MLB umpiring thread

shadow_operative

I got one of those umpiring slow pitch softball of all things.  Ball bounced of the packed ground and straight up.  I was wearing a cup, but when it comes from below like that it doesn't protect very well.  I sympathize.

• Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

That same little twat Junior Valentine had these this season also:   

(A whole lot more horrible strike calls also on twitter if you care to search him.  Angel sucks, but I think everyone focuses on him so much fucksticks like this get a pass from most people.   America needs to normalize ump hate across the board not just against Angel lmao)

Edited by Scraps

9 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

this might be a new low:

I don't know if they can file a protest on this, but I would if I could.  That is, by far, the worst call I've seen in years and that's saying something.  Ump show.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

That same little twat Junior Valentine had these this season also:   

(A whole lot more horrible strike calls also on twitter if you care to search him.  Angel sucks, but I think everyone focuses on him so much fucksticks like this get a pass from most people.   America needs to normalize ump hate across the board not just against Angel lmao)

That's a really clear and obvious balk -- the pitcher has to step towards first.  

Having said that, if I were going to rewrite the rule book, I'd start with the section on balks.

Umpire Ángel Hernández is retiring, a source confirms to ESPN's Jeff Passan. One of the most controversial figures in the game, the source of much ire and frustration by fans and players alike, Hernandez has umpired his last game in Major League Baseball. First on news: USA Today's Bob Nightengale

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Fespn_generic_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
ESPN45m ago

Omg omg omg omg
Edited by beer

MLB should’ve paid him to go away 15 years ago. In the three biggest sports in North America he was, by far, at the top of the scrap heap of horrific umps, refs or officials. I wonder if we’ll see MLB social media team sites troll his “retirement” with some of his greatest calls. 

Edited by UpperWestside

21 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

MLB should’ve paid him to go away 15 years ago. In the three biggest sports in North America he was, by far, at the top of the scrap heap of horrific umps, refs or officials. I wonder if we’ll see MLB social media team sites troll his “retirement” with some of his greatest calls. 

Are we including college football on the list?

image.thumb.jpeg.70914edd00517690dcd7c89e56672374.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the funniest thing about that, is that call probably isn't in his top 5000 bad pitch calls in his career. 

The reaction was so fantastic though. He said everything that every single player ever wanted to say to him in that outburst. 

I mean even the other umpires are glad he is gone. There was quite literally no one in the sport that liked or respected him. It’s insane that he did this for three decades. MLB would have been better served to pay him to not umpire games instead of what they got from him.

15 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The reaction was so fantastic though. He said everything that every single player ever wanted to say to him in that outburst. 

I mean even the other umpires are glad he is gone. There was quite literally no one in the sport that liked or respected him. It’s insane that he did this for three decades. MLB would have been better served to pay him to not umpire games instead of what they got from him.

I think he was going for exactly that with his stupid lawsuit.