Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

I wonder what criteria those countries have to fulfill to join BRICS and what the application process looks like. What do they sign, what do they commit, how do they slot into the structure. ill head over to the BRICS website and see if the secretariat has some kind of FAQ on this.

Oh wait, BRICS doesn’t have a website or secretariat or application process or membership criteria or commitments or organizational structure. Almost like it’s some made-up bullshit that serves investment advisors and authoritarians. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

In more BRICS news, China drops a new map claiming part of India for itself and also a disputed territory with Russia, not to mention of course the South China Sea an all those claims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/31/china-india-map-protest/

Russia can’t say shit, but India flipped TF out. So, a good sign for the emerging power of BRICS when the RICs have ongoing active territorial disputes with each other. 

“But muh gold-backed currencies!”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

In more BRICS news, China drops a new map claiming part of India for itself and also a disputed territory with Russia, not to mention of course the South China Sea an all those claims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/31/china-india-map-protest/

Russia can’t say shit, but India flipped TF out. So, a good sign for the emerging power of BRICS when the RICs have ongoing active territorial disputes with each other. 

“But muh gold-backed currencies!”

How many NATO countries have territorial/border disputes with other NATO countries?

I don't know what the purpose of BRICS is. Looks like an energy security alliance to me. The BRICS+ countries control a meaningful amount of the global energy, petro, rare earths, lithium, etc. reserves. Remains to be seen whether they can actually run any plays. I wouldn't bet on it. But given the stakes involved, not sure I would want to lay the chalk with a longer term perspective. 

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

How many NATO countries have territorial/border disputes with other NATO countries?

I don't know what the purpose of BRICS is. Looks like an energy security alliance to me. The BRICS+ countries control a meaningful amount of the global energy, petro, rare earths, lithium, etc. reserves. Remains to be seen whether they can actually run any plays. I wouldn't bet on it. But given the stakes involved, not sure I would want to lay the chalk with a longer term perspective. 

Greece and Turkey say high

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Germany has always had some authoritarian tendencies (I mean, the nazis didn't pop up out of nowhere), and they REALLY still have them in the former East Germany (went from one authoritarian state to another).  Hell, see the fact that there's some populist authoritarian shit on the left there, too.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Germany has always had some authoritarian tendencies (I mean, the nazis didn't pop up out of nowhere), and they REALLY still have them in the former East Germany (went from one authoritarian state to another).  Hell, see the fact that there's some populist authoritarian shit on the left there, too.  

When culturally the two things that make you horniest are rules and schisa that’s what you get. 

• Haha 3

We are going to have to find some modus vivendi with India because China. But it’s a truly awful place with a terrible government. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-indian-government-nijjar-1.6970498

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is accusing the government of India of being behind a fatal shooting on Canadian soil.

Canadian citizen Hardeep Singh Nijjar was brazenly shot dead outside a Sikh temple in Surrey, B.C. on June 18.

Nijjar, a supporter of a Sikh homeland in the form of an independent Khalistani state, had been branded by the Indian government as a "terrorist" and accused of leading a militant separatist group — something his supporters have denied.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is resurrected Palpatin the Soviet Union?

My son loves Star Wars so I sent him a photo of my comments and the quote "Turkish President Erdogan said at the UN General Assembly that Ankara supports Baku's operation in Karabakh". He said, "Yeah it kinda does sound like a Star Wars plot. It makes sense though cause Russia is occupied and they are allied with Armenia so Armenia probably won't get any help." I couldn't even place Armenia and Azerbaijan on a map at his age. Shit, I may not even be able to do it now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bevo said:

My son loves Star Wars so I sent him a photo of my comments and the quote "Turkish President Erdogan said at the UN General Assembly that Ankara supports Baku's operation in Karabakh". He said, "Yeah it kinda does sound like a Star Wars plot. It makes sense though cause Russia is occupied and they are allied with Armenia so Armenia probably won't get any help." I couldn't even place Armenia and Azerbaijan on a map at his age. Shit, I may not even be able to do it now.

The Russians are pissy about Armenia doing some joint drills with us. Armenia is doing drills with us because Russia can't help due to the Ukraine war. Azerbaijan and Turkey are exploiting the situation. Russia is using Armenia's drills with us to push the narrative that the Russians aren't helping because Armenia turned to us. It's laughable, but morons will eat it up.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The Russians are pissy about Armenia doing some joint drills with us. Armenia is doing drills with us because Russia can't help due to the Ukraine war. Azerbaijan and Turkey are exploiting the situation. Russia is using Armenia's drills with us to push the narrative that the Russians aren't helping because Armenia turned to us. It's laughable, but morons will eat it up.

Let's just hope it ends with the fall of the Kardashians, and I'm not rooting for bloodshed, mind you, I'd just like to see Kardashia conquered and tossed into history's garbage heap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/26/2023 at 5:22 PM, Macanudo said:

I know people don't love Zeihan around here but he had a pretty decent video this week about the BRICS additions. 

Ya what’s the deal with this Zeihan guy. I saw him on Tik Tok and he’s full of outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bevo said:

The average surly poster can barely not shit their pants. It's ok.

• Like 1

Let’s return to the fuck India thread:

A few thoughts:

1. When a place like India can hurt you more by turning off visas to India than you can by turning off visas to a place like Canada— there has been some strategic miscalculations. I say this as a former resident of the subcontinent and a fan of khadai paneer— a visa to Canada is objectively more valuable than a visa to India and it’s time to return to an objective economy and not one based off of geopolitical NFTs. 

