'Libs of TikTok' has outsized role in right-wing discourse

sasquatch69

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 11:33 PM, PRONG HORN said:

Yeah it’s pretty funny.  They don’t think drugs in a baby’s system matters anymore for certain races.  I don’t think they should give up on people because of melanin.  

Negged for lying just like the site. You summarize it like people summarize the Second Amendment.

image.png.0c89f6856b866860cabca0fa9f2e5dc2.png

As for the governor of NY, examine items 1 and 2 below. From the NYT:

image.png.37b88ae47f569a2ea186bade095da287.png

She retracts and states regret about what was likely meant to be hyperbole. Her main point is access to technology to open up high paying jobs for the children of the Bronx.

Which is key? Here in Idiot World, the gaffe is used by one side to stir up the negros against someone with an interest in a Black community; the other can't get past the possible slight to the economics of the Bronx and defaults to outrage. The first is cynical and calculated to feed the hate engine. The second is a more benign form of idiocy that thinks it's doing good.

@safe sex obliterates the attempt to distort the story on drug testing new mothers using an absurdly low standard for reporting them to the police and social services. The practice being replaced got the wrong people in trouble and scared others from going to the hospital for care delivering their babies. Black mothers were more likely to lose their babies this way than white mothers.

Even in the face of that, we get the willfully obtuse:

image.png.078318dcc884881e2d5b9b8e2f7dc768.png

What if you fucking read, dumbass?

If you still have much hope, the worrisome thing is how these anecdotal points of outrage further choke honest discourse. Anecdotal outrage has largely replaced political discussion. Merely quoting articles one agrees with has largely erased political thinking for the average citizen engaged enough to give much of a shit. Check the number of followers of this bomb-thrower:

image.png.68eac06ace5d11708d2b9c32bd8941ec.png

Thank you, Pronghorn, for your service to your country.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

In the DT thread, prong asked me to show him where the lie was. THIS is what that looks like. It's a shitload of effort and time to put the truth to a lie, especially when the person WANTS to believe it. Pronghorn is quite proud of not actually researching anything and just mindlessly repeating whatever his Twitter feed showed him

It's absolutely absurd and shameful that imma and BL allow libzoftiktok and ENDWOKENESS and tucker carlson's Daily Callerto be an acceptable thing to post in a """non political""" DT thread. It's poison. 

Here's the deal about Prong Horn: He's not some clueless, honest broker fumbling around on Twitter, innocently posting stuff he runs across. He's got a history. The hateful shit he posts is intentional, but Musk's fascist-supporting algorithm gives him cover to play dumb. And because of that, the mods on this board are going to let him get away with spamming the site.

You can put him on ignore like I've done, neg all his bullshit and risk running afoul of immamac's rule on too many negs, or engage with him and raise your heartbeat. I understand your desire to engage because you don't want unfiltered propaganda that might influence others to go unanswered, but we don't have much recourse outside of a coordinated fatwa. Unfortunately, GRUHorn has shown how easy it is to create yet another handle and continue unabated.

(@immamac The above is the same problem with the vaccine thread.)

I don't know what the right answer is for you, but there is something satisfying about skipping over his poisonous posts like this:

image.png.c5c420854128650e3c912b279407b5ee.png

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Honest question: how does one determine if it's shit if the person believes it?

tbh most of the shit he's posting is just outrage stuff. It's not like it's fake, is it over-represented? maybe, but that's actually worth the debate which is what this thread is about. The issue isn't that he's posting fake shit, it's that he's likely putting his hand on the scale to weigh the narrative a certain way. 

A popular tactic among the fascist aligned morons.

• Hook 'Em 3

The easiest way to know that shit posted by Libsoftiktok, Andy Ngo, etc. is misrepresented is because that's literally all they do online. Sometimes it's very obvious, sometimes you have to go to a bit of effort to figure out what the lie is. But there's always a lie. That's fundamentally who they are. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Yeah but on the plus side, maybe Rex's rich friends will feel more comfortable participating and donating 

this is the ultimate goal. I really need to figure out how to get Rex and thetexashammer to give money to the players and not even me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, immamac said:

tbh most of the shit he's posting is just outrage stuff. It's not like it's fake, is it over-represented? maybe, but that's actually worth the debate which is what this thread is about. The issue isn't that he's posting fake shit, it's that he's likely putting his hand on the scale to weigh the narrative a certain way. 

A popular tactic among the fascist aligned morons.

The volume of his posts/videos are over the top and yeah the 'sources' are shitty.  But on this specific issue, I don't think there are videos that exist that can put these "protestors" in a positive light.  The neutral (if not left leaning) national morning show footage is outrage inducing on a daily basis for any normal person.

