Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

I find it very hard (almost impossible) to believe that it's been almost 2 years since UT and OU to SEC was announced, but we're only just now finding out from Kirk Bohls in the second half of a random tweet on a Friday that UT and OU aren't getting a full share in the SEC in '24-'25.  

This would have been broken long ago, as it would be a big story, and it would have come from someone else.  Aggy would have made sure everyone knew.

It was known within a couple of days that USC and UCLA were getting full shares in the BIG-a conference that made NU, RU and MD take partial shares for a while.  Has the SEC ever made anyone take a partial share ?  I don't think they have.

I think Kirk is very confused.  His whole tweet is off, as he talks about UT getting paid "this year" and "next year" by the B12, but they're really getting paid for last year ('22-'23) and this year ('23-'24).

Maybe Kirk started happy hour a little early down at Destin.

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Happens every time a team changes conferences and never made sense to me. If they bring value why the delay?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

BIG made NU, RU and MD take partial shares for something like 7 years on the premise that the BTN was already successful, and that they had to buy in over the course of time to earn their equity in BTN.

I knew USC and UCLA were getting full shares from the jump when I read that the only schools that had any questions about bringing in the LA schools were MD and RU.  It then came out in a story a few days later that USC and UCLA were getting full shares from day 1 because of the value they brought to the tv deal.

Iirc, it was similar with aggy.  I think they got full shares from day 1 because getting SECN into TX at an in-market rate was such a big deal.

Given the value UT and OU bring to the table, I'd be shocked if they weren't getting full shares.

And even more shocked by the fact that we didn't hear anything about this for two years.

8 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

BIG made NU, RU and MD take partial shares for something like 7 years on the premise that the BTN was already successful, and that they had to buy in over the course of time to earn their equity in BTN.

I knew USC and UCLA were getting full shares from the jump when I read that the only schools that had any questions about bringing in the LA schools were MD and RU.  It then came out in a story a few days later that USC and UCLA were getting full shares from day 1 because of the value they brought to the tv deal.

Iirc, it was similar with aggy.  I think they got full shares from day 1 because getting SECN into TX at an in-market rate was such a big deal.

Given the value UT and OU bring to the table, I'd be shocked if they weren't getting full shares.

And even more shocked by the fact that we didn't hear anything about this for two years.

Fuck getting less than full. Back out and go Big10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USC Traveler said:

Found an article from February. It sounds like they were set to get a full share year 1 but that changed when OU and UT negotiated an earlier move to the SEC.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-realignment-texas-oklahoma-sec-2024

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gatormarc said:

Found an article from February. It sounds like they were set to get a full share year 1 but that changed when OU and UT negotiated an earlier move to the SEC.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-realignment-texas-oklahoma-sec-2024

Good find.  That got me curious to see if there were more details.  This makes a lot more sense now.  Essentially, it's about cashflow.

I thought UT and OU were giving up all conference revenue to the B12 for '23-'24.  Instead, they're giving up part of it this year and part in '24-'25.

Texas and Oklahoma will each end up paying $50 million in forfeited television revenue as part of their exit agreement to leave the Big 12 one year early to join the SEC in 2024, sources told Horns247.

To generate the combined total of $100 million, Texas and Oklahoma will each take less revenue in 2023-24 - their final year in the Big 12 - and will each take less in revenue in their first year in the SEC, sources told Horns247.

FOX will receive $20 million of the combined $100 million, while the eight legacy schools in the Big 12 - Baylor, Iowa State Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech and West Virginia - will receive the other $80 million ($10 million each), sources told Horns247.

Texas and Oklahoma will go back to receiving a full share of revenue in 2025-26 - their second year in the SEC, when the projected revenue total per school in the SEC is expected to be at least $60 million, sources said. 

“This is a good deal for everyone,” a source close to the situation told Horns247. “The Big 12 wanted Texas and Oklahoma out, because they have four new schools coming in (Houston, Cincinnati, BYU and Central Florida) and a new media rights agreement (beginning in 2025). And this allows Texas and Oklahoma to join the SEC in 2024, when the College Football Playoff expands from four to 12 and in the same year that USC and UCLA are joining the Big Ten. The timing is right.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Oklahoma-will-each-pay-50-million-in-forfeited-revenue-to-leave-Big-12-early-for-the-SEC-204509127/#:~:text=Texas and Oklahoma will go,to the situation told Horns247.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah it isn’t accurate to say UT and OU aren’t getting a full share.   From what I can tell they are entitled to a full share but they are redirecting it to pay the $50M exit fee they owe so they don’t have to pay out of pocket.  So yes, the net payment they receive is less but it isn’t like they are being paid less for being new members.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OrangeHair said:

Yeah it isn’t accurate to say UT and OU aren’t getting a full share.   From what I can tell they are entitled to a full share but they are redirecting it to pay the $50M exit fee they owe so they don’t have to pay out of pocket.  So yes, the net payment they receive is less but it isn’t like they are being paid less for being new members.  

