Black Monday NFL 2022 thread

shadow_operative

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

The NFL head coach hiring practices apparently didn't affect him at all and allowed him to be Jeff Fisher for 16 years.  so yes it's hilarious he is weighing in.

Cincinnati notoriously didn't even have a scouting department when Lewis got there. Mike Brown is well known as the cheapest and worst owner in the NFL. He took over ownership after his Dad passed in 1991 which commenced the beginning of the organizations struggled.  They were absolute garbage Lewis got there. So yeah Marvin Lewis got 16 years,  because he essentially built that organization from the ground up.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

So a few more thoughts.  Do I think Daboll was going to get the job?  Yes.  I’ve seen this happen outside of the nfl as well.  Teams and companies are just covering their bases and maybe 1 out of 100 times someone’s interview is so good that they hire another candidate, see Mack Brown.

Este.

I can’t speak for the trades or O&G, but anybody who works in a white collar job knows half the jobs are pre set and you will advertise & interview a couple of outside candidates for EEOC purposes. 

I took an interview with a trade association about 6 months ago and it was readily apparent from the interactions that I was just a box checking exercise in the second round once it got to the department and out of HR. They hired a staffer from a member on ways and means 2 weeks later who I assume they had been targeting all along.  Still a good experience to stay sharp. 

Im not excusing the NFL here, but interview requirements won’t build diversity.  Giving bonus draft pick’s however probably would, and will creat opportunity up and down the HS/college/pro pipeline that currently doesn’t exist.  If teams need a 30% diverse staff to get an extra third round and a minority head coach for a bonus first round, they’ll start agitating for more minority coaches at the lower levels.  More black coaches will move out of the recruiting slots (rb/te) and into schematic/management positions.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Cincinnati notoriously didn't even have a scouting department when Lewis got there. Mike Brown is well known as the cheapest and worst owner in the NFL. He took over ownership after his Dad passed in 1991 which commenced the beginning of the organizations struggled.  They were absolute garbage Lewis got there. So yeah Marvin Lewis got 16 years,  because he essentially built that organization from the ground up.  

Cincy fans are going to be in for a tough fall when some of the rookie contracts on this current squad come due and Brown let’s the players walk rather than pay them.

13 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Este.

I can’t speak for the trades or O&G, but anybody who works in a white collar job knows half the jobs are pre set and you will advertise & interview a couple of outside candidates for EEOC purposes. 

I took an interview with a trade association about 6 months ago and it was readily apparent from the interactions that I was just a box checking exercise in the second round once it got to the department and out of HR. They hired a staffer from a member on ways and means 2 weeks later who I assume they had been targeting all along.  Still a good experience to stay sharp. 

Im not excusing the NFL here, but interview requirements won’t build diversity.  Giving bonus draft pick’s however probably would, and will creat opportunity up and down the HS/college/pro pipeline that currently doesn’t exist.  If teams need a 30% diverse staff to get an extra third round and a minority head coach for a bonus first round, they’ll start agitating for more minority coaches at the lower levels.  More black coaches will move out of the recruiting slots (rb/te) and into schematic/management positions.

I’ve also interviewed and had colleagues interviewed for an internal role and been told “we decided to look outside the org for a different perspective or new blood”

and again I’ve also worked for a company who sent a memo that said “we looked at a lot of black candidates but ultimately the two persons we hired were the best fit.  We assure you we will try our best next round”.  And to their credit they did

Edited by closetohumping

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Vikes are passing on Harbaugh but hiring another white dude.  I thought leftwich led for the Jags

Dennis Allen is almost certainly going to get the Saints unless the NFL does something crazy and forces Mickey Loomis to hire a black coach. 

Hiring managers often have already identified a candidate but they have to post and perhaps interview based on HR rules.  I'm sure that I've had some interviews where I wasn't being seriously considered. But I've never knowingly took an interview as a networking tool. I would never subject myself to that. I'm happy to meet with someone to talk about future opportunities but waste my time checking your box? No thanks.

As for the remaining 5 open NFL jobs, there is no doubt Goodell is calling each of those owners and GMs reminding them of the current environment and it helps the NFL if there were more minority head coaches. Goodell can repay them later on. And let's face it, if you're a bad NFL team who just fired a coach, odds are high your next hire won't last more than a couple of years anyway.  It's a safe bet that whoever the Texans hire will be gone in 3 seasons if not sooner. It's possible their next hire is the next Belichek but extremely doubtful.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hiring managers often have already identified a candidate but they have to post and perhaps interview based on HR rules.  I'm sure that I've had some interviews where I wasn't being seriously considered. But I've never knowingly took an interview as a networking tool. I would never subject myself to that. I'm happy to meet with someone to talk about future opportunities but waste my time checking your box? No thanks.

