Black Monday NFL 2022 thread

shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He can state what he wants and if they fire him, it puts the owners on record that they don't give a shit.  he talks a lot but never does anything.  useless as tits on a boar.

last 11 years have averaged 5 to 6 minority head coaches a year.  they need 4x that many.  

Why? 

were there white guys interviewed after that text?  I'm guessing there weren't any but I don't know.

They had already interviewed Lesley Frazier satisfying their “check the box” Rooney rule. They didn’t owe Flores an interview. Flores isn’t pissed that other blacks aren’t being hired. He’s pissed he didn’t get hired. And Belichick’s text isn’t evidence but anecdotal.

10 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

They had already interviewed Lesley Frazier satisfying their “check the box” Rooney rule. They didn’t owe Flores an interview. Flores isn’t pissed that other blacks aren’t being hired. He’s pissed he didn’t get hired. And Belichick’s text isn’t evidence but anecdotal.

Did the text exchange indicate Belichick knew the Giants had already hired their coach?

We are likely to find out that tanking is accepted dogma and more widespread than generally believed. This will necessitate changes in NFL drafting protocols which will probably include a draft lottery. Since owners are content to talk about social justice without ever really being about it, not much will change unless there and until there is a monetary incentive for them to do so.

The interesting thing to know about Jax would be if any of the other interviewees turned down an offer or second interview due to the universal dislike of GM Trent Baalke. Jax interviewed Bowle, Leftwich, jim Caldwell, along with Bissacia, Pederson, Eberflus, Kellen Moore, nat Hackett, bill o brien (yikes!), and Fangio. I would have hired retread Jim Caldwell who proved himself a solid coach in Indy and Detroit. Pederson will be gone in three max. He’s terrible.

The interesting thing to know about Jax would be if any of the other interviewees turned down an offer or second interview due to the universal dislike of GM Trent Baalke. Jax interviewed Bowle, Leftwich, jim Caldwell, along with Bissacia, Pederson, Eberflus, Kellen Moore, nat Hackett, bill o brien (yikes!), and Fangio. I would have hired retread Jim Caldwell who proved himself a solid coach in Indy and Detroit. Pederson will be gone in three max. He’s terrible.

And Leftwich was the supposedly the leading candidate and pulled out. Baalke is a douchebag.

Leftwich would make a great HC in my view. Saints oughta call him.

Dolphins should hire him but haven’t interviewed him.

19 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

And Leftwich was the supposedly the leading candidate and pulled out. Baalke is a douchebag.

Is it Baalke or Khan?

22 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Read or heard somewhere Byron was t coming if Baalke was around

14 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Have you been paying attention at all? All the rumored innuendo about Flores being difficult to work with to him wanting DeSean Watson over Tua are in question following the context his allegations give to those rumors.  If the story about him not wanting to meet with that quarterback are true then the entire storyline concerning him wanting Watson over Tua could very well be the exact opposite. And this nonsense about him only beating bad teams is rubbish. This is the NFL there are no gimmies in the league. Buffalo lost to Jacksonville. The Jets beat the Titans and the Bengals this year. Strength of schedule or whatever you're trying to allude to is meaningless when you're talking about the NFL. In addition to that you cant even show me data detailing how his wins are comparatively less impressive than any other team in the NFL over that period time. It's a nonsensical point. Furthermore, if we're to believe Flores, he ostensibly achieved the record you're discrediting against the organization's wishes and attempts to make it even worse. 

His poor relationship with Tua is pretty well known, even before he was fired.  He wanted Deshaun Watson, when asked about it in interviews, he didn't dismiss the idea of Watson going to the Dolphins. A good Head Coach wouldn't entertain that speculation, they will stay the course and say they are committed to the QB they have (even if they want someone else). Like it or not, Head Coaches are there to run the game and prepare the team, it's the GM's job to build the roster and give them players to work with.  Tua was chosen to be there by the GM and Owner, whether Flores liked it or not, that's the guy the Dolphins got, so you gotta at least try to make it work. 

