Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/30/sec-meetings-nil-athlete-employment-collectives-hot-topics

Good discussion of the NIL conflict even within the SEC.  This could well be the thing that leads to a splitoff from the NCAA.  Article makes it sound like aggy is giving a middl finger to the NCAA.

"...Soon in Texas, Texas A&M donors will earn priority points through the school’s fundraising arm for donations that eventually funnel to athletes. For months now in Arkansas, college athletes have been paid for charity appearances through a nonprofit organization that is owned by the school’s fundraising foundation.

Meanwhile, on the Florida Gulf Coast, where the SEC’s most powerful officials gather this week in Destin for their annual league meetings, none of the above is permitted. If the University of Florida carried out those actions, it would be in violation of NCAA rule and its own state law. The same can be said for a handful of other SEC schools in Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee.

“Right now, we’re in no-man’s land,” says Walker Jones, executive director of the Ole Miss collective, The Grove. “If you are the SEC office and you’ve got 14 schools and three are operating this way, it’s a competitive problem....”

Jason Belzer is CEO and cofounder of Student Athlete NIL (SANIL), an organization that manages more than 30 booster collectives from Oklahoma to Penn State. “The median collective on the Power 5 level has about $3 million on hand,” Belzer says. “Some have $7 [million] to $10 million, but many are also operating at $1 [million] to $2 million on hand.”

The average compensation for a Power 5 football player from a collective ranges widely, usually around $10,000 to $50,000 annually, but “about five players per roster are making more than $100,000 on average,” he says....

Georgia president Jere Morehead, the president of the SEC executive council who also chairs the NCAA Division I Board of Directors, believes schools are putting athletes’ eligibility status “at risk” with the foundation approach. “If NIL payments come directly or indirectly from the institution, that sounds like an employment relationship,” he says.

Michael Leroy, an Illinois law professor who has published extensive work on labor policy, believes the Texas A&M situation could eventually be used in the NCAA’s court battle in the Johnson case—a fight over whether athletes are employees playing out in the state of Pennsylvania.

Many experts already believe college athletes meet many of the indicators used to determine employment. For starters, Leroy says, athletes are in a “controlled environment” for “work,” such as playing games and attending practices. Someone also benefits financially from the work, such as coaches, administrators, etc.

The latest foundation move brings athletes even closer to employment status...."

29 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

NBC not exactly getting great games...

I just looked at the first 3 weeks of the B1G schedule and most of their P5 noncon games are on the road, especially in week 2 (Nebraska at Colorado, Wisconsin at Washington State, Iowa at Iowa State, Illinois at Kansas, Purdue at Virginia Tech).  The schools should collaborate a little more in the future to avoid early weeks where everybody is either on the road or playing a cupcake.  NBC is getting the conference's best game in Week 1.  Week 3 has Washington at Michigan State but I'm guessing somebody else got that game.  But in Week 4 NBC will have one of the most watched games of the season in Ohio State at Notre Dame.

52 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

So the guy hasn't coached a game yet for Colorado and he's calling the shots for what conference they'll be in?

He might not even be there anymore when they make the move.

Seriously, maybe don't give the coach control over a major decision like that? He won't be at CU in 5 years. He'll either succeed and move to a blueblood, or fail and go back to a smaller school or go into marketing or one of the many ways he can make money being Deion Sanders. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Seriously, maybe don't give the coach control over a major decision like that? He won't be at CU in 5 years. He'll either succeed and move to a blueblood, or fail and go back to a smaller school or go into marketing or one of the many ways he can make money being Deion Sanders. 

Does he have any more kids in the pipeline? If so, he will coach long enough to showcase them and get them to the League.

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

So the guy hasn't coached a game yet for Colorado and he's calling the shots for what conference they'll be in?

Yeah, I found Dennis Dodds reporting on this laughable too.
"Neon Deion has gotta sign off on a move to the Big 12!" Bullshit

3 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

There are several advantages for CU by making the move.