As for the remaining 5 open NFL jobs, there is no doubt Goodell is calling each of those owners and GMs reminding them of the current environment and it helps the NFL if there were more minority head coaches. Goodell can repay them later on. And let's face it, if you're a bad NFL team who just fired a coach, odds are high your next hire won't last more than a couple of years anyway.  It's a safe bet that whoever the Texans hire will be gone in 3 seasons if not sooner. It's possible their next hire is the next Belichek but extremely doubtful.

To each their own.  I've gotten call backs before or they've moved to another company and said "you were really impressive when I interviewed you at X, got a new opportunity at Y."

Both internally and externally I've found it to be fruitful. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder how many people(black or otherwise)we interviewed for the Special Assisstant to the Assistant Night Manger role that and old white guy coach got?

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

yes the bengals are cheap.  Marvin Lewis is a good coach, kind of like Jeff Fisher is a good coach.

18 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

1st time the Dolphins have had back to back winning seasons since 2003. More than likely Flores was only hired in the first place to lose as evidenced by the owner asking him to do just that. Much like David Culley, Flores was hired to bridge the organization to the next guy while the Dolphins gathered top tier draft assets before they hired their real coach. 

He had 3 years to prove himself, and despite a 25-24 record in that time, he never once made me think the Dolphins we're a legitimate good team. They beat shitty teams that were eliminated from the playoffs a lot to pad that record, while essentially treading water. That's not a great sign for a coach. 

Him being interested in trading for Deshaun Watson during the off-season was likely detrimental to the teams QB Tua, which is a bad look for any HC. Your GM picked a QB, and while he's not your first choice, you need to support him and work with him. I'm sure the Dolphins wanted him out after that, but probably couldn't cut him due to costs. Cutting him loose with one year left on his deal isn't so bad. 

The lawsuit sounds like sour grapes to me. The racist allegations against the NFL are significant and not without some merit, but the examples he provided don't amount to racism to me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

he should just tell every team(and make it public) that their next HC must be black assuming they have an opening(especially the Pats and Cowboys) and that one of the current teams has to hire Bienemy.  oh, and GM's don't count.  the public has no idea who any of the GM's are save Jerry Jones because he's so awful at it.

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he should just tell every team(and make it public) that their next HC must be black assuming they have an opening(especially the Pats and Cowboys) and that one of the current teams has to hire Bienemy.  oh, and GM's don't count.  the public has no idea who any of the GM's are save Jerry Jones because he's so awful at it.

IMO gms should count.

I wonder how many people(black or otherwise)we interviewed for the Special Assisstant to the Assistant Night Manger role that and old white guy coach got?

I was just about to ask, didn’t Gary P just get a job in which he was the only realistic candidate?

A couple of other things. NFL teams tank all the time. Two years ago Baker beat the Steelers to make the playoffs. Several Steelers sat to rest for the playoffs. They didn’t try to lose, but they didn’t put their best effort into winning. So if the Dolphins were tanking for a better pick and really it’s better picks in each round, then I don’t fault them. If it were to get you what would become a Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes or maybe Joe Burrow, then it’s the right move. Pro baseball teams tank all the time for the future.

From my fans standpoint, who like the rest of you doesn’t know shit about the entirety of the inner workings of these discussions, I would have bet money that Flores would get another head coaching job albeit not this year. He really hasn’t shown enough to be a slam dunk hire in year 1 after getting let go. Daboll on the other hand was going to get a job with his work on the Bills and Allen. And it’s probably an easy sell to an organization if they think Daniel Jones is the guy.

24 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

He had 3 years to prove himself, and despite a 25-24 record in that time, he never once made me think the Dolphins we're a legitimate good team. They beat shitty teams that were eliminated from the playoffs a lot to pad that record, while essentially treading water. That's not a great sign for a coach. 

Him being interested in trading for Deshaun Watson during the off-season was likely detrimental to the teams QB Tua, which is a bad look for any HC. Your GM picked a QB, and while he's not your first choice, you need to support him and work with him. I'm sure the Dolphins wanted him out after that, but probably couldn't cut him due to costs. Cutting him loose with one year left on his deal isn't so bad. 

