USMNT 2022

Napoleon

Fuck me. Please be negative. Not sure how many more irreplaceable mids there are for club and country than Weston right now. At that level at least. 

@Braff Zacklin I think you have to ask Musah to fill in and have someone else slot in on the wing. Or play Adams up. The best option would be Reyna but who knows if he'll even be available. 

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Two broken bones, no qualifiers for him.

Unreal. Fuck me.

4 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Pefok Pepi Weah

Puli Adams Musah

Nah man. Idk what the answer is but it isn't this. Aaronson is for sure on the pitch - maybe opposite Weah with Pulisic in a mid role. We'll see if Reyna can go. 

We'll be okay. I mostly feel bad for Weston as he was really starting to push his ceiling as a potential world class CM. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Slot Aaronson into McKennie's spot with the instruction to play forward (basically, be a 10). Tell Adams and Musah to cover Aaronson's ass. He plays a 10 kind of role for RB Salzburg anyway so it won't be foreign to him. 

Puli - whatever 9 because GGG won't listen anyways - Weah

Win.

Pulisic, Aaronson, & Reyna (when healthy) all play as Central Attacking Midfielders for their clubs. It’s actually the deepest position in the entire player pool, but no one is playing at Weston’s level. 

Other (possible) 8s not mentioned in previous post.  

REYNA (question mark city)

BUSIO (who I don’t think is ready)

TESSMAN (who has size, but may not be ready)

CADEN CLARK (who would have to be on fire to start the MLS season)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Pulisic, Aaronson, & Reyna (when healthy) all play as Central Attacking Midfielders for their clubs. It’s actually the deepest position in the entire player pool, but no one is playing at Weston’s level. 

Other (possible) 8s not mentioned in previous post.  

REYNA (question mark city)

BUSIO (who I don’t think is ready)

TESSMAN (who has size, but may not be ready)

CADEN CLARK (who would have to be on fire to start the MLS season)

Pulisic does not play as a CAM for Chelsea. He's come closer to playing that way for the NT than for Chelsea. He is either off center for Chelsea or playing the 9.

And - more importantly - PULISIC NEEDS TO BE ON THE FUCKING WING. He's a world class LW and just okay everywhere else on the pitch. 

Edited by ztejas

Azteca is going to be absolutely bonkers. I don’t think Tata can remain the manager if they lose. The team will be out for blood after 3 straight Ls.

Can’t see Greg pulling out anything but a 4-3-3,  but he could very well bunker down and play for a draw. A loss and the Panama game is huge.

Definitely see Zardes and Acosta starting in Azteca. Would not surprise to see Dest on the bench for a more defensive option. Yedlin?

Hard to keep Pulisic and Aaronson out of the 11 right now. Gio won’t be back in time.

Just now, ztejas said:

Pulisic does not play as a CAM for Chelsea. He's come closer to playing that way for the NT than for Chelsea. He is either off center for Chelsea or playing the 9.

Pulisic has been playing all over the place in his last three games, but has frequently been pinching in toward the middle.

He’s definitely not a classic winger on the left side. He can play winger on the right side, sending balls in, and he scored his goal today racing onto a pass from a position on the left side, but it’s difficult to look at these ESPN lineups and say that Christian plays anywhere in particular. 

4E7D54E3-17BC-4010-98EA-5E5B06F25E3D.jpeg

A0E93428-D871-454A-BCDF-DA484DC09BCE.jpeg

32EF1A91-B08D-4627-A305-076730CB2923.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He’s definitely not a classic winger on the left side.

Except that's exactly what he is. In all of those formations there are actual CMs on the field. Weston is a true CM he doesn't play forward anyway so I'm not sure what the point is. It's difficult looking at those lineups and discerning his position because Tuchel puts him all over the place because he's passable in a lot of different spots.

Pulisic needs to be on the wing. It doesn't matter what he has or hasn't played for club (and he's never played CM) - we should look for answers elsewhere to fill the McKennie void. 

