New law: free access to Nat’l Parks for military vets

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Parks are already too damn crowded but this is good

Hiking "The Narrows" in May felt like going through the tunnel at the Rose Bowl 5 minutes before kickoff.*

*when it's crowded, not at a UCLA game. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Good start.  Need better transition services into civilian life and more robust health care overhaul with a focus on mental health and support.

Free admission to national parks doesn't do anything for veterans or their families.  I imagine they would be fine paying the $40 a year for a park pass in exchange for decent VA treatment and the bolded above.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Free admission to national parks doesn't do anything for veterans or their families.  I imagine they would be fine paying the $40 a year for a park pass in exchange for decent VA treatment and the bolded above.

Well, it encourages their use.  Probably best to think of it as something that could be done in lieu of a higher cost program improvement.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Time in nature has also been shown to be good for one's mental health.  But yes, it's not enough.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Agreed.  It feels pretty lightweight, even if the intentions are good.  I'm not trying to shit on it, but it's not hard to shit on it.  When my kid is in 4th grade, he gets an entire pass for the whole family.

If I read it right, I think the family passes are only for Gold Star families - the rest of us can get just ourselves (but possibly not family members) in with our Vet ID card or DD214 form.  Which means that I will still be buying the normal $80 a year pass, even if I get in free..

I know they had good intention, but I know plenty of vets who could use a lot more than a free park pass.

And a whole shitload of vets probably don't have national parks nearby, but maybe have state parks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Of all the shit we spend money on, as a society; welp, I'm not bitching about this one.

Big fan of Bill Burr too, dude screaming at him probably wasn't even a vet.  My money's on "uncover aggy nazi."

The Va Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond gives free access to active, and retired military, and their family members in attendance for all exhibitions. Just saw Man Ray, and Ansel Adams with the son over Christmas.  It would have been close to $60 for the 3 of us had we paid full cost.  Still dropped some cash in the donation box cause it's such a great museum and they spend their money well. Active military, and vets should see those kinds of perks at the state, and national level.

Vail resorts was selling its EPIC pass to military for $99.  It's now about $200 which is still a big discount.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 6:20 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Agreed.  It feels pretty lightweight, even if the intentions are good.  I'm not trying to shit on it, but it's not hard to shit on it.  When my kid is in 4th grade, he gets an entire pass for the whole family.

If I read it right, I think the family passes are only for Gold Star families - the rest of us can get just ourselves (but possibly not family members) in with our Vet ID card or DD214 form.  Which means that I will still be buying the normal $80 a year pass, even if I get in free..

I know they had good intention, but I know plenty of vets who could use a lot more than a free park pass.

And a whole shitload of vets probably don't have national parks nearby, but maybe have state parks.

About your Military Pass

Overview of the Annual Interagency Military Pass

Overview

• $10 processing fee on USGS Store, Free in person at sites that issue passes
  • Available to Current US Military, Veterans, Dependents and Gold Star families. Documentation is required.
  • Obtained in person at Federal recreation sites that charge entrance or standard amenity fees. Federal Recreation Sites
  • Covers entrance to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and National Park Service sites that charge Entrance Fees, and covers Standard Amenity Fees at Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation sites, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers sites.
  • Admits the pass owners and any accompanying passengers in a private non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas, or the pass owner and up to additional 3 adults at sites that charge per person.
  • Effective January 1, 2021 only one person may sign the Interagency Military Pass. The USGS Store will print your name on your pass. Current Military dependents may obtain their own pass after showing proper documentation (DD 1173).

You're right , doesn't cover state parks but does cover plenty of others. If you are into boating and the Army Corps Of Engineer lakes and fees. Go to the USGS site and it lists all of the areas covered.

• Like 1