1. Geographic: A. Big complaint by Boulder business owners is that visiting teams from the PAC12 don't bring fans like the BIG12 did. Well duh, geographic isolation has consequences. B. Central time zone games get more viewers. This indisputable fact is why Larry Scott worked so hard on landing CTZ teams back in 2010. C. Playing games in recruiting hot beds matters.

2. Stability: It's ironic that the conference that has lost six members in 12 years is the stable one, but that is where we are.

3. More linear less streaming. Broadcast TV and Cable are still where the eyeballs are. It may be different in 6 years, but as of now the PACX current contract has more streaming than any other conference and if the new TV deal is headed by AppleZon then it will be even more streaming oriented.

4. The PACX deal may come in at below the dollar threshold that CU can live with.

20 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Alternatively, CU's admins want to make the move and Coach Prime is a good shield for the admins to hide behind if criticism starts pouring in.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, gatormarc said:

its worse than that. he has no ties whatsoever to colorado.  he could leave next year for florida state

I think Colorado is so desperate to dig out of their rut that they’ll consider anything. Like Deion. Like a return to the Big 12. 

I doubt Deion is calling the shots. Conference realignment is president/BOR level decision making. 

That said, I’m sure Prime would be happy to shift his most fertile recruiting ground from Northern California to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The level of delusion in Boulder is incredible.  There's some CU fans who  think Prime is going to stay for a long time, dominate the B12, get to the playoffs regularly and use that success to jump to the BIG in 2030.    And there's one PAC diehard still contending that Yormark left money on the table by agreeing to the ESPN/Fox extension.  😂😂😂   You can't make this stuff up.  I'll let the posts from the CU247 board speak for themselves:

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/board/104133/Contents/anyone-think-prime-is-pushing-for-b12-move-210920911/?page=1

I kind of hate the B12. I’m the type of guy that doesn’t like to look back either. We did that and moved on.

But I’m just looking at this objectively. You have to think CP would love this and May even be pushing for it.

And if CP would love it, he may stay long term, will be happier by going to TX more often, will dominate TX recruiting and probably do even better in the South and in the end we will win a lot and be a regular candidate to make it to the CFP.

That’s enough for me to get behind it even though I don’t like the conference.

If CP is pushing for the Big 12 that means he is looking at this job for more than just the two years some are speculating he will stay at CU.

Yes, I think Prime is all in on a move to the Big 12. If Deion Sanders is sticking around for quite a while, I’m sure he sees this as an opportunity to further improve his recruiting and accelerate CU’s opportunity of playing in the CFP. Until there’s another overhaul of conferences, and Big 12 is no longer guaranteed an automatic bid, I’m on board with the move. I want the path of least resistance to the CFP. This feels like it would be just that and a real chance to restore our football brand. I think CU could climb to the top of that conference and I hope that Twitter handle posts this.

We dont know about the big 12 leadership. We dont know how the stuff BY has done will play out. He extended a deal and by all accounts left money on the table. I have no desire to move a home game to Mexico in bball or football. He is a salesman and he is selling hard. I dont trust salesmen and till we find out what the deal is we dont know how GK is doing. Just for everybodys info, before Larry Scott and the presidents screwed the pac 12 over it was the most lucarative confernce in the country and even though it had uneven revenue sharing it was good enough that most of the teams thrived.

If it comes to it, retaining CP is much more important than what conference we're in. It would be an agonizing choice for me if I had to choose between the B12 with CP vs B1G without CP. To me, he's that important. I think our chances of winning an NC in the B12 with CP are greater than our chances of winning one in the B1G without him.

• Haha 3

Its a Wilzano talking point that the Big 12 didn't get as good a deal as they could by renewing instead of waiting until the exclusive period expired as the Pac is doing.

These CU people are just repeating that unsubstantiated self-serving speculation.

2 hours ago, bullet said:

Its a Wilzano talking point that the Big 12 didn't get as good a deal as they could by renewing instead of waiting until the exclusive period expired as the Pac is doing.

