Have you contracted Covid-19 (Jan'22 Omicron Edition)

0xdeadbeef

Have you contracted Covid-19 (Jan'22 Omicron Edition)  

166 members have voted

1. 1. It's mid-January 2022 and all the cool kids are getting Covid-19.

• Yes, I've had it.
    • No, not that I know of.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/25/22 at 08:35 AM

16 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

They were sick at the party (or just simple deduction due to no vax/mask) ?

Fever, stress, low pulse ox, ALL combined or even by themselves will elevate your heart rate. Lots of cold/flu meds too. 

Yes I should have noted that we didn’t see anyone outwardly sick at the party, who knows where it came from…my flip attitude stems from past encounters with those folks, before vaccines were available, who mocked those of us taking basic precautions in 2020.  The group exposure, timeline lines up but who really knows.  

Slept about 10 hours last night and feel back to normal outside occasional cough, HR included   

• Hook 'Em 1

I started getting sick the evening of January 1st (what a way to start the year). By the next afternoon, I had an unbelievable headache and a fever. Honestly assumed it was due to weather change. Those symptoms only lasted a few days but severe cough and chest congestion kicked in. Tested positive the following Weds. 

Have been home and pretty much in bed since January 2nd. Have to admit, Covid has kicked my ass but getting better. Terrible cough and fatigue. Walking up stairs is pretty tiring. If I'm lying down, I'm okay. But going to the bathroom or taking a shower is pretty exhausting. Personally, I don't think it's as bad as dengue fever but a pretty solid second. Dengue fever lasted right at two weeks but much more consistent fever. 

On a sidenote, I am triple vaxxed and had the booster December 2nd. Remarkably, my wife slept next to me up until January 2nd and never got it. Also, we spent the end of 2021 with my folks - dinner twice and watched a movie together - and they didn't get it either. Brother came over to work on my computer on the 31st. He's negative. 

Such a bizarre virus. My vaccine wasn't 100% effective but everyone around me was. 

Edited by Sweetnsourpoke
  • Fuck You 1

Wife (no pics) and our youngest (almost 3yo) both tested positive this weekend.  Gotta test the older one later today when she'll finally let us shove that giant q-tip into her skull.  By our count, the little one contracted it at preschool on 11 January and began symptoms on 14 January and was mildly sick for the better part of these last 10 days. 

Wife has experienced symptoms since MLK day but tested negative earlier this week but it was an immediate, bright line on the test kit for her yesterday morning.  Youngest's line barely showed up today, but I'm guessing that's normal/indicative of her almost being over it?  

Checking in (I think). Yet to get tested but woke up Sunday with one of the worst stomach pains I’ve had. Wife had body aches. We both had chills. Kids fine so far. About halfway through the day my stomach was better but I got a massive headache that lasted until I woke up this morning. I had a lot of night sweat last night. Woke up this morning feeling about 90% better with just a small headache lingering  

We are both 2x Pfizer with Moderna boosters so our short duration sounds similar to what others are seeing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Finally able to send the kids back to school today.  They missed two weeks.  I probably could've sent them back sooner but they kept getting fevers last week.  Nothing crazy like 100 or 101.  School said they have to be 24 hours fever free before returning.  Oh well.

I was sick but never terrible worst day I was probably 60% of normal.  My wife had a drive through Covid test 11 days ago and still hasnt gotten the result back.  She's been back at work for a week.

Glad its over, for now.

So, wife and I were in Vegas week before last and everything was fine.  The day we come home she starts feeling bad.  Get home and we instantly isolate ourselves from the kids.  Next day I have a fever, and we go and get tested.  Both of us positive.  It wasn't all that bad, it just won't go away.  She is about 100% now, and I am about 90% this morning.  But it came in waves for me.  Fever would go away but I was so exhausted, nagging cough etc.  Today I finally feel more myself, brain cloud is lifting.  Technically out of the quarantine period, but still playing it safe.

Any of y'all with 2xVaxx/Boosters...that have/had Omicron....have usual cough/runny nose/headache/fatigue/hot & cold spells...but also an intense feeling of needing to vomit for 24 hours?  And having done vomited several times to the point of pure liquid and no appetite?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Any of y'all with 2xVaxx/Boosters...that have/had Omicron....have usual cough/runny nose/headache/fatigue/hot & cold spells...but also an intense feeling of needing to vomit for 24 hours?  And having done vomited several times to the point of pure liquid and no appetite?  

