Black Monday NFL 2022 thread

shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
Hiring managers often have already identified a candidate but they have to post and perhaps interview based on HR rules.  I'm sure that I've had some interviews where I wasn't being seriously considered. But I've never knowingly took an interview as a networking tool. I would never subject myself to that. I'm happy to meet with someone to talk about future opportunities but waste my time checking your box? No thanks.
As for the remaining 5 open NFL jobs, there is no doubt Goodell is calling each of those owners and GMs reminding them of the current environment and it helps the NFL if there were more minority head coaches. Goodell can repay them later on. And let's face it, if you're a bad NFL team who just fired a coach, odds are high your next hire won't last more than a couple of years anyway.  It's a safe bet that whoever the Texans hire will be gone in 3 seasons if not sooner. It's possible their next hire is the next Belichek but extremely doubtful.

Not trying to be flippant, because we've all been there in the corporate/real world. But a pro sports team is not run or judged like a regular business. And your are definitely not promoting the janitor to floor leader just because you liked the way he interviewed. But in the NFL a 'promising' young qb coach can suddenly be put in charge of 53+ men and become the face of your organization.

and in general the VP is not paid more than the Senior VP.

Flores is probably destroying his career but I don't think he did a bad job at all.  guy was basically Jason Garrett with an owner that didn't want him to win.

I bet he is a good coach.  gonna be interesting if Goodell finds a way to get him a job again.

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

He had 3 years to prove himself, and despite a 25-24 record in that time, he never once made me think the Dolphins we're a legitimate good team. They beat shitty teams that were eliminated from the playoffs a lot to pad that record, while essentially treading water. That's not a great sign for a coach. 

Him being interested in trading for Deshaun Watson during the off-season was likely detrimental to the teams QB Tua, which is a bad look for any HC. Your GM picked a QB, and while he's not your first choice, you need to support him and work with him. I'm sure the Dolphins wanted him out after that, but probably couldn't cut him due to costs. Cutting him loose with one year left on his deal isn't so bad. 

The lawsuit sounds like sour grapes to me. The racist allegations against the NFL are significant and not without some merit, but the examples he provided don't amount to racism to me. 

You do remember he coaches the Dolphins, right? He also coached them through the period where they traded away their decent players to stockpile picks, allegedly made offers to tank games, drafted a hurt Tua to hang their future on, have an owner that is a joke to everyone, not to mention taking them to a .500 overall record in the AFC East and almost making the playoffs even though he had to use Brissett as his QB for a chunk of it, etc. I’ll take a sizeable futures bet that says at the end of the next 3 seasons they are below .500 for the period. Flores isn’t the second coming of Bill, but he can clearly coach better than some of these guys out there.

As far as the detriment to Tua, he can put on his big boy pants. Everyone in the NFL is taking Watson over Tua.

Edited by Brew

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Flores is probably destroying his career but I don't think he did a bad job at all.  guy was basically Jason Garrett with an owner that didn't want him to win.

I bet he is a good coach.  gonna be interesting if Goodell finds a way to get him a job again.

Not a good comparison, the Cowboys severely underperformed with a generally decent roster and serviceable QB’s. I don’t think anyone would say the Dolphins underperformed with the roster they have had.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think people will always find a reason to be slighted or feel unhappy.  If there were 32 black head coaches and 32 white gms and 32 white owners, the angry folks will say that the coach is just a middle manager/foreman running the factory.  

So you're saying that some people will never be happy? Who are these people?

On 2/2/2022 at 11:58 AM, Harrison Bergeron said:

Attempting to be serious ... I hear "executive presence" a lot, which I have always interpreted as "articulate."

Interesting.  I had a conversation about that phrase with a white female a few years ago (she brought it up...) She said that is a term that is applied to white men, but women get labeled negatively when displaying similar characteristics.  She pointed out some examples / anecdotes that made me think she was on to something.

28 minutes ago, Brew said:

Not a good comparison, the Cowboys severely underperformed with a generally decent roster and serviceable QB’s. I don’t think anyone would say the Dolphins underperformed with the roster they have had.

I'm talking about his record.

30 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Interesting.  I had a conversation about that phrase with a white female a few years ago (she brought it up...) She said that is a term that is applied to white men, but women get labeled negatively when displaying similar characteristics.  She pointed out some examples / anecdotes that made me think she was on to something.

There are still chauvinistic beta males in the world for sure.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think people will always find a reason to be slighted or feel unhappy.  If there were 32 black head coaches and 32 white gms and 32 white owners, the angry folks will say that the coach is just a middle manager/foreman running the factory.  