Except that's exactly what he is. In all of those formations there are actual CMs on the field. Weston is a true CM he doesn't play forward anyway so I'm not sure what the point is. It's difficult looking at those lineups and discerning his position because Tuchel puts him all over the place because he's passable in a lot of different spots.
Pulisic needs to be on the wing. It doesn't matter what he has or hasn't played for club (and he's never played CM) - we should look for answers elsewhere to fill the McKennie void. 

I don’t think we have an answer to McKennie when it comes to set pieces. He is so far and away from the next person especially when it comes to Mexico that it’s a problem. Zimmerman comes to mind, but Pefok is the other option.

I am starting Pefok over Pepi in this game. The altitudes in the Swiss League aren’t close to Azteca but he’s at least playing 90 every game and a little bigger and stronger.

Nothing is changing in Azteca, the first goal is going to dictate how the game is played. They are going to control 60% of the possession and we are going to counter out wide. Tyler Adams needs to have the game of his life which he is more than capable of.

And this is exactly why you play every game of qualification like it's the most important.  I.e. NOT running out that shit lineup against Panama (posted above).  Going to be some very nervy moments coming up - especially given the fact that a couple of things hinge on other results.  And we know damn well there's not a country in this tourney that will do us any favors.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Acosta only plays good for the nats as a 6.  When we try him as one of the 8s he is worse than Lletget.  That being said his set piece taking last match was fantastic.    Also need to consider that Adams is on a yellow.  I’d love to see 4231, but I’m not sure that is in GGGs playbook. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yup, a double 6 of Acosta and Adams would be bueno in Azteca.  I would honestly start LDLT at the 8 and bring Musah on at 60 to bring the gas.  Genuinely curious to see how Pepi handles this, and is handled by GGG.  Dude is going to be super overhyped for Mexico, so maybe start him and be ready with Pefok to close out when he has his adrenalin crash. 

When Weston was suspended earlier in qualifying (September 2021), dipshit started Adams, Acosta and LLlleggett against Canada and Adams, Acosta and Sands (THREE 6s) against Honduras. 

I will be shocked if douchebag doesn't start Acosta.  The third CM is a complete mystery but I wouldn't be surprised if assface stays with Musah as opposed to bringing in an Aaronson.

Two 6s concerns me b/c dumbass is so wedded to his brilliant system that they won't play as dual 6s.  Acosta will be shoehorned into one of the dual 8s where he will be completely ineffective and our MF will be overrun even more than usual in this fixture.   

I fully expect the following standings going into the Panama match when Costa Rica will be playing eliminated El Salvador:

Canada 26

Mexico 24

USA 21

Panama 20

Costa Rica 17

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Not sure I've read a post with more name calling than that one and that says a lot for this place.

the diversity of the names used is what really impressed me

i was thinking about something and i need you all to tell me if i’m dumb, a genius, or both before i go pitch this to jeff bezos or mark cuban. 

if we consolidated the usmnt starting 11 onto a single epl team, how long, if at all, would it take for the team to be a contender? then, would a prolonged period of playing together like this be enough to propel us to the top class of international teams? 

On 2/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, joe dirt said:

the diversity of the names used is what really impressed me

i was thinking about something and i need you all to tell me if i’m dumb, a genius, or both before i go pitch this to jeff bezos or mark cuban. 

if we consolidated the usmnt starting 11 onto a single epl team, how long, if at all, would it take for the team to be a contender? then, would a prolonged period of playing together like this be enough to propel us to the top class of international teams? 

It depends on who the other starting 9 players are. 😀 Maybe, we can stretch and start 5 USMNT players and contend.  But, we would give the Championship hell!

On 2/23/2022 at 9:35 AM, joe dirt said:

I think they'd be mid table under a decent coach after about a year of playing together. We have a lot more talent than a championship side does. Josh Sargent is getting minutes for a PL bottom dweller. 

