directly coach the players" rules actually followed/enforced in college football? I assume pretty much not at all but idk..

GP as analyst makes a lot of sense. He probably doesn't mind a low-stress year without all the recruiting etc. And we don't need him doing that stuff. Just let him coach.

4 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Venables was good alone, but those defenses were fearsome when they were together.  Not since, and that is the primary reason you guys have not been a real factor in the NC since.  JMO.

Venables defenses at OU were top 10 for eight straight years after Mike left. This is despite him him a couple of zeros on the the defensive staff. I did the homework on earlier today. In those eight years Venables was at OU as the sole DC OU finished 3, 8, 5, and 6 including a national championship game. To stay they weren't a real factor isn't reality.

You're opinion is uninformed, just like your prior statement.

26 minutes ago, quigley said:

Venables defenses at OU were top 10 for eight straight years after Mike left. This is despite him him a couple of zeros on the the defensive staff. I did the homework on earlier today. In those eight years Venables was at OU as the sole DC OU finished 3, 8, 5, and 6 including a national championship game. To stay they weren't a real factor isn't reality.

The only season yo OU came close to an NC was 2008, which was primarily attributable to Bradford and the offense.  So I stand by statement.  And you can fuck off because I’m done with you.

edit:  would be interested to know which of your teams 2004-11 that you think were a factor in the NC.  Other than being roadkill for USC, lol.

Edited by cochamps

29 minutes ago, quigley said:

Your grammar sucks, just like your state.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

What kind of bizarre adjusted stats are you using to find OU had top 10 defenses for 8 straight years after 2003?   The defense was still stout through 2007, and it actually was really good in 2009 (though the team tanked because Bradford got hurt in game 1).   But 2008, 2010 and 2011 were not elite defenses.  

Good question.

23 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

What kind of bizarre adjusted stats are you using to find OU had top 10 defenses for 8 straight years after 2003?   The defense was still stout through 2007, and it actually was really good in 2009 (though the team tanked because Bradford got hurt in game 1).   But 2008, 2010 and 2011 were not elite defenses.  

22 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Good question.

Let me show you the math. The most widely recognized adjusted states from the time, FEI and SP+.

Year   Defensive F+ rank (FEI and SP+ averaged)
2008        17 (2nd best in B12)
2009         2
2010        13 (best in B12)
2011         9 (2nd best in B12)

Average 10

From footballoutsiders.

Edited by quigley

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

How strictly are the "analysts can't directly coach the players" rules actually followed/enforced in college football? I assume pretty much not at all but idk..

GP as analyst makes a lot of sense. He probably doesn't mind a low-stress year without all the recruiting etc. And we don't need him doing that stuff. Just let him coach.

This article talks about off-the-field role...

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/05/04/tcu-football-how-jerry-kill-s-role-as-head-coach-of-offense-will-work?ref=article_preview_img 

Longtime college football head coach Jerry Kill joined TCU in an off-field role officially titled “special assistant to the head coach” in February. But if you ask Kill what exactly his role will be at TCU, it stretches much further than just a simple advisor. 

TCU head coach Gary Patterson ranks among the top defensive gurus in America. To support him, Kill will take on a role that is being described as akin to a head coach of offense. 

Since Kill is not one of the 10 official on-field assistant coaches, he cannot technically participate in on-field instruction of players. However, he will be involved in direction, schematics and evaluation of offensive coaches, along with evaluation of Patterson himself. 

“I coach the coaches,” Kill said. “I watch the film with them, go over all the techniques, everything we’re doing. I can be there during game day, make recruiting suggestions. I can do anything off the field, and during practice, I can be on the field. You can coach a lot and not have to say anything.” 

Kill and Patterson’s relationship goes back decades. Both are Kansas natives who played for Dennis Franchione – Patterson at Kansas State, Kill at Southwestern (Kan.) – and Kill even served as best man at Patterson’s wedding. Kill believes their close relationship gives him a unique ability to work with Patterson to fix TCU’s issues. 