Edited by Skipper

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The volume of his posts/videos are over the top and yeah the 'sources' are shitty.  But on this specific issue, I don't think there are videos that exist that can put these "protestors" in a positive light.  The neutral (if not left leaning) national morning show footage is outrage inducing on a daily basis for any normal person.

this is correct, it's the frequency not the content. 

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Outrage draws clicks and eyes. That's why you see only the worst clips portrayed on the national news. 

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Flood the zone to quash any discussion.

It gets at Anastasis's point about disabling embedding from Twitter, which I do not support. It's also a bit like the old Shaggy rule about creating [Serious] threads in the old CR, where some left-leaning poster would try to make a point and get nothing but gifs thrown back in their face without actual engagement on a topic. 

I don't know how that changes without much stronger moderation, but no one wants a heavy-handed approach that would diminish what makes this site special. I just wish there were a way to convince people to actually post in good faith without resorting to Robert's Rules of Order and shit like that.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Outrage draws clicks and eyes. That's why you see only the worst clips portrayed on the national news. 

I actually disagree.  The national news isn't even showing the worst sides of this protest.  They are showing the encampments/campus takeovers and police interactions.  There isn't any way to sugar coat what is happening if they wanted to. The national shows aren't really diving into (or barely touching on) the level of anti-semitism which, at least on the fringes, is pretty fucking extreme.   That was my point.  The "mainstream" protests are outrage inducing without even diving into the militant side.

• Hook 'Em 1

I member when the right kicked off their "Unite the Right" rally with a late-night torchlit march in which every single person shouted "Jews will not replace us." And then the Republican president called them very fine people. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I actually disagree.  The national news isn't even showing the worst sides of this protest.  They are showing the encampments/campus takeovers and police interactions.  There isn't any way to sugar coat what is happening if they wanted to. The national shows aren't really diving into (or barely touching on) the level of anti-semitism which, at least on the fringes, is pretty fucking extreme.   That was my point.  The "mainstream" protests are outrage inducing without even diving into the militant side.

Yes, there have been some outrageous behavior and speech at the protests, but I think you're getting a really warped view from that thread. How many tweets have Johnny and Prong posted showing Jewish protesters supporting the Palestinian cause or the Shabbats that were held at them? Why haven't they posted anything about the peaceful protests that have gone on without incident? Do you think they're all violent, overweight weirdos with purple hair and septum rings? 

Go back to this post and watch the clips that ztejas quotes and then says, "On one hand they're spouting hateful, antisemetic rhetoric." Seriously, go back and watch them. Not a fucking anti-semitic thing was said in either of those clips. There's a fundamentally dishonest portrayal of the protests going on in that thread, which you're refusing to acknowledge or admit.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/35425-national-pro-palestine-protests-thread/?do=findComment&comment=6150054

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

Would you say the same thing about Brakeman’s posts in the political cartoon thread?

The posts on the protest thread are video.  The general intent of some of the Twitter accounts is propaganda of course just like lots of social media, but the clips don’t lie.  

the intent of the cartoon thread is also propaganda, but the messages are creatively constructed to prove a point or show an opinion.  I think that the more spamming of propaganda happens to be occurring on the cartoon thread.  

video vs cartoons

I love the cartoon thread I’ve repped brakeman a few times and I posted an anti trump meme in the satire thread.  

again.  Show me the lies or deceptions on any of those protestor clips.  Why single those posts out?  They are all covering different scenarios and interactions that stand alone as separate stories.  They just show what’s happening.  I posted the clips of counter protestors getting violent just the same as protestor violence.  There isn’t a lot of content coming from the protestor side showing mistreatment etc.  if there was I would post without hesitation.  If you’ve seen my posts in the Israel thread you know I’m not exactly impressed with how they go about things.  I’m not weighing the posts a certain way.  

Take the devil you know over the devil you don’t know.  I don’t have socks it’s just me.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I member when the right kicked off their "Unite the Right" rally with a late-night torchlit march in which every single person shouted "Jews will not replace us." And then the Republican president called them very fine people. 

Racists have the right to assemble and spout their hate, but too often their protests are not peaceful. And the cops don’t seem as concerned when the no violence rule is broken as they do when the no tent rule is ignored. Go figure.

6 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Are you sure I never cared about black people?  If I’m using them I guess the governor of New York is also using them.  Come to think of it everybody uses blacks as political pawns one way or the other.  I guess if I was running for president I wouldn’t ban menthol cigs just yet.  