We don't have the talent to actually contend in the PL. Not even close. I mean we only have one player on a top 5 prem team right now not including Steffen. And Pulisic is fairly middle of the pack among Chelsea's first team.

As for your 2nd question - I think that's more interesting. We'd still have a talent gap - but if you let the NT play together for a year or two as much as club teammates play together they'd probably punch above their weight class. Again - who's coaching? But any team that theoretically played together that much would be extremely dangerous in international comp.

Like - if you sent a meh NBA playoff team (say the Atlanta Hawks) to the Olympics it would be a fucking joke. They'd spank the best non-US team by 40 points (and probably beat quite a few iterations of the US team over the years). 

(Same thing if you sent - say - West Ham to the World Cup. They'd give even the best national teams serious issues)

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I definitely think 2010 Spain benefited from trotting out predominantly Barca players (with Real players filling the gaps).  And Germany seems to be at its best when playing a Munich heavy lineup (like in 2014).  Continuity matters.  

THIS!

The USMNT would be firmly entrenched in the FIFA Top 10 and we would be disappointed NOT to be in Pot A for the World Cup draw. 

“Greg’s system” is really “Pep’s system” which is “Barça’s System” which is basically the Dutch system of Total Football with some updated tweaks. 

If the guys were practicing the system and with each other 40 weeks out of the year, you don’t have Pepi getting called out early on for not pressing at the right time, you don’t have “Jedi” & Pulisic being close enough to smash into each other due to a slight push in the back from a defender, you don’t have a keeper who is 27 and still sucks with his feet, you don’t have Eryck (sp?) Williamson not getting playing time because he is thinking rather than playing -> which is connected to -> having Lletget & Roldan getting time because they understand the system better than younger, more dynamic players.

If you make it an entire club setup, the U-23/4 team makes it to the last World Cup because we have everyone familiar with the system and we’re not playing #6s up as #8s & #10s because we’re chasing a goal late and they are the most creative guys selected to the squad.

Argentina was routinely dripping with offensive talent from 2010 through 2018, but the way they played was nothing like Barcelona, so there was no way to get the Barcelona Messi. France was a discombobulated shit show in the “2020 Euros” (played in 2021) due to way too many personalities spoiling the broth.

But you look back to Iceland’s run in international competitions in the 2010s and they have like About 370,000 people. Period! But they had a group that played together and knew their system and performed way above what their individual talents could have ever hoped to.

Spain (Barça) & Germany (Bayern) are the best examples of a club team & national team sharing the same DNA. Italy (Juventus) and the Netherlands (Ajax) are other national teams that frequently have shared the same DNA (Italy’s back line & keeper / Netherlands… entire team) but missed the 2018 World Cup after string decades before that.

I have run out of gas typing on my phone, but YES, the USMNT would be a top national team if the Top 11 all played for the same club. 

• Like 1

And look, I'm MIGHT be willing to give him a break on the heavy touch due to the deflection. But he was calling for the ball and yet not ready for it! And then after that, he just never seems to know what to do. In inexplicably he takes FIVE steps before attempting his shot (that he doesn't get)! It's like he forgot he had a left foot!

One other reason I don't let the first touch go - it's not needed. His initial touch kills the ball's momentum which was going to put it right in stride for him to shoot. Plus he takes himself out of stride with the move. He had no instinct for what to do there. And for a striker, you MUST have that.

It is just a textbook example of how he sucks at his job/role.

The whole Russian invasion bullshit has me down. So much destruction and death because a midget on steroids (and/or HGH) and a pumped up face of fillers wants to be remembered as a great leader rather than a Russian troll.

2C5BA50C-EC4A-41E4-929A-D72C99D702A8.jpeg.abdf4653c451921403e7be23725195a9.jpeg

At least Watke can bring a smile to my soccer loving face.

• Haha 2