The lawsuit sounds like sour grapes to me. The racist allegations against the NFL are significant and not without some merit, but the examples he provided don't amount to racism to me. 

great points. It can be too easy to just look at the final record and declare someone a failure or a success. You can be kept on with a losing record as long as the team thinks you overperformed with the players and are headed in the right direction. The opposite can account when you see playoff coaches fired.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Like technically, a GM is the coach's boss, unless we're talking Parcells or Gruden.  I think a couple of recent hires were African American men, under 40.  

yeah, technically.  Owners hire and fire coaches almost all the time.  the same way BMD's hire the coaches at major universities.

we've got to hit a 70% number or pretty close and it needs to be the guy that is raising the Lombardi.

you think Steven A is gonna "naw, we good" if there are 3 black head coaches and 18 black GM's?

37 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Have you been paying attention at all? All the rumored innuendo about Flores being difficult to work with to him wanting DeSean Watson over Tua are in question following the context his allegations give to those rumors.  If the story about him not wanting to meet with that quarterback are true then the entire storyline concerning him wanting Watson over Tua could very well be the exact opposite. And this nonsense about him only beating bad teams is rubbish. This is the NFL there are no gimmies in the league. Buffalo lost to Jacksonville. The Jets beat the Titans and the Bengals this year. Strength of schedule or whatever you're trying to allude to is meaningless when you're talking about the NFL. In addition to that you cant even show me data detailing how his wins are comparatively less impressive than any other team in the NFL over that period time. It's a nonsensical point. Furthermore, if we're to believe Flores, he ostensibly achieved the record you're discrediting against the organization's wishes and attempts to make it even worse. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah, technically.  Owners hire and fire coaches almost all the time.  the same way BMD's hire the coaches at major universities.

we've got to hit a 70% number or pretty close and it needs to be the guy that is raising the Lombardi.

you think Steven A is gonna "naw, we good" if there are 3 black head coaches and 18 black GM's?

I think people will always find a reason to be slighted or feel unhappy.  If there were 32 black head coaches and 32 white gms and 32 white owners, the angry folks will say that the coach is just a middle manager/foreman running the factory.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

I think people will always find a reason to be slighted or feel unhappy.  If there were 32 black head coaches and 32 white gms and 32 white owners, the angry folks will say that the coach is just a middle manager/foreman running the factory.  

nah, the coach is getting paid more than the GM. The coach is getting all the media also if there are 70% black head coaches the odds of one winning the Lombardi go up astronomically from where they are now.

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yes the bengals are cheap.  Marvin Lewis is a good coach, kind of like Jeff Fisher is a good coach.

Your bent against Marvin Lewis is quite odd. He’s not some elite coach, but he was good.

The guy was above .500 in his 16 years there and made the playoffs 7 out of his last 14 years there for one of the cheapest, worst organizations in the NFL. The Bengals had only made the playoffs twice in the 20 years before he got them to the playoffs. 
And it’s not like he had a HOF QB, either. He had Andy fucking Dalton for most of that time. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your bent against Marvin Lewis is quite odd. He’s not some elite coach, but he was good.

The guy was above .500 in his 16 years there and made the playoffs 7 out of his last 14 years there for one of the cheapest, worst organizations in the NFL. The Bengals had only made the playoffs twice in the 20 years before he got them to the playoffs. 
And it’s not like he had a HOF QB, either. He had Andy fucking Dalton for most of that time. 

yes he and Jeff Fisher are good coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

This unserious point always gets made while ignoring the stark examples we have in other leagues that prove it's bs. We don't hear serious complaints about issues like this in the NBA because there is a prevailing sense among all participants that the process for hiring coaches is mostly fair. I'm 45 years old and I  can't remember the fairness of hiring coaches in the NBA ever being an issue among serious people. Conversely in the NFL, a league where many families have held ownership of the teams for multiple decades, not only have issues with hiring minorities been a problem, but it is also a league where nepotism seemingly runs rampant and thus the issue of fairness in the hiring process has always been held in question.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This unserious point always gets made while ignoring the stark examples we have in other leagues that prove it's bs. We don't hear serious complaints about issues like this in the NBA because there is a prevailing sense among all participants that the process for hiring coaches is mostly fair. I'm 45 years old and I  can't remember the fairness of hiring coaches in the NBA ever being an issue among serious people. Conversely in the NFL, a league where many families have held ownership of the teams for multiple decades, not only have issues with hiring minorities been a problem, but it is also a league where nepotism seemingly runs rampant and thus the issue of fairness in the hiring process has always been held in question.  

