Black Monday NFL 2022 thread

shadow_operative

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

Would Leftwich or Bienemy even want the job? They are gonna force mccown on you and fire you as soon as they can. It's a situation where they'd basically be sabotaged.

I have no idea. I dont follow the texans at all and was unaware that Lovie Smith was actually already their DC,  which is why I questioned Poe It Up on why it would be faster to hire him rather than the BL or EB. Makes sense now. They do such a shitty job running that franchise, I imagine anyone with options would consider all other possible employers before the Texans.

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

The next coach for the Saints is going to fail and get fired.  Need to hire someone who won't sue them when that happens.

Probably, but if the NFL forces a coach on Loomis, they are going to ruthlessly dump salary without regard to winning. It’ll be a “everyone must go, will take a warm case of Abita as payment” firesale.

Edited by Bateshorn

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I have no idea. I dont follow the texans at all and was unaware that Lovie Smith was actually already their DC,  which is why I questioned Poe It Up on why it would be faster to hire him rather than the BL or EB. Makes sense now. They do such a shitty job running that franchise, I imagine anyone with options would consider all other possible employers before the Texans.

Oh for sure. And it's not just a concern for leftwich or bienemy either. Any viable candidate would have to seriously ask themselves if they are ready to have that shitshow pinned on them. Legit coaches don't want the stink on them. James Campen ran away as fast as he could.

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I've never understood the NFL stigma about tanking.  Philly did it last year with not playing Hurts in the 4th quarter and people talked about it like they were murdering children or something.

Meanwhile, NBA teams openly tank for years and it's fine.

Rule #1 of tank club is don't talk about tank club. Mark Cuban was fined $600000 for basically admitting to tanking on DP show.

But it's true. Tanking is incentivized. Bad teams are rewarded. They should just do a true lottery with all the non-playoff teams to determine draft order.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I've never understood the NFL stigma about tanking.  Philly did it last year with not playing Hurts in the 4th quarter and people talked about it like they were murdering children or something.

Not really sure there was a stigma.  Until now.  Now that it’s revealed to be racist.  

I’d prefer Leftwich over a 63 year old retread. Then again, I think the Texan’s hands were tied on this one. 
Funny thing is the Texans are an above average NFL team when it comes to NFL diversity. Rick Smith, Culley, 3 Black DC coordinators. There are teams that helped start the league who don't have that kind of record.

And no to Smith. Hire Leftwich!
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Well that’s the problem with forcing coaches: unless you are set up to succeed now, you really incentivize ownership to dump talent and salary, tank, and look towards starting over from scratch in 3 years when you hire someone you want.

But most of the teams looking for coaches are pretty much going to be shit shows right?   Or we make all of the division winners fire their coaches and hire African Americans?

16 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You people promoting the idea that the NFL can force individual owners to hire anyone need to remove your tin foil hats. Sure, they can do it through league wide policy by incentivizing or penalizing but not via back room mandates. 

Yeah, that was my point about Kamara and the Saints. Because the dummy decided to beat the shit out of somebody at the club, now Goodell can dangle length of suspension over Mickey Loomis’ head, which will materially affect the Saints on field success or ability to trade Kamara to free up Salary cap. But the flip side of that is if the Saints hire Flores tomorrow, there’s no reason Loomis can’t just dump all the talent with the expectation the team will fire Flores in 3 years anyway.  If Flores refuses the job, then he’s destroyed his case against the NFL.

I don’t know what the league could honestly do to the Texans to force them to hire a black coach. 

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Yeah, that was my point about Kamara and the Saints. Because the dummy decided to beat the shit out of somebody at the club, now Goodell can dangle length of suspension over Mickey Loomis’ head, which will materially affect the Saints on field success or ability to trade Kamara to free up Salary cap. But the flip side of that is if the Saints hire Flores tomorrow, there’s no reason Loomis can’t just dump all the talent with the expectation the team will fire Flores in 3 years anyway.  If Flores refuses the job, then he’s destroyed his case against the NFL.