These CU people are just repeating that unsubstantiated self-serving speculation.

Right.  I'm just amazed anyone believes it at this point.

Given the PAC's inability to get an acceptable deal, Yormark made a smart deal to lock up good money and linear exposure, both of which are limited quantities.

Klownkoff believed his own BS about the WAC10 being close to the BIG in value, and that delusion let the B12 jump in front of them to close their deal, which is going to  cost the WAC10 schools (and Klownkoff) dearly.

26 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

These are the funniest videos ever to hit the interwebs.

You guys clearly just have bad taste.

Usually speaking the SEC Shorts have some very funny moments typically involving the agz the past two seasons but most of it it just feels like they are reaching to get the rest of the shit in once the gomers set the bar of incompetence so high.

Interesting bit from the CBS sports article above:

As for Missouri, its state law mirrors the rest but with a twist: High school athletes in the state can discuss NIL deals and earn NIL compensation after signing a letter of intent but before enrolling in the college. Here’s the kicker: To qualify for early NIL, athletes must have signed with an in-state school.

“Game changer!” Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz tweeted after the law passed.

Lulz

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Most of those things are pretty average.  At best.

I think together, as a group, with all of us trying our best, we could do the best college realignment comedy video ever! Obviously, I'll direct. I'm accepting applications for these roles: Saban, George Kliavkoff, Brett Yormark, Greg Swaim, MHver3, George W Bush, Deion and I would like Billy Liucci to be played by a woman or ladyboy. We will rehearse every Tues & Thurs night at Danny's Seafood House in Palacios.

16 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

I think together, as a group, with all of us trying our best, we could do the best college realignment comedy video ever! Obviously, I'll direct. I'm accepting applications for these roles: Saban, George Kliavkoff, Brett Yormark, Greg Swaim, MHver3, George W Bush, Deion and I would like Billy Liucci to be played by a woman or ladyboy. We will rehearse every Tues & Thurs night at Danny's Seafood House in Palacios.

I guess if I left now I could probably make it for tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

B1G getting ready for COCKING IT UP! ON THE PEACOCK NETWORK!

tumblr_lh5sgeyjuo1qzgjdr.gif

There are three OOC games so far that are only on Peacock.  East Carolina and Delaware are two of the visiting teams.  The 3rd ?

The BIG broadcast partners think so highly of UW that they've got UW at MSU on Peacock only.  Ouch.

The good news for UW is that this will give them a sneak preview of what life will be like under a deal with Apple deal if they stay in the PAC.

There have been rumblings about UW being more open than people think about going B12.  If UW jumped, UO and UU would be forced to follow.

What's the best scenario for the B12?  Add UW, UO plus 4C and stop at 18 until the ACC comes apart ?  

Or add those schools plus Cal and SDSU, then stop at 20 until ACC schools become avail ?

Edited by USC Traveler

32 minutes ago, mdmost said:

laugh-laughing.gif

This is not overly surprising, but also slightly deceiving.   Most are on Fox:

• Colorado @ TCU - Fox
  • Arkansas State @ Oklahoma - ESPN
  • Rice @ Texas - Fox
  • WVU @ Penn State - NBC
  • Tech @ Wyoming - CBS
  • Utah @ Baylor - ESPN
  • Iowa @ Iowa State - Fox
  • Oregon @ Tech - Fox
  • Texas @ Bama - ESPN
  • Pitt @ WVU - ABC
  • TCU @ Houston - Fox

Then you have:

• ESPN2 - Iowa State @ Ohio, BYU @ Arkansas
  • FSI - Kent State @ UCF, UTSA @ Houston, Sam Houston @ BYU, Troy @ KState, UCF @ Boise State, OkSt @ ASU

The ESPN+ games are all the games you'd figure would be plus games, e.g. South Alabama, Miami OH, Villanova, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

• Colorado @ TCU - Fox
  • Rice @ Texas - Fox
  • WVU @ Penn State - NBC
  • Tech @ Wyoming - CBS
  • Utah @ Baylor - ESPN
  • Oregon @ Tech - Fox
  • Texas @ Bama - ESPN
  • Pitt @ WVU - ABC
  • TCU @ Houston - Fox

Then you have:

• FSI - Kent State @ UCF, UTSA @ Houston, Sam Houston @ BYU, Troy @ KState, UCF @ Boise State, OkSt @ ASU

The ESPN+ games are all the games you'd figure would be plus games, e.g. South Alabama, Miami OH, Villanova, etc.