Depends how you look at it.  There were some murmurs about Steve Nash getting the Nets job w/o experience in coaching.  Of course, it wasn't a big deal for Mark Jackson or Steve Kerr.  There's certainly coach recycling in the NBA. 

Just watching all this unfold: it’s not that crazy to imagine that owners hire black coaches for the purposes of tanking and then fire them? But like others I don’t see many ramifications other than Ross no longer being the owner of the Dolphins. Also, watching Cowherd right now…he sounds drunk.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Depends how you look at it.  There were some murmurs about Steve Nash getting the Nets job w/o experience in coaching.  Of course, it wasn't a big deal for Mark Jackson or Steve Kerr.  There's certainly coach recycling in the NBA. 

Yeah players definitely jump the line ahead of longtime assistants.  In that context fairness could be questioned,  but someone could argue they more than make up for that lack of coaching experience with their playing experience which in the end is just a matter of what one holds in higher value. 

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

And the one talented QB (Carson Palmer) he had in his tenure lost an ACL while throwing an 80 yard TD in the organization's very 1st playoff game in 20+ years and was never the same after that. I wanna say it was the very 1st play of that game too. I would've hated to be a fan of the Bengals at that moment. Pure joy and pure grief all in the same moment. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Just watching all this unfold: it’s not that crazy to imagine that owners hire black coaches for the purposes of tanking and then fire them? But like others I don’t see many ramifications other than Ross no longer being the owner of the Dolphins. Also, watching Cowherd right now…he sounds drunk.

watching Cowherd will numb your brain.  he's an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2021/03/29/black-coaches-giving-nba-mixed-grades-hiring-front/6947526002/

The NBA has empowered its players and coaches by supporting theirdesire to address social injustices. Yet, the NBA has struggled with solving one of its own shortcomings.

“You look at the dichotomy between players, coaches and front office ownership representation. The percentages don’t match,” Denver Nuggets associate head coach Wes Unseld Jr. told USA TODAY Sports. “The NBA is by far more forward thinking, more proactive and more diverse and inclusive than the other sports leagues. But I think it still has a ways to go.”

Among the 30 NBA teams, there are four majority owners that are minorities and four women that have team ownership positions. There are 10 Black general managers, one Latino president of Basketball Operations and one Asian general manager. And there are zero women head coaches, seven Black head coaches and eight women assistant coaches. 

“The only way it changes is if the decision-making field gets more diverse,” Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Darvin Ham told USA TODAY Sports.

Scrutiny has intensified specifically surrounding the number of Black NBA head coaches for reasons beyond more attention this past year on the country’s racial inequalities.

The NBA previously had eight Black head coaches at the beginning of the 2018-19 season and 14 during the 2012-13 season. That hardly matches the Black representation elsewhere. Out of the league's 185 assistant-coaching positions, 85 of the coaches are people of color. Meanwhile, 74.2% of the NBA players are Black.

“These numbers are just disgraceful. It doesn’t make any sense,” National Basketball Players Association executive directorMichele Roberts told USA TODAY Sports. “It’s not as if no one is doing anything at all. It’s not as if teams aren’t uttering the right words. But the players are seeing it. I’m hearing people talk about both publicly and privately that these numbers don’t make sense.”

What will it take for these numbers to improve? What will it take for these numbers to become stable? And what will it take for these numbers to result in better inclusion?

“It’s going to take certainly more than we’re doing now,” NBA CommissionerAdam Silver said recently on a conference call. “We’ve made progress over the years. But we’re constantly looking at how we can do better.”

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Most here hate CC, but I find him to be pretty fair and honest.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2021/03/29/black-coaches-giving-nba-mixed-grades-hiring-front/6947526002/

The NBA has empowered its players and coaches by supporting theirdesire to address social injustices. Yet, the NBA has struggled with solving one of its own shortcomings.

“You look at the dichotomy between players, coaches and front office ownership representation. The percentages don’t match,” Denver Nuggets associate head coach Wes Unseld Jr. told USA TODAY Sports. “The NBA is by far more forward thinking, more proactive and more diverse and inclusive than the other sports leagues. But I think it still has a ways to go.”

Among the 30 NBA teams, there are four majority owners that are minorities and four women that have team ownership positions. There are 10 Black general managers, one Latino president of Basketball Operations and one Asian general manager. And there are zero women head coaches, seven Black head coaches and eight women assistant coaches. 