I don’t know what the league could honestly do to the Texans to force them to hire a black coach. 

I think Miami having a black gm and now a 1/4 black head coach could hurt Brian’s case

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You people promoting the idea that the NFL can force individual owners to hire anyone need to remove your tin foil hats. Sure, they can do it through league wide policy by incentivizing or penalizing but not via back room mandates. 

They didn’t tell them who to hire, they told them who not to hire. 

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

But most of the teams looking for coaches are pretty much going to be shit shows right?   Or we make all of the division winners fire their coaches and hire African Americans?

But that shot show varies from team to team.  The Dolphins and Jags are notoriously poorly run franchises.  Not quite the Commanders, but close.  The Saints have a history of smart management and talent acquisition, but need to work through cap ramifications of trying to put  one more contender together with Brees. You can either try to keep the team competitive through that unwinding, or just through your hands in the air and eat a ton of dead money on bad trade deals  to dump salary, knowing the team is going to suck ass. 

Edited by Bateshorn

I'd prefer Leftwich but I'm not sure how badly he wants to bring his guy from Arizona in?  Could Bienemy get the NO gig?

Of course you’d prefer Leftwich. Everyone would. But he is smart and is not going to plunge into a fucking endless coal mine fire like the Texans. Arians pays him well and counsels him not to work for shitstain organizations.

That is one thing the media fails to understand. Assistant coaches and coordinators these days make great money. They don’t have the need to take any opportunity that comes along and should be questioning the organization. The media has failed to look at the reality that some of the best prospects rejected some of the teams looking.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Frankly I feel the flat out ignoring of Asian females in coaching positions and females in general has me appalled. This good ole boys club and toxic male patriarchy needs to die 

Nobody wants traffic accidents and sideways pussy bruv. 

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

The next coach for the Saints is going to fail and get fired.  Need to hire someone who won't sue them when that happens.

Flores’ career is over because of this. 

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It’s Philly. Whilst tanking, the Tonys and Sals at The Link were murdering children. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

Yes but if it means a racist like elway gets roasted it’ll be worth it.   I’m sure Brian can write a book or go the motivational speaker route to butter his bread

I don’t follow. Must be sarcasm

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Well that’s the problem with forcing coaches: unless you are set up to succeed now, you really incentivize ownership to dump talent and salary, tank, and look towards starting over from scratch in 3 years when you hire someone you want.

The Bengals went 2-14 and 4-11-1 before going to the Super Bowl. The only reason a team can't compete is because of incompetence and that comes from the top.

28 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The Bengals went 2-14 and 4-11-1 before going to the Super Bowl. The only reason a team can't compete is because of incompetence and that comes from the top.

Yeah, every team should get competence at the top, and a Burrow and Chase. Those guys grow on trees. 

Edited by Porterhouse

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yeah, every team should get competence at the top, and a Burrow and Chase. Those guys grow on trees. 

Not every team can draft Mitch Trubisky ahead of Patrick Mahomes and Tua instead of Herbert. Funny how Flores wanted Herbert but the owner wanted Tua and Flores is the one who got fired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Not every team can draft Mitch Trubisky ahead of Patrick Mahomes and Tua instead of Herbert. Funny how Flores wanted Herbert but the owner wanted Tua and Flores is the one who got fired.

Funny how the Bengals would still be the Bungles, even with their newfound competence at the top, if they had Mitch the Bitch and Ruggs instead of Burrow/Chase

Edited by Porterhouse

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

If you require 70% to be black/minority then by default you are going to have some hired to good teams and therefore won't be paid to tank.  Also, good chance they win a SB as well.  Everyone is happy. you've matched the percentage of coaches to percentage of players and some of those coaches will make the playoffs.  who could be upset about that?

39 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

this guy was 8-28 as a head coach, but hey hes probably gotten better

Lulz. His players have gotten markedly better and have been healthy all season. 

