The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 2/15/2024 at 8:52 AM, Reagan1k said:

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?  Obscure to say the least.  

SAA.thumb.jpg.38da4854caaa4966dd0aaf7e03cc0545.jpg

Moss berg/Abilene. Ended up paying royalties to Roger for using their transfer bar technology.  Had 1 in .357; heavy, smooth, accurate.  May have had another name or 2 before they disappeared.

1 hour ago, Horn Draoi said:

Moss berg/Abilene. Ended up paying royalties to Roger for using their transfer bar technology.  Had 1 in .357; heavy, smooth, accurate.  May have had another name or 2 before they disappeared.

Should have read on before commenting!  The designer of the Mikkenger was supposedly an engineer (with TI, maybe) and the guns were essentially hand-built.  Only one I’ve ever seen is a permanent fixture on some guy’s table at the F’burg and Kerrville gun shows.  It’s a 7 1/2” .44 Mag.  Beautifully built, probably only of interest to a collector of esoteric single actions, especially at the asking price-about like a Freedom Arms 83 in price.  The gun show guy was a coworker and friend of the designer and claims fewer than 200 were built.  Cool revolver.

• Hook 'Em 1

Popped into a shop in spicewood and they had a 10/22 takedown lite. Taking the boys out tomorrow to punch some holes. Looks like a fun little gun. Waiting on a dead air mask to clear ATF jail. 

IMG-2856.jpg

IMG-2853.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

Popped into a shop in spicewood and they had a 10/22 takedown lite. Taking the boys out tomorrow to punch some holes. Looks like a fun little gun. Waiting on a dead air mask to clear ATF jail. 

IMG-2856.jpg

IMG-2853.jpg

Provident?

Just now, Handcruser said:

Provident?

Yep.

So here is a question. I picked up a ruger 10/22 picatinny rail, and only two of the holes lined up with the four holes on the receiver. Is that expected and ok? It came with a rail (didn't realize that until after I had already installed the one I bought and dug around the bag). Figure I should be ok to loctite two in and just plug the two inner screw holes back up?

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

With the massive recoil of the 22lr, you want to anchor it with as many as possible. 

lol. I haven’t had a shooter 22 in a long time. I hope I don’t bruise my shoulder. 

Yep.
So here is a question. I picked up a ruger 10/22 picatinny rail, and only two of the holes lined up with the four holes on the receiver. Is that expected and ok? It came with a rail (didn't realize that until after I had already installed the one I bought and dug around the bag). Figure I should be ok to loctite two in and just plug the two inner screw holes back up?

It’s probably fine but I’d eventually put the oem rail on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2024 at 8:57 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

With the massive recoil of the 22lr, you want to anchor it with as many as possible. 

You won’t want the rail to move when you’re reaching out to 1000 yards either. 😆

• Like 1

Just for info. It was a good try. But they cannot cut, shoulder and chamber a rimfire barrel. Nice guys However…

If Troy can’t do it Robert probably can. Troy will get Robert involved if needed.

Either way - you will be in good hands.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Best place in CenTex to trade handguns? for store credit, if better trade value, as I'd like to trade a few mid-range pistols for a higher end pistol

You might do better just selling them for cash and using proceeds to upgrade.

• Hook 'Em 1

Best place in CenTex to trade handguns? for store credit, if better trade value, as I'd like to trade a few mid-range pistols for a higher end pistol

You will get 60-65% of wholesale

Most guns have a 20% markup

Example - Glock 19 is $599 retail so cost is $500ish. They would give you 60% of the 500.

It would be a $300 gun.

That’s pretty much everywhere unless you find a pawnshop low on guns. Then maybe $350-$375

What do you have?