“The only way it changes is if the decision-making field gets more diverse,” Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Darvin Ham told USA TODAY Sports.

Scrutiny has intensified specifically surrounding the number of Black NBA head coaches for reasons beyond more attention this past year on the country’s racial inequalities.

The NBA previously had eight Black head coaches at the beginning of the 2018-19 season and 14 during the 2012-13 season. That hardly matches the Black representation elsewhere. Out of the league's 185 assistant-coaching positions, 85 of the coaches are people of color. Meanwhile, 74.2% of the NBA players are Black.

“These numbers are just disgraceful. It doesn’t make any sense,” National Basketball Players Association executive directorMichele Roberts told USA TODAY Sports. “It’s not as if no one is doing anything at all. It’s not as if teams aren’t uttering the right words. But the players are seeing it. I’m hearing people talk about both publicly and privately that these numbers don’t make sense.”

What will it take for these numbers to improve? What will it take for these numbers to become stable? And what will it take for these numbers to result in better inclusion?

“It’s going to take certainly more than we’re doing now,” NBA CommissionerAdam Silver said recently on a conference call. “We’ve made progress over the years. But we’re constantly looking at how we can do better.”

Yeah a one off article that touched on everything from ownership to front office personnel doesnt really disprove my point about coaches and the leagues of difference in serious criticism between the 2 sports, but good try though.   

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah a one off article that touched on everything from ownership to front office personnel doesnt really disprove my point about coaches and the leagues of difference in serious criticism between the 2 sports, but good try though.   

A one off article which had quotes from multiple well known people in the NBA and the head of the player's association said this.  People who qualify as "serious people" as you said.  I think that backs up the quote you responded to - that people are just going to be unhappy.  The NBA does a MUCH better job with diversity in its hires.  Is it perfect - no.  But you have the head of the NBAPA calling it disgraceful.

Edited by Don Johnson

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Agree with this 100%. 

There is probably systemic racism in NFL front offices. It sure seems like an old-boy network. 

But forgive me if this has already been stated, but doesn't Flores arguing, "I got fired me cause I wouldn't tank games," undermine his entire racial discrimination case?

TAKE-LOSS-INNA.jpg

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

A one off article which had quotes from multiple well known people in the NBA and the head of the player's association said this.  People who qualify as "serious people" as you said.  I think that backs up the quote you responded to - that people are just going to be unhappy.  The NBA does a MUCH better job with diversity in its hires.  Is it perfect - no.  But you have the head of the NBAPA calling it disgraceful.

That is the one constant in our world.  Somebody going to be pissed about something.  

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

A one off article which had quotes from multiple well known people in the NBA and the head of the player's association said this.  I think that backs up the quote you responded to - that people are just going to be unhappy.  The NBA does a MUCH better job with diversity in its hires.  Is it perfect - no.  But you have the head of the NBAPA calling it disgraceful.

A quote that was made in response to a number of issues beyond just coaching, but if your point is that people need blacks holding every coaching position available to stop complaints so no attempt to fix things is worth it because it's impossible to satisfy their desires then I guess you did it. I mean you have an NBPA director commenting on issues of ownership, GMs, women in positions of power, and a myriad of other issues, but she clearly won't be satisfied until some equivalent of " 32 black head coaches and 32 white gms and 32 white owners" is achieved so the attempt to increase fairness isn't worth it.  

17 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Agree with this 100%. 

There is probably systemic racism in NFL front offices. It sure seems like an old-boy network. 

But forgive me if this has already been stated, but doesn't Flores arguing, "I got fired me cause I wouldn't tank games," undermine his entire racial discrimination case?

TAKE-LOSS-INNA.jpg

I'm sure part of his stance is that if he were a white coach he wouldn't be asked to tank.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

EEEEYYYYYYYAAAANNNDD WERE BACK

YOU KNOW JOY PAYTON MANNING IS JUST LIKE MY 3RD EX WIFE

GOT TO LOVE EM BUT THEY JUST DIDN'T GET YOU THERE

OK HERE'S JOY WITH THE BOOBS

th?id=OIP.EcSyHgvfW_ZioEzWmOz2LQHaJ3%26p

• Hook 'Em 2

Not trying to be flippant, because we've all been there in the corporate/real world. But a pro sports team is not run or judged like a regular business. And your are definitely not promoting the janitor to floor leader just because you liked the way he interviewed. But in the NFL a 'promising' young qb coach can suddenly be put in charge of 53+ men and become the face of your organization.