Black Monday NFL 2022 thread

shadow_operative

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It seems you believe coaching has no requirements of expertise just levels of melanin. There is zero correlation between player demographics and how coaches are developed. Most coaches embark on that career path after college as they have no playing prospects beyond. Most players do not go into coaching because they want nothing to do with it.

His take is completely cynical. He doesn't believe any of what he's saying and is only pushing this nonsense to push the notion that any attempt to bring fairness to the process is an overstep in his eyes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

His take is completely cynical. He doesn't believe any of what he's saying and is only pushing this nonsense to push the notion that any attempt to bring fairness to the process is an overstep in his eyes.  

This.  There is a lot of numbers between 9% of the league and 70% of the league.  Both of those suck. 

• Like 1

Goodell's response to this topic remains comical. But I get it, he can't really state "I cant make these owners do anything, because I serve at their discretion. They will hire who they want, and if I try to change that, my ass is fired, and I like my $60+ million dollar salary"

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he's frustrated that the league is still facing questions about diversity in hiring of coaches and executives despite efforts to improve.

Goodell, in his annual Super Bowl news conference, said the league "fell short'' in terms of increasing the number of minority head coaches this offseason with the league still having only five minority coaches after two were fired and two were hired this offseason.

He said the league will bring in experts to look at the Rooney Rule and other policies to see what the league can do to increase minority hiring.

Goodell says the NFL can't draw any conclusions yet on whether the interview process itself is flawed in trying to increase the number of minority coaches in the league.

Goodell says the NFL shouldn't draw any conclusions without looking at the process first. He says he doesn't think they can take anything off the table. But he says if there is something flawed with the process the league needs to know how to fix that.

The commissioner noted the NFL created a database providing owners with information on a variety of candidates. He says the NFL has looked at the process. He says he isn't taking anything off the table and he believes outside experts can be very helpful to the league.

The Rooney Rule was for appearances because there is no requirement other than to interview minority candidates. You need to clear a defined easy hurdle and document the process. If you do that,  you're good, and the owners were happy to sign off on that. It would be like passing classes not based on exams, but whether or not you studied. Actually learning anything would be irrelevant as long as you went through the effort of studying. Its not real hard to realize why the process fell short, Roger. 

Saw a note where Steve Wilks is going back to Carolina. I had forgotten all about him. He got a shitty deal. AZ basically used him like Houston did Culley and like Flores is claiming. They got the number one pick but turned around and hired Coach Bro. And the rest is average Coach Bro history.

•  

Goodell's response to this topic remains comical. But I get it, he can't really state "I cant make these owners do anything, because I serve at their discretion. They will hire who they want, and if I try to change that, my ass is fired, and I like my $60+ million dollar salary"

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says he's frustrated that the league is still facing questions about diversity in hiring of coaches and executives despite efforts to improve.

Goodell, in his annual Super Bowl news conference, said the league "fell short'' in terms of increasing the number of minority head coaches this offseason with the league still having only five minority coaches after two were fired and two were hired this offseason.

He said the league will bring in experts to look at the Rooney Rule and other policies to see what the league can do to increase minority hiring.

Goodell says the NFL can't draw any conclusions yet on whether the interview process itself is flawed in trying to increase the number of minority coaches in the league.

Goodell says the NFL shouldn't draw any conclusions without looking at the process first. He says he doesn't think they can take anything off the table. But he says if there is something flawed with the process the league needs to know how to fix that.

The commissioner noted the NFL created a database providing owners with information on a variety of candidates. He says the NFL has looked at the process. He says he isn't taking anything off the table and he believes outside experts can be very helpful to the league.

The Rooney Rule was for appearances because there is no requirement other than to interview minority candidates. You need to clear a defined easy hurdle and document the process. If you do that,  you're good, and the owners were happy to sign off on that. It would be like passing classes not based on exams, but whether or not you studied. Actually learning anything would be irrelevant as long as you went through the effort of studying. Its not real hard to realize why the process fell short, Roger. 