“We can talk in a different way because we go back so long,” Kill said. “There’s a deep amount of respect. I know him better than anyone in Fort Worth.” 

TCU’s offense has regressed over the past several seasons. After ranking No. 3 in total offense in Trevone Boykin’s final season in 2015, the Horned Frogs have steadily declined. TCU fell to No. 45 during a run to the Big 12 title game in 2017, before falling off a cliff to No. 98 in 2018. The offense jumps to No. 62 in 2019, but still just No. 7 in the Big 12. 

Uncoincidentally, TCU fell from 11-3 in 2017 to 5-7 in 2019, just the fourth losing season of the Patterson era. Kill noted that Patterson had to do more work coaching and focusing on offense the past two seasons than in previous seasons. The hope is Kill can shoulder some of that responsibility. 

“I’m trying to take some things off his plate so he can do what he does best,” Kill said. “When we can take things off his plate, we can win games.” 

Kill spent 21 years as a head coach at every level from Division-II to Power Five, and had a knack for getting the most out of underachieving programs. He helped set the stage for Northern Illinois’ resurgence in the late 2000s, and then took Minnesota to back-to-back eight-win seasons for the first time in a decade. 

However, health issues pushed Kill out of head coaching in 2015. He’s spent the last few years going around the nation and working as a consultant for big-time programs, including Kansas State and Notre Dame. Kill spent the 2019 season helping TCU staff alum Justin Fuente rebuild his running game; the Hokies went 6-2 after his arrival. 

Kill will be asked to stabilize an offensive coaching staff filled with moving pieces. Offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie is entering his fourth season in the primary play calling role. Former offensive coordinator Doug Meacham, who spearheaded the offensive innovation that led to a Big 12 championship in 2014, is back on campus as inside receivers and tight ends coach. Co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach Curtis Luper is also gone, replaced by Bryan Applewhite. 

Patterson was noncommittal about how this structure could work in practice during a media availability last week. 

“I don’t know. We’ll see. Right now that’s for me to know and you to find out,” Patterson said last week. “We’d know a lot more about it if we had gone through more than four practices in the spring. 

“Right now, it gave us an opportunity to really go back to the beginning instead of rushing things. This time in some ways has been very helpful for our offense to get to know each other and figure out what our strengths are.”

Kill made his top priority evaluating how to improve fundamentals across the roster, but especially on the offensive line. TCU only went through four spring practices before the COVID-19 pandemic shut everything down. 

“According to Coach Patterson, that was the best four practices the offense has had in about five or six years,” Kill said. “So I think we’re on the right track.” 

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Any update on the defensive staff moves? @Big Woodrows

4 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

haven't seen anything significant on IT, sorry

This is about it from the mod only thread. 

I think it’s unlikely Gary Patterson will take an on-field role at Texas. Analyst is more likely.

There was some thought if OU kept Stoops on for a bridge year, Patterson would be his DC.

While that‘s not what many of you want to hear, IT does believe Texas has a big development up its sleeve to address the defense. Working on that now.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is about it from the mod only thread. 

I think it’s unlikely Gary Patterson will take an on-field role at Texas. Analyst is more likely.

There was some thought if OU kept Stoops on for a bridge year, Patterson would be his DC.

While that‘s not what many of you want to hear, IT does believe Texas has a big development up its sleeve to address the defense. Working on that now.

Following up on this comment - Nahlin mentioned on the YouTube with Burton that he didn’t think Texas would have an on field position open for Patterson. Gave the impression that Texas was lining up a big hire. 

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lake + PK + GP head coach of analysizoring might just work

Do not want.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1525316/brock-huard-baffling-uw-huskies-jimmy-lake/amp/

Spoiler

Brock Huard, FOX Sports college football analyst and former star UW Huskies quarterback in the 1990s, is unsurprisingly not pleased whatsoever with what transpired on Saturday, and really what’s happened throughout all of 2021.

