Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, Texas Wahoo said:

With the rest of the statement:

Obviously Athletics Directors are not the ones calling the shots here, but this does not exactly sound like the words of someone that is about the leave the conference.  I love the last part about waiting until 2036 and then you can do whatever you want.

I get wanting FSU folks to tone it down a bit, but is UNC really happy with that crappy deal they're locked into for the next 13 years? I can't imagine, considering they are considered a prime target despite mediocre football. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

With the rest of the statement:

Obviously Athletics Directors are not the ones calling the shots here, but this does not exactly sound like the words of someone that is about the leave the conference.  I love the last part about waiting until 2036 and then you can do whatever you want.

Who is "BubbaUNC" and why should I give a fuck what he thinks? If it's a person of note, why doesn't the author of the tweet name him, as well as tagging him?

11 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

ESPN's financial struggles are known. If FSU moves to a non-ESPN conference, that is a financial hit for ESPN...no bueno. If FSU moves to an ESPN-affiliated conference, they would only do it for more money, so that means ESPN is paying more for FSU games it had on the cheap when they were in the ACC....no bueno. ESPN wants FSU right where they have them. 

College football is a major cash cow.. This is an area they will invest in still if the value is there. So the whole the PAC was late to market is a cool  story and all, but that's all it is...  ESPN and it's live sports isn't the financial issues. It's in other areas that the mouse took it's hits, mainly Disney+

What all of us tend to overlook is that ESPN and Fox seldom, If ever compete against each other for college football.  In fact, they divide up the content they want and practically hand their bid in together. If almost as if they. Were partners and not competitors. They (nor the SEC and B10) never step on each other's toes when it comes to contracts and expansion..  in fact it's as if each side knows what the other is doing a long time before the news breaks... 

They worked together to save the BIG 12 three times now, and they seem to have worked together to let the PAC die...  I guess if you and your competitor can find a way to share the market instead of fighting for every inch, you probably save you both countless millions

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The school can expel you for being gay and in a relationship, but shots from the “sacred” cup, that’s intolerant and disrespectful. Such fucking bullshit.

They don't expel anyone for being gay.  Gay or straight as long as you aren't having premarital sex you're fine.  

21 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

They should do like Baylor and both reserve the right to punish you for being gay while also allowing LGBT+ groups to look better for their academic peers.

YARN | - Yeah? - I'm gonna play both sides. | It's Always Sunny in  Philadelphia (2005) - S10E09 Frank Retires | Video clips by quotes |  8d2c880d | 紗

We've had and still do have LGBTQ faculty on staff and I've known some LGBTQ students while I attended BYU and none of them had any issues.  They were treated just like anyone else.  

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

If 8 want to leave, can they vote to dissolve the conference? Maybe that is FSU's grand plan?

Yes. Just need a simple majority of the 15 to dissolve which would get rid of the exit fee but the GoR would continue to exist.

Maybe the plan is that the GoR is really untenable if there is no ACC and now it's 15 separate deals that have to be dealt with and ESPN will be more willing to negotiate?

37 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

B12 can't add a non-P5 and get the same incremental payout

That is indeed what the TV contracts say. BUT if your the two network stake holders and you were asked. Would you rather the Big12's 16th team be SDSU or Utah. ESPN/Fox just might prefer SDSU, thinking there is more population in the San Diego area than in all of Utah. Not to mention BYU delivers a pretty big hunk of Utah. (I know exit fee and all that)

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, gatormarc said:

Yes. Just need a simple majority of the 15 to dissolve which would get rid of the exit fee but the GoR would continue to exist.

Maybe the plan is that the GoR is really untenable if there is no ACC and now it's 15 separate deals that have to be dealt with and ESPN will be more willing to negotiate?

