BOOM (Madden)

Surly Bevo

11 minutes ago, ScottS said:

two, the stark difference in writing by journalists from 40 years ago versus today.  I hate that I cannot find longform writing like this article very often anymore.

Yep.  As a kid in the 1980's, I loved the longer feature articles in Sports Illustrated.  Sports journalists like that are a dying breed. 

In the non-sports context, I'm thankful that journalists like Skip Hollingsworth and Michael Hall are still cranking out great work.

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Just had his documentary air....The ultimate Madden curse....

But in all seriousness, R.I.P. Did not know him as a coach. But for his games and being paired with Summerall. 

Loved him as a broadcaster, and especially as a coach. Loved watching him run up and down the sidelines raising hell.  They broke the mold after he was born.

RIP big guy...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ScottS said:

You probably read this article from September of 1983.

Hey, wait a minute! I want to talk!

After reading that article, I take two things away:  one, Madden was so much more than a coach or commentator (which, after reading various articles about him over the year I already knew) and, two, the stark difference in writing by journalists from 40 years ago versus today.  I hate that I cannot find longform writing like this article very often anymore.

That probably was it, memories are fading but the time would be about right (I remember where I read the article and it was right when I got to Austin in '83, so that works out).  However, I thought I also read something more from Stingley's first-person point of view and his reactions to everything, including Madden's amazing good will towards him.  I distinctly remember Stingley (or his writer) writing how choked up he was about Madden's kindness, and over an opponent who, if Madden never even blinked his way again, wouldn't have counted against him.  An opponent!  Anyway time has mixed up my sources, but not my admiration. 

ANyway, that said tons right there... I can see of course innumerable coaches tending to their own, even if mostly out of humanity, still leaving a bit of self-motivation.  But Madden had no reason, nor absolutely nothing to gain, out of tending to Stingley.  He simply did it because <sniff> he was so kindhearted and humble.  There was some iffy stuff going around that he felt guilty somehow (i.e. did he coach is players (and Tatum) to be "dirty"?... of course the Raiders always had that "dirty play" patina on them and Madden by association would have been somewhat of a villain (and was a little) back then.  But that stuff was quickly evaporated).

I do believe in part that Madden did eventually quit coaching a little due to the incident though.  Not directly, but I think it weighed on him to be in the ring with all the violence (actually!).  It wasn't his main reason for hanging it up at only 42 but it was in there IMHO.

From that day on, as I said, Madden was always a saint.  That he happens to be the most successful NFL coach pct. wise, and the best football broadcaster who ever lived (maybe Keith Jackson is close behind) is nice, but I'm so glad I read all that stuff when I did because Madden never "grew" on me.  I admired him enormously from 1979 on.  I never saw or heard about anything like it.

***(Coda in case anyone's interested... it's widely regarded by now that, although legal, Tatum's hit on Stingley was unnecessary... the pass was either uncatchable or tough, and Tatum did try to cultivate his "nasty Raider" image as a fierce hitter, and indeed he was.  And after the incident, he didn't seem particularly sorry or really did much to reach out to Stingley, who soon afterwards began to resent Tatum for that.  In time he would grow to pretty much hate Tatum, although Stingley's religious nature and good heart eventually allowed for him to ease his anger and forgive Tatum.  But he wouldn't reconcile with him.  By the mid 90's, Tatum tried repeatedly to connect with Stingley, who felt that he lost his chance, plus was suspicious of Tatum as he was working on a book.  So they never met/talked again.  In Tatum's later years, up to his 2015 death, he increasingly felt remorse about the hit and his callous reaction, and to a point I feel sorry for him, as he finally did come around.  But not in time, or in the deserved effort.  Plus he grew to be increasingly disliked in his later career years, and his seemigly "man up and show no weakness" attitude that kept him from a more earnest effort to reconcile with Stingley increasingly weighed on him, and he died as far as I can tell a somewhat broken man.

All from one incident that lasted less than 2 seconds on an August day.)

And I agree with you that some of those long SI articles were absolutely gripping (I miss Frank DeFord on that stuff in particular).  But although much time has passed and all of this seems archaic now, Madden continues to shine in my experience.  I loved John Madden and would have crawled through a field of shit for him.  I wish I could have played for him, even if for one game.  Truly, truly a knight in shining armor, even if it was silver and black.

3 hours ago, &#x27;stache said:

Seriously, I'll never understand finding a few isolated idiots and pretending that they matter. Who cares what a few nobodies are saying? Madden was universally beloved by pretty much anyone who cared even a little bit about football. 

You know what, you're right. I regret posting anything about that dickhead who was seeking attention on Madden's death.  99.9999 percent of everyone else adores the man and his well-lived life should be the focus.

I’m sitting in Denver Central Market at Denver Intl., and Fox NFL Sunday just did a video tribute to Madden while the radio station started playing Thank You For Being A Friend.

I have to admit, it almost made me choke up.

Or maybe it’s just that I spent a sleepless night in DFW thanks to fucking American Airlines. Long story….

Edited by ImissWallyPryor