“It just continues to just kind of baffle me. It’s baffled me all season long that they make football so hard,” Huard said Monday morning during his daily segment on 710 ESPN Seattle’s Mike Salk Show. “… They just make football so, so darn difficult.”

Huard said that the Huskies’ top two cornerbacks and receivers are far and away the best players on the team, but that Washington for some reason doesn’t play to those strengths.

“They don’t take shots. They don’t. They’re not aggressive,” he said. “They let defenses just sit on you and dictate to you, and then defensively you give up 300 yards rushing again. You’re one of the 20 worst rush defenses in America … Yeah, their offense is bad, but stylistically they’re letting people just run and run and run and run … It’s been confusing to me since Day 1. And we’re nine games in, they’re 4-5, exactly where they should be.”

11 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Do not want.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1525316/brock-huard-baffling-uw-huskies-jimmy-lake/amp/

Hide contents

Brock Huard, FOX Sports college football analyst and former star UW Huskies quarterback in the 1990s, is unsurprisingly not pleased whatsoever with what transpired on Saturday, and really what’s happened throughout all of 2021.

“It just continues to just kind of baffle me. It’s baffled me all season long that they make football so hard,” Huard said Monday morning during his daily segment on 710 ESPN Seattle’s Mike Salk Show. “… They just make football so, so darn difficult.”

Huard said that the Huskies’ top two cornerbacks and receivers are far and away the best players on the team, but that Washington for some reason doesn’t play to those strengths.

“They don’t take shots. They don’t. They’re not aggressive,” he said. “They let defenses just sit on you and dictate to you, and then defensively you give up 300 yards rushing again. You’re one of the 20 worst rush defenses in America … Yeah, their offense is bad, but stylistically they’re letting people just run and run and run and run … It’s been confusing to me since Day 1. And we’re nine games in, they’re 4-5, exactly where they should be.”

Did you actually watch the video?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, quigley said:

Let me show you the math. The most widely recognized adjusted states from the time, FEI and SP+.

Year   Defensive F+ rank (FEI and SP+ averaged)
2008        17 (2nd best in B12)
2009         2
2010        13 (best in B12)
2011         9 (2nd best in B12)

Average 10

From footballoutsiders.

May want to check that math Cochise 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

May want to check that math Cochise 

I'm getting 10.25 on average. What he isn't factoring in is that no one gives a shit how good OU's defenses were during a period where they routinely took it up the ass from Texas and did nothing nationally relevant but trip over their own dicks and embarass themselves (oh wait - come to think of it that's all they've done since then, too). 

I mean - if Venables is trying to bring that golden-era back then I say let's let him do it. We could go for another title and maybe we won't fuck it up this time and actually win 2 or 3 like we were supposed to. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm getting 10.25 on average. What he isn't factoring in is that no one gives a shit how good OU's defenses were during a period where they routinely took it up the ass from Texas and did nothing nationally relevant but trip over their own dicks and embarass themselves (oh wait - come to think of it that's all they've done since then, too). 

I mean - if Venables is trying to bring that golden-era back then I say let's let him do it. We could go for another title and maybe we won't fuck it up this time and actually win 2 or 3 like we were supposed to. 

28 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

He didn’t say they averaged top 10, correct? They WERE top ten for 8 straight years.

Correct.  10.25 isn’t exactly 10 and he left off a few years.  Maybe he’s right and it’s over 8 years but please bring the data if you’re gonna make claims.  Also a difference between a top 10 average and being in the top ten for 8 straight years

venables could very well be the next stoops but stoops was an hc before 40 and Brent is pushing 50, he’s not some wunderkid.   I felt hopeless when Riley was their hc.  That feeling is gone…..for now.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, quigley said:

You combined an ad hominem attack and deflection in the same insult!

Keep going.

17th in 2008 is not exactly top ten, Einstein.  Nor is 13th in 2010.  And you conveniently omitted 2004-06.  So how exactlty was he top ten every year after Mikey left, according to your own stats? A little exaggeration perhaps?