What do you make of Belichick mistakenly texting his congratulation to Flores? What is says to me is Flores’ allegation regarding the discriminatory hiring practices of the NFL is accurate. It is yet another example of how dominant culture operators cynically use race to  maintain the status quo. It also tracks with my experience in the corporate world.

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

There are still chauvinistic beta males in the world for sure.

I don't even think it's intent in most cases. It's just built in bias...  A strong chick isn't a leader, she's a ball-busting bitch, but her presentations aren't "executive" they're "pretty".  The dude that called me "articulate" was being supportive in a conversation about my career aspirations. He's a very thoughtful guy. It never occurred to him that he was making an implication, because he wasn't trying to... it's just something baked into our society because of how the society was built and maintained. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

What do you make of Belichick mistakenly texting his congratulation to Flores? What is says to me is Flores’ allegation regarding the discriminatory hiring practices of the NFL is accurate. It is yet another example of how dominant culture operators cynically use race to  maintain the status quo. It also tracks with my experience in the corporate world.

were there white guys interviewed after that text?  I'm guessing there weren't any but I don't know.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

were there white guys interviewed after that text?  I'm guessing there weren't any but I don't know.

If one believes Flores’ timeline, he interviewed with the Giants after the decision had already been made to hire the “other” Brian. Those texts are literally days old. Again, it’s how powerful people write the rules to give the veneer of fairness while using those same rules to subvert the spirit and intended effect of them.

Edited by Satchel

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

If one believes Flores’ timeline, he interviewed with the Giants after the decision had already been made to hire the “other” Brian. Those texts are literally days old. Again, it’s how powerful people write the rules to give the veneer of fairness while using those same rules to subvert the spirit and intended effect of them.

Ok, but my question was were there any other white guys interviewed after the decision had been made?

yes, people have been interviewed with no chance at the job ever since HR's were established.

Goodell just needs to state which teams will have to hire a black coach at their next opening, then there will be no reason to interview anyone not black or son/nephew of some long forgotten coach.

29 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I don't even think it's intent in most cases. It's just built in bias...  A strong chick isn't a leader, she's a ball-busting bitch, but her presentations aren't "executive" they're "pretty".  The dude that called me "articulate" was being supportive in a conversation about my career aspirations. He's a very thoughtful guy. It never occurred to him that he was making an implication, because he wasn't trying to... it's just something baked into our society because of how the society was built and maintained. 

Then maybe your guy wasn’t even thinking of race?

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

I think Bill just texted the wrong guy unfortunately?  As for the corporate world, from what I've seen there's a pretty big push to hire POC and women, which is fine.

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Ok, but my question was were there any other white guys interviewed after the decision had been made?

yes, people have been interviewed with no chance at the job ever since HR's were established.

Goodell just needs to state which teams will have to hire a black coach at their next opening, then there will be no reason to interview anyone not black or son/nephew of some long forgotten coach.

No one is naive enough to believe that rich white billionaires will be made to do anything. The scenarios described in Flores’ have a ring of truth to them. The Rooney rule is a sham and everybody knows it. After identifying the Brian they wanted, there was no reason to interview other white candidates. If the Giants didn’t need to check the Rooney box, they wouldn’t have wasted Flores’ time. Or theirs.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I think Bill just texted the wrong guy unfortunately?  As for the corporate world, from what I've seen there's a pretty big push to hire POC and women, which is fine.

Why would the head coach of the Patriots have inside information about the hiring plans of a competing team, but for the gob network “doing what it do”?

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Why would the head coach of the Patriots have inside information about the hiring plans of a competing team, but for the gob network “doing what it do”?

I would guess Bill is pretty close to a lot of people in different organizations, it's a tight knit group.  And I'm sure he's glad to get Daboll out of his conference.  

Just now, closetohumping said:

I would guess Bill is pretty close to a lot of people in different organizations, it's a tight knit group.  And I'm sure he's glad to get Daboll out of his conference.  

It’s more than being a tight knit group, and I think the NFL is about to have more of its dirty laundry publicly aired. Good.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Satchel said:

No one is naive enough to believe that rich white billionaires will be made to do anything. The scenarios described in Flores’ have a ring of truth to them. The Rooney rule is a sham and everybody knows it. After identifying the Brian they wanted, there was no reason to interview other white candidates. If the Giants didn’t need to check the Rooney box, they wouldn’t have wasted Flores’ time. Or theirs.

yeah, my question is  if white guys were interviewed after the Giants made the decision on Daboll or was Flores the only interview after that decision was made?

maybe no one has reported on that yet.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah, my question is  if white guys were interviewed after the Giants made the decision on Daboll or was Flores the only interview after that decision was made?