IIRC, The Pollard Alliance wanted to sit in/monitor some of the Rooney interviews just to make sure things were serious. NFL said, hell nah.

Edited by Brothahorn

I guess Lovie Smith isn’t black enough for Flores  if you can actually lose a P.R. battle to the Texans, you’re doing something very wrong  

Flores is a moron. Most fired head coaches are back to coordinator or position coaching positions while they work for another shot. He got interviews immediately and evidently was a finalist for a couple. Filing a lawsuit prior to the end of hiring was stupid. If you’re suing me because I’m a part of the league then go fuck yourself, asshole.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2022 at 4:19 AM, shadow_operative said:

They also have no employees with functioning brains. Wonder how much money they are fleecing from Flores for this fail. The bar should take a look into this and see if they are breaking some ethics codes because they are fucking Flores over bad. 

On 2/13/2022 at 3:07 PM, TonyTexas said:

I guess Lovie Smith isn’t black enough for Flores  if you can actually lose a P.R. battle to the Texans, you’re doing something very wrong  

i read somewhere that the Texans were set to hire Josh McCown and then did a 180 when the Flores lawsuit was announced. supposedly Lovie was not even in consideration for the job prior to the filing of the suit. 

Edited by shadow_operative

On 2/13/2022 at 4:07 PM, TonyTexas said:

Tell me you don’t understand a Title VII retaliation claim without telling me you don’t understand a Title VII retaliation claim. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/13/2022 at 3:07 PM, TonyTexas said:

This isn't about anyone not being "black enough". This is Flores saying i was dropped for consideration for the Texans job because i was suing the NFL, which could definitely be seen as a retaliatory act towards a person who is "making trouble" for the league.

The media is fawning over the Steelers for this hire and how Flores shouldnt be a position coach. Uhh other than his somewhat mediocre time in Miami he’s always been a position coach, never a coordinator.

Tomlin has never hired a black coordinator. His career was tied to Tony Dungy giving him opportunities.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The media is fawning over the Steelers for this hire and how Flores shouldnt be a position coach. Uhh other than his somewhat mediocre time in Miami he’s always been a position coach, never a coordinator.

Tomlin has never hired a black coordinator. His career was tied to Tony Dungy giving him opportunities.

Mentioned a few pages ago but Flores himself has never had minority coordinators while Kyle shanahan has now had two minority coordinators become Head coaches.  I understand Saleh isn’t black and McDaniel is only 1/2 but still……

and to go from position coach to hc, like Flores did is pretty impressive. 

McDaniel only half? Because he’s lighter skinned the media is downplaying his blackness. He has never tried to “pass” or shied away from his background. Obama is only half black but he’s considered black. Kids who are mixed race often have issues from both sides of their race.

When Flores was named HC at Miami I put it to Ross being his usual dumbass self. I have friends with close contact inside the Pats and there was a lot of wonder how he got the job. I’ve not been impressed with his coaching style or temperament. Has nothing to do with him being black.

I think it’s a shame a bunch of well qualified black coaches haven’t been elevated yet. Leftwich, Frazier, Bowles, Bienemy and others deserve a shot especially over some of the ones that got hired. I am fascinated with Deion and where his journey is taking him.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

McDaniel only half? Because he’s lighter skinned the media is downplaying his blackness. He has never tried to “pass” or shied away from his background. Obama is only half black but he’s considered black. Kids who are mixed race often have issues from both sides of their race.

When Flores was named HC at Miami I put it to Ross being his usual dumbass self. I have friends with close contact inside the Pats and there was a lot of wonder how he got the job. I’ve not been impressed with his coaching style or temperament. Has nothing to do with him being black.

I think it’s a shame a bunch of well qualified black coaches haven’t been elevated yet. Leftwich, Frazier, Bowles, Bienemy and others deserve a shot especially over some of the ones that got hired. I am fascinated with Deion and where his journey is taking him.