Where have you seen that?  If it's anything like the Big 12 bylaws, they would need a "supermajority of disinterested directors" - which means directors that are not trying to leave the conference.

https://frankthetank.org/2022/07/22/dissolution-is-not-a-solution-to-break-a-grant-of-rights-agreement/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Where have you seen that?  If it's anything like the Big 12 bylaws, they would need a "supermajority of disinterested directors" - which means directors that are not trying to leave the conference.

https://frankthetank.org/2022/07/22/dissolution-is-not-a-solution-to-break-a-grant-of-rights-agreement/

I'll have to see if I can find a link to the bylaws, but the ACC doesn't call for any specific vote ratio for dissolution and anything not listed with a specific ratio is a simple majority.

10 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

That is indeed what the TV contracts say. BUT if your the two network stake holders and you were asked. Would you rather the Big12's 16th team be SDSU or Utah. ESPN/Fox just might prefer SDSU, thinking there is more population in the San Diego area than in all of Utah. Not to mention BYU delivers a pretty big hunk of Utah. (I know exit fee and all that)

Yeah, SDSU isn't covered by the pro rata clause in the Big 12 contract, but that only means the networks have to sign off on them specifically.  If Yormark asked them to do so, they might.  

13 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

You can't count the people in Moron Valley in the San Diego metro area because the nickname checks out.  Lulz.

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

If the 4 corner schools leave for the B12, that conference will be about as evenly matched top to bottom as any I can think of.  No powerhouses, and the bottom will still have some cred.

If? The only iffy one looks to be Utah. Appears the Az's are on board, and like I said, fuck Utah. San Diego floats my boat. Unlikely, but...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

I'll have to see if I can find a link to the bylaws, but the ACC doesn't call for any specific vote ratio for dissolution and anything not listed with a specific ratio is a simple majority.

People are saying that is the default North Carolina state law-a majority.

I suspect it would take more than that.  The by-laws have majorities for some things.  I think other things take 2/3.  And the biggest take 3/4.  It doesn't specifically talk about dissolution, but I think it is implied that it takes 3/4.  People are saying its only a majority since it isn't specifically mentioned (ie default to NC state law).

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

Here's the ACC's bylaws.

I see it speaks of the process for what happens when the conference dissolves, but it doesn't list it as a "two-thirds" or "three-fourths" required vote.

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2022/08/2020-21-ACC-Manual-2020-9-17-2.pdf

That seems like they need a 2/3 or 3/4 majority according to Section 1.6 but it is a lot of words and I don't want to invest in figuring our which it is, 8/15 is less than both of those.

....Maybe that is FSU's fraud angle.

Something like "Lots of words, who could be expected to read all thet. Obvious intent to defraud!" Could work in a Florida court and you know it could.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bullet said:

People are saying that is the default North Carolina state law-a majority.

I suspect it would take more than that.  The by-laws have majorities for some things.  I think other things take 2/3.  And the biggest take 3/4.  It doesn't specifically talk about dissolution, but I think it is implied that it takes 3/4.  People are saying its only a majority since it isn't specifically mentioned (ie default to NC state law).

Lol. How do you “imply” something in a contact?

11 minutes ago, Pasken said:

The only argument I could see would be "it takes 3/4 to kick any single member out so it would logically follow that it takes 3/4 to kick everyone out."

It's crazy that dissolution is mentioned but no vote requirements are listed.

By comparison, I don't see dissolution listed anywhere in the SEC bylaws by comparison. Maybe they have a separate doc?

14 minutes ago, Pasken said:

From the link.  Admission, expulsion, amendments require 3/4.  Dissolution is pretty much expulsion and amendments.

The Absolute Three-Fourths Matters are as follows: (i) the admission of new Members to the Conference pursuant to Section 1.4.3, (ii) the expulsion, suspension or probation of a Member pursuant to Section 1.4.4, (iii) any amendment of this Constitution, (iv) any amendment of the Bylaws (except amendments to Article 2.5), and (v) waiver of notice or other required process for a Board meeting pursuant to Section 1.5.1.5.2. 1

19 minutes ago, bullet said:

From the link.  Admission, expulsion, amendments require 3/4.  Dissolution is pretty much expulsion and amendments.

