Texas vs. tech - 11:30am on ABC

Pancho

17 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Some of you seem remarkably surprised by how many Tech fans there were, and I simply don't understand it. Maybe I read too much? I don't know. We've known for several months it was going to be like this. A Tech fan found a link to the general admission tickets, posted it, and overnight they were gone. I don't know if Texas actually shut down the ability to purchase them at some point, but regardless, many of them landed in the hands of Tech fans without a doubt.

However, those were all upper deck tickets.

The lower bowl tickets represent the same problem they've represented for nearly 40 years. It's the exact same dynamic. 

Back in the 80s when Deloss Dodds first arrived at Texas every program was responsible for their own fundraising. It was a patchwork effort with no direction. Deloss Dodds founded the Longhorn Foundation and dictated that one donation to the Foundation allowed the donor access to premium seats based on that donation amount. Which frankly was a boon to the athletic department as a whole, and the right way to go...except for men's basketball tickets.

When the suites and club seating were installed, part of the strategy for maximizing revenue became soliciting donations to various companies and organizations around town as the professional team of the city. They were marketed to bring clients/employees/whathaveyou to UT games as an event, with the football games being centerpieces. The basketball season tickets then tended to be sold as almost an afterthought, because after the huge donation necessary to get the premium seating for football, picking up the basketball season tickets with the same level of privilege was a toss in.

It's why when you go to the FEC on a regular basis the lower bowl is so often empty. The purchase of those tickets didn't mean anything, so they're really only filled for big games. It's also why even when the seats are filled, so many of them are filled by different people for each game. It's not a family or individual. It's a company or organization that got the basketball tickets as a throw in for the football donation.

When lower bowl tickets can be sold for a premium price like these Texas Tech tickets, they're going to get sold. It's seen as getting some money back. It has always been like this.

The solution has always been the same thing. Make more lower bowl tickets available to students, make it easy for them to attend games, make their attendance seem important, and reward the best seats to the most fanatic of student fans. Secondarily, make basketball tickets require a separate donation from football. That has been politically very difficult to do, because the people who have those premium seats in the lower bowl aren't exactly excited about changes, and they're donating a lot of money to the athletic department. All of that will change next season with the Moody Center, but this is the first time it will finally be the way it should have been for the last 40 years. I guess you can blame CDC for all of this, but to me, he has to pick his fights, and the timing of the Moody Center allows him to make these changes with a minimum of donor revolt, although I'm sure there will be some grumbling for sure.

I'm glad this Texas Tech fiasco happened. I'm more glad it happened after Chris Beard got here. Because Beard is part of the solution. He's done an amazing job of engaging with the students since he arrived. I loved seeing those long lines out the door at the FEC this morning. I'm very much embarrassed if students were promised seats and then were removed from the arena because those seats weren't actually available, as indicated by the tweet this morning posted on this thread. 

Despite today's loss, things are still going in the right direction.

Also, it was nice to see all the former players referenced coming back to campus. I really enjoyed that.

Bummer to have Texas Tech sweep us, especially with all the emotion surrounding both games. Kudos to Mark Adams for building a better team at Tech than Beard did at Texas. I still really like where this program is headed. I do not understand any one who wants to go all doom and gloom about anything regarding this season...even this loss. I do wish there was some way to get Mitchell back on the court, because having one less big body is really bad for this group.

On to hosting TCU on Wednesday, which really will be a must win. 

With Moody, hopefully the splitting up of season ticket priorities for gifts for Football Season Tickets and gifts for Basketball Season Tickets helps clean up part of the ticket mess for Texas Basketball attendance.

A lot of the tech fans in lower level today bought tickets from Texas Football fans that automatically received priority for Basketball tickets under old system and rarely attend basketball games...  that priority won't exist for the Football gift donors next year.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Lol. Yeah, fans should respond to rando middle age Tech fan and his fat wife. Fuck ‘em. This isn’t the fans’ fault. All on the AD and our shitbox arena, which is also on the AD. 

I went to Texas ou basketball game up in Norman and got out of there barely after a texas win. Now you think for one second if we were in lubcock and did that we wouldn’t get punched? 

