MLB umpiring thread

shadow_operative

More context. Somehow, someway it makes the situation even worse. 

Hernandez initially believed the ball hit off the knob of the bat, which AJ Hinch of the Tigers went on to challenge. When it became evident via instant replay that Hernandez was wrong and the ball made contact with Torkelson's wrist, Angel refused to reverse course. Rather, Hernandez insinuated that Torkelson actually swung at the pitch, which isn't even remotely true.

33 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Absurd that they're too scared to fire him. And if it's because they made it impossible with their umpire CBA then that's even worse.

Yeah.

This dude just goes out there everyday daring them.

He's wants to be fired to collect his golden parachute / sue-you retire plan.

It's the same idea I faced early in my career when guys would 'get hurt' and go on LTD 2 years before they hit retirement age.

It's weird that it always happened almost exactly to the day.

What are the chances that the LTD maxed out at 2 years?

So I'm really ignorant when it comes to union stuff, but would MLB not have a pretty good case against him if he sued for wrongful termination? I mean just on youtube alone you can pull up 100 horrible calls by this jackass. 

Posted (edited)

Did the pitcher just forget which leg to start with and then was like oh not this one, this one. 

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

He is the best argument for taking the human element out of calling balls and strikes.

Does robo ump see the pitcher disengage and call time and no pitch?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

In most correct order.  Balk/illegal pitch (didn't come set after stepping off, not sure if runners on or not)......................regular ball......................................................................................................................................................................................................................strike

So of course the strike is what Angel went with.  

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does robo ump see the pitcher disengage and call time and no pitch

Not saying that it's a perfect solution. There's got to be human input, but his insistence on being stubbornly wrong coupled with the ability to throw out any willing to question his judgement is unacceptable. It doesn't have to be either/or. His ego clouds his ability to call the game.

55 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So dumb. What's the penalty for the Cardinals forfeiting the rest of the game to point out how stupid it is?

There was also this game last week, so this is already the second time this season:

image.png 

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

To be honest that dick head made calls like that all night (both sides). Seems it's worse this year.

He was horrible, but Houston got the better of it:

And look at this shit:

image.png.b0cc2dd37fc466a07a47cb2e0c964322.png

• Rage+1 1

More on Hernandez, because he's terrible.

The Athletic printed this yesterday:

https://theathletic.com/5424556/2024/04/18/michael-busch-cubs-angel-hernandez-dodgers/

I asked an umpire if the other umps were embarrassed by Hernández’s repeated blunders, just as a member of another profession might cringe if a co-worker attracted negative attention for poor job performance. The umpire spoke on condition of anonymity because he did not want to be publicly identified as defending Hernández and then become a target of vitriol himself.

The ump’s first point was that Hernández’s mistakes are not much worse than those of other umpires, but more magnified because of his reputation — a debatable point. Then the ump spoke of how highly other umpires think of Hernández as a person, directing me to a recent Instagram post by umpire Ted Barrett, who retired after the 2022 season.

“I’ve seen a lot of negative posts about this man, thought it was time for me to share my perspective,” Barrett wrote. “He is one of the kindest men I have ever known … His mistakes are sent out to the world, but his kind deeds are done in private. The man is selfless.

“… I could write some of the things I have witnessed where Ángel was incredibly kind to someone. As a matter of fact, I could post one every day for the rest of my life and I wouldn’t come close to telling the whole story. I literally saw him save a desperate woman from doing something tragic. I literally have seen him give complete strangers clothes off his back. Since retiring I miss a few things about the job. Watching Ángel love on people is the thing I miss the most.”

Also I didn't realize Hernandez had sued MLB for passing him over for the World Series year after year. For "discrimination."

No Angel, it's because you suck at your job, and MLB is doing you a favor by "hiding" you as best they can. If the World Series was decided by some of your atrocious calls they'd have to shitcan you, union be damned.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

With the detail that soccer has for its offsides review, I’m sure we could utilize that type of video analysis for calls at bases.  Umps can be out there to administer rules and make calls, but anything disputable gets a quick check from AI.  I guess one big issue is can it decipher contact accurately, which is not necessary for offsides algorithms. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

OTOH, it's pretty alarming when Wendelstedt can say "I don't care who it was" and he knows there likely won't be any repercussions for him.    

This is the bigger deal to me. Literal confession that he makes up his own rules.

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I have to laugh because it's Boone getting run.  OTOH, it's pretty alarming when Wendelstedt can say "I don't care who it was" and he knows there likely won't be any repercussions for him.    

He got the baseball equivalent of being Bernarded. Bullies with power like to act this way and be tough guys when they know there are no consequences.  It's fucking stupid.