The Absolute Three-Fourths Matters are as follows: (i) the admission of new Members to the Conference pursuant to Section 1.4.3, (ii) the expulsion, suspension or probation of a Member pursuant to Section 1.4.4, (iii) any amendment of this Constitution, (iv) any amendment of the Bylaws (except amendments to Article 2.5), and (v) waiver of notice or other required process for a Board meeting pursuant to Section 1.5.1.5.2. 1

"It's still fraud, though!" sly wink - FSU regents

Edit: left out the knowing wink across the third wall

Edited by Jasper_Jester
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

The only argument I could see would be "it takes 3/4 to kick any single member out so it would logically follow that it takes 3/4 to kick everyone out."

It's crazy that dissolution is mentioned but no vote requirements are listed.

By comparison, I don't see dissolution listed anywhere in the SEC bylaws by comparison. Maybe they have a separate doc?

Maybe there is a Constitution separate from the by-laws.  I didn't read that whole thing.

The NCAA is notorious for having to read other unreferenced sections to understand other sections.

2 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Jason Scheer and some other dude "Mike"

Mike was asked the question about permanent rivals if BIG 12 goes to a 6-3 schedule. Guy said Arizona State and................Utah just cuz everyone hates Utah right now and ........... crickets. So looking at the map who would be the permanent rivals. Even the Texas school don't have who they consider a rival.

F2jszixXcAEgjO6?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Mike was asked the question about permanent rivals if BIG 12 goes to a 6-3 schedule. Guy said Arizona State and................Utah just cuz everyone hates Utah right now and ........... crickets. So looking at the map who would be the permanent rivals. Even the Texas school don't have who they consider a rival.

For Tech, I would want it to be Oklahoma State.  Makes so much sense. We accuse them of stealing our traditions.  We've had some incredible matchups over the years, and at one point it would been the two of us with UT and OU to the Pac12.

I am so upset this year that we aren't playing them.  My sincere hope is we meet in the Big12 Championship game.

2 hours ago, gatormarc said:

We don't know.

Could be Episcopalian.

Two young lads walk into a church and decide they want to be baptized. They look around and the only person they see is a janitor cleaning up. They tell the janitor they'd like to be baptized, and he says, "sure, I'll do it". Janitor takes the boys in the bathroom and dunks them in the toilet, then says, "you're baptized in Jesus's name!". The boys walk out and start talking... first one says, "what denomination do you think we got baptized in to?".  Second boy says, "catholic?". First boy says, "nah. They just dribble some water over your head when you get baptized."  second boy says, "Baptist?". First boy says, "nah... they dunk you in a big tank when you get baptized."  Second boy thinks for a bit and says, "did you smell that water he dunked us in?". First boy said, "yeah...". Second boy said, "I think we're pisscopalians."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

For Tech, I would want it to be Oklahoma State.  Makes so much sense. We accuse them of stealing our traditions.  We've had some incredible matchups over the years, and at one point it would been the two of us with UT and OU to the Pac12.

I am so upset this year that we aren't playing them.  My sincere hope is we meet in the Big12 Championship game.

One can be rattled off for most but not all of these schools but then the second is a struggle and what about the third?

13 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

force rivals

Pod 1

ASU - UA

Utah-BYU

Pod 2

Colrado - Iowa state

Kansas - KSU

Pod 3

OSU - TCU

TTU - Baylor

Pod 4

Houston - Central Florida

Cincy - West V

Edited by nineliveslost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

Every remaining original Big12 school is losing their primary rival with UT leaving.

Episode 8 Nbc GIF by Law & Order

2 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

West Virginia is going to pick their own rival, thank you very much. 

You will find out who that is when they start screaming at them.

I thought West Virginia's rival was the DEA?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4