Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

Keeping an eye on Kenya. Bussing people into Nairobi for mass protests. Army said they are ready to respond. 

This is from sources on the ground in the security sector I trust. Three confirmed dead in the past few days. 

Business partner already working on plans to get his wife and daughter out of country and back to England. He has lived in Kenya since 1991 and we worked together in some rough places. Never seen him nervous until about an hour ago. Our head of security in Afghanistan lives in Kenya. Just called and looked like shit. Tired. Said it could get Africa bad real quick. Think Mau Mau rebellion. 

Kenya is important. It produces a lot of food and Nairobi is the hub for most western companies operating in East Africa. Should there be a revolt in Kenya, damn, East Africa is fucked. 

Still no advisories from US or UK. Just giving a heads up. 

2023 looking at 2022 and saying hold my beer.....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

Burma back in the news. 

At least 53 people have been killed, according to survivors, in one of the deadliest airstrikes by the Myanmar military in the ongoing civil war. 

They say that the dead include at least 15 women and a number of children. The BBC cannot verify the numbers.

Tuesday's attack targeted a village in the north-western Sagaing region, which has opposed the military government. 

The military has increasingly used air strikes against their opponents since they seized power in February 2021. 

Communities in Sagaing have put up some of the strongest opposition to military rule in Myanmar, forming their own militias and running their own schools and clinics. 

One villager told the BBC that a military jet had flown over at around 07:00 local time (01:30 BST) and dropped a bomb, followed by a helicopter gunship which attacked the village for twenty minutes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65238250

• Rage+1 2

43 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just talked to a former diplomat who was there at the same time as my mother. It is going to get worse and the tribes in the West (Darfur) are watching. 

I'm sure it will work out, since the Sudanese Air Force is using airstrikes against *checks notes* the capitol of Sudan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

The Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have announced that they are both currently “Assisting” the U.S. Military in Evacuating American Diplomats and their Families from the Sudanese Capital of Khartoum utilizing at least 6 Transport Aircraft.

So is this a case of the US told both sides "if we don't get our people out safely, we're bringing in a fuckload of troops and we will decide who is in charge?"

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/20/2023 at 10:30 PM, berlinerbaer said:

My brain isn't making sense of what my eyeballs are seeing. Dictators shouldn't lose elections.

As a man of many perspectives myself, I always enjoy seeing the different takes on issues like presented below, three tweets, from three different perspectives, about the same issue:

Global_Perspectives__38_.jpg

On 4/22/2023 at 11:59 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, we are pulling. Got convoys of NGO's heading to Port Sudan since the ceasefire did not hold. 

Fuck this situation. 

As someone who has had the joy of riding in an armed convoy in Africa, that’s a brutal distance to travel. Seems like a complete nightmare on all accounts. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mullet Free said:

I’ll be the first to say I have no clue on Pakistani politics, but there’s plenty of videos online of protests around the world against this arrest. 

I share this one from Islamabad because McDonalds is featured prominently and I wanted to know what do they serve at McDonald’s Islamabad? @956 Worldwide@InkaUtexas

You’d recognize most of the menu. Burgers and chicken are pretty halal-friendly. The big menu item you don’t get is a pita with some grilled chicken and then the regular McDonalds salad. 

McDonalds in the US gives off kind of a shambolic vibe but I’m consistently impressed with overseas ops. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You’d recognize most of the menu. Burgers and chicken are pretty halal-friendly. The big menu item you don’t get is a pita with some grilled chicken and then the regular McDonalds salad. 

McDonalds in the US gives off kind of a shambolic vibe but I’m consistently impressed with overseas ops. 

Yep, I loved their Kaftan burgers! 

I always find a american fast food restaurant when i travel just for comparison purposes.  Back in the day I had a "bula" burger on a trip to Australia/Fiji - regular burger with a slice of beet and a fried egg.  Damn good

This summer in Sweden & denmark the menu was identical to what we have stateside

I’m a huge fan of McCafe. Not just the drinks, the little coffee shop with desserts that you can find in lots of overseas locations. Always better and cheaper than Starbucks/Costa/Nero and if I don’t know I’d a good local place or want a stop on the road, it’s my go-to. 

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m a huge fan of McCafe. Not just the drinks, the little coffee shop with desserts that you can find in lots of overseas locations. Always better and cheaper than Starbucks/Costa/Nero and if I don’t know I’d a good local place or want a stop on the road, it’s my go-to. 

At the airport in Denmark, it was easier to use their automated kiosks, place the order, pay, then grab the food when they call your name/number.  Much, much faster

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

At the airport in Denmark, it was easier to use their automated kiosks, place the order, pay, then grab the food when they call your name/number.  Much, much faster

I use that anytime I go in Europe. It’s usually for breakfast. Still a sucker for a bacon McMuffin. They usually have an option to grab a table tent and enter the number at the kiosk and get table service. Always really clean, fast, order correct. Staff is usually on the young side, polite, well groomed.  And people like it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

This summer in Sweden & denmark the menu was identical to what we have stateside

I can testify that they have the Filet O'Fish in Paris.  How do I know this?  Because when we visited, the boy was 14, and needed like 6 meal-snacks a day in addition to actual meals.  On ONE DAY we were there, he ate THREE Filets O'Fish as snacks - literally, if we were walking and saw a McDonalds, he said "hold on," ran in and got a sandwich.  He still ate three fantastic French meals that day.  He just ALSO ate three Filets O'Fish.  After he saw how annoyed we got at him eating the first one, I think he took it on as a challenge.

In Estonia two weeks ago, we were road tripping and needed breakfast.  Went into a mall with several cafes -- surely one will be open.  Nope, not till after 10:00.  But they have a McDonalds, sweet, we'll just grab breakfast there.  Nope.  They WERE open....but they were serving only burgers and such.  Yeah, open, with a crowd, ordering burgers at 9:30.  No breakfast (we finally got pastries and a yogurt at a gas station -- pro-tip, you're looking for a gas station that says "Pood & Kohvik" on the sign, means "food and coffee.")