Tokyo Vice. Michael Mann. HBO Max.

Parliament

I just caught up and I also assumed there were 8 episodes in the season. Thought that was the finale so I’m glad I read this thread.

Put me in the camp that’s tired of Samantha. She vastly overestimates her importance, level of influence on those around her, and control over her life circumstances. She can’t get out of her own way and she’s lucky Sato fell for her to provide some protection.

I really dig this show, but there are a couple of things that annoy me:

1. Why does every single character have to have a love interest? They almost lost me midway through the season with all the relationship crap. And the gratuitous gay sex scene seemed like it served no purpose other than to have a gay sex scene. More Yakuza, less chick flick would put this thing over the top.

2. Samantha. It's like they wrote her up with sole purpose of creating a character that makes every wrong decision possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:16 AM, kingkoopa6 said:

Her driver is one chill dude. 

he killin it without any lines. 

He actually did have some lines.  Early in episode 3 of season 2, he got in Yabuki-san's face after ordered that one guy needed a lesson.

On 3/31/2024 at 9:59 PM, 4th&Five said:

Jake seemed to get over the deadly yakuza shootout pretty quickly. 

He got laid the next day when Misaki-chan showed up at his place. Got it out of his system 🤣

• Drool 1

That was a great season of television. I had a feeling of dread throughout most of the final episode, thinking someone like Katagiri or Misaki would die. Happy to see the good team get the win and see Tozawa get his due.

20 minutes ago, thepop said:

Yep great season. I know it hasn't been renewed for a third season but if that's the end I'm content with it. I like when shows end on a peak.

About to come here and say something similar.  They left it in a good spot with some storylines closed and some open.  It would be a good place to stop.

I just don't know what kind of traction this has gotten.  It seems pretty light, but I could be wrong.

Season 2 was terrific throughout though.  Fuck that FBI lady.

21 minutes ago, Stringer said:

I just don't know what kind of traction this has gotten.  It seems pretty light, but I could be wrong.

There are 4 pages on this thread over two full seasons. So not a lot. Not that this forum is a perfect barometer. 

I thought the season was pretty good. It's a pretty good show. I generally enjoyed it, but I never said to myself "A new Tokyo Vice is on tonight! Can't wait to watch it!".

Also, can't imagine the budget for this show being shot in Japan is helping make the case for a third season. 

Finally caught up both seasons and finished the 2nd tonight. Love this show. I'm not sure how they would go beyond this season but I would enjoy it. The storytelling, sets, the location of Tokyo is so very Michael Mann driven. It felt a bit like a Japanese version of Heat. Sato, the reluctant oyabun. Samantha, in over her head. The rampant corruption felt like something out of the Wire. I hope HBO sees the value in these kind of shows.

I heard this come on the other day but skipped over it since I hadn't finished the show. Fresh Air on NPR had a 38 minute interview with the real Jake Adelstein. It was from 2009 when his memoir came out. I may pick that up as a future read.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/22/1239879553/an-american-reporter-offers-a-first-hand-account-of-japans-toughest-crime-bosses

Just binged it over the past few weeks. Thought it was really good and didn’t realize there were only two seasons. Is a good stopping point if that’s what happens. Now I need to find something new to binge

25 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Just binged it over the past few weeks. Thought it was really good and didn’t realize there were only two seasons. Is a good stopping point if that’s what happens. Now I need to find something new to binge

Shogun

• Like 2