Maybe I’m tripping but Is it just me or was Brock not Brocking today?? Like it seems like he’s not chasing down Rebounds, diving on the floor, or any of the things he use to do. . Now I’m cool with him scoring more but not if it takes away from what he’s been known to do and that’s hustle. , , that last Rebound that I feel like lost us the game Cunningham got out hustled by Nadolyn which led to the free throws that iced the game. . Idk maybe im just looking for things 

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Do they even have a tech message board? If so I’ve never heard of it. Which is weird since they’re so popular.

Our message boards suck. Yours generally don’t. 
I’ve been a poster in this community since 2008 or so.  Lucky you. 

46 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Stfu you weren’t here all game

I absolutely was. I posted right before the game began. What's the fucking point of posting in this morass of negativity I don't share? I enjoy watching the team. I enjoy seeing their progress. I look forward to each game. I'm disappointed by the losses and ecstatic for the wins. I'm grateful for Beard being our coach. I don't think Carr is completely worthless. I just don't think he was the best transfer player out of the portal last year. The team has limitations. We'll see how they fare heading to the end of the season, and then I look forward to what the makeup of the team looks like next year. 

I swim upstream plenty of times. Doesn't mean I enjoy it (well, sometimes I do). I didn't see any point in posting all my negativity around Shaka Smart for the last 5 years. I quit posting on the football boards when I lost faith in the head coaches over there, as I've done with Sarkisian at this point. But I followed this game thread as the game went on. 

The truth is the game threads tend to be a beating anytime the basketball team isn't up by 3 possessions or more in the early going, and absolutely horrible unless they're ahead late in the game. Which is fine. I just don't share the same mentality with this team, and when I have had that mentality in the past, I haven't wanted to interact with anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, royiv said:

I just find it funny that a dude with 54 posts is lecturing someone as being a "guest" on a board that's open to all comers. That's all. 

Dude, I have been here and other boards for over twenty years. I read about every post on the main boards. I just don’t post much.  Certain things piss me off, and shit talking by opposing fans directly after a loss is pretty high on the list.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

Hell as far as 2021-22 season goes, about half of my basketball posts are trying to talk UT fans off the ledge because they thought getting Beard meant they’d go 31-0.  
Y’all are a Round of 32/ Sweet 16 type team.  Ain’t nobody celebrating being on y’all’s side of the bracket come March. 

2 minutes ago, Chief Ouray said:

Dude, I have been here and other boards for over twenty years. I read about every post on the main boards. I just don’t post much.  Certain things piss me off, and shit talking by opposing fans directly after a loss is pretty high on the list.

You should grow thicker skin if reading some stranger's post on a message board pisses you off.

• Hook 'Em 1

As to the B12 v. SEC, I for one think we deserve to get the clap for going to that fucking well eyed conference. 

So to me we are going to have to take this kind of shit as penance for making that deal with the devil. 

Not begrudging the financial impetus.  But we gotta pay, so may as well start paying now. 

Lord knows we've made a nice deposit in terms of football.

12 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Maybe I’m tripping but Is it just me or was Brock not Brocking today?? Like it seems like he’s not chasing down Rebounds, diving on the floor, or any of the things he use to do. . Now I’m cool with him scoring more but not if it takes away from what he’s been known to do and that’s hustle. , , that last Rebound that I feel like lost us the game Cunningham got out hustled by Nadolyn which led to the free throws that iced the game. . Idk maybe im just looking for things 

Did we watch the same game?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Chief Ouray said:

Having the rival school steal the coach who gave you the best home court advantage then sweeping that team gives shit talking rights imo

• Like 1

Just now, The Original Greaser Bob said:

As to the B12 v. SEC, I for one think we deserve to get the clap for going to that fucking well eyed conference. 

So to me we are going to have to take this kind of shit as penance for making that deal with the devil. 

Not begrudging the financial impetus.  But we gotta pay, so may as well start paying now. 

Lord knows we've made a nice deposit in terms of football.

But it wasn't a money grab. It was getting in a conference that would be an unabashed advocate for big money athletics, help stop the bleeding regarding football recruiting when the Big 12 was considered a let down conference to go to, and get away from being the milking cow the other 3 Texas teams got to suck off our teat. Losing the Longhorn Network over the last years of a back ended deal is not leading to a financial windfall. 