They didn't interview any white coaches after the texts with Belichek.  But impossible to know when the decision on Daboll was made.  Given that the GM came from Buffalo, he was probably the lead candidate from day 1.  He was the first to interview via teleconference and the second to interview in person. The other white candidates were Anarumo and Quinn.  Anarumo didn't interview in person and Quinn interviewed in person the day before Daboll did.

Jan. 11 (Tue) – Giants fire Joe Judge as head coach
Jan. 21 (Fri) – Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen hired as GM
Jan. 21 (Fri) – Bills OC Brian Daboll interviews with Schoen and Giants’ co-owners via teleconference
Jan. 22 (Sat) – Bills DC Leslie Frazier interviews via teleconference
Jan. 23 (Sun) – Bengals DC Lou Anarumo interviews via teleconference
Jan. 23 (Sun) – Daboll and Frazier’s Buffalo Bills eliminated from playoffs
Jan. 24 (Mon) – Cowboys DC Dan Quinn interviews in-person. Giants’ first in-person interview for the job.
Jan. 25 (Tue) – Brian Daboll receives second interview. Interview occurs in-person

*Brian Flores receives text messages from Bill Belichick congratulating him on becoming next Giants coach even though Flores has not had his interview yet. Belichick’s text messages were intended for Daboll.*

Jan. 26 (Wed) – Giants DC Patrick Graham interviews. Does not satisfy Rooney Rule since in-house candidate
Jan. 26 (Wed) – Ex-Dolphins HC Brian Flores has dinner with Schoen
Jan. 27 (Thu) – Brian Flores interviews (satisfies Rooney Rule because it is in-person with someone outside organization)
Jan. 27 (Thu) – Dan Quinn announces he is remaining as Cowboys DC
Jan. 28 (Fri) – Leslie Frazier gets second interview, this time in-person, also satisfying Rooney Rule
Jan. 28 (Fri) – Daboll hired as head coach

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Here's a supposed timeline of who was interviewed when. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/timeline-new-york-giants-head-coach-interviews-rooney-rule-requirement/591390

Goodell cant tell these guys who to hire, they have all the money ( which is really all of the power) and he serves at their leisure. But owners also want to win and make more money, so if you want to increase the number of minority head coaches, incentivize the owners to hire black coaches in a way that makes it easier to win or make more money. The rooney rule is for appearances only and the fact that it hasnt done jack shit to increase the number of minority hires is evidence that its just there as cover for the owners so they can continue to hire from their comfort zone. 

Incidentally, the only group with more power than the owners in this equation is the NFL fanbase. If fans stopped going to games, stopped watching NFL games, and stopped buying merch until the owners hired more minorities, it would hit them in the pocketbook so fiercely, owners would react immediately. But most fans really dont care either, or at least not as much as they care about playing fantasy football, tailgating, gambling etc...  Hell, if the majority of the country really cared about discrimination in the work force outside of the NFL, discrimination wouldn't continue to exist at the levels it does. 

edit...beaten to the punch by don johnson

Edited by Blotto

Wasn’t the Rooney Rule already satisfied when they interviewed Frazier one day after interviewing Daboll? That was 4-5 days before they interviewed Flores so I don’t get the notion that he got a sham interview after they had already decided on Daboll just to satisfy the Rooney Rule unless I’m not fully understanding the requirements for the Rooney Rule.

12 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

They didn't interview any white coaches after the texts with Belichek.  But impossible to know when the decision on Daboll was made.  Given that the GM came from Buffalo, he was probably the lead candidate from day 1.  He was the first to interview via teleconference and the second to interview in person. The other white candidates were Anarumo and Quinn.  Anarumo didn't interview in person and Quinn interviewed in person the day before Daboll did.

Jan. 11 (Tue) – Giants fire Joe Judge as head coach
Jan. 21 (Fri) – Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen hired as GM
Jan. 21 (Fri) – Bills OC Brian Daboll interviews with Schoen and Giants’ co-owners via teleconference
Jan. 22 (Sat) – Bills DC Leslie Frazier interviews via teleconference
Jan. 23 (Sun) – Bengals DC Lou Anarumo interviews via teleconference
Jan. 23 (Sun) – Daboll and Frazier’s Buffalo Bills eliminated from playoffs
Jan. 24 (Mon) – Cowboys DC Dan Quinn interviews in-person. Giants’ first in-person interview for the job.
Jan. 25 (Tue) – Brian Daboll receives second interview. Interview occurs in-person

*Brian Flores receives text messages from Bill Belichick congratulating him on becoming next Giants coach even though Flores has not had his interview yet. Belichick’s text messages were intended for Daboll.*