Yeah its messy, but basically they EARN full shares from the B12, but give them back.  The SEC's seems to be paying part of the money on loan to future earnings, so less share until finished.  

Creative, but misleading.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

1. what will be our % in first SEC year?

2. when will we get 100%

3. why in the fuck are we getting less?

You just know A$M is crowing about this . . . errr bahhhhhing about this

Kirk Bohls trolling as usual?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

I find it very hard (almost impossible) to believe that it's been almost 2 years since UT and OU to SEC was announced, but we're only just now finding out from Kirk Bohls in the second half of a random tweet on a Friday that UT and OU aren't getting a full share in the SEC in '24-'25.  

This would have been broken long ago, as it would be a big story, and it would have come from someone else.  Aggy would have made sure everyone knew.

It was known within a couple of days that USC and UCLA were getting full shares in the BIG-a conference that made NU, RU and MD take partial shares for a while.  Has the SEC ever made anyone take a partial share ?  I don't think they have.

I think Kirk is very confused.  His whole tweet is off, as he talks about UT getting paid "this year" and "next year" by the B12, but they're really getting paid for last year ('22-'23) and this year ('23-'24).

Maybe Kirk started happy hour a little early down at Destin.

I think Mizzou and aggy got just less than a full share.  There was a small reduction related to prior year basketball credits and then they were full starting in the 2nd year.

I dont know why I think this but I was under the impression that we were going to get less than a full share from the getgo. I also thought we might get something back for folding in the LHN into the SEC network. OU was pissed because they didnt have a LHN to fold in. Seems like that was why this thing took so long to finally happen.

Then again I may have been deep in a Tequila dream and none of this happened at all....

12 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I dont know why I think this but I was under the impression that we were going to get less than a full share from the getgo. I also thought we might get something back for folding in the LHN into the SEC network. OU was pissed because they didnt have a LHN to fold in. Seems like that was why this thing took so long to finally happen.

Then again I may have been deep in a Tequila dream and none of this happened at all....

I recall something close to that. 

On paper it was a partial share for whatever reason, with a makeup coming in the form of something something LHN. 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:59 PM, statsman said:

Baylor had a stadium miles from campus until ten years ago. 

I think a lot of these “rules” are just speculation 

I think the only criteria was, "What four mid majors have good metrics and a have the best national perception" I said good metrics, not the best metrics because SDSU, Tulane & ECU had metrics as good or better than some schools that made the cut. And the national perception for the 4 chosen ones were the best of any 2nd tier schools. Nationally the perception of UC is good because they recently beat ND and made the CFP. UCF had an undefeated season recently and play home games at Disneyworld and people like Disneyworld. BYU has special underpants wearing fans all over the place. And Houston is in a huge population base, surely that city should have a college team and my Grandpa said something about Phi-Slamma- Jamma. 

Now we all know UHs national perception is to high, but none the less it was good enough for an invitation to the show. We all know they'll need lots of visiting fans to fill their stadium. <insert here's why they get to host UT this year rational> We also know UH is number 4 in merchandise sales in Houston. (Behind UT, AGGIE & LSU) Nonetheless they were a better choice than anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

I think the only criteria was, "What four mid majors have good metrics and a have the best national perception" I said good metrics, not the best metrics because SDSU, Tulane & ECU had metrics as good or better than some schools that made the cut. And the national perception for the 4 chosen ones were the best of any 2nd tier schools. Nationally the perception of UC is good because they recently beat ND and made the CFP. UCF had an undefeated season recently and play home games at Disneyworld and people like Disneyworld. BYU has special underpants wearing fans all over the place. And Houston is in a huge population base, surely that city should have a college team and my Grandpa said something about Phi-Slamma- Jamma. 