EAF4FF18-BAED-4B23-9F7B-C6AF1916A32E.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Maybe it's something else or in addition to COVID.  I've heard of some folks testing positive for both COVID and the flu.  I haven't heard of that kind of nausea being associated with Omicron.

Yeah, me neither.  I'm waiting on a PCR test coming tomorrow (home test kits we have were all over the place with wife and kids so not terribly trusting in that---but she and the youngest confirmed it with better tests).  Little one looks like she's done with it, wife still experiencing mild symptoms.  Oldest popped 3x negative over the last week.  I've got most of the usual symptoms.  The weird one, the one that has be actually worried, is I projectile vomited several times yesterday and still feel the need to do it today.  Can barely hold down water.  And the reflux caused me to only sleep about 3 hours last night.  I feel like if I could get a good night's sleep, I could be over this little hump.  But I did not expect to be pulling a "Exorcist" vomit fest all day yesterday and this morning.  

I didn't really even give the Covfluenza (or whatever) much thought because I had no fever or diarrhea.  But I guess I should take that into account now.  Anyway, not too worried but haven't gotten to eat anything in 48 hours and that's starting to suck.  Sounds like most folks are having 2-3 days of shit with this variant but then bouncing back nicely.  i can certainly deal with that, but my issue is I very rarely get the flu...only a handful of times in 45 years.  But when I do, it lingers for 7-10 days.  I guess I'll be ready for bikini season at least. 

I'm still managing to somehow dodge this. 

Girlfriend's daughter (vaccinated but not boosted) tested positive last Monday, though I hadn't been around her in the few days before that test and since.  But the girlfriend (vaccinated and boosted) and I were together on Thursday night for War on Drugs at Moody Theater.  We wore masks in the theater, but were together unmasked in the car to and from the show.  Girlfriend starts having the usual Omicron symptoms on Friday morning -- slight fever, cough, and fatigue.  She's back to 85-90% by Saturday evening, though with a lingering cough that comes out at night.  She tested at-home on Friday afternoon and was negative, but she's pretty sure she has it.  I've been maintaining all my supplements -- Vitamins C & D, elderberry, zinc, lysine, etc. -- and have felt fine.

Again, maybe I already got the Omicron and was asymptomatic.  Or maybe my immune system is bringing the Big Dick Energy against COVID.  Or maybe it's just a matter of time.

Well thanks, sorry about all my comments about your mom.  I guess it could just be something else i have in addition to Covid-19.  Just seeing if anybody else experienced anything like this since most of you degenerates and I have more in common than  we'd like to admit.  I just don't want to take up any space in a hospital because I've emptied my body of bile when they need those beds for more serious cases.  I can take it, folks have dealt with much worse with this pandemic.  It's just that after 48+ hours of not being able to hold down water, that's gonna start to be a real big problem aside from Covid.  There's some stories like it over the broader web with Omicron and dangerous levels of vomiting but not many, and they're all older folks that sound much heavier than me.  

I guess I need to figure out a strategery for Covid/Flu combo.  But I'm actually running in the mid 97's for temp and no bowel issues.  Weirdest flu ever?  

Okay, end rant.  Back to bed. 

Well thanks, sorry about all my comments about your mom.  I guess it could just be something else i have in addition to Covid-19.  Just seeing if anybody else experienced anything like this since most of you degenerates and I have more in common than  we'd like to admit.  I just don't want to take up any space in a hospital because I've emptied my body of bile when they need those beds for more serious cases.  I can take it, folks have dealt with much worse with this pandemic.  It's just that after 48+ hours of not being able to hold down water, that's gonna start to be a real big problem aside from Covid.  There's some stories like it over the broader web with Omicron and dangerous levels of vomiting but not many, and they're all older folks that sound much heavier than me.  
I guess I need to figure out a strategery for Covid/Flu combo.  But I'm actually running in the mid 97's for temp and no bowel issues.  Weirdest flu ever?  
Okay, end rant.  Back to bed. 
There's a version of phenergan that you can rub in your wrist. Maybe see if your doc will prescribe. Worked well for my wife post chemo.

Also, with the flu -- and I mean the real influenza, and not some stomach bug or other virus that people incorrectly label as "flu" -- I've never had nausea or GI issues.  I've been so debilitated that I have no appetite, but I can keep down Gatorade and some chicken soup without vomiting or shitting myself.  Lobo, can you at least keep down a sports drink for electrolytes and hydration?

