2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

37 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

They are about to talk about the Lsdy Horns on ESPN2….

Horns Up for ESPN giving legit coverage to the sport. An hour show the night before the champ series.  

Can we get similar for NCAA Volleyball at a minimum? WBB gets a lot of coverage, but in NCAA, those are the top 3

Texas alumni would be all over an NCAA Volleyball type postseason show in December

6 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

One of the hosts stated that she did not see Texas beating ou two times…ou is just too good.  Thanks.

I mean they haven’t lost twice to anyone. Or twice in a row, period. 

Neither had Arky. So…

• Like 1

"Jocelyn Alo's college career will end against Mike White, the coach who took away a scholarship offer from her"

It's okay. Alo doesn't really remember or care or anything.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/ou/jocelyn-alos-college-career-will-end-against-mike-white-the-coach-who-took-away-a/article_098eae7a-e68d-11ec-8fcc-8faa2d1dc51f.html

10 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

One of the hosts stated that she did not see Texas beating ou two times…ou is just too good.  Thanks.

All I am certain about on this series is that Texas is playing with house money. There is more pressure on OU to close the deal on their crazy good season. If, and I know it's a big if, but IF Texas can win game one, the pressure on OU will magnify 100 fold.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, quigley said:

"Jocelyn Alo's college career will end against Mike White, the coach who took away a scholarship offer from her"

It's okay. Alo doesn't really remember or care or anything.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/ou/jocelyn-alos-college-career-will-end-against-mike-white-the-coach-who-took-away-a/article_098eae7a-e68d-11ec-8fcc-8faa2d1dc51f.html

Unfortunately it was the reality of recruiting kids in eight grade and forcing them into decisions so fast.  Mike holds no ill will towards Alo and said she’s a great ambassador to the sport and exciting to watch 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Unfortunately it was the reality of recruiting kids in eight grade and forcing them into decisions so fast.  Mike holds no ill will towards Alo and said she’s a great ambassador to the sport and exciting to watch 

Just curious, is there such a thing as a late bloomer in this sport?  Do they all end up at lower level schools or do girls get trap-doored at the big schools like boys do in football?

Mike’s explanation of this, in the PC above, was that by the time alo decommitted from cal and called him up, Oregon was down to looking for a catcher. And since she wasn’t catching (anymore?) they wouldn’t take her. He also said it was a mistake, but things happen for a reason and she ended up where she was supposed to be. 

media is really working to make angles for this matchup, between asking about this and then asking about the rivalry. I bet they didn’t get the answer they expected from Mary and Haley. 

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Just curious, is there such a thing as a late bloomer in this sport?  Do they all end up at lower level schools or do girls get trap-doored at the big schools like boys do in football?

Absolutely, kids develop at different rates. However, there are far less "late bloomers" than there are kids who peak early. That is the problem with early recruiting. Coaches become enamored with the 5'8" 10 year old who is 5" taller and far more developed than her peers. What they fail to realize is, that she may have "peaked" and at 17-18 years old she is a 5'9" mediocre player.

Prime example, is Lexi Kilfoyl, formerly of Alabama. I saw that kid in a 12u tournament years ago, and I thought she was the next big thing. She was about 5'9" and 150 lbs at that age, and she was dominant in the circle and at the plate. She went on to be a good player and is now in the portal, but she was never as good as I thought she would be. It takes a special kid to continue to work hard, when you hit the gene lottery at birth. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Mike’s explanation of this, in the PC above, was that by the time alo decommitted from cal and called him up, Oregon was down to looking for a catcher. And since she wasn’t catching (anymore?) they wouldn’t take her. He also said it was a mistake, but things happen for a reason and she ended up where she was supposed to be. 

media is really working to make angles for this matchup, between asking about this and then asking about the rivalry. I bet they didn’t get the answer they expected from Mary and Haley. 

I guess they can’t keep asking us how it feels to get this far and just get shit blasted by OU 

Loved Mary’s DGAF answer about the rivalry. She’s from California and transferred here, it’s ok not to care. Also HD’s response “ you have to beat them to call it a rivalry” 

Harsh but true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I guess they can’t keep asking us how it feels to get this far and just get shit blasted by OU 

Loved Mary’s DGAF answer about the rivalry. She’s from California and transferred here, it’s ok not to care. Also HD’s response “ you have to beat them to call it a rivalry” 

Harsh but true. 

LOL...something tells me Mary has a DGAF attitude about a lot of things.

Edited by FloridaHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Morgan Day, one of OSU's pitchers, has talked quite a bit about being a late bloomer, which is more rare for girls than boys.  She therefore ended up at a smaller school, and transferred to OSU for her last year.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Not the point.

It seems that Alo remembers.

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

All I am certain about on this series is that Texas is playing with house money. There is more pressure on OU to close the deal on their crazy good season. If, and I know it's a big if, but IF Texas can win game one, the pressure on OU will magnify 100 fold.

FSU did just that last year, beating OU in the first game 8-4. OU came back and won games 2 and 3 of course.

Record is 0 - 0. It'll be fun!

4 minutes ago, quigley said:

Not the point.

It seems that Alo remembers.

K.

Why does OU need to manufacture motivation/why go along with a media crafted thing? You’re the best team ever, with the GOAT HR hitter, go out and prove it instead of posting about some weird non-issue in recruiting from years ago.

Alo has the titles and the accolades, and Mike doesn’t, so move on. it’s not the first or last time a coach made a recruiting mistake. (Mack says hi to RG3 and Johnny Manziel)

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Js1 said:

K.

Why does OU need to manufacture motivation/why go along with a media crafted thing? You’re the best team ever, with the GOAT HR hitter, go out and prove it instead of posting about some weird non-issue in recruiting from years ago.

Alo has the titles and the accolades, and Mike doesn’t, so move on. it’s not the first or last time a coach made a recruiting mistake. (Mack says hi to RG3 and Johnny Manziel)

You could field a National Championship team of kids that were slighted on the recruiting trail.

• Like 2

I thought the team was going to implode after Clearwater. There was obviously something going on internally with them that they were carrying into games. Poor defense is a result of poor concentration and effort. Texas was suffering from both. There was talk on this very board that Mike White was in trouble. Somehow, this team rallied around him and each other, and they are now maybe the most cohesive group in the country. I have never witnessed a turnaround like this, at this level, late in the season. Win or lose over the next few days, I will always remember 2022.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

speaking of Luna, it would probably be nice if we honored her at some point.  maybe they did and I missed it.  she's not Cat but she was a 3 time First team all conference player and damn if she didn't drag Connie's helpless ass to the CWS only to be done in by the normal crappy Connie era hitting.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Vegas certainly doesn't think much of our chances

IMG_3906.jpeg.e63b4880c2a8c0666ab551123328b66e.jpeg

They’re not supposed to think much. #1 versus unseeded. It’s us against the world/all the odds. Just like almost every other game in OKC so far 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

If I'm the Texas brain trust, I'm doing my best to make someone besides Alo the hero for OU. I realize just putting her on ("intentionally" or not) brings serious risk as well, but that's a chance I'm probably willing to take. 

Dolcini seems to have the best control of the three amigos.  I let her pitch to Alo but with a plan to keep the ball up and in.  The other two, I just flat walk her.