Jan. 26 (Wed) – Giants DC Patrick Graham interviews. Does not satisfy Rooney Rule since in-house candidate
Jan. 26 (Wed) – Ex-Dolphins HC Brian Flores has dinner with Schoen
Jan. 27 (Thu) – Brian Flores interviews (satisfies Rooney Rule because it is in-person with someone outside organization)
Jan. 27 (Thu) – Dan Quinn announces he is remaining as Cowboys DC
Jan. 28 (Fri) – Leslie Frazier gets second interview, this time in-person, also satisfying Rooney Rule
Jan. 28 (Fri) – Daboll hired as head coach

thanks.  while it is obvious the asst GM for Bills likely promised he could bring Daboll, it looks no bueno for the Giants.   Belichick tells the Giants he let the cat out of the bag on the 25th and a flurry of activity happens(coincidental or not), even though the Flores and Graham interviews were probably already scheduled.  could be a question of what someone told Belichick. maybe a "It looks like we are going with Daboll"

and the 1st Frazier interview doesn't count.  It is interesting how teams interview both OC and DC from same team.  happened with the Cowboys also.

too funny on Belichick though.  don't let 70 year old coaches text.

4 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Wasn’t the Rooney Rule already satisfied when they interviewed Frazier one day after interviewing Daboll? That was 4-5 days before they interviewed Flores so I don’t get the notion that he got a sham interview after they had already decided on Daboll just to satisfy the Rooney Rule unless I’m not fully understanding the requirements for the Rooney Rule.

has to be in person because part of the rooney rule is to get minority coaches in person interviews for multiple reasons.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Here's a supposed timeline of who was interviewed when. 

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/timeline-new-york-giants-head-coach-interviews-rooney-rule-requirement/591390

Goodell cant tell these guys who to hire, they have all the money ( which is really all of the power) and he serves at their leisure. But owners also want to win and make more money, so if you want to increase the number of minority head coaches, incentivize the owners to hire black coaches in a way that makes it easier to win or make more money. The rooney rule is for appearances only and the fact that it hasnt done jack shit to increase the number of minority hires is evidence that its just there as cover for the owners so they can continue to hire from their comfort zone. 

Incidentally, the only group with more power than the owners in this equation is the NFL fanbase. If fans stopped going to games, stopped watching NFL games, and stopped buying merch until the owners hired more minorities, it would hit them in the pocketbook so fiercely, owners would react immediately. But most fans really dont care either, or at least not as much as they care about playing fantasy football, tailgating, gambling etc...  Hell, if the majority of the country really cared about discrimination in the work force outside of the NFL, discrimination wouldn't continue to exist at the levels it does. 

edit...beaten to the punch by don johnson

Thats why I'm saying GM's and OC/DC don't count. It has helped in those places and no one talks about it.  It has helped for some for HC's(in fact multiple have been recycled even) but its not 70%.  Goodell needs to just tell teams what they have to do as it relates to hiring head coaches so they can get to that 70% number to match the player percentage.

dock them multiple draft picks if they don't do it.

minor quibble: wrt Belichick I feel like everyone should tap the brakes on the "old man texting" memes.....It's not certain that he was texting the wrong Brian. He may have mistakenly assumed the "Brian" his contact tipped him off about was Flores and not Daboll. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

minor quibble: wrt Belichick I feel like everyone should tap the brakes on the "old man texting" memes.....It's not certain that he was texting the wrong Brian. He may have mistakenly assumed the "Brian" his contact tipped him off about was Flores and not Daboll. 

How likely is that scenario  given what the texts actually say?

Edited by Satchel

23 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Rooney ruled changed in recent years.  I believe a team needs 2 different minority in person interviews to satisfy the Rooney rule requirement (ie they needed Frazier's and Flores' interviews to fulfill this obligation). 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

not a chance.  he just scrolled one name too far.  or maybe 2 if he has a friend named Brian Eaton.

36 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Thats why I'm saying GM's and OC/DC don't count. It has helped in those places and no one talks about it.  It has helped for some for HC's(in fact multiple have been recycled even) but its not 70%.  Goodell needs to just tell teams what they have to do as it relates to hiring head coaches so they can get to that 70% number to match the player percentage.

dock them multiple draft picks if they don't do it.

Again, Goodell can try to tell these guys what to do, but he only has as much power as they allow him to have. They approve his contract, they can terminate his ass if they want to. He has to work within a framework they agree to, not the other way around. 

Because no one entity owns the NFL, it is the executive committee that makes decisions regarding league policy changes. All 32 teams have a representative on the executive committee. For most teams, this is the owner of the franchise.

