Texas vs. tech - 11:30am on ABC

Pancho

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I'm afraid we're heading for a 7, 8, or 9 seed and a very losable first round game.

On a good night, we can play with anyone in the tourney.  On a bad night, we can lose to anyone in the tourney.  There's just no telling what we're gonna get from these guys.

There's no way y'all drop below 5 unless you find a way to lose most of your remaining games, which I don't see happening.

Just now, Helobious said:

Didn’t watch game but seeing some videos on Instagram. Why was seemingly the whole arena doing a “de-fense” chant on Texas’ last possession?

Because the crowd had massively thinned out leaving mostly Tech fans in the stands.

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm afraid we're heading for a 7, 8, or 9 seed and a very losable first round game.

On a good night, we can play with anyone in the tourney.  On a bad night, we can lose to anyone in the tourney.  There's just no telling what we're gonna get from these guys.

I think it would be hard for us to drop that far. We would need to really tank for that to happen.

7 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

What do we have to gain by continuing to play Tech? After this shit they pulled I’d much rather them fade into obscurity.

Others on this Board have mentioned this possible deal.  I don’t like the idea either, if it’s true.

Edited by Horn80

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

People who say the effort wasn't the problem: did you see the rebounding efforts and passing up open looks? Just being physically violent without the mind being in control is not the effort you need to win ball games.

Bishop seems like he gives af but he had 3-4 Tech players in the paint with him. Effort wasn’t an issue imho. We’re just small and unathletic. Honestly If Beard can get us to play solid defense with these guys, I’m pretty excited to see what he can do with actually big athletes 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Others on this Board have mentioned this deal.  I don’t like the idea either, if it’s true.

This is what low key annoys me about Belmont. We try way to hard to appease these twats and still get treated like the “bad guys”. Fuck them! Let them find their way in the Big 12 lite.

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Some of you seem remarkably surprised by how many Tech fans there were, and I simply don't understand it. Maybe I read too much? I don't know. We've known for several months it was going to be like this. A Tech fan found a link to the general admission tickets, posted it, and overnight they were gone. I don't know if Texas actually shut down the ability to purchase them at some point, but regardless, many of them landed in the hands of Tech fans without a doubt.

However, those were all upper deck tickets.

The lower bowl tickets represent the same problem they've represented for nearly 40 years. It's the exact same dynamic. 

Back in the 80s when Deloss Dodds first arrived at Texas every program was responsible for their own fundraising. It was a patchwork effort with no direction. Deloss Dodds founded the Longhorn Foundation and dictated that one donation to the Foundation allowed the donor access to premium seats based on that donation amount. Which frankly was a boon to the athletic department as a whole, and the right way to go...except for men's basketball tickets.

When the suites and club seating were installed, part of the strategy for maximizing revenue became soliciting donations to various companies and organizations around town as the professional team of the city. They were marketed to bring clients/employees/whathaveyou to UT games as an event, with the football games being centerpieces. The basketball season tickets then tended to be sold as almost an afterthought, because after the huge donation necessary to get the premium seating for football, picking up the basketball season tickets with the same level of privilege was a toss in.

It's why when you go to the FEC on a regular basis the lower bowl is so often empty. The purchase of those tickets didn't mean anything, so they're really only filled for big games. It's also why even when the seats are filled, so many of them are filled by different people for each game. It's not a family or individual. It's a company or organization that got the basketball tickets as a throw in for the football donation.

When lower bowl tickets can be sold for a premium price like these Texas Tech tickets, they're going to get sold. It's seen as getting some money back. It has always been like this.

The solution has always been the same thing. Make more lower bowl tickets available to students, make it easy for them to attend games, make their attendance seem important, and reward the best seats to the most fanatic of student fans. Secondarily, make basketball tickets require a separate donation from football. That has been politically very difficult to do, because the people who have those premium seats in the lower bowl aren't exactly excited about changes, and they're donating a lot of money to the athletic department. All of that will change next season with the Moody Center, but this is the first time it will finally be the way it should have been for the last 40 years. I guess you can blame CDC for all of this, but to me, he has to pick his fights, and the timing of the Moody Center allows him to make these changes with a minimum of donor revolt, although I'm sure there will be some grumbling for sure.

I'm glad this Texas Tech fiasco happened. I'm more glad it happened after Chris Beard got here. Because Beard is part of the solution. He's done an amazing job of engaging with the students since he arrived. I loved seeing those long lines out the door at the FEC this morning. I'm very much embarrassed if students were promised seats and then were removed from the arena because those seats weren't actually available, as indicated by the tweet this morning posted on this thread. 

Despite today's loss, things are still going in the right direction.

Also, it was nice to see all the former players referenced coming back to campus. I really enjoyed that.

Bummer to have Texas Tech sweep us, especially with all the emotion surrounding both games. Kudos to Mark Adams for building a better team at Tech than Beard did at Texas. I still really like where this program is headed. I do not understand any one who wants to go all doom and gloom about anything regarding this season...even this loss. I do wish there was some way to get Mitchell back on the court, because having one less big body is really bad for this group.

On to hosting TCU on Wednesday, which really will be a must win. 

Holy fuck man condense your thoughts a little.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

We're probably a 4 to 5 seed, 6 at worse.  PTSD is a bitch.  Shaka is not the coach at Texas anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Oh no. College kids using the F word. Grow a pair of balls. You’ll need them when you go to the SEC SEC SEC. 

Honest question to a Tech fan and I want you to be as unbiased as possible.  A) why are you here & B) What exactly does Texas have to gain by continuing to play Tech? There’s no recruiting advantage, going to Lubbock isn’t a selling point for fans. There’s literally nothing gained. We can schedule a H&H but continuing the series seems pointless honestly 

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Lol, telling someone they're a guest on a public message board. So fucking dumb. 

We tolerate a lot of opposing fans. We have Sooners here who keep their head down and don’t act like bitches. I wouldn’t expect to be treated well if I went to a rival board to talk shit 

Just now, Js1 said:

We tolerate a lot of opposing fans. We have Sooners here who keep their head down and don’t act like bitches. I wouldn’t expect to be treated well if I went to a rival board to talk shit 

I just find it funny that a dude with 54 posts is lecturing someone as being a "guest" on a board that's open to all comers. That's all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Do they even have a tech message board? If so I’ve never heard of it. Which is weird since they’re so popular.

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Honest question to a Tech fan and I want you to be as unbiased as possible.  A) why are you here & B) What exactly does Texas have to gain by continuing to play Tech? There’s no recruiting advantage, going to Lubbock isn’t a selling point for fans. There’s literally nothing gained. We can schedule a H&H but continuing the series seems pointless honestly 

a. I’m here because talking about college athletics is fun. 

b. None. Don’t care. Enjoy life in the SEC SEC SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I always like the visitor fans waving bye to home fans. And the fact none of these clowns don’t get a beating shows why Texas is soft from the teams to the fans. And the athletic office doesn’t give two fucks. 

Lol. Yeah, fans should respond to rando middle age Tech fan and his fat wife. Fuck ‘em. This isn’t the fans’ fault. All on the AD and our shitbox arena, which is also on the AD.