John Clayton RIP

C-Man

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I remember in the early days of ESPN John Clayton was their first real nfl geek. It just didn’t really exist.

Yep. John looked like he had no business speaking on the topic but the guy knew his shit. He and Sean Salisbury had some good banter back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guy was fantastic interview on the radio too.  Certainly a trailblazer.  RIP.
And he was what once made ESPN must watch content. Smart. Knew his shit. And a subtle sense of humor and delivery that would bust you up. RIP to a damn good reporter. I'd trade 90% of their on air talent for more like him.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I only know him by his appearance. He looked like a kindly doctor making a house call to see what little Jimmy's fever is all about or the guy who comes into the concrete walled room where you've been taped to a chair looking to extract some secret information. 

I was mainly glad to see a non-telegenic guy get a job. I'll take it on faith that he was good at what he did.

RIP

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Yep. John looked like he had no business speaking on the topic but the guy knew his shit. He and Sean Salisbury had some good banter back in the day.

He used to own Salisbury and turn him into steak. It was hilarious seeing Sean the Jock go after and then get owned by John the Geek.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Funny thing was that Clayton wrote for the Tacoma News-Tribune, which is a couple of rungs below the AAS.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

He used to own Salisbury and turn him into steak. It was hilarious seeing Sean the Jock go after and then get owned by John the Geek.

It was truly great tv! Not so fake and scripted like Skip Bayless and all these bullshit hot take shows. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I liked the guy simply because he made Salisbury resort to the only defense that dumb fucker ever had in a battle of wits….(Oh Yeah? Did you play?)

I used to bump into Salisbury back in the early 00's when we were all running around Dallas. If he's not the all-time biggest Dallas douchebag, he's on the medal stand. What a fucking clown that guy was.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I used to bump into Salisbury back in the early 00's when we were all running around Dallas. If he's not the all-time biggest Dallas douchebag, he's on the medal stand. What a fucking clown that guy was.

you dont say. never would have guessed it

"It was a former employee's going away party, held at one of the few decent bars near the ESPN campus. I had to work that evening, and so showed up around 11 or 12. I walked in and the place was pretty packed. I said hi to a few friends and then Salisbury came up to me. He was always very nice to me, (I) never had any issues with him, maybe b/c I was dating another co-worker and Sean wasn't stupid enough to get him angry. Anyway, he said hello and asked if I wanted to see a picture of his baby. I knew he had kids, but thought they were all older, but what did I know, maybe he had recently had another. So, of course I said sure.

"The picture was on his cell phone, and needless to say it was not a child. It was a shot of him lying on his back, on his bed, naked, with an erection. The photo was taken from the edge of the bed, I don't know if he did it himself or had some help. I also didn't look long enough to tell whether or not he should have been so proud of the photo in the first place. I wasn't shocked or appalled, just kind of stunned really.

"For the rest of the night Sean asked every new person who walked in the door if they wanted to see a picture of his baby, and would then subject them to a photo of his penis. Most of the other females in attendance started warning others as they arrived what he was doing, so eventually everyone caught on. To me the funniest part is that one of the guys there who was kind of a hanger-on with a lot of the talent and analysts kept asking to see the picture over and over again. He thought is was great!

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2022 at 12:55 AM, closetohumping said:

One of the few reasons I watched ESPN.  Not sure why they let him go.  RIP.

Thats how ESPN has been working for a few years now.  They choose between two sportscasters, fire one, and keep the douchebag one everybody hates.  

• Hook 'Em 1