2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

Just now, Mason Ramsey said:

I would love to hire a Houston equivalent of Chris Gilbert

Would be a good idea. Those guys can pay huge dividends. We don't land Neto without Chris Gilbert. 

If he wants an on-field spot on this staff, I have no problem with it. I wonder if he left Lancaster though because he wanted a lower stress role where he was in the background more.

32 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Yeah, heard that song and dance before with Hand.  Fuck that.  I would rather lose PK than Davis.  We don't need these stud DLs coming here only to provide roadblocks for our - checks notes - inept LB play.  At this point, I have the same amount of fucks to give about the optics of firing him as I do the optics of our NIL deals to the rest of the country.  Zero. Zip.  Zilch.  

PK has a long track record of being an elite of the elite DC.  I am no expert, but I did not see anything schematically that suggested he was an idiot.  I saw us playing walk ons and having a front 7 that had zero ability to pressure the QB or stop the run.

PK should be given a longer leash.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Every time I see a good WR coach getting a new job (Colbert, Emmett Jones, etc.) I get pissed off. Why is Coleman still here????

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Colbert is meh. Not as good of a recruiter as he is made out to be. USC had to hit the portal hard for WR his last few years (a few of which came from Texas).

Napier will have a good staff though. He's coached under Saban and knows the recruiting game he is going to have to play.

Colbert's got off-field stuff too. He's skating by on past performance and name recognition.

If you get freak athletes and talented receivers in your room, you are going to have NFL receivers. The guys like Andre Coleman who have to brag on their one success story (Tyler Lockett) over and over to get jobs have huge red flags.

The number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 job of a WR coach is to recruit. Then further down the priority list it's nice if you can give some technical tips here and there to guys. Things like "teaching guys to get off press coverage" as a requirement for a receivers coach is laughable. That isn't a special coaching skill that only certain guys are able to teach. If you have Xavier Worthy, he is going to get off of press coverage easily. If you have Brennan Eagles and Kai Money, they are going get jammed up at the line and not stand a chance. 

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

I would think Gilbert left Lancaster wanting a less involved, off-field role. Also has he ever coached RBs / can he add value on-field? It's not all about recruiting.

I'm actually not opposed to the Harris promotion if he can actually coach, which I have no clue on. He may not be a plus Director of Recruiting, but he'd likely be a good recruiter relative to other position coaches (like Drayton).

I'm liking this Pitt name although he seems like a better WR coach candidate tbh.

Nope. It was a tough decision for him. He came ultimately because it quadrupled his salary and he got to live in Austin. I’m telling you guys he works really hard. He does what is asked of him and more, ask around and see what Bob Shipley did compared to what Chris Gilbert does 

• Like 3

Nope. It was a tough decision for him. He came ultimately because it quadrupled his salary and he got to live in Austin. I’m telling you guys he works really hard. He does what is asked of him and more, ask around and see what Bob Shipley did compared to what Chris Gilbert does 

Put Gilbert on the field. He’s a dude.

Sort of related to us, going forward at least...

"Oregon: Texas A&M associate AD for football Marshall Malchow is headed to join Dan Lanning's staff at Oregon as chief of staff sources tell FootballScoop. Pete Thamel first shared the news this evening. Malchow previously served as director of player personnel at Georgia (with Dan Lanning) where he was recognized by his peers as the Player Personnel director of the year."

@SydneyCarton @closetojumping

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sort of related to us, going forward at least...

"Oregon: Texas A&M associate AD for football Marshall Malchow is headed to join Dan Lanning's staff at Oregon as chief of staff sources tell FootballScoop. Pete Thamel first shared the news this evening. Malchow previously served as director of player personnel at Georgia (with Dan Lanning) where he was recognized by his peers as the Player Personnel director of the year."

@SydneyCarton @closetojumping

Malchow is a major, major bagman. That is a big loss no longer how much they spin it.

• Like 2

Malchow is a major, major bagman. That is a big loss no longer how much they spin it.

Not sure how bag game works but can’t they just get another guy and make him the bagman?

I see a lot of people say X is a bagman but can’t anyone be a bagman if you give them the money?
  • Hook 'Em 2

I've done some reading up on Marrion, the Pitt WR coach gaining fame for the GoGo offense. I like the idea of adding his system to our staff, but I'm not sure how that marriage with Sark would go. GoGo is based on a lot of triple option concepts and a lot of benefit comes from having your QB as a runner. Then again, it's not like Pickett put up great rushing stats. And having more 2 back sets would be really nice given our personnel. And he describes as a power running, vertical shot philosophy which matches Sark. I kind of see it this way: 

- Adding him for scheme benefit is a unique and big plus. You don't get that from a lot of assistants. His stuff is being copied all over football (Kliff and Riley both used it this past season). He's likely to leave for an OC job pretty quick, but I could see him coming to UT as a growth opportunity. He's taken positions to learn under offensive minds in the past

- Development is a question mark but probably a plus. Every school he's been at has seen immediate and significant improvement

- Recruiting is a question mark but probably a plus. Young, player's coach, went through the JUCO and homeless to P5 player to HS coach trajectory

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think they go for an NFL RB coach. They are serious about player development and getting guys to the next level. It would be a good move, but how do you convince one to come down to college. 

We paid Drayton more than he would make in the NFL. They came calling every year and he kept turning them down.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby:

’m told Gary Patterson and Steve Sarkisian spoke in person yesterday.