Dance, little bitch. Dance!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

The right is very concerned about anti-semitism.

I mean if the best defense you have for these losers is "yeah but the KKK" that says a lot.

• Hook 'Em 2

@Skipper Let me also add that when I posted a tweet showing a 65-year-old Jewish professor, who is the head of Jewish Studies at Vassar College, getting manhandled by the cops, while also giving more context with a local news story accompanying an interview with that professor, I was met with responses along the lines of "she may have deserved it because we didn't see what she might have done" before the cops threw her to the ground and injured her shoulder.

Then, you tell me with a straight face that we're getting enough context from the short clips posted by the likes of Libs of TikTok, Andy Ngo, and Collin Rugg to make an honest assessment of what's going on.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Go back to this post and watch the clips that ztejas quotes and then says, "On one hand they're spouting hateful, antisemetic rhetoric." Seriously, go back and watch them. Not a fucking anti-semitic thing was said in either of those clips. There's a fundamentally dishonest portrayal of the protests going on in that thread, which you're refusing to acknowledge or admit.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/35425-national-pro-palestine-protests-thread/?do=findComment&comment=6150054

Ok. I watched.  Correct I don't see any anti-semitic chanting. I see a bunch of losers that deserve to be arrested.  This is on par with the stuff posted on the national news that doesn't get into the fringe/militant wing we've seen.  And I'm fine assuming that wing is a small minority.  But if you are arguing these videos somehow paint the protestors in a positive light we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Why haven't they posted anything about the peaceful protests

Not a fucking anti-semitic thing was said in either of those clips. There's a fundamentally dishonest portrayal

It’s hard to find those clips.  I post what shows up on my feed.  

good point on their not being any anti semitic stuff in those clips.  I didn’t hear anything specifically anti semitic but I also didn’t make that post.  I just posted the video of actual reality unfolding.  

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Ok. I watched.  Correct I don't see any anti-semitic chanting. I see a bunch of losers that deserve to be arrested.  This is on par with the stuff posted on the national news that doesn't get into the fringe/militant wing we've seen.  And I'm fine assuming that wing is a small minority.  But if you are arguing these videos somehow paint the protestors in a positive light we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

I haven't argued that at all, just the opposite. The clips paint the protesters in the WORST possible light. That's my whole fucking point. What you're largely seeing are clips from Right-Wing "citizen journalists" walking around and only posting the idiocy.

And, for the record, I've posted multiple times that I think the protests are counterproductive and are a distraction at this point from the legitimate grievances people have regarding what's going on in Gaza right now, where children are dying from malnutrition, thousands of innocents have been killed, potentially thousands more will die, thousands who have zero ties to Hamas have been arrested without trial and abused in Israeli prisons, and now millions are without homes after suffering decades under a blockade while being locally ruled by theocratic terrorists. And all that doesn't even cover the bullshit going on in the West Bank, where Israel is systematically (and illegally) occupying and stealing Palestinian land. 

I don't see how anyone with a conscience could be more upset about what a few numbnuts are doing here when the real issue is the blatant human rights violations and war crimes going on over there.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Would you say the same thing about Brakeman’s posts in the political cartoon thread?

The posts on the protest thread are video.  The general intent of some of the Twitter accounts is propaganda of course just like lots of social media, but the clips don’t lie.  

the intent of the cartoon thread is also propaganda, but the messages are creatively constructed to prove a point or show an opinion.  I think that the more spamming of propaganda happens to be occurring on the cartoon thread.  

video vs cartoons

I love the cartoon thread I’ve repped brakeman a few times and I posted an anti trump meme in the satire thread.  

again.  Show me the lies or deceptions on any of those protestor clips.  Why single those posts out?  They are all covering different scenarios and interactions that stand alone as separate stories.  They just show what’s happening.  I posted the clips of counter protestors getting violent just the same as protestor violence.  There isn’t a lot of content coming from the protestor side showing mistreatment etc.  if there was I would post without hesitation.  If you’ve seen my posts in the Israel thread you know I’m not exactly impressed with how they go about things.  I’m not weighing the posts a certain way.  

Take the devil you know over the devil you don’t know.  I don’t have socks it’s just me.  

Stop being obtuse. You are posting multiple times in the span of minutes. The cartoon thread has bumps every few days or weeks.

28 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

I post what shows up on my feed.  

And.....we've pinpointed the issue.  If what shows up in your feed is a steady diet of Cheong and Ngo....you've self-curated a stream of runny bullshit.  It's as if you were some islamofascist whose feed is curated to show only bad acts by Israelis and jews, and you post a firehose of those with the excuse of "it's just what shows up on my feed."