Nope, everything I drank yesterday came up violently and in a hurry.   Even water, with some bile mixed in for flavor.  I've kept down a couple glasses of water this morning but it's already feeling like it's coming back up.  Coming up on 48 hours without food, which is fine.  But getting close to that same amount of time without liquids staying in my body.  Obviously that's not a sustainable business model.  At this point, a stomach bug or food poisoning would be out of my system, but I have a somewhat concerning dehydration set of symptoms kicking in and as we know, if this keeps up for 3+ days, it's serious.  And I don't want to take up a doctor appt or hospital bed for somebody struggling to breathe.  I'm getting oxygen just fine.  Thank the Lord, blood oxygen levels and all that other stuff reads fine.  

I'm gonna call in about phenergan thanks to dcbc.  It reads like something that could help me.  I just hope I don't look like a dick asking for something they only give to chemo patients.  

Y'all stay safe.  Don't get whatever weird strain of shit I got going on right now.  It's weird to be craving a huge meal, be shitting like you're just eaten a huge meal, but looking at your fingernail beds and lips and noticing they're already shriveling up and you can smell the bile in your sinus cavity.  

Good times, good times.  Started "Ted Lasso" at 2am, so that's been a pleasant treat. 

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm gonna call in about phenergan thanks to dcbc.  It reads like something that could help me.  I just hope I don't look like a dick asking for something they only give to chemo patients.  

We've gotten them to call it in post surgery for my wife as well.  Speaking of which, there's also a patch that you can put behind your ear, but we've found the salves that you rub on your wrist to be more effective and faster acting.  It's not cheap, but it works.  Also, in bad nausea situations, the over the counter Emetrol or generic substitute isn't terrible.  But you have to drink it, which is what I know you'd like to avoid.

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

We've gotten them to call it in post surgery for my wife as well.  Speaking of which, there's also a patch that you can put behind your ear, but we've found the salves that you rub on your wrist to be more effective and faster acting.  It's not cheap, but it works.  Also, in bad nausea situations, the over the counter Emetrol or generic substitute isn't terrible.  But you have to drink it, which is what I know you'd like to avoid.

yeah, the patch things sounds like a good bet.  If it kicks in, then I can have a rehydrating beverage after that.  Thanks again.  I may try the save balm too, if I can't hold down water later today, but the last balm I got from a Maestro was very unpredictable.  I don't even know what a balm is, and I'll never hear the end of it from my attorney, Jackie Chiles.  

I hope your wife is in total remission by now?  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

yeah, the patch things sounds like a good bet.  If it kicks in, then I can have a rehydrating beverage after that.  Thanks again.  I may try the save balm too, if I can't hold down water later today, but the last balm I got from a Maestro was very unpredictable.  I don't even know what a balm is, and I'll never hear the end of it from my attorney, Jackie Chiles.  

I hope your wife is in total remission by now?  

My pharmacist is a guy named Bob Sacamano.

They give you the patch at the hospital if you tell them you have a tough time coming out of anesthesia, which she does.  So that may not be something you can get to apply at home.  But I don't know.  The salves come in a package of many and are something we'd use when the nausea struck.  It worked well and didn't knock you out like oral phenergan tends to do.

Thanks for the kind words.  She just passed the 7 year mark from her being pronounced "cancer free," and it is our sincere hope that she stays that way.  Suffice it to say that we've had all the necessary procedures to remove all hormone producing entities and hormone receiving entities.  Scorched earth, with her family history, was the way to go.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

Glad to hear that about her.  I know we will have the same challenges with my wife one day, given her family history.  My mother went through it as well, which means I worry for my daughters one day as well.  And sadly, I'll probably be long gone by then (we're on the older side of parenting).  And my story to them will be, "Hey, one time I needed some salves for nausea...is that anything?"  And then I'll look in her eyes and God will let me know what strength really looks like.

All that to say, will somebody drop me off some Waffle House later today?  ;) 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

MIL (70+) tested positive last Wednesday night.  She couldn't keep anything down (similar to what you described) while resting at home.  By Friday afternoon she got up to try to go to the bathroom and proceeded to fall / pass out three times over the span of about 4 or 5 hours.  My FIL (also 70+) ended up calling 911 who sent an ambulance to take her to the hospital.  She was severely dehydrated and they kept her overnight to re-hydrate.  She went home Saturday night and is feeling much better now.  She is vaxxed but not boosted, while FIL is vaxxed and boosted.  He hasn't shown symptoms or tested positive.