The outcome of the discussion?

Unknown.

However, Patterson is not seeking a typical analyst or consulting role. If he were to move from TCU, where they have a statue of him in front of the stadium, it would have to be for a role that has more meat on the bone and he does not want an on-field role at this time.

So what could that role possibly be?

Maybe a GM for football. But a GM title seems to have a negative connotation to other coaches and is a bit of an overreach in the college sports model because, in college, the GM would undoubtedly report to the head coach, not the athletic director.

Perhaps there’s a role that combines director of opponent scouting, self-scouting and personnel evaluation (team, recruiting and portal). Self-scouting is an area where I think many college programs have inherent weaknesses.

How will Arkansas attack our defensive front? How will Oklahoma defend the outside zone? Those are questions Texas had some answers for last year, but didn’t necessarily always have the counter punch ready after an initial fix from the other coaching box.

We are unsure at this time the results of the meeting between the two. We’ll let you know more as we get more information.

14 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Colbert is meh. Not as good of a recruiter as he is made out to be. USC had to hit the portal hard for WR his last few years (a few of which came from Texas).

Napier will have a good staff though. He's coached under Saban and knows the recruiting game he is going to have to play.

That might be true, but he really had a shit product to sell at USC. 

9 hours ago, immamac said:

I think they go for an NFL RB coach. They are serious about player development and getting guys to the next level. It would be a good move, but how do you convince one to come down to college. 

I am just not big on this idea. RB is one of the easiest positions to coach. Lot of the coaching comes down to blitz pick ups and blocking. Not a lot of coaching when it comes to when the player has the ball in his hands. Texas had the "best" Rb coach and really struggled in this area. I would like to see a volume recruiter come in here.

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I am just not big on this idea. RB is one of the easiest positions to coach. Lot of the coaching comes down to blitz pick ups and blocking. Not a lot of coaching when it comes to when the player has the ball in his hands. Texas had the "best" Rb coach and really struggled in this area. I would like to see a volume recruiter come in here.

Yeah, you don't really need much technique and coaching ability to coach RBs at the college level.

Need a volume recruiter. 

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

DId Kelly retain Frank Wilson? 

Retain ??

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1996 Nicholls State (SA)
1997–1999 Edna Karr HS (LA) (assistant)
2000–2003 O. P. Walker HS (LA)
2005–2007 Ole Miss (RB/ST)
2008 Southern Miss (RB/RC)
2009 Tennessee (WR)
2010–2015 LSU (AHC/RB/RC)
2016–2019 UTSA
2020–2021 McNeese State
2022–present LSU (AHC)

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Retain ??

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1996 Nicholls State (SA)
1997–1999 Edna Karr HS (LA) (assistant)
2000–2003 O. P. Walker HS (LA)
2005–2007 Ole Miss (RB/ST)
2008 Southern Miss (RB/RC)
2009 Tennessee (WR)
2010–2015 LSU (AHC/RB/RC)
2016–2019 UTSA
2020–2021 McNeese State
2022–present LSU (AHC)

I thought he went back last year, my bad

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby:

’m told Gary Patterson and Steve Sarkisian spoke in person yesterday.

The outcome of the discussion?

Unknown.

However, Patterson is not seeking a typical analyst or consulting role. If he were to move from TCU, where they have a statue of him in front of the stadium, it would have to be for a role that has more meat on the bone and he does not want an on-field role at this time.

So what could that role possibly be?

Maybe a GM for football. But a GM title seems to have a negative connotation to other coaches and is a bit of an overreach in the college sports model because, in college, the GM would undoubtedly report to the head coach, not the athletic director.

Perhaps there’s a role that combines director of opponent scouting, self-scouting and personnel evaluation (team, recruiting and portal). Self-scouting is an area where I think many college programs have inherent weaknesses.

How will Arkansas attack our defensive front? How will Oklahoma defend the outside zone? Those are questions Texas had some answers for last year, but didn’t necessarily always have the counter punch ready after an initial fix from the other coaching box.

We are unsure at this time the results of the meeting between the two. We’ll let you know more as we get more information.

Color me naive, but I don’t think there’s any way this progresses to an in-person meeting without most of the details already known.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Still wonder if Coleman moves to an off-field role, freeing up WR Coach spot. Then between the new coaches (RB & WR) Sark better add a quality recruiter.  

Gerry said in IT recap video, Sark probably considers what areas of weakness his staff has when he adds another "volume/elite recruiter" coach.

Gerry:  Does Sark think he needs more help in Louisiana, DFW, Houston, or Southeast areas -- where does he see weaknesses in the current staff.

Bobby Burton believes Sark should focus on "elite recruiter" as opposed to region of strength...

Edited by LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gerry said in IT recap video, Sark probably considers what areas of weakness his staff has when he adds another "volume/elite recruiter" coach.

Gerry:  Does Sark think he needs more help in Louisiana, DFW, Houston, or Southeast areas -- where does he see weaknesses in the current staff.

Bobby Burton believes Sark should focus on "elite recruiter" as opposed to region of strength...

I think maybe tie into both elite recruiter/area. 

I feel like we need a similar guy to Gilbert from the Houston area....maybe as an off field guy.

For the RB coach get an elite recruiter volume recruiter, for WR....get a guy who can recruit that position well.