Fuck, does this mean we’ll play a day game Labor Day weekend?? It will be hot as balls. 

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Wonder how this changes next year. I'd imagine the bookends will increase and the middle will shrink significantly. There's only so many OTA stations. 

For who? For Tier One:

I think the Big Ten and SEC’s will increase. SEC is slightly handicapped as non conference home games aren’t eligible for OTA due to their CBS deal. Once that expires that should go up and the Big Ten will likely just add another with USC joining.

The PAC will go down if they don’t get a deal obviously.

I think the ACC’s will increase and the Big 12 w/o UT/OU will decrease some but not a ton, but might stay the same if they add P12 schools.

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

For who? For Tier One:

I think the Big Ten and SEC’s will increase. SEC is slightly handicapped as non conference home games aren’t eligible for OTA due to their CBS deal. Once that expires that should go up and the Big Ten will likely just add another with USC joining.

The PAC will go down if they don’t get a deal obviously.

I think the ACC’s will increase and the Big 12 w/o UT/OU will decrease some but not a ton, but might stay the same if they add P12 schools.

Sorry, I was meaning for the Big 12. I think streaming will go up with more ESPN+ games as all tier 3 is already there. The SEC will get more cable games and at least 1-2 ABC spots since the SEC GOTW goes to the 2:30 ABC spot. CBS/NBC/FOX will mostly rotate Big 10 games and if there's a decent ranked Big 12 matchup. Pac 12 probably stays the same since they still have the existing deal. LHN is going to fold into the SEC Network. ACC still has their network. The only one that doesn't is the Big 12. They only have streaming, FS1/FS2, and possibly ESPN2 as options for less exciting matchups.

The Big 10 will shrink as far as streaming since they now have 3 OTA options. Cable will shrink as well outside of CBS Sports Network and FS1/FS2 since ESPN is no longer an option. 

More gold from the CU247 board.  Pure delusion!🤣

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/board/104133/Contents/poll-pac-12-or-big-12-210935416/?page=1

Tell them both we won't head their way until they put something close to $40 million on the table. Somebody will dig deep for Coach Prime, AAU status, the Denver media market, a fast growing population, a wealthy and large alumni base, and the Mountain Time Zone. And tell them both there's no deal with an exit fee, and a GOR can't go beyond 2029. Somebody will jump. We're one of only a couple of schools that have some bargaining power.

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

B1G getting ready for COCKING IT UP! ON THE PEACOCK NETWORK!

tumblr_lh5sgeyjuo1qzgjdr.gif

2 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

• Colorado @ TCU - Fox
  • Rice @ Texas - Fox
  • WVU @ Penn State - NBC
  • Tech @ Wyoming - CBS
  • Utah @ Baylor - ESPN
  • Oregon @ Tech - Fox
  • Texas @ Bama - ESPN
  • Pitt @ WVU - ABC
  • TCU @ Houston - Fox

Then you have:

I vastly prefer ESPN+ to Peacock. We have the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ combo which is a pretty good deal. I can also watch OSU baseball and softball. I'm not signing up for another streaming service for a few games a year and Saved by the Bell reboots. I have no idea though if I'm in the majority or the minority. Today's release has OSU v Central Arkansas and v. South Alabama on ESPN+, and there can really be no seriously complaints, because those are some super shitty matchups. We usually only have one per year. I'm more upset that our ASU game in Tempe is not only on FS1, but will start at 9:30 pm central. I'm old, that's fucking late, even for a Saturday. 

Edited by 'stache