2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Rosenthal is saying that Bell is a priority for the Astros and looking to add a catcher.

Passan, I know fuck that guy, is saying we are looking at Contreras but potentially moving him out of the catcher role full time. They don’t think he can mesh with pitching staff quickly.

35 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

Rosenthal is saying that Bell is a priority for the Astros and looking to add a catcher.

Passan, I know fuck that guy, is saying we are looking at Contreras but potentially moving him out of the catcher role full time. They don’t think he can mesh with pitching staff quickly.

I think Passan is full of shit. Contreras has only made spot starts anywhere other than C or DH. We may go after him, but it won't be to do something other than catch or DH when Yordan is off or playing LF. 

If he's also prone to boneheaded base running errors, he'll fit right in.  Someone will need to explain to him to always keep his head on a swivel for a charging Pena.  That includes the clubhouse and dugout.  One can never be too careful.

Edited by kevwun
  • Haha 4

Bell has a 900 OPS, doesn’t strike out, isn’t a speed merchant and hits behind Soto who has been walked roughly 371 times so he’s always standing over there in first base. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that stat (just like Bregman). 
If he hits 2nd like he should so don’t see this being a big issue. But him behind Yordan and he will hit into a bunch, Just like Bregman currently. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Yea that was 5 years ago. The majority of time we don’t make many if any moves at all at the deadline. Last season is a great example of when you needed to make a move when you had a hole to fill and could have won the World Series. I don’t care what our record is let’s get even stronger going into the post season.

Edited by Rockethorn1978

27 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea that was 5 years ago. The majority of time we don’t make many if any moves at all at the deadline. Last season is a great example of when you needed to make a move when you had a hole to fill and could have won the World Series. I don’t care what our record is let’s get even stronger going into the post season.

Well he did say "never".

Is this move recent enough?

ETA I do agree that we should have done something last year and definitely need to do something this year in order to win it all. 

Edited by The Dog
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I have absolutely no data to back this up, but I feel like we never end up actually trading for the guys that we have been long rumored to be pursuing.

…and sometimes we do, and it turns out we shouldn’t have…

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.fea2d358832a3beb83f88c42aa73e360.jpeg

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I have absolutely no data to back this up, but I feel like we never end up actually trading for the guys that we have been long rumored to be pursuing.

This is true. I’m not expecting a Castillo or Bell deal bc we’ve heard too much about it. Am expecting 5 deals:

flip Odo, backup catcher, LHRP, Bat 1 and Bat 2. 
Dark horse run at TOR SP. 

Y’all are reading him wrong. He said that we were rumored to be pursuing not that we don’t ever make trades. JV, Greinke and Gomez were all pretty unexpected and out of Left field, not guys the national media had us circling for weeks. Reading is fundamental people. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Y’all are reading him wrong. He said that we were rumored to be pursuing not that we don’t ever make trades. JV, Greinke and Gomez were all pretty unexpected and out of Left field, not guys the national media had us circling for weeks. Reading is fundamental people. 

5e539fa42971126c154a7e06ecde690a.gif
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I don’t remember the verlander being n anyone’s radar 

I remember the opposite and everyone was up in arms when it appeared we weren't going to get him - only for us to land him at the last second (literally). 

Greinke was DEFINITELY a surprise. 

By the way, we completely fleeced the Tigers on that deal. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

40 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I don’t remember the verlander being n anyone’s radar 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/mlb/2017/8/8/16113044/mlb-trade-rumor-justin-verlander-astros

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ll have you know that I personally talked to Charlie Pallilo about acquiring Carlos Gomez that summer. I was pretty proud of myself when the trade went down for my foresight; the pride quickly turned to shame, then extreme anger, then shame again. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

Cole and Verlander where both highly speculated trade targets for the Astros.  I remember Greinke being talked about as well. They just have not made  a trade for a real bat since Beltran in 04. In 2019 I can’t remember if there were rumors about Machete or that we just needed a catcher and that is who we ended up with.

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bell has a 900 OPS, doesn’t strike out, isn’t a speed merchant and hits behind Soto who has been walked roughly 371 times so he’s always standing over there in first base. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that stat (just like Bregman). 
If he hits 2nd like he should so don’t see this being a big issue. But him behind Yordan and he will hit into a bunch, Just like Bregman currently. 

Yeah, I would go

Altuve, Bell, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Pena, ... doesn't matter because the rest of the options are below average, unless Brantley comes back healthy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, I would go

Altuve, Bell, Alvarez, Bregman, Tucker, Pena, ... doesn't matter because the rest of the options are below average, unless Brantley comes back healthy.

That first 6 has me hard. Chas, Meyers Maldy isn’t horrible as far as 7,8,9 go, but Bradley & Chas in a platoon would be pretty sexy. If Chas in on the team he needs to play against LHP. If that’s a platoon in CF bc Brantley is back so be it. Be better Jake. Get ready to be a defensive replacement Siri. 

• Like 1