Now we all know UHs national perception is to high, but none the less it was good enough for an invitation to the show. We all know they'll need lots of visiting fans to fill their stadium. <insert here's why they get to host UT this year rational> We also know UH is number 4 in merchandise sales in Houston. (Behind UT, AGGIE & LSU) Nonetheless they were a better choice than anyone else.

The Big 12 needed a presence in Houston.  Without Texas or A&M we had very little.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

The Big 12 needed a presence in Houston.  Without Texas or A&M we had very little.

29 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

I think the only criteria was, "What four mid majors have good metrics and a have the best national perception"

What 'mid major' school looks the most like a 'Power' school?  UH is large, public, in a mega-metro that is still growing.  I think they would have been added if they bordered any other conference. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don’t get the sec 8 or 9 game thing. Shouldn’t the media contracts say how many games they’re paying for? I can see it saying $X for 8 games, $Y for 9 games. Is the vote about how many teams want the extra sec money for 9 and which think they can make more with an extra noncon or prefer to take less and keep the cupcake game?

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, &#x27;stache said:

I don’t get the sec 8 or 9 game thing. Shouldn’t the media contracts say how many games they’re paying for? I can see it saying $X for 8 games, $Y for 9 games. Is the vote about how many teams want the extra sec money for 9 and which think they can make more with an extra noncon or prefer to take less and keep the cupcake game?

They do say that.   In short, ABC gets 15 games, ESPN gets about 15 games, And ESPN2/U and SECN get 35-45.    No one gives a shit for the 90% of the OOC games, so that's just fodder for wherever it happens to work for pennies on the dollar.

Going to nine puts 8 more games in play and the mouse will be saying, "those go on 2/U bro" and 2/U doesn't pay what ABC/ESPN pays.   Additionally, the 8 games that will end up on 2/U isn't going to be Texas nor Alabama, its going to be the South Carolinas and Kentuckys of the world.   And just like the Indianas and Iowas of the world stopped more B1G expansion so they wouldn't lose their highlight games, the shit kickers of the SEC are saying "hold up dawg, that doesn't sound so super no more"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

What 'mid major' school looks the most like a 'Power' school?  UH is large, public, in a mega-metro that is still growing.  I think they would have been added if they bordered any other conference. 

I think many are underselling the potential of U of Houston.  Houston is literally one of the most talent-rich urban areas in the nation and UH can create dominant programs by sticking within its region.   Houston is that talent-rich.  Hopefully we are able to tap into it (no pun intended).

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

They took the top 4.  The only ones close were Boise St., Memphis and USF, who were the 3 runnerups along with 4th runnerup SMU.  Tulane and SDSU are way back.

We don't know that UH is #4 in merchandise sales in Houston.  I've seen zero evidence of that.  What I see in the sporting goods stores is identical Longhorn and aggy sections with a UH section that is different and may be a little bigger but usually a little smaller.  Anybody else is incidental.  Rice, Baylor, LSU, might have merchandise.

And back in the CUSA days (Colt McCoy era in Austin), UH clearly had better ratings in Houston than anyone but the Horns.  It wasn't close.

8 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

I think many are underselling the potential of U of Houston.  Houston is literally one of the most talent-rich urban areas in the nation and UH can create dominant programs by sticking within its region.   Houston is that talent-rich.  Hopefully we are able to tap into it (no pun intended).

You must be new here. 

If you’re born here you’re either Texas or aggy. Houston is an Astros town presently. 

Coug High might make the top 10. Matt Thomas is the only local with a microphone that talks about them. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You must be new here. 

If you’re born here you’re either Texas or aggy. Houston is an Astros town presently. 

Coug High might make the top 10. Matt Thomas is the only local with a microphone that talks about them. 

Maybe since the old guard retired.  But I was always annoyed how the local TV sportscasters talked about the Coogs as if they were the only team with fans in town.  They might mention Rice.  They treated Texas as if it was in New Mexico.  Craig Roberts on Channel 2 was the worst of the bunch with that.  I think he did their radio.

14 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

UH used to have a long list of things holding them back from sustainable athletics success (dysfunctional admin, bad academics, bad facilities, lack of on-campus housing, lack of donor money, lack of fan support generally.)  Over the last 15-20 years, they've been addressing all of that.  Between their excellent University President and Tilman Fertitta's money, they've come a long way.  The last big hurdle is fan support for football and it's also probably going to be the hardest one to clear.  Getting into the Big 12 will help a lot, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

Houston is literally one of the most talent-rich urban areas in the nation and UH can create dominant programs by sticking within its region. 