On 3/4/2024 at 4:33 PM, Lat22 said:

You won’t want the rail to move when you’re reaching out to 1000 yards either. 😆

1000 yards might have been the measure of my youngest's ear to ear grin after putting together some shots on. There is something about a boy and a 22lr and a bunch of holes in paper that is just right and proper. We worked the safety rules, and he laid claim to the rifle on the ride home. That ain't happening, but at least there were no screens involved and we worked in some fresh air.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I remember as a boy, my best friend and I would spend all day hiking all over the ranch with our bolt-action 22s.  There was this bluff overlooking a bunch of wheat fields.  G-father left the disc plow on the side of the field.  We'd sit back and lob 22s into the dirt in front of the discs and try and ricochet them off.  400-500yds maybe?  We'd spend hours doing this.  So much damn fun.  You'd have to elevate the rifle to the point it was like a small artillery piece, anchor it against a tree, then wait for the cloud of dust and the "ping"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was a rather clueless little jerk after receiving a Benjamin single shot .22 pump air rifle in 1955.

When we visited my grandparents in rural NW Missouri, I’d walk 2 blocks out of the tiny town into the “county” with it to blast away at all manner of birds & squirrels. 
But in my ignorance, it was especially fun to shoot at the old glass telephone line insulators up on the wood utility poles. 
Probably wound up disrupting a few of the locals’ party lines.

IMG_5725.jpeg

IMG_5726.webp

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

There seems to be a LOT of chatter about cans (non trust) getting approved inside of a month, with many turning around inside of a week.

Anyone here have a line on what’s changed? I’m about to say damn the trust and just pick up a couple more that I can actually use instead of conjugalally visit…

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

There seems to be a LOT of chatter about cans (non trust) getting approved inside of a month, with many turning around inside of a week.

Anyone here have a line on what’s changed? I’m about to say damn the trust and just pick up a couple more that I can actually use instead of conjugalally visit…

I just certified a eform 4 submission today on a trust. Last time it was like 11 months. I would be elated to see that thing clear in a couple months, but am expecting the long wait. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 4:54 PM, Handcruser said:

You will get 60-65% of wholesale

Most guns have a 20% markup

Example - Glock 19 is $599 retail so cost is $500ish. They would give you 60% of the 500.

It would be a $300 gun.

That’s pretty much everywhere unless you find a pawnshop low on guns. Then maybe $350-$375

What do you have?

Here’s a few. image.thumb.jpg.261f5f34c9008c89725660bfabd9852f.jpg

image.jpg

Here she is.

IMG_1999.thumb.jpeg.aa86f14c80e9f0ff89b8211505768748.jpeg

Bergara B-14 Wilderness Sierra chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum.  On top is a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Plex with Warne Mountain Tech 1 inch low matte rings on a Zero MOA Remington LA Mountain Tech tactical rail.  

It’s absolutely the set-up I was looking for to take to South Africa.  300WM should take care of everything I’m after.  The redesigned stock with adjustable comb just fits me, and when combined with the silky smooth action and a little heft (9.05lbs unloaded) to tame the recoil, it checks a lot of boxes.  It’s not perfect, but it didn’t break the bank, either.

Still need to outfit it with a Swaro screw-in objective lens cap and a Tenebraex ocular cap along with a Slogan magnum sling.  I’ve got four cartridges to try and see what the gun likes to shoot: 180gr. Norma Oryx, Barnes TTSX, and Nosler Partions plus 200gr. Federal Terminal Ascent.  Then, there is suppression…

On 3/8/2024 at 11:07 AM, Anastasis said:

While we are on this suppressor talk, anyone want to do a shot and tell with your suppressed bolt action hunting rifles. I feel an itch. 