I think we're on the same page.  A few pages ago I posted a link of a Deadspin article where they framed Mike Daniels as just another young white guy. Yes, he's young, also, has been a coach since 05 and actually was a coordinator (unlike Flores when he got his job).  Also, hate to say this, but young white dudes have done ok, McVay, Taylor and Kyle being 3.

I actually think Flores is the best of the Bellichek disciples but obviously you have more of an insight than me.  Again, Miami's GM, who fired him, is also black so I don't think the issue is with Flores's race.

Leftwich wasn't going to take the Jax job while Baalke was the GM, that was the issue there.  He wanted to bring in his own guy from the Cards I think.

Apparently, Bienemy doesn't interview well.

I'd give Bowles another shot but he has a sub .400 coaching record.

+1 on Deion.  He has the potential to be great imo.

I think we're on the same page.  A few pages ago I posted a link of a Deadspin article where they framed Mike Daniels as just another young white guy. Yes, he's young, also, has been a coach since 05 and actually was a coordinator (unlike Flores when he got his job).  Also, hate to say this, but young white dudes have done ok, McVay, Taylor and Kyle being 3.

I actually think Flores is the best of the Bellichek disciples but obviously you have more of an insight than me.  Again, Miami's GM, who fired him, is also black so I don't think the issue is with Flores's race.

Leftwich wasn't going to take the Jax job while Baalke was the GM, that was the issue there.  He wanted to bring in his own guy from the Cards I think.

Apparently, Bienemy doesn't interview well.

I'd give Bowles another shot but he has a sub .400 coaching record.

+1 on Deion.  He has the potential to be great imo.

Belichick hires and manages his assistants to do their job 100% his way. They are there solely to be him at the times he can’t be five places at once. He could give a shit about a coaching tree or developing coaches to be head coaches. It’s why they have a horrible track record when they leave NE, but they get the jobs because the NFL always ways to copy success. These owners just have no feel for how Bill operates.

Other than Saban there has not been a Belichick coach that has done worth a shit. Al Groh, Romeo Crenel, Eric Mangini, jim Schwartz, Josh mcdaniels, bill OBrien, Charlie Weis, Matt Patricia, Joe judge, Flores. All sucked. Some were surprise failures as Schwartz is a brilliant analyst and defensive coach, mangini was highly regarded. As much as I respect Belichick as a coach I would never hire one of his assistants.

I’ve heard that Bienemy interviews poorly. Stupid Shad Khan had no takers except fruitloop has been Pederson; a lot of candidates just didn’t answer the phone. Leftwich is doing well in Tampa and might succeed Arians.

The thing the media fails with both in pro and college is that the money has changed things for young coaches and families. The old “there’s only 32 nfl jobs so you gotta go when you get the call” is no longer valid. No longer do they have to move every season to step up for a $3000 raise and a car allowance. When you can make $500k as a position coach and $2-3 mill as a coordinator the wife is saying why are we moving when the kids love their school and I live our house at the country club? The coaches also know that it’s about the whole organization: owner, GM, scouting, coaches, and QB. Why go to Jax and deal with an idiot like Baalke and a moron owner. Same in Houston. jets. Stay put and wait for the right job; otherwise you’re fired after three years and starting over.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Arians has done more than any coach on inclusivity. Both coordinators are black and he always said one of them would succeed him. Had Brady not retired Arians wouldn’t have retired as to not leave Bowles with a rebuild and no qb. He’s a good guy.

Supposedly hiring Bowles like this violates some new iteration of the Rooney rule and they have to get a league pass.

32 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Arians has done more than any coach on inclusivity. Both coordinators are black and he always said one of them would succeed him. Had Brady not retired Arians wouldn’t have retired as to not leave Bowles with a rebuild and no qb. He’s a good guy.

Supposedly hiring Bowles like this violates some new iteration of the Rooney rule and they have to get a league pass.

Supposedly shanahan has never had a white coordinator