If you require 70% to be black/minority then by default you are going to have some hired to good teams and therefore won't be paid to tank.  Also, good chance they win a SB as well.  Everyone is happy. you've matched the percentage of coaches to percentage of players and some of those coaches will make the playoffs.  who could be upset about that?

It seems you believe coaching has no requirements of expertise just levels of melanin. There is zero correlation between player demographics and how coaches are developed. Most coaches embark on that career path after college as they have no playing prospects beyond. Most players do not go into coaching because they want nothing to do with it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

It seems you believe coaching has no requirements of expertise just levels of melanin. There is zero correlation between player demographics and how coaches are developed. Most coaches embark on that career path after college as they have no playing prospects beyond. Most players do not go into coaching because they want nothing to do with it.

Right but how do you explain a savant like mine McDaniel, who’s been in the nfl since 2005, to have to wait 17 years to get a job?  And he’s African American 

It seems a little racist that, out of 52 Mondays in the year, only one is black. For that matter, why is it that a day when bad things happen is called black? Negative stereotypes like that must end. Black should no longer be considered dark and evil. It should be the new rainbow. Screw the LGBQT community. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

It seems a little racist that, out of 52 Mondays in the year, only one is black. For that matter, why is it that a day when bad things happen is called black? Negative stereotypes like that must end. Black should no longer be considered dark and evil. It should be the new rainbow. Screw the LGBQT community. 

Black Friday is a good day for merchants

6 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

He’s 38. That’s very young for and nfl HC. He’s been an OC one year.

Older than mcvay and Taylor I think?  Close to the same age as when lafleuer, shanahan and gruden got their start.  All have been pretty successful.  

Brian flores was about the same age and hadn’t been a coordinator when Miami hired him. 

Edited by closetohumping

12 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I agree that coaches get on that career path when they stop playing.  there are hundreds if not thousands of black players that stop playing after college.

I'm just telling you what the public requires and what ESPN and news orgs are stating is fair. they are the ones that base it all on melanin levels. they require that the percentage of head coaches of a particular race match the percentage of players of that race. 

5-6 minority coaches on average a year is not good enough. and 20+ is closer to the 70%.  the only way that happens is if Goodell puts his foot down and declares that it must be so or he's out.

He's already stated he's appalled about it and is going the Steve Patterson route and hiring "Korn Ferry" because of how mad/upset he is.

23 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Not necessarily. The Jaguars have potentially a generational QB talent, loads of draft picks,  and plenty of space under the cap.  If it weren't for their ownership and the abysmal track record of their personnel department they'd be a surefire destination job.  Regardless even with those issues a confident coach with championship pedigree (ala Doug Pedersen) will believe he could navigate those waters.   

I agree that coaches get on that career path when they stop playing.  there are hundreds if not thousands of black players that stop playing after college.
I'm just telling you what the public requires and what ESPN and news orgs are stating is fair. they are the ones that base it all on melanin levels. they require that the percentage of head coaches of a particular race match the percentage of players of that race. 
5-6 minority coaches on average a year is not good enough. and 20+ is closer to the 70%.  the only way that happens is if Goodell puts his foot down and declares that it must be so or he's out.
He's already stated he's appalled about it and is going the Steve Patterson route and hiring "Korn Ferry" because of how mad/upset he is.

You are out of your mind. Goodell works for the owners. At $40 mil a year he’ll pay attention to them or he’ll be out. No one with a brain is yammering for 70% minority coaches.

19 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

SIAP but I saw this over the weekend:

Out of 792 NFL coaches, 111 are related to other coaches.  Out of 32 head coaches, 11 are related to other coaches.

If your widen that relationship to nfl personnel and marriage it probably grows by a few more. I know the Bengals head coach Zac Taylor married former NFL & Aggy coach,  Mike Sherman's daughter. There are a few more like that sprinkled throughout the issue. Even the truly talented coaches like Shannahan and McVay are related to coaches and former front office personnel.