However, some teams have an official from the front office sit in on the committee. The Packers have a nominated president, Mark Murphy, who represents the franchise on the committee. For league changes, a three-quarter majority of members on the executive committee is a requirement.

Goodell does not have any direct say over the direction the NFL takes. Goodell represents the team owners and runs the NFL day-to-day operations. However, major changes in league rules or structures cannot be made by Goodell himself. Therefore, for league changes to occur, the executive committee must ratify and/or amend with the aforementioned majority. And for all intents and purposes, the owners of the NFL constitute that executive committee.

Owners have the power. The rooney rule was created by the NFL's workplace diversity committee which was all NFL owners. That probably largely explains how the league response to criticism was a policy that was nothing more than an act for appearances sake which really had no impact on who the owners choose to hire. 

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I understand who has the power.  Goodell has made enough money.  He should take a principled stand and say that it needs to be 70% black head coaches otherwise it is all just widow dressing.

you have to have an actual number and stick to it.

Goodell doesn’t dictate to the owners. He works for them and they tell him what to do. If they wanted to hire black coaches, they would. That’s the larger point being made by Brian Flores.

Just now, Satchel said:

Goodell doesn’t dictate to the owners. He works for them and they tell him what to do. If they wanted to hire black coaches, they would. That’s the larger point being made by Brian Flores.

I know.  he talks the talk but he doesn't walk the walk.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Well according to the Giants. BB texted Flores before EITHER Brian had interview. 

The text exchange occurred the day before Coach Daboll's in-person interview even took place. Giants' ownership would never hire a head coach based only on a 20-minute zoom interview, which is all that Mr. Daboll had at that point.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33210680/new-york-giants-deny-allegations-levied-former-miami-dolphins-coach-brian-flores-lay-line-hiring-process

51 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I understand who has the power.  Goodell has made enough money.  He should take a principled stand and say that it needs to be 70% black head coaches otherwise it is all just widow dressing.

42 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I know.  he talks the talk but he doesn't walk the walk.

You may be confusing your principles with his, but without any real power, his principles don't matter either. Owners will replace him in a heartbeat The only principles that matter in this case are those of the executive committee (ie owners). If they dont share those principles, the only thing that will lead to action is significant loss of revenue driven by the fans electing not to watch the NFL in person or on TV. I guess the networks could take a principled stand and give up those lucrative contracts, but I don't see that as a very likely scenario, which explains the lack of progress to date. Money talks.

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

john elway is a drunk

BTW., not to say horse tooth ain't lying, but he said the Broncos flew five guys in overnight to interview Flores for over 3 hours, hence the disheveled look.  Maybe John smelt like Rumplemintz but I don't think having a couple of drinks before an interview is a big deal.

11 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Well according to the Giants. BB texted Flores before EITHER Brian had interview. 

The text exchange occurred the day before Coach Daboll's in-person interview even took place. Giants' ownership would never hire a head coach based only on a 20-minute zoom interview, which is all that Mr. Daboll had at that point.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33210680/new-york-giants-deny-allegations-levied-former-miami-dolphins-coach-brian-flores-lay-line-hiring-process

This neither helps nor hurts Brian's case imo.  Could be an indication that Bill already knew.  Or Bill is just an ass hat muck raker?

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

BTW., not to say horse tooth ain't lying, but he said the Broncos flew five guys in overnight to interview Flores for over 3 hours, hence the disheveled look.  Maybe John smelt like Rumplemintz but I don't think having a couple of drinks before an interview is a big deal.

This neither helps nor hurts Brian's case imo.  Could be an indication that Bill already knew.  Or Bill is just an ass hat muck raker?

Agreed, i think it just means the texts are meaningless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

The next 21 hires all would need to be black. 

25 minutes ago, Blotto said:

You may be confusing your principles with his, but without any real power, his principles don't matter either. Owners will replace him in a heartbeat The only principles that matter in this case are those of the executive committee (ie owners). If they dont share those principles, the only thing that will lead to action is significant loss of revenue driven by the fans electing not to watch the NFL in person or on TV. I guess the networks could take a principled stand and give up those lucrative contracts, but I don't see that as a very likely scenario, which explains the lack of progress to date. Money talks.

He can state what he wants and if they fire him, it puts the owners on record that they don't give a shit.  he talks a lot but never does anything.  useless as tits on a boar.

last 11 years have averaged 5 to 6 minority head coaches a year.  they need 4x that many.  

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

The next 21 hires all would need to be black. 

then make it so.  just as easy as making them all white.  I'm sure there are at least 21 black coaches that would accept the jobs and at least as good as adam gase and mike nagy.