When you place an order at a restaurant for "plate after plate of runny shit," and then sling said runny shit, it's not an excuse to say "hey, I'm just slinging what the restaurant brought me."  No.  You are slinging WHAT YOU ORDERED.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

good point on their not being any anti semitic stuff in those clips.  I didn’t hear anything specifically anti semitic but I also didn’t make that post.  I just posted the video of actual reality unfolding.  

No, but your Twitter source claims it's antisemitism in action, so it's continuing to suck the oxygen from the discussion. Like for fucks sake you're literally doing trump's defense for violating his gag order: "I didn't post it, I just reposted it!!"

You are creating an incredibly skewed and dishonest representation of what is happening. Yes, there are pro-palestinian protesters going WAY over the line. But just because it's happening in one place does not mean that it's characteristic of everyone everywhere. Your zeal to post and repost the sources you're including really make you look like an asshat.

The majority of twitter profiles you're posting are reposting days old stuff that's been repackaged by tucker carlson's network or libzoftiktok - who have literally incited murderous violent action through their rhetoric - and does not add new information to what is supposed to be a news and current event thread. You're just shit posting your echo chamber and building one here on Surly.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Stop being obtuse. You are posting multiple times in the span of minutes. The cartoon thread has bumps every few days or weeks.

If you think posting them all in the span of maybe an hour is less intrusive to the DT board than me posting them over a 12 or 16 hour day, that’s what I’ll do.  
If I’m bumping the thread multiple times an hour, rather than sporadically all day, I think that’s much less spamy on the day as a whole.  I usually do it between 10-12 at night when people are away.  

I think I’m only posting about maybe 10-15 a day.  Not exactly thread hogging.  

1 minute ago, PRONG HORN said:

If you think posting them all in the span of maybe an hour is less intrusive to the DT board than me posting them over a 12 or 16 hour day, that’s what I’ll do.  
If I’m bumping the thread multiple times an hour, rather than sporadically all day, I think that’s much less spamy on the day as a whole.  I usually do it between 10-12 at night when people are away.  

I think I’m only posting about maybe 10-15 a day.  Not exactly thread hogging.  

there are actual screenshots of you threadshitting. just knock it off dude.

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

No, but your Twitter source claims it's antisemitism in action, so it's continuing to suck the oxygen from the discussion. Like for fucks sake you're literally doing trump's defense for violating his gag order: "I didn't post it, I just reposted it!!"

You are creating an incredibly skewed and dishonest representation of what is happening. Yes, there are pro-palestinian protesters going WAY over the line. But just because it's happening in one place does not mean that it's characteristic of everyone everywhere. Your zeal to post and repost the sources you're including really make you look like an asshat.

The majority of twitter profiles you're posting are reposting days old stuff that's been repackaged by tucker carlson's network or libzoftiktok - who have literally incited murderous violent action through their rhetoric - and does not add new information to what is supposed to be a news and current event thread. You're just shit posting your echo chamber and building one here on Surly.  

you need to take a step back man, I think you are real in your head about a lot of this stuff. The unfortunate reality is no one gives a shit, and you are giving way too much of a shit. I'm not telling you to become apathetic, because that's part of the problem, but you aren't going to fix it so care appropriately.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, immamac said:

you need to take a step back man, I think you are real in your head about a lot of this stuff. The unfortunate reality is no one gives a shit, and you are giving way too much of a shit. I'm not telling you to become apathetic, because that's part of the problem, but you aren't going to fix it so care appropriately.

If nobody gives a shit that they're reading propaganda as unvarnished fact, then we are all drinking poison. 

Pass the fucking Kool-Aid! 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

there are actual screenshots of you threadshitting. just knock it off dude.

You don’t need screen shots if you have the thread.  You mean people have messaged you screenshots of them thinking I’m threadshitting?  Let me know so I know what to avoid.  I’m not trying to get banned but it’s a little fuzzy at this point.  I’ve barely typed much on the protest thread if that’s where the thread shitting is.  

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

If nobody gives a shit that they're reading propaganda as unvarnished fact, then we are all drinking poison. 

Pass the fucking Kool-Aid! 

I feel like the majority of people reading that thread are watching clips.  If they’re just reading and not watching that on them.  Honestly how many of those video tweets are mislabeled?

I’m paying more attention to how they’re labeled if that helps but I’m not avoiding certain accounts just because they’re propaganda spewers.  

1 minute ago, PRONG HORN said:

I’m not avoiding certain accounts just because they’re propaganda spewers.  