Generation after generation after generation have come & gone, and UofH hasn't won a national title in any meaningful sport. Now that paying players is essentially legal, to think that Houston will soon elevate their football program to a level of dominance shows that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. 

Do you feel the same about FIU? 

Houston is a pro sports town that loves football. Most of the old timers will tell you the Love Ya Blue Era was their favorite. More so than the Rockets in the 90's and the current Astros Golden Era. 

I think U of H is hoping for a trajectory similar to The U. Get really good at football, become the hottest ticket in town, and keep home grown talent. It sounds great paper, but has yet to be realized. I just don't see Texas and aggy fans attending games. That's a large chunk of people with disposal incomes to cross off your list. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Houston is a pro sports town that loves football. Most of the old timers will tell you the Love Ya Blue Era was their favorite. More so than the Rockets in the 90's and the current Astros Golden Era. 

I think U of H is hoping for a trajectory similar to The U. Get really good at football, become the hottest ticket in town, and keep home grown talent. It sounds great paper, but has yet to be realized. I just don't see Texas and aggy fans attending games. That's a large chunk of people with disposal incomes to cross off your list. 

* Luv Ya Blue

Fertitta and his cronies have demonstrated they're willing to invest in UH, so it won't be too surprising if they can "rise up" to compete for Big 12 titles. 

Edited by DFW Horn

The thing I’ve always heard from Coog fans/alumni was that them being left out of a “Power” conference was all that was ever holding them back from being a national football power…whelp the current Big 12 is as close as they are likely ever going to get so it’s now or never for them. If they ain’t ready go put their money where their months have been all these years it’s gonna be the same as it ever was down in the 3rd ward: have a good couple years and get the hype going, then flame out and lose to Texas State at home as 34.5 pt favorites, rinse and repeat.

On 6/2/2023 at 1:11 PM, Hurtlocker said:

I saw this and it is great news. Imagine being in a conference that is going to short You 4Million dollars on your pay out this year because you defrauded comcast. And imagine that same conference isn't getting its Holiday Bowl 3mill payout this year because UCLA dropped out of the Bowl 2 years ago. And imagine the truck stop conference just over the mountains is handing out an extra 13mill this year. And that Truck stop conference has invited you to come over and play. How do you Not ditch your old conference and get you a Peterbilt, some beef jerkey, a CB radio and the Bucee's app on your phone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

I saw this and it is great news. Imagine being in a conference that is going to short You 4Million dollars on your pay out this year because you defrauded comcast. And imagine that same conference isn't getting its Holiday Bowl 3mill payout this year because UCLA dropped out of the Bowl 2 years ago. And imagine the truck stop conference just over the mountains is handing out an extra 13mill this year. And that Truck stop conference has invited you to come over and play. How do you Not ditch your old conference and get you a Peterbilt, some beef jerkey, a CB radio and the Bucee's app on your phone.

The author must be some coastal elite asshole if they don't realize that truckers and Bucees are mortal enemies.

• Haha 4

Can someone explain it like I'm 5 why my Tech tard friend is so convinced that ESPN/FOX are going to bend over and pay top dollar for whoever the Big 12 is adding (and have already paid top dollar for the AAC replacements + BYU) but SEC is having trouble getting the extra money to make going to 9 conference games worth it to their existing schools + UT and OU? Just doesn't seem to add up to me but I'm guessing I missed something...

5 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Can someone explain it like I'm 5 why my Tech tard friend is so convinced that ESPN/FOX are going to bend over and pay top dollar for whoever the Big 12 is adding (and have already paid top dollar for the AAC replacements + BYU) but SEC is having trouble getting the extra money to make going to 9 conference games worth it to their existing schools + UT and OU? Just doesn't seem to add up to me but I'm guessing I missed something...

I don’t think it’s about money I think many sec schools genuinely like 8 games and the networks don’t really care, they pay less with 8 and will pay what they think it’s valued if they chose 9. Ou/Tx/etc can schedule Michigan/USC/ND noncon if they want an extra high profile game.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, &#x27;stache said:

I don’t think it’s about money I think many sec schools genuinely like 8 games and the networks don’t really care, they pay less with 8 and will pay what they think it’s valued if they chose 9. Ou/Tx/etc can schedule Michigan/USC/ND noncon if they want an extra high profile game.

