The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

9 hours ago, Gladeite said:
Count me in the 5mm Sheridan fan club.  This was around 1970.  No telling how many thousands of pellets went down the barrel.  I would save up my money to go to Treasure City and get a new yellow box of 5mm pellets.  Nothing quite like the feeling of material wealth that was attributed to carrying a full box of pellets.  I did not need anything else, until about 1975 and a church hayride changed my focus to girls.  

I bought a 5mm Sheridan Blue Streak for my son when he was 9 or 10. He could barely pump the thing a few times and didn’t shoot it very much before he moved on to a 22lr. A while after I bought the gun, Academy or Walmart had the 5mm pellets on clearance at a great price and I bought a lifetime supply of them. Probably have 15+ 500 count tins in my ammo closet. I use it around the house for my backyard varminting. It will still thump a raccoon in the head with good results.

E2C03FDF-8684-4909-89E3-E9918D74884B.thumb.jpeg.d5b3fb1165dacf36c3fb20d4af8de693.jpeg

Edited by davidg
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, deft said:

Can you put an obsidian 45 on a 300blk and safely fire subs? I recognize that the performance wouldn’t be as great as with my sdn6 but it’s what I have on hand at the moment.

I’d say yes. 

2 hours ago, deft said:

Can you put an obsidian 45 on a 300blk and safely fire subs? I recognize that the performance wouldn’t be as great as with my sdn6 but it’s what I have on hand at the moment.

Check the ratings sheet for what it can handle.  May only be rated for .300 subs and for certain barrel lengths.   

Check the ratings sheet for what it can handle.  May only be rated for .300 subs and for certain barrel lengths.   

It’s rated for 300 BLK in an 8” or longer barrel. Thread pattern may not be the same. I think 45 is .578” diameter vs .9mm which is typically 1/2”, but try it. Rugged sells an adaptor for the diff thread diameter I think:

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/suppressor-guide-cat/caliber-ratings/

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/3lugflowchart.pdf

Here’s where it says you need the 9mm piston and booster system, which I think will adapt your 45 to the 1/2 tread pitch of most 9mm barrels.

91c2ea8c35cf0196947de253a28e4264.png

Isn’t a 300blk barrel 5/8” though?

Edit: yup it’s 5/8x24. Obsidian sells a direct mount for $80 that replaces the pistol piston inside the can so it could be directly threaded onto the blk rifle. They also sell proprietary muzzle device and piston replacement for about $300 but then it could be threaded onto another host with a similar muzzle device. I don’t see the need for that in my application.

The only question is if the muzzle device add some kind of sacrificial protection to the cans internals. I thought I read that as being the case at one point with my other dedicated 30 can.

Squirrels use my back fence as a highway between yards and it drives the dogs nuts.  The tops of the fences are capped, so it's a perfect little system they have to move between yards.  Fukers.  They'll sit there and chatter at the dogs and get them so spun up. 

• Like 1

Isn’t a 300blk barrel 5/8” though?

Edit: yup it’s 5/8x24. Obsidian sells a direct mount for $80 that replaces the pistol piston inside the can so it could be directly threaded onto the blk rifle. They also sell proprietary muzzle device and piston replacement for about $300 but then it could be threaded onto another host with a similar muzzle device. I don’t see the need for that in my application.

The only question is if the muzzle device add some kind of sacrificial protection to the cans internals. I thought I read that as being the case at one point with my other dedicated 30 can.

You’re correct. I’m sick and brainfarted on the 300/9mm confusion.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Squirrels use my back fence as a highway between yards and it drives the dogs nuts.  The tops of the fences are capped, so it's a perfect little system they have to move between yards.  Fukers.  They'll sit there and chatter at the dogs and get them so spun up. 

Go on....

36 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Man, they don’t feed worth a piss through semi auto though.

They don't feed AT ALL in semi's.  There's no powder in them essentially.  Just a primer, a cartridge, and the projectile.  

I use a lever-action

• Like 1

"Hollywood quiet" is what we called it.  .22lr subs with a can make almost zero noise.  

The cycling is way louder, and can spook trigger person as it is an unusual sound to hear vs. the pop. I know I thought something in the action was off at first. I even joked with the sales guy that he was trying to sell me a busted rig.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

They don't feed AT ALL in semi's.  There's no powder in them essentially.  Just a primer, a cartridge, and the projectile.  

I use a lever-action

One shot. One kill. My little nutria killer. Hypothetically. 

IMG_8238.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

IMG_8238.jpeg

Nutria, beavers, and porcupines were always kills on site - the first two destroy stock tanks and make it dangerous for animals to water as they can get stuck in the mud and porcupines will pop curious cows in the face, making it impossible for them to feed and it always gets infected.  

• Like 1

I saw a BIG porcupine on a ranch I was hunting in Rock Springs and let it waddle off.  Ranch owner said I should have shot it for the cattle reason.  Also this fatty would have made a cool mount.  Eh.  I am torn on that.

Nutria?  haha basically a feral hog.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Nutria will also come into the yard and cut down your magnolia tree you helped your mom plant even though there’s plenty of other stupid scrub trees around the stock tank, or so I’ve been told. Asshole.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 12:43 PM, BabaYaga said:

Sub-sonic Aguila 22lrs......I hear......work well.....theoretically.

I really like Aguila’s stuff. 

On 2/7/2024 at 3:36 PM, Lat22 said:

IMG_8238.jpeg

Can you get the full accuracy of that gun using that sight?  Closest ricochet I’ve ever had was with my old long barreled Mark II, ~25 years ago.  Shooing at a post out in the middle of a pond, a legit 65-70 yds out.  Ping, then a few secs later, landed just at my feet.   Uh, let’s get back to the turtle killing. 