If you want a really in-depth read on that relationship and Flores' relationship with the Dolphins management, read this:  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1/10/22876955/brian-flores-fired-miami-dolphins-stephen-ross

Then there's this report:
"I remember I said there was commentary between the head coach and Tua during the season and I wouldn't reveal what the conversation was. Well, the conversation was, 'Hey, if I'd have (known) you were going to be this bad, I would have picked Mac Jones.'  Big Oof.  It may be true, maybe Tua sucks, but Tua did help the team beat Mac Jones twice this year... *shrug*

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/former-miami-dolphins-head-coach-brian-flores-still-making-news

Does that sound like a guy who was on board with the vision the owner and GM had for the team?  Can you recall any other coach who hated the first round QB the GM picked for him to work with, and how that worked out?  Shades of Jeff Fisher and VY here, but in this case management it siding with the QB not the Head Coach. I think they fired Flores to help save Tua, because Flores wasn't gonna make Tua reach his potential. 

I think that despite Flores' record of doing decently with a shitty team, Flores seems like someone who lacks common sense and decency to work with the players he's given. That's a bad attitude to have in this business, you often don't get to pick and choose your players. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Again: if you want to expand minority hires, reward it with draft picks.  The teams that think it’s important will do it. 

yeah, add a crutch.  That'll scream equality.

You also better hope the win every time with the "reward" of more talent on their roster.   Might as well expand their salary cap too.  Give em 4 Times-out per half?

Edited by slorch

Is it Baalke or Khan?

Shad Khan is the owner. He is a moron.

Trent Baalke is the GM. He is total asshole.

Baalke is the problem for most of these candidates.

Evidently the unemployed Doug Pederson is willing to suck dick to get another job.

Trevor Lawrence should be praying he doesn’t end up like fucking Wentz. Pederson is horrible.

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

His poor relationship with Tua is pretty well known, even before he was fired.  He wanted Deshaun Watson, when asked about it in interviews, he didn't dismiss the idea of Watson going to the Dolphins. A good Head Coach wouldn't entertain that speculation, they will stay the course and say they are committed to the QB they have (even if they want someone else). Like it or not, Head Coaches are there to run the game and prepare the team, it's the GM's job to build the roster and give them players to work with.  Tua was chosen to be there by the GM and Owner, whether Flores liked it or not, that's the guy the Dolphins got, so you gotta at least try to make it work. 

If you want a really in-depth read on that relationship and Flores' relationship with the Dolphins management, read this:  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1/10/22876955/brian-flores-fired-miami-dolphins-stephen-ross

Then there's this report:
"I remember I said there was commentary between the head coach and Tua during the season and I wouldn't reveal what the conversation was. Well, the conversation was, 'Hey, if I'd have (known) you were going to be this bad, I would have picked Mac Jones.'  Big Oof.  It may be true, maybe Tua sucks, but Tua did help the team beat Mac Jones twice this year... *shrug*

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/former-miami-dolphins-head-coach-brian-flores-still-making-news

Does that sound like a guy who was on board with the vision the owner and GM had for the team?  Can you recall any other coach who hated the first round QB the GM picked for him to work with, and how that worked out?  Shades of Jeff Fisher and VY here, but in this case management it siding with the QB not the Head Coach. I think they fired Flores to help save Tua, because Flores wasn't gonna make Tua reach his potential. 

I think that despite Flores' record of doing decently with a shitty team, Flores seems like someone who lacks common sense and decency to work with the players he's given. That's a bad attitude to have in this business, you often don't get to pick and choose your players. 

The guy who referenced those comments by Flores to Tua on the podcast , Mike Lombardi,  is sort of going back on Flores making those specific comments to Tua.  

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The guy who referenced those comments by Flores to Tua on the podcast , Mike Lombardi,  is sort of going back on Flores making those specific comments to Tua.  

Did I miss something?  Saying to your QB during a game, "I should have Mac Jones instead of you" is ok?

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think deadspin went from panning a mile McDaniel hire to endorsing him maybe?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/deadspin-mike-mcdaniel-biracial-white-guy.amp

no CR.  Something to chuckle about 

Lulz.  I thought deadspin was dead but that is a throwback to classic deadspin.  Self parody at its finest.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

And Lombardi is saying those are his words not Flores but he never clarifies what Flores said.  Read the tweet. 

