2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

wtf was that Dubon?  Bad jump, looking in at the pitch, shitty slide...
And now Machete leads off the next inning.
At one point i thought possibly a hit and run and the pitch was so shitty that Siri didn't commit....but thats probably giving them way too much credit for getting thrown out lol

12 minutes ago, Scraps said:
18 minutes ago, WBT said:
wtf was that Dubon?  Bad jump, looking in at the pitch, shitty slide...
And now Machete leads off the next inning.

At one point i thought possibly a hit and run and the pitch was so shitty that Siri didn't commit....but thats probably giving them way too much credit for getting thrown out lol

Yeah, after I posted I thought about that too.  There's always the chance Siri screwed up.

I still root just a little more for Urquidy than the other Astros pitchers, and there are some equally likeable guys.

Not sure why.  Maybe it's because he doesn't fuck around and he throws strikes.

Nice effort this evening.

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

maybe bregman is heating up 

He's heating up when he gets a hit with 2 guys on in a key situation, not the 2 ABs he got relatively meaningless singles. 

Pretty cool breakdown of the convo between Escobar and Machete at the plate by Blum. I think maybe not wanting some 100 mph chin music from Abreu may have been part of it too. Escobar gave 2 half-ass cuts at those 2 sliders in the dirt to end the AB, kinda looked like a peace offering 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

Just looked up Urquidy’s game logs. 13 starts. 5 where he pitched winning type baseball, 5 where he shit the bed and 3 in between 

The in between:

6 ip- 3 runs

6 ip- 3 runs

3 ip- 1 run. 

there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that track record for your 6th or 7th best starter in the organization. 

9-4 in his 13 starts. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I consider a starter doing his business and pitching a winning game when the team can score 4 runs and win and the bullpen doesn’t have to be perfect for 3 or more innings. So, if the team scores 5 or more while you are in the mound 6 and 3 is fine because the context might be that you are attacking the strike zone and not caring if you give up a solo HR or two. Just get the game in the barn. That’s why I called 6/3 in between  it truly remembering the context. 3/1 isn’t doing your job well bc it asks alot of the bullpen, but it’s only 1 run so your team can win. 
If I’m going to have a 5 starter with a 4.5 era I want him to get rocked occasionally and throw up a lot of 5/2 type outings. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just looked up Urquidy’s game logs. 13 starts. 5 where he pitched winning type baseball, 5 where he shit the bed and 3 in between 

The in between:

6 ip- 3 runs

6 ip- 3 runs

3 ip- 1 run. 

there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that track record for your 6th or 7th best starter in the organization. 

9-4 in his 13 starts. 

That's harsh imo to call quality starts in between.

1 hour ago, rvm96 said:

That's harsh imo to call quality starts in between.

I think every single person whose ever looked at quality starts has bitched about the 6/3 and pointed out that it’s a 4.5 era. It’s certainly not not doing your job.  But in an era where the median run scoring team scored less than 4.5 runs a game like 2022 so far are we really to consider that winning pitching?

I’m just ambivalent toward it. If you want to give him credit for that I’m not going to say you are wrong. If the offense is average and the bullpen is perfect that makes for a win. 

53 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think every single person whose ever looked at quality starts has bitched about the 6/3 and pointed out that it’s a 4.5 era. It’s certainly not not doing your job.

Do you not see additional value of a starter going 6+ Innings with an ERA of 4.5 versus  a pitcher who goes < 6 ip with a similar ERA? 

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Do you not see additional value of a starter going 6+ Innings with an ERA of 4.5 versus  a pitcher who goes < 6 ip with a similar ERA? 

Of course. That’s why I put 3-1 which is a 3 era in the in between category as well, b/c the innings pitched do matter. 
we were talking about exactly 6 innings in those starts- if it’s 6.1 or 6.2 or 7 even better. 
Like I said- it’s not bad. It’s not not doing your job. It’s tons more valuable than a guy giving up 1 run in 2 innings, but I don’t know that you are going to win more than half your games with that.