14 hours ago, huge said:

I saw a BIG porcupine on a ranch I was hunting in Rock Springs and let it waddle off.  Ranch owner said I should have shot it for the cattle reason.  Also this fatty would have made a cool mount.  Eh.  I am torn on that.

Nutria?  haha basically a feral hog.

Yeah, if unchecked, it's a horrible, horrible way for cattle to go.  They get a face full of quills, it gets infected, they can't eat.  It sucks.  

Nutria are hell on stock tanks.  They dig out the embankments and create these sloppy, muddy marsh pools that they like to slop around in.  Fine, but cattle come to drink, get stuck, and even worse go in face first, the first two feet go under, and it forces their heads down and into the water.  Me and a cousin had to deal with this once.  Old cow drowned and we had to get a rope around her and pull her out before she spoiled the entire tank.  Good god that was awful.  She was bloated and disgusting.  We're both gagging.  We finally had to use bandanas lightly soaked with kerosene or something.  So fuck those swamp rats.  

The only nutria I ever saw was from a window seat in the Magic Time Machine looking at Town Lake. 
That fat sucker crawled right up out of the water into some reeds not 10’ from our table. 
I think there would’ve been some repercussions from the restaurant staff & patrons if I had shot it through the plate glass window.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

The only nutria I ever saw was from a window seat in the Magic Time Machine looking at Town Lake. 
That fat sucker crawled right up out of the water into some reeds not 10’ from our table. 
I think there would’ve been some repercussions from the restaurant staff & patrons if I had shot it through the plate glass window.

Steak Island? :)

image.thumb.jpeg.fb24a55cb4cda468653b41e11d76442b.jpeg

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 1

Quick question. What would a fair price be for a "like new" Remington 710 .300 WinMag? I have one that's only had 3 rounds fired to sight it in. I know a guy that wants to guy a bolt action. I know what I have in it, what does Surly say it's worth?

20240209_081434.jpg

Edited by RPM

Quick question. What would a fair price be for a "like new" Remington 710 .300 WinMag? I have one that's only had 3 rounds fired to sight it in. I know a guy that wants to guy a bolt action. I know what I have in it, what does Surly say it's worth?
20240209_081434.thumb.jpg.3d3bdd5a7870fbfb3b16943efe2a1c9a.jpg

Anyway, question for you optics experts….
Is this a decent thermal imaging scope, and a fair price?
https://feraltexasoutdoors.com/products/agm-rattler-ts19-256?_pos=1&_sid=395b584e5&_ss=r&variant=43681001832695

That’s a fair price for that scope.

However, that’s a 256 resolution… that’s pretty low for a thermal scope.

The industry recommended minimum is 320, with 640 being the recommended floor.

But I am a NV scope hog hunter with a 120 thermal scanner
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, that was it before the MTM. Couldn’t think of the first name of that joint.

I loved that place as a kid :).... 

• Hook 'Em 2

That’s a fair price for that scope.

However, that’s a 256 resolution… that’s pretty low for a thermal scope.

The industry recommended minimum is 320, with 640 being the recommended floor.

But I am a NV scope hog hunter with a 120 thermal scanner

You want the 25-384.

You want the 25-384.

Sorry meant armybrat.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Dang. those gadgets go up in price exponentially! 
As you know, I’m a cheap mofo.
So would the upgrade really be worth it for just an occasional foray out to family land to clear the varmints? Am speaking for my son who has a Colt LE6920 to mount it on.

Dang. those gadgets go up in price exponentially! 
As you know, I’m a cheap mofo.
So would the upgrade really be worth it for just an occasional foray out to family land to clear the varmints? Am speaking for my son who has a Colt LE6920 to mount it on.

347b695635acbc962e2464378eae5323.png

Both good options for what you want to do.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 10:20 PM, fattyflattie said:

I really like Aguila’s stuff. 

Can you get the full accuracy of that gun using that sight?  Closest ricochet I’ve ever had was with my old long barreled Mark II, ~25 years ago.  Shooing at a post out in the middle of a pond, a legit 65-70 yds out.  Ping, then a few secs later, landed just at my feet.   Uh, let’s get back to the turtle killing. 

The maximum distance I will engage a nutria with that gun is about 30 yards. I have a braced charger pistol that I also use. I’m not in an environment where I’m comfortable extending that range. I’ll just leave it at that. 😆

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The maximum distance I will engage a nutria with that gun is about 30 yards. I have a braced charger pistol that I also use. I’m not in an environment where I’m comfortable extending that range. I’ll just leave it at that. 😆

Yeah, no sense in getting Mrs. Kravitz all pissed off.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Can’t tell if it is a 3-screw or NM, but maybe is either a cut down 7.5” or a 4.62” fitted with the “dragoon” grip frame?

Hint - "The frame on these (grip frame and "main frame") is one-piece. There is a side plate on the left side of the gun that allows access to the internals. The side plate is held on by a screw hidden under the left grip panel. By using a one-piece frame, the guns are strong enough to handle .44 Magnum pressures while being the size of a Colt SAA."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

That’s a new one to me. 
looks a lot  like a modified Ruger SBH.

6FA62DD3-BAC9-4B6C-8768-D401CA4F00E3.jpeg

Only made a few hundred before a trademark battle with the Grizzly semi-auto and labor costs to machine parts and hand tune one at a time ate them up.

Old employees state that the production was only in the 100's even though they have 4-digit serial numbers.  

• Hook 'Em 1