Make sure you and your girls are staying hydrated.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:49 PM, Homercles said:

Pretty sure, based on the gaggle of middle aged dudes laughing into their beer bottles and 96oz Longhorns Yeti’s I saw walking by the tailgate at the OkState game this year…I’m well within a sigma of the circumference mean around here.  I shoulda stopped and regret not doing it, was nervous as hell about the game and not sure how I’d explain it all to my wife all “I’m from the internet and I’m here to drink, find some naoch and fuck South Austin’s mom”

One last side note on Covid…my heart rate has def been elevated since the day before it kicked off.  Took my Fitbit off as I was tired of it harping on me.  Curious if anyone else noticed that. 

I just checked mine.  Average low rate went from 50-70 on Saturday.

Also I'm virtually certain I caught the Flurona because I was on prednisone for my shoulder.  Wasn't really around anyone without the wife with me and she hasn't caught anything.

Edited by DDD Dad

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Glad to hear that about her.  I know we will have the same challenges with my wife one day, given her family history.  My mother went through it as well, which means I worry for my daughters one day as well.  And sadly, I'll probably be long gone by then (we're on the older side of parenting).  And my story to them will be, "Hey, one time I needed some salves for nausea...is that anything?"  And then I'll look in her eyes and God will let me know what strength really looks like.

All that to say, will somebody drop me off some Waffle House later today?  ;) 

Thanks.  With cancer, I've decided it always would be better to get it two years after you actually get it because by then, everything will have changed with how it's treated.  We were lucky and caught it early, but she dealt with infections post surgery for nearly a year, which was no picnic. 

"Water first, then waffles."

-Ojibwe saying

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm still managing to somehow dodge this. 

Girlfriend's daughter (vaccinated but not boosted) tested positive last Monday, though I hadn't been around her in the few days before that test and since.  But the girlfriend (vaccinated and boosted) and I were together on Thursday night for War on Drugs at Moody Theater.  We wore masks in the theater, but were together unmasked in the car to and from the show.  Girlfriend starts having the usual Omicron symptoms on Friday morning -- slight fever, cough, and fatigue.  She's back to 85-90% by Saturday evening, though with a lingering cough that comes out at night.  She tested at-home on Friday afternoon and was negative, but she's pretty sure she has it.  I've been maintaining all my supplements -- Vitamins C & D, elderberry, zinc, lysine, etc. -- and have felt fine.

Again, maybe I already got the Omicron and was asymptomatic.  Or maybe my immune system is bringing the Big Dick Energy against COVID.  Or maybe it's just a matter of time.

It's weird.

Wife had all the Omi' symptoms before me:  fatigue, back pains, cough, overall malaise, runny nose.  Then I popped hot via a test provided by work.  Both my son and I.  Wife went to doc to test.  Nothing.  Even had blood drawn later and zero antibodies while we had the exact same symptoms a week a part?   

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

It's weird.

Wife had all the Omi' symptoms before me:  fatigue, back pains, cough, overall malaise, runny nose.  Then I popped hot via a test provided by work.  Both my son and I.  Wife went to doc to test.  Nothing.  Even had blood drawn later and zero antibodies while we had the exact same symptoms a week a part?   

I assume you meant zero infection antibodies, right?  Shirley you'd have antibodies from the vaccine, no?

took about 5-6 days to be back to 100%, but everything was mild even at that.  cough on last Mon.  thought i had sinus inf and home tested + on Tuesday.  Wed and Thursday had the covid fog and still stuffy nose.  Friday fog was gone and cough was gone.  Sat/Sun felt pretty good and tested negative on Sunday.

A neighbor brought his daughter around the neighborhood door-to-door selling girl scout cookies this weekend, knowing she had an active Covid infection.  We discussed how bad her allergies seemed to be on my porch while I bought a bunch of fucking cookies.   Just counting the minutes till the symptoms kick in at this point. Also spending some quality time devising a plan for how to make the dad suffer interminably.

48 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

A neighbor brought his daughter around the neighborhood door-to-door selling girl scout cookies this weekend, knowing she had an active Covid infection.  We discussed how bad her allergies seemed to be on my porch while I bought a bunch of fucking cookies.   Just counting the minutes till the symptoms kick in at this point. Also spending some quality time devising a plan for how to make the dad suffer interminably.

seriously?

57 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

But those Thin Mints, tho.

3 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Seriously.    I think it may be the dumbest fucking thing of all the dumb fucking things I've heard of someone doing during this pandemic, and I was there to see it first hand.

So he told you she was infected?  Or did he lie and say it was allergies?

Also, if she had the lemon cookies, those are bomb.

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

So he told you she was infected?  Or did he lie and say it was allergies?

Also, if she had the lemon cookies, those are bomb.

I'm having one of the lemons cookies right now.  The bomb, indeed.