So he's not quoting Flores, but it sounds like he was paraphrasing whatever was said. I don't see anything from him that says this conversation didn't happen. 

13 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So he's not quoting Flores, but it sounds like he was paraphrasing whatever was said. I don't see anything from him that says this conversation didn't happen. 

His willingness to attempt to clarify what he said without actually clarifying anything give me pause and leads me to believe he realizes he pushed a bit past the truth, plus his past history of doing Jeff Fisher's bidding in defaming VY lead me to believe he's not above carrying water for his sources when they want to push a narrative.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Not sure where I heard or read but Brian apparently was pretty vocal about Herbert being his choice.  Greer and I guess Ross wanted tua

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure where I heard or read but Brian apparently was pretty vocal about Herbert being his choice.  Greer and I guess Ross wanted tua

Yeah, multiple sources reported that, primarily Jason La Canfora, who isn't known to make up stuff for headlines. Of course, Flores waited until after Hebert's rookie season to make this known, so no telling if he actually pushed for him on draft day or he's using hindsight to make himself look smarter than the GM. 

Anyway, Flores benched Tua several times during his rookie season in favor of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Most coaches would roll with the rookie for better or worse, to let them make mistakes and learn from them. Flores seems like a shitty person to work with from what I've read, and it seems he has no interest in developing players that aren't "his guys." That's a bad habit for a Head Coach to have, sometimes you have to be an adult and work with teammates you don't like. Sabotaging them isn't productive.

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, multiple sources reported that, primarily Jason La Canfora, who isn't known to make up stuff for headlines. Of course, Flores waited until after Hebert's rookie season to make this known, so no telling if he actually pushed for him on draft day or he's using hindsight to make himself look smarter than the GM. 

Anyway, Flores benched Tua several times during his rookie season in favor of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Most coaches would roll with the rookie for better or worse, to let them make mistakes and learn from them. Flores seems like a shitty person to work with from what I've read, and it seems he has no interest in developing players that aren't "his guys." That's a bad habit for a Head Coach to have, sometimes you have to be an adult and work with teammates you don't like. Sabotaging them isn't productive.

So many ass clowns, including Colin, who I actually like, came out and said they liked Herbert, after the fact.  Colin was all over Tua.  I didn't see many people say Herbert was the better prospect.  

My guess is Ross and Greer (who is black) said "forget Fitzpatrick, let's see if Tua can play" and Flores basically said fuck off.

I’m not sure how much Dolphins football you watched the last couple of seasons, but Tua is not good.  The dime dropping badass you saw at Alabama did not show up in Miami.

I watched most of the Saints-Miami game in December.  He’s lost quite a bit of the mobility he had prior to the hip injury, and seems to have lost some arm strength as well. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

Lulz.  I thought deadspin was dead but that is a throwback to classic deadspin.  Self parody at its finest.

That whole article was parody.  I liked how Fox News explicitly had to label Deadspin as "liberal" in the first sentence of the article, and then again later, just in case the point wasn't clear.  

The Rooney rule is stupid

hiring someone specifically because of a race is racist by definition 

How is something that looks through only the lens of race going to help sort out struggles of different races

how do you think these guys feel going through a potential dog and pony show only to satisfy an interview because they are a certain skin color

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:09 AM, dcar00 said:

he should just tell every team(and make it public) that their next HC must be black assuming they have an opening(especially the Pats and Cowboys) and that one of the current teams has to hire Bienemy.  oh, and GM's don't count.  the public has no idea who any of the GM's are save Jerry Jones because he's so awful at it.

I couldn’t disagree more with your tactics here, unless you are being 100% sarcastic. 

12 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I couldn’t disagree more with your tactics here, unless you are being 100% sarcastic. 

they've only averaged 5-6 minority head coaches a year over the last 10 years.  they need 20+ to match the 70% of players who are black in a 32 team league so that everything is fair.  how is that going to happen without mandating the hiring of black/minority HC's?

Edited by dcar00

they've only averaged 5-6 minority head coaches a year over the last 10 years.  they need 20+ to match the 70% of players who are black in a 32 team league so that everything is fair.  how is that going to happen without mandating the hiring of black/minority HC's?

How is that fair again? There is nothing requiring those kinds of racial quotas in anything.