Until the playoff committee/CFB media start penalizing the SEC for playing 8 games, I think most schools value the extra W over the extra $ that would come with the 9th game.

2 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

You're talking different top dollar amounts.   The Big 12 is talking adding people between $30-40, adding to the SEC is twice as much.   So top dollar is relative to what the Pac will receive vs what they'll make matching in the Big 12.   And the reason they continued their current contract without losing money with Texas/Oklahoma leaving was two fold:  One they were set to make a massive jump in money in the next contract, likely closer to $60m a team, so they did lose considerable value.  However, two, over the past 5 years the remaining teams have increased their engagement with fans by 40% when many other groups are sinking.   That doesn't make Kansas State equal to Oklahoma, but it makes them worth a lot more than they were worth the last time the Big 12 signed a contract.

As for the SEC, the issue isn't that Texas doesn't get top dollar for the games, it is that going to 9 puts more games on lower networks like ESPN2 and not ESPN/ABC.   Those aren't worth as much and it means less games on the big networks for the lower brands of the SEC, who also get a vote.

They'll end up going to 9, especially after Texas/Oklahoma get a vote, and they'll get more for it, but the SEC is trying to do it mid contract, as opposed to the B1G who did it at the end of a contract, that's part of the reason too.

Edited by Hurtlocker
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

The author must be some coastal elite asshole if they don't realize that truckers and Bucees are mortal enemies.

The few truckers I've known in my life are all die-hard Kwik Trip fans. Not really sure what the appeal is compared to Flying J / Loves / whatever, but the consensus from my limited sample size was clear. 

On 6/3/2023 at 10:01 PM, bullet said:

They took the top 4.  The only ones close were Boise St., Memphis and USF, who were the 3 runnerups along with 4th runnerup SMU.  Tulane and SDSU are way back.

We don't know that UH is #4 in merchandise sales in Houston.  I've seen zero evidence of that.  What I see in the sporting goods stores is identical Longhorn and aggy sections with a UH section that is different and may be a little bigger but usually a little smaller.  Anybody else is incidental.  Rice, Baylor, LSU, might have merchandise.

And back in the CUSA days (Colt McCoy era in Austin), UH clearly had better ratings in Houston than anyone but the Horns.  It wasn't close.

UH brings to the new Big 12 what Rutgers brought to the Big 10, a large media market, and another presence in talent-rich Texas. They actually bring a little big more than Rutgers because they have a track record of some football success and are currently really good in basketball. I don't think attendance will be a problem. Houston attracts a ton of Big 12 graduates at entry level jobs, so even if UH's own fans don't increase (I think they will), they will sell tickets regularly to other Big 12 alum and fans. I think the stadium holds like 40K, I don't think attendance will be an issue. I think they'll be in the rotation of teams that pop up and win the conference from time to time, too much talent in the area and the new conference isn't top heavy, so they'll do fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

These are two different topics.

The SEC had a pro rata deal to increase their payout when Texas/OU joined that was the easy part. That added payout though would have been the same had they added Kansas and West Virginia. The argument is that Texas/OU bring in MORE value than the standard increase and significantly raise the value of the entire conference. The SEC is using the increase to 9 games as a bargaining chip to get that value recognized in addition to the added value of more conference games so it’s a tougher negotiation.

The Big 12 has a similar pro rata deal with  ESPN (roughly 2/3rds of their deal) for P5 additions (meaning not SDSU/UConn) but not with FOX. FOX has incentive to back Big 12 expansion for late night inventory for FS1 since they only really have USC/UCLA filling that role in the P5. The Big 12 already played 9 conference games and was already being paid for that. No one the Big 12 adds is going to significantly raise the value of their conference outside of Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Florida St, or Notre Dame. That means the math is a lot more straightforward and the dollars are smaller since ESPN is already contractually obligated and they really just need FOX to fund expansion.

So ESPN is already on the hook for both the SEC’s UT/OU expansion ($120m/yr/school), and the potential Big12 CU/AZ…expansion ($20m/yr/school).

SEC is asking ESPN to give more money for UT/OU’s high value and 9 conference games (IIRC the ask is around $120m/yr or $7.5m/yr/school for all 16)

Big 12 is just asking FOX to fund $10m/yr/addition or $40 total, which is only 1/3 of what the SEC is asking.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Are trucks even allowed at Bucees? I'm pretty sure the two in Florida have no semi signs at the turn ins.