Well at least we've gotten on the same page that you're spewing propaganda in what is supposed to be a news thread

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Well at least we've gotten on the same page that you're spewing propaganda in what is supposed to be a news thread

No I think that some of the accounts I post clips from are spewing propaganda in general as their mo.    

It’s video clips of reality not AI generated fiction

like I said I’m looking more at the text and watching the clips to determine if the words describing the clips are actually representing them.  

3 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

No I think that some of the accounts I post clips from are spewing propaganda in general as their mo.    

It’s video clips of reality not AI generated fiction

like I said I’m looking more at the text and watching the clips to determine if the words describing the clips are actually representing them.  

this is correct and why these videos aren't the issue. Captainant may think they are, but as a general discussion item they are definitely "additive", you have just flooded the discussion which makes it counter-productive as these videos aren't exactly all that different from eachother. You could just put a video and say, there were 50 more like this in my feed that weren't from the same protest and achieve the same effect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, immamac said:

you have just flooded the discussion which makes it counter-productive as these videos aren't exactly all that different from eachother. You could just put a video and say, there were 50 more like this in my feed that weren't from the same protest and achieve the same effect. 

This is moreso the essence of my issue. There is original reporting for the incident(s) which I don't have a problem with, and then there is the breathless repetition of old shit that's already happened being presented as ongoing and escalating insanity. The fact that it's mainly right wing shitheads doing it is more a correlation with the depth and breadth of thread shitting than it is the cause of my consternation. 

It's literally the exact same shitheads on Twitter amplifying the culture war framing in the 2020 police brutality protests, as are amplifying shit right now with the Palestinian campus protests. You poured gasoline on a dumpster fire when you said "if it's just videos of what's happening then it's honkey dorey" and gave him a pass to ramp up whatever the fuck elmo chooses to amplify on Twitter. 

It's not good content to just mindlessly spam whatever your social media feed gives you without anything else. You've taken stances against that sort of thing with workswithseed in the past, why is this any different?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And.....we've pinpointed the issue.  If what shows up in your feed is a steady diet of Cheong and Ngo....you've self-curated a stream of runny bullshit. 

Which is exactly the same as the opposite viewpoint.  You agreeing with one side of the other doesn’t make one runny shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Which is exactly the same as the opposite viewpoint.  You agreeing with one side of the other doesn’t make one runny shit.  

When the chief voices on your side are proud lords of disinformation and falsehood.....it's a bad fucking look.  But I'll agree that curating your consumption to only consume information from EITHER far end of the spectrum is a pathway to drooling idiocy.  If everything you consume is "hairyarmpittedhippychick101" and "Kingofantifa" or some shit, yeah, you're probably setting yourself up to be a deluded sucker.  But come on, Cheong and Ngo are hot garbage of the highest order, and you know it.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When the chief voices on your side are proud lords of disinformation and falsehood.....it's a bad fucking look.  But I'll agree that curating your consumption to only consume information from EITHER far end of the spectrum is a pathway to drooling idiocy.  If everything you consume is "hairyarmpittedhippychick101" and "Kingofantifa" or some shit, yeah, you're probably setting yourself up to be a deluded sucker.  But come on, Cheong and Ngo are hot garbage of the highest order, and you know it.

it's a team sport only their side is playing. the rest of us are looking at our candidates as such and they're looking at theirs as the high school qb. we're not playing the same game or talking the same language. I really don't understand why you bother responding to that shit. you're wasting your and our time. dammit, now i'm doing it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Of course.  I’m just not pretending that their mortal opposites don’t exist.  

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m just not pretending that their mortal opposites don’t exist.  

Care to show me an equivalency in chain posting that exists here on surly? I think that you're pretending that something exists when it doesn't actually 

• Hook 'Em 1

What I find funny about the kneejerk "they do it too!!" you always hear from the right is that the people on the left who do flood social media with bullshit are usually doing it to small audiences, not profiting off of it, and it's almost always anti-Biden/anti-liberal content. They're just young, stupid true believers who nobody listens to, not hugely popular posters who make a good living off propaganda and frequently encourage (implicitly of course) their fans to make terroristic threats against targets of their ire, which threats are then carried out.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Is the governor of New York a Karen?  Or is lott the Karen?  

Dude, she's arguing in favor of computer access for all children, irrespective of income or their surrounding environment.  Nice try, tho.

10 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think Biden was probably offered a Benson & Hedges Menthol 100, tried it, and realized that indeed it is the Cadillac of cigarettes.

srij2jj46m961.jpg