2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Okie lite folks think GP is a candidate for their DC job. I have no intel but part of me thinks Tosh lupoi may be in play. One of Sarks boys 

Lupoi is (to my knowledge) still employed by the Jaguars. Also, was noted last year that he wouldn't come back to college for anything less than a DC position (at which he sucked).

7 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Tosh for Texas, my B. 

I wouldn’t understand that move at all. He doesn’t coach DBs, which is the position coach we need to replace - and he was a terrible DC so we certainly don’t want him there. He’s a great recruiter/bag man so I’d love to have him from that perspective. Is Choate leaving?

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

I wouldn’t understand that move at all. He doesn’t coach DBs, which is the position coach we need to replace - and he was a terrible DC so we certainly don’t want him there. He’s a great recruiter/bag man so I’d love to have him from that perspective. Is Choate leaving?

Yeah, I’m just trying to put two and two together Nahlin has said that it was premature to write Joseph off. Gideon is primary on a bunch of 23’s and is a letterman. So maybe Secondary is not the position that’s getting targeted. I could see Choate being the guy, his name has been in EVERY West coast shortlist for opening. If Joseph is staying it’s just hard for me to see them giving Gideon the axe. Idk I’m just speculating bro, can’t wait for actual news. 

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Elko is in the top 2 for Duke and Elijah Robinson looks to be off to Penn State.  aggy going to have to overhaul the defensive staff.

That could hurt aggy and be sad. Related questions- is there a coach that’s worse that Ian’s his side of the ball than Jimbo on offense?  If he ends up with 2 below average head sets (his and DC) they could squander a lot of talent and go 8-4 and finish 4th or 5th in their division. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Top 2 for Duke, allegedly, is Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) and Elko.

Elliot is, allegedly, Virginia's top choice.  Elliot reportedly prefers the Virginia job.

If Elko takes the Duke job you have to wonder woh from his staff he'd want to bring with him. 

Noe of this probably happens until after NSD1.

I'd argue the HC jobs want to be wrapped up by this weekend....

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Some poster said the other lead candidate for the UVA job botched the interview and allegedly suggested lowering academic standards for entrance to get better talent.

Well I mean it's a valid point but it's also UVA and they're historically less pliable on academic integrity than say Stanford (hi Harbaugh!).

42 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Top 2 for Duke, allegedly, is Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) and Elko.

Elliot is, allegedly, Virginia's top choice.  Elliot reportedly prefers the Virginia job.

If Elko takes the Duke job you have to wonder woh from his staff he'd want to bring with him. 

Noe of this probably happens until after NSD1.

I thought UVA was looking at the Penn State Co-DC (Poindexter) for the HC job and that’s why the position might be coming open for Robinson?

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I thought UVA was looking at the Penn State Co-DC (Poindexter) for the HC job and that’s why the position might be coming open for Robinson?

Looks like you're right that if Poindexter doesn't get the UVA job there might not be a spot for Robinson at Penn St.

BO&W just a few posts up explains the Poindexter rumor - apparently he bombed the interview.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like you're right that if Poindexter doesn't get the UVA job there might not be a spot for Robinson at Penn St.

BO&W just a few posts up explains the Poindexter rumor - apparently he bombed the interview.

Maybe Robinson would be replacing Brent Pry, who was PSU’s other co-DC that left to be the VT coach? It’s all so confusing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If Elko gets it would he consider Robinson for DC?

54 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Some poster said the other lead candidate for the UVA job botched the interview and allegedly suggested lowering academic standards for entrance to get better talent.

LOL at the plot twist of someone named Poindexter suggesting that academic standards should be lowered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Kerry Cooks is following BK to LSU, presumably to coach safeties. This probably rules out the Joseph->LSU stuff Hamilton was pushing last week.

Guess we're just going to roll with the exact same coaching staff next year?

I’m a little let down by this

5 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Kerry Cooks is following BK to LSU, presumably to coach safeties. This probably rules out the Joseph->LSU stuff Hamilton was pushing last week.

Guess we're just going to roll with the exact same coaching staff next year?

It’s been reported multiple times by CTJ that staff changes will happen after NSD. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I work with a pretty connected LSU alum.  They are seeing what coaching transitions in the portal age look like.  Very concerned with the outflow of talent.

I do think the potential costs of coaching transitions may be higher now, with the portal, than in the past and is another consideration in trying to tweak a staff to work versus wholesale changes.

We are the beneficiary of "relative" stability this year.  

I think changes absolutely need to happen.  Many things didn't work right this year.  But I am glad we have some level of continuity this year.

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That's what Klatt recently said Sark must now do with the Texas Program -- "take it down to the studs"

In the 8th minute...     (3  weeks ago)

I wouldn’t say what Sark is doing is quite that radical, but we are going to have a lot of turnover for a second offseason. Napier has sent half his recruiting class packing and they are #76 right now a week before signing day. It’s his first season though, so now’s the time to do it. 

13 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

That’s exactly what Sark is trying to do, our fan base just doesn’t have the balls for it.

This.  Sark looks like he might turn over half the roster by the time we get to Spring Ball.  Now even with Herman's recruits this year shouldn't have been as bad as it was - but you have to give him the opportunity to get his guys in.

• Hook 'Em 2