I agree we made a deal with the devil, but the other conferences wanted transparency in the move. The SEC was willing to do it in secret. That was the only way Texas was going to get out of the Big 12 while going around the legislature. 

I'm not a big fan of the move. I've always hated the SEC. I still hate the SEC. But I'd rather have the SEC than the moribund, dead end Big 12. So happy to get out of this conference, even if I have liked it in men's basketball. I'll miss Big 12 basketball. But that's the only time. I'm especially happy to get away from Tech, TCU, and Baylor. And Iowa State, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State. And West Virginia, for that matter. But especially Tech, Baylor, and TCU.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

But it wasn't a money grab. It was getting in a conference that would be an unabashed advocate for big money athletics, help stop the bleeding regarding football recruiting when the Big 12 was considered a let down conference to go to, and get away from being the milking cow the other 3 Texas teams got to suck off our teat. Losing the Longhorn Network over the last years of a back ended deal is not leading to a financial windfall. 

I agree we made a deal with the devil, but the other conferences wanted transparency in the move. The SEC was willing to do it in secret. That was the only way Texas was going to get out of the Big 12 while going around the legislature. 

I'm not a big fan of the move. I've always hated the SEC. I still hate the SEC. But I'd rather have the SEC than the moribund, dead end Big 12. So happy to get out of this conference, even if I have liked it in men's basketball. I'll miss Big 12 basketball. But that's the only time. I'm especially happy to get away from Tech, TCU, and Baylor. And Iowa State, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State. And West Virginia, for that matter. But especially Tech, Baylor, and TCU.

In other words, you’ve accepted your status as a whore. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

In other words, you’ve accepted your status as a whore. 

I guess. I've wanted out of the Big 12 for 10 years now. I didn't want the SEC, but it's better than the Big 12. 

Texas has been compensated plenty in the Big 12. The other schools have gone out of their way to allow Texas to receive an unfair amount of the television revenues, just like they did in the SWC. At the end of the day, it's not about how much you're getting paid. It's about being in a different class of players. The Big 12 is a dead end conference. But classify it however you want. Texas won't be competing on the same playing field as Tech in the future, and I'm okay with that. Same as I was for UH, Rice, and SMU after the end of the SWC. Texas is no more a whore for heading to the SEC than Tech was for helping to kill the SWC when they went to the Big 12. It was the right move for Tech then, and this is the right move for Texas now. 

Tech gets to be reunited with their old SWC buddy, UH. It will be like old home week. I'm happy for you guys. Happier I don't have to be a part of it as a fan.

Edited by SL Xpress

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I guess it’s fortunate that UT isn’t a haven for simple minded morons, and therefore we as a collective are diverse and interesting. 

Yeah, and for most of this season, I’ve been more optimistic for UT hoops than many of your own fans. Multiple posts exist on here substantiating said position.   Simple minded moron that I am…

21 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess. I've wanted out of the Big 12 for 10 years now. I didn't want the SEC, but it's better than the Big 12. 

Texas has been compensated plenty in the Big 12. The other schools have gone out of their way to allow Texas to receive an unfair amount of the television revenues, just like they did in the SWC. At the end of the day, it's not about how much you're getting paid. It's about being in a different class of players. The Big 12 is a dead end conference. But classify it however you want. Texas won't be competing on the same playing field as Tech in the future, and I'm okay with that. Same as I was for UH, Rice, and SMU after the end of the SWC. Texas is no more a whore for heading to the SEC than Tech was for helping to kill the SWC when they went to the Big 12. It was the right move for Tech then, and this is the right move for Texas now. 

Tech gets to be reunited with their old SWC buddy, UH. It will be like old home week. I'm happy for you guys. Happier I don't have to be a part of it as a fan.

You make Texas sound like a cancer/infection. Can’t elevate the conference y’all are in so go and invade/infect another. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

You make Texas sound like a cancer/infection. Can’t elevate the conference y’all are in so go and invade/infect another. 

Yeah compare the Big 12 titles and NCs in all sports between Texas and tech since the start of the conference and then come back and tell us which school is the infection.. 

• Hook 'Em 1