2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

7 minutes ago, Goodman said:

It’d be nice if we saw the inspection report. Tough to be bullish with what his leadership and S&C showed this season.

S&C is also an extension of culture, and we know full well there was very little strong leadership amongst players

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I doubt Patterson has signed any papers. And if he’s an analyst and gets a better offer he wants, he will bolt. So not only would we want to hope that we’d announce it, we’d want it to be more than an analyst spot. 

Absolutely.  I'm all for punting PK back to Puget.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Jeff Howe and Rod Babers on the blitz said that they have heard that more than two on field staff changes will be made and they said GP would not come as an analyst, only with an on field role and they have heard that he is in play. 

Dude, you're like a week or two late on the GP news.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah, you're 1-2 weeks late on that GP news brother.

IT said last week that if it was gonna happen it would be before the championship games. Since then, radio silence. I know it’s not technically new info but as of this weeks Blitz Howe and Babers were saying no analyst, on field job. So I thought I’d share

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:58 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Counterpoint: The jury is out on Flood, Ash was 1 year, and Mehringer helped tank this program significantly all on his own.

I think Flood has been a godsend for the oline.  The stats back that up. Texas got better in 2021 over 2020.  Alabama got worse once Flood left. They dropped in every category for the oline under Doug Marrone. 

2020 Stats:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2020

2021 Stats:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2021

Flood makes a difference. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve heard Patterson is done.  Hope so.  Would like him on staff.  

I really hope so.  Hopefully with someone who can coach/scheme the backend better, pk reverts to his mean.  Even a marginal improvement in the defense should be dramatic.  Honestly, on paper pk and Patterson are two of the better schematic guys in the country.  Was really hoping Joseph was out the door but looks like Gideon might be the casualty, though I guess we'll know soon.  

19 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

I think Flood has been a godsend for the oline.  The stats back that up. Texas got better in 2021 over 2020.  Alabama got worse once Flood left. They dropped in every category for the oline under Doug Marrone. 

2020 Stats:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2020

2021 Stats:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2021

Flood makes a difference. 

Maybe. I’m not down on him. But having Bijan actually take meaningful snaps helps the OL look better. Our line was still trash all year…godsend seems like a bit of a stretch. 

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe. I’m not down on him. But having Bijan actually take meaningful snaps helps the OL look better. Our line was still trash all year…godsend seems like a bit of a stretch. 

The OL play was good enough the last 4-5 games of the year. The QB play and defense lost way more games than the OL this year.

Flood is good. Real good. I saw actual improvement as the season went along which is a good sign.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/8/2021 at 5:50 PM, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  Sark looks like he might turn over half the roster by the time we get to Spring Ball.  Now even with Herman's recruits this year shouldn't have been as bad as it was - but you have to give him the opportunity to get his guys in.

Be careful dishing out common sense, that doesn't fly around here.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Flood is a capable coach.  After dealing with the shit lines we produced for the last 12 years, getting  a coach that actually understands schemes, assignments and teaching is a godsend. Now Flood needs to turn that into recruits and show the development.  

We lost the Brocks to Alabama and Jackson to Ohio State.  Keeping the best OL in Texas is important.  People saying that Sark and Flood can’t recruit and the same ones hating on the Brocks for going to Alabama…..they were recruited to Alabama by Sark and Flood.  I still say F the Brocks but that is food for thought. 

From 247

Spoiler

The potential of Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian adding former TCU head coach Gary Patterson to his coaching staff could soon be a reality, or at least there’s real potential for things to head in that direction. On the heels of a recent meeting with Sarkisian, Horns247 has learned that Patterson is expected to be on the Forty Acres as early as Thursday to meet with coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski and the Longhorns’ defensive staff to further explore the possibility of a role on that side of the ball for Patterson.

The meeting, a source with knowledge of the situation indicated, is said to be one where Patterson and the Texas coaches will feel one another out to see if there’s a fit within the program that makes sense for the man who led TCU to 181 victories, 11 finishes in the Associated Press Top 25 and six conference championships (including a share of the Big 12 title in 2014) over 20 full seasons at the helm in Fort Worth. It’s currently unclear what the next step would be for either party following the meeting.

What’s becoming clear, however, is Patterson’s potential role with the Longhorns. Horns247 has learned that Patterson isn’t interested in a traditional analyst role and his role wouldn’t be one where he would replace Kwiatkowski as coordinator.

If Patterson were to join the Texas staff, sources indicate he would take on a role similar to the one he hired Jerry Kill to fill for the Horned Frogs over the last two seasons. Leading up to Oct. 31 when Kill became interim head coach after TCU and Patterson parted ways, the recently-hired New Mexico State head coach held the title of special assistant to the head coach in charge of offense.

Kill wasn’t one of TCU’s 10 full-time assistant coaches, meaning he couldn’t actively coach players on the field. What Kill could do, however, was oversee things and be heavily involved the day-to-day operations on that side of the ball while not being the in-game play-caller (Kill wore a headset for games, for what it’s worth, but he reportedly wasn’t in direct communication with the offensive staff throughout the game).

“I coach the coaches,” Kill said in the spring of 2020 when discussing his role with the Horned Frogs. “I watch the film with them, go over all the techniques, everything we’re doing. I can be there during game day, make recruiting suggestions. I can do anything off the field, and during practice, I can be on the field. You can coach a lot and not have to say anything.”

The Longhorns could use an all-hands-on-deck approach to fixing a defense that finished the team’s 5-7 campaign in 2021 as one of the worst in school history. Kwiatkowski’s first Texas defense was only the seventh in school history to give up 5,000 or more yards in a season (5,107), while the 2021 stoppers posted the following dubious single-season marks in program history: the second worst in yards per rushing attempt allowed (5.15), the third-worst scoring defense (31.1 points per game allowed), the third worst in yards per play allowed (6.03), the fourth worst in total yards per game allowed (425.6) and the seventh worst in rushing yards per game allowed (201.6).

Multiple sources have told Horns247 that the Patterson-to-Texas scenario has been made possible due in no small measure to the relationship Patterson has with Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte. Before he was hired to take over in Austin for then-interim Texas athletic director Mike Perrin on Dec. 9, 2017, Del Conte was TCU’s athletic director for eight years, a period of time that included Patterson leading the football program to an undefeated 2010 season, which concluded with a Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin, and the Horned Frogs’ transition into the Big 12 Conference (under Patterson, TCU has won seven of 10 gridiron meetings with the Longhorns since joining the league in 2012).

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jeff Howe reporting that Gary Patterson is meeting with PK and the defensive staff on Thursday to talk about a potential role on staff and see if it would be a good fit.

I hope that PK gets a text during the meeting that one of our defensive coaches is leaving. GP can just slide on in. Just slide in.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm pretty sure this meeting is just an introduction and the role is going to be similar to Kill at TCU.

they've already met.  I can't imagine that the role isn't already decided but don't have any certainty on that.

I did hear he was in over a week ago but strange it hasn't been announced.  I can only assume there may be some contractual/money issue for Patterson if he takes a new job before a certain date.  we'll see.