winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I generally just want to punch Jason Segal for some reason, this show included. 

I was done with that motherfucker.

Just fire his ass.

So ready for Riley.  Which is funny because I never really liked him until the Miami situation.

I feel like what West really had a problem with was when they showed his wife and hinted at him not being able to stay away from basketball because he didnt want to be home. They have not gone back to that well.

Also the character has softened over the course of the series. His first appearance being the hilarious golf scene 

19 hours ago, Mittens said:

I caught the whole interview and he said the ratings have improved a lot but a lot of people just didn’t realize it’s back because of the strike and no promotion. He also said it’s extremely expensive and time consuming to shoot. A 90 second scene can take 8 or 9 hours and the basketball scenes especially are costly. 

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

you'd think she'd just say "my dad", but whatevs.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

He made everyone else call him Dr. Buss, probably made her too.

He was pretty proud of getting a Masters and a PhD from USC in chemistry by the time he was 24, and made sure everybody knew it, because he considered a measurement of how far he had come from his roots.  I can't say I blame him too much, especially later in life when he was moving around a lot of people who he thought were lazy/entitled/inherited their wealth.

On 9/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I saw this comment and it sums it up:

The funny thing about #WinningTime series is that, every episode seems like the best one yet until the next episode is released and then that new one is the best one yet

Very true. That back and forth at the end with "Beat LA" and "Fuck Boston" was a great capstone to this one.

• Like 1

Just watched it. Loved it.  That is just great storytelling when it's something we( most of us) already know, but it's almost better this time.

Loved the closing scene, as I was LOLing at the TV.

Just one question:  Who the fuck is playing James Worthy?

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

Just one question:  Who the fuck is playing James Worthy?

Guessing he wasn't casted.  They made mention of his injury just before the 1984 playoffs, so we won't see him in any of the live play scenes.  There was no actor listed cast as James Worthy on the full IMDB cast list for Ep 2-7.

They should get an award for the cinematography/VFX/editing for the scene where they keep cutting back and forth between LA and Boston in the playoff games. It's not that it's hard to do that kind of stuff (although Winning Time took it to another level), it's that it was done so incredibly well, and was an exciting little moment.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They should get an award for the cinematography/VFX/editing for the scene where they keep cutting back and forth between LA and Boston in the playoff games. It's not that it's hard to do that kind of stuff (although Winning Time took it to another level), it's that it was done so incredibly well, and was an exciting little moment.

That was amazing. I almost rewound that part just to watch it again.

26 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It's kind of interesting that they are having the season culminate with the '84 Finals, given the outcome.

But I'm also assuming that almost certainly means more seasons of the show, which I'm 100% in favor of.

I’ve no doubt they decided to end the season with the 84 finals to set up season 3, but that’s not really up to them, sadly. That’s up to HBO

51 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

It's kind of interesting that they are having the season culminate with the '84 Finals, given the outcome.

But I'm also assuming that almost certainly means more seasons of the show, which I'm 100% in favor of.

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’ve no doubt they decided to end the season with the 84 finals to set up season 3, but that’s not really up to them, sadly. That’s up to HBO

If I had to guess, they were originally given an order for two full seasons, and given how the hype was built up on in the first season and early second season, they had to get the 84 finals in there, with the potential being that people would love the show and it would continue on past two seasons.

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If I had to guess, they were originally given an order for two full seasons, and given how the hype was built up on in the first season and early second season, they had to get the 84 finals in there, with the potential being that people would love the show and it would continue on past two seasons.

I don't think it was originally two seasons.... IIRC they didn't announce season 2 was a thing until about halfway through season 1.

Anecdotally it seems like the show is a big hit so I'll be very surprised if they don't go ahead with season 3.  The question will be how many more seasons/how much ground to cover? I know the show started with the HIV announcement, so it would make sense for that to be the bookend, but will that happen at the end of season 3? Season 4?

They could go a couple of different ways... season 3 could just cover the '85 season... or maybe '85-87 to see the Showtime at its pinnacle and then season 4 could be the final season, showing the "decline" from '88-91 or so and the HIV announcement but could then end on a positive with some Dream Team stuff? That would be cool.

7 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

so and the HIV announcement but could then end on a positive with some Dream Team stuff? That would be cool.

That would round it out with Johnson and Bird being really good friends (Bird was one of the first people Johnson told about his HIV).  Would be a great story arc to start with them in college, through the NBA and then ending the series there.