He didn't lie, per se, but didn't correct me when I brought up how bad her allergies seemed.  He told a mutual friend about the Covid, which is how I found out. 

• Rage+1 1

One positive - I woke up this morning and felt like my entire sinuses had drained overnight for the first time in forever. My head was clearer than I can ever remember as someone who suffers from almost constant allergies. It was amazing after I hocked all the shit out of my throat 

Wife tested positive Friday and was super shitty that night and Saturday. Fever, aches, coughing. Sunday was better and today is also an improvement. Looks like she finally broke the fever but now has a bad headache and still a nasty cough, though not as frequent. 

I started running a fever last night, woke up with body aches and a lot of congestion. Went to get tested but the test site no longer has the “good” tests, now it’s just an in home test that you do yourself and then they do the antigen part for you. Nowhere near as deep in your head (I tested Friday with the brain tickler and was negative). My test came back negative even though I feel like hammered ass and have most of the same symptoms as my wife. Is it pretty common to have multiple (presumed) false negatives?  Just doesn’t seem possible to have something other than Covid right after she got it that presents identically.  

What a weird fucking variant this is.  Thankful it is much less harmful.  Knocked my wife on her ass for over a week, she's a fucking trooper so only about 48 hours of that was she out of her usual routine.  Our almost 3yo still has lingering cough, but just that and a runny nose so typical preschool shit. 

Mine was 48 hours of projectile vomiting every sip of water I took which was a lot of fun.  Dehyrdated the fuck out of me.  Cough, chills, body aches, and fatigue were very, very real for a full week but went about my business-job, yardwork (pruned the hell out of the backyard), cocktails, playtime with the kids.  I'm now 95% convinced, I had a flu bug layered on top of it even though I had no fever or diarrhea.  NO trouble breathing at any point, but I'd hate to see what the serious, unvacc'd version of that thing looks like.  Still, I was pretty scared the first 48 hours but only because I couldn't keep water in my body, on the 3rd day some weird shit starting happening to me---it's the longest I'd ever gone without water---but that wasn't so much Covid as a cocktail of other shit going wrong with me.  

Remind me to get the next variant NOT during cold 'n flu season.  K thx, bai.  

On 1/24/2022 at 9:58 AM, Lobo said:

Nope, everything I drank yesterday came up violently and in a hurry.   Even water, with some bile mixed in for flavor.  I've kept down a couple glasses of water this morning but it's already feeling like it's coming back up.  Coming up on 48 hours without food, which is fine.  But getting close to that same amount of time without liquids staying in my body.  Obviously that's not a sustainable business model.  At this point, a stomach bug or food poisoning would be out of my system, but I have a somewhat concerning dehydration set of symptoms kicking in and as we know, if this keeps up for 3+ days, it's serious.  And I don't want to take up a doctor appt or hospital bed for somebody struggling to breathe.  I'm getting oxygen just fine.  Thank the Lord, blood oxygen levels and all that other stuff reads fine.  

Y'all stay safe.  Don't get whatever weird strain of shit I got going on right now.  It's weird to be craving a huge meal, be shitting like you're just eaten a huge meal, but looking at your fingernail beds and lips and noticing they're already shriveling up and you can smell the bile in your sinus cavity.  

Good times, good times.  Started "Ted Lasso" at 2am, so that's been a pleasant treat. 

Had this late last year after a trip to Miami. Lasted almost 10 days.  Doc never figured it out.   I got so fucking dehydrated I was starting to really worry, weak, lost 22# in the first 5-6 days. 

Eta: middle child caught it Thursday, and has been better yesterday, back to normal today.

Youngest child caught it Saturday, and is still recovering.  Nothing terrible, but she's hurting.

Wife also caught it Saturday (2x vaxxed), and it has demo'd her.  Hoping she can get better asap because I'm not great at caregiving.  I don't mind it, I just suck.  Of course work is busier than ever, fuck. 

Edited by fattyflattie

I asked on the stats thread, but interested in any other "scientific" takes now that last week has passed.  

My antigen/PCR/rapid tests came back over the weekend.  The clinics where they do the long swab, then the finger prick, then the short swab.  

Been there a few times over the last 18 months after close contact reports and all that.  I can read the Antigen and PCR just fine obviously.  But this is my question:

my IgM was always Negative on all tests, but my IgG went from Negative in previous tests to Positive now.  I know I'm not asking correctly, but what exactly causes that flip in terms of timeframe?  Doesn't quite match up with the timeframe we figured in our family, but what the hell do we know after this long?  I'm fully vacc'd (March) and boosted (November).  Thanks 

Edited by Lobo