2. Wow, letting an authoritarian government carry out an extrajudicial killing on foreign soil with no real consequences sets a precedent! Huh. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Kosovo continues to simmer. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66905091

Spoiler

Security forces have surrounded at least 30 armed gunmen hours after a police officer was shot dead in Kosovo, the country's prime minister says.

Albin Kurti said the group was in a monastery in the northern village of Banjska and urged them to surrender.

Mr Kurti has accused Serbia of backing what he called a "terrorist attack" that also injured another officer.

The Nato-led peacekeeping force in Kosovo says it has troops in the area and is ready to respond if required.

Tensions have run high in Kosovo, after violent clashes followed a disputed local election in May.

EU-mediated political talks designed to stabilise the situation have stalled.

Kosovo declared independence in 2008 but Serbia - along with Belgrade's key allies China and Russia - does not recognise it.

Many Serbs consider it the birthplace of their nation. But of the 1.8 million people living in Kosovo, 92% are ethnic Albanians and only 6% are ethnic Serbs. 

Sunday's shooting happened at about 03:00 (01:00 GMT), after police said they arrived in Banjska, near the border with Serbia, where a blockade had been reported.

Officers were attacked from several different positions with "an arsenal of firearms, including hand grenades and shoulder-fired missiles", they said in a statement.

"We can see armed people in uniforms...they are firing on us and we are firing back," Kosovo police official Veton Elshan told AFP news agency by phone from Banjska.

The Serbia Orthodox Church said that gunmen had stormed a monastery in the village, located in Leposavic, where pilgrims from the northern Serbian city of Novi Sad were staying. 

Priests and pilgrims locked themselves inside the monastery's temple for safety, the Diocese of Raska-Prizren said, adding that gunfire was occasionally heard.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Kosovo continues to simmer. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66905091

Reveal hidden contents

Security forces have surrounded at least 30 armed gunmen hours after a police officer was shot dead in Kosovo, the country's prime minister says.

Albin Kurti said the group was in a monastery in the northern village of Banjska and urged them to surrender.

Mr Kurti has accused Serbia of backing what he called a "terrorist attack" that also injured another officer.

The Nato-led peacekeeping force in Kosovo says it has troops in the area and is ready to respond if required.

Tensions have run high in Kosovo, after violent clashes followed a disputed local election in May.

EU-mediated political talks designed to stabilise the situation have stalled.

Kosovo declared independence in 2008 but Serbia - along with Belgrade's key allies China and Russia - does not recognise it.

Many Serbs consider it the birthplace of their nation. But of the 1.8 million people living in Kosovo, 92% are ethnic Albanians and only 6% are ethnic Serbs. 

Sunday's shooting happened at about 03:00 (01:00 GMT), after police said they arrived in Banjska, near the border with Serbia, where a blockade had been reported.

Officers were attacked from several different positions with "an arsenal of firearms, including hand grenades and shoulder-fired missiles", they said in a statement.

"We can see armed people in uniforms...they are firing on us and we are firing back," Kosovo police official Veton Elshan told AFP news agency by phone from Banjska.

The Serbia Orthodox Church said that gunmen had stormed a monastery in the village, located in Leposavic, where pilgrims from the northern Serbian city of Novi Sad were staying. 

Priests and pilgrims locked themselves inside the monastery's temple for safety, the Diocese of Raska-Prizren said, adding that gunfire was occasionally heard.

Update. Shit could get really ugly fast. 

At least four people are dead after Kosovan police cleared a monastery held by at least 30 heavily armed men near the border with Serbia.

"We put this territory under control. It was done after several consecutive battles," Xhelal Svecla, Kosovo's minister of internal affairs said.

The day began with the death of a police officer in Banjska village, before the occupation of the monastery.

Belgrade and Pristina were quick to blame each other for the violence. 

Sunday's shooting began at about 03:00 (01:00 GMT), after police said they arrived in Banjska where a blockade had been reported.

Africa not becoming more stable. This could be a prelude to the ECOWAS forces going in. 

Emmanuel Macron has said France will withdraw its ambassador and end all military cooperation with Niger following a coup. 

"France has decided to withdraw its ambassador. In the next hours our ambassador and several diplomats will return to France," the president said.

He added that military cooperation was "over" and French troops would leave in "the months to come".

A military junta seized Niger on July 26, deposing President Mohamed Bazoum.

The decision follows months of animosity and protests against the French presence in the country, with regular demonstrations in the capital Niamy.

The move deals a hammer blow to France's counter-terrorism operations in the Sahel and France's influence in the region, but Mr Macron said France would "not be held hostage by the putschists", speaking to France's TF1 and France 2 television stations. 

There are around 1,500 French soldiers in Niger.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66907517

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/22/2023 at 10:31 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Let’s return to the fuck India thread:

A few thoughts:

1. When a place like India can hurt you more by turning off visas to India than you can by turning off visas to a place like Canada— there has been some strategic miscalculations. I say this as a former resident of the subcontinent and a fan of khadai paneer— a visa to Canada is objectively more valuable than a visa to India and it’s time to return to an objective economy and not one based off of geopolitical NFTs. 

2. Wow, letting an authoritarian government carry out an extrajudicial killing on foreign soil with no real consequences sets a precedent! Huh. 

I, uh, would like a Canadian visa 

21 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

NATO increasing forces in Kosovo. Seeing reports the Serbs are moving armor and artillery towards the border. Yep, just like a Bosnian friend told me, in the Balkans we fight a war every other generation. 

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Can WW3 just go ahead and pop off yet? It's like Jr prom night wondering if my date will touch my dick or not.

Yeah, but your prom night didn't have Russia telling your date to go touch some other dude's dick.

Which might have set WW3 off.

• Haha 3