Soon…

IMG_2014.thumb.jpeg.fc76e1888fc4e171804997ca5fae58f0.jpeg

Sincere thanks to @Handcruser for setting me up with Matt at Arnzen Arms to get this rifle to me 2 months before it’s to be made widely available.  I can’t express how great these guys were in helping me out.  Looking forward to getting it out to the range in the next week or so to see what happens.  Will update with range results, ammo performance, and how it suppresses.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Here she is.
IMG_1999.thumb.jpeg.aa86f14c80e9f0ff89b8211505768748.jpeg
Bergara B-14 Wilderness Sierra chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum.  On top is a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Plex with Warne Mountain Tech 1 inch low matte rings on a Zero MOA Remington LA Mountain Tech tactical rail.  
It’s absolutely the set-up I was looking for to take to South Africa.  300WM should take care of everything I’m after.  The redesigned stock with adjustable comb just fits me, and when combined with the silky smooth action and a little heft (9.05lbs unloaded) to tame the recoil, it checks a lot of boxes.  It’s not perfect, but it didn’t break the bank, either.
Still need to outfit it with a Swaro screw-in objective lens cap and a Tenebraex ocular cap along with a Slogan magnum sling.  I’ve got four cartridges to try and see what the gun likes to shoot: 180gr. Norma Oryx, Barnes TTSX, and Nosler Partions plus 200gr. Federal Terminal Ascent.  Then, there is suppression…
Soon…
IMG_2014.thumb.jpeg.fc76e1888fc4e171804997ca5fae58f0.jpeg

Sincere thanks to [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] for setting me up with Matt at Arnzen Arms to get this rifle to me 2 months before it’s to be made widely available.  I can’t express how great these guys were in helping me out.  Looking forward to getting it out to the range in the next week or so to see what happens.  Will update with range results, ammo performance, and how it suppresses.  

Awesome man! That thing looks great.

Matt is good people - you were always in good hands.

Enjoy and happy to help.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was talking to a neighbor the other day about the occasional coyotes I see in our yard. I had one pretty close to the house but didn't have a pistol handy to shoot it. He said he'd use a long gun, which makes sense but their houses within 1/4 mile behind us and I told him I didn't think it was a good idea. He told me he has a .30 cal and .50 cal air gun which would take them down. I won't bore you with the rest of the conversation but when I ask him about charging them, he said it took 30+ minutes with an air compressor. I didn't ask him how he was planning to get a coyote to stand still for 30 minutes while he charged his gun. 

Which leads me to my question. What good does a gun do you if you have to wait 30 mins to an hour before you use it. Does anyone have any experience or insight to why they make sense? They can be as expensive as regular rifles and besides the novelty, I can't see any real advantage with them.

Just use a shotgun with buckshot if the coyote is within range. 
But it sounds like your neighbor isn’t too concerned about the remote possibility of a stray round hitting his house.

Another possible solution is to use a pistol caliber carbine like a 9mm to get the varmints. Lot’s of choices there. 
My Ruger PCC is one…

50F6C207-9046-4AFD-8B93-D6CA4AF3D81F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

I was talking to a neighbor the other day about the occasional coyotes I see in our yard. I had one pretty close to the house but didn't have a pistol handy to shoot it. He said he'd use a long gun, which makes sense but their houses within 1/4 mile behind us and I told him I didn't think it was a good idea. He told me he has a .30 cal and .50 cal air gun which would take them down. I won't bore you with the rest of the conversation but when I ask him about charging them, he said it took 30+ minutes with an air compressor. I didn't ask him how he was planning to get a coyote to stand still for 30 minutes while he charged his gun. 
Which leads me to my question. What good does a gun do you if you have to wait 30 mins to an hour before you use it. Does anyone have any experience or insight to why they make sense? They can be as expensive as regular rifles and besides the novelty, I can't see any real advantage with them.

Suppressed 300blk is the answer.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 9:29 PM, solamente73 said:

Damn.  From Silencer Shop:

IMG_0094.thumb.jpeg.b9a112a45784fdccded0be6fd67406fe.jpeg

I have 3 suppressors in jail right now. Bought around July 4th last year. I got one of the forms back as a denial in early February. I had an old Willi trust that needed to be updated. If you have an old trust, make sure you get it updated before buying/submitting. Capitol Armory handled the update and claimed they contacted the reviewer to get my form expedited. Now we are two month later and I fully expect to get my approvals in June or July of this year. Shit takes forever.

• Hook 'Em 1