Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

I wonder if this means that WSU and OSU get to keep the mythical $420m in Pac12 assets since they are the last 2 standing

I'm 99% sure that number was Canzano completely not understanding something. Like he somehow thought that the remaining teams would collect all revenues for the year that would normally be distributed. 

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

Happy for SMU in all this and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do bringing ACC teams to the Hilltop.

I live near the stadium so I'm thrilled seeing teams like Clemson, FSU and North Carolina visit.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Fuck them who gives a shit about their tailgating. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

SMU tailgating is top notch. I’m happy for those folks. 

It's called "Boulevarding" lol 

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

I live near the stadium so I'm thrilled seeing teams like Clemson, FSU and North Carolina visit.

It's called "Boulevarding" lol 

It is. And yes they insist on calling it that. I’ve never seen so many hot chicks and free drinks in my entire life. Second best tailgating scene in Texas. That’s a hill I’ll die on. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I understand how this is suppose to benefit the ACC with them taking money from SMU, Cal, and Stanford and giving it to existing programs, but I think this is going to turn to shit FAST

the cable TV money for "in market" is massively overblown, cable TV is losing subs like wildfire, and sooner than later the money will start to take a hit when that happens and then it will get worse when SMU starts to get something.....all about the time that other conferences will be signing new TV deals while the ACC is still stuck in theirs

in addition I can't see how Cal and Stanford are going to recruit well I don't think that USC and UCLA will play them at all and who knows about Oregon and UW

I think AU, ASU, CU and Utah will either take a pause or they will schedule them in the short term to kick the shit out of them (Utah specifically) and trash their recruiting further

I think that AU, ASU, CU, and Utah can get some recruits out of Texas and doing that will especially improve 3 of them and then that improvement will help them more in California

I think a few MWC teams might line up to schedule them of they think they can beat the shit out of them and that just drives them further down....so their recruiting pitch will be "get thumped in the OOC or play really shitty teams for a win, have hard as fuck academics, and then play conference teams at home that most of our fans have probably barely heard of (because they do not give a shit about college football) or go across the country to get the shit kicked out of yourself by those teams"

yea that will sell

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, gatormarc said:

So how did we get from the UNC Board saying they didn't want to expand to then voting to expand in a matter of hours?

Did someone else flip their vote or did UNC/NCState flip their vote against the wishes of the board?

The UNC board is advisory. The president has the vote. 

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It is. And yes they insist on calling it that. I’ve never seen so many hot chicks and free drinks in my entire life. Second best tailgating scene in Texas. That’s a hill I’ll die on. 

Also if you show your tickets you can get more than free beer. Mi Cocina will give you coupons for free liquor and tacos and quesadillas too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Geographically This move makes more sense than Oregon and Washington joining the B1G

Dallas is over 300 miles closer to the Atlantic than it is to the pacific.

It’s still a 15 hr drive but I mean leave at 4 in the morning and you can be on the coast by probably the 11PM news jf you limit your stops.

Also it’s a COASTAL based conference. Stanford and cal albeit the wrong ocean are basically coastal campuses. I’m really looking forward to the first Cal Vs Virginia match up.

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yet Highland Park draws more fans to attend their games than SMU.   

/CSB

Went to Baylor/SMU game in Dallas about 12 or so years back.  boulevard’d all day, and on my way into the stayjum had to piss really bad.  I just walked into Peruna’s trailer and pissed all over it.  One of the handlers saw me and said “you can’t do that!!”   Told him “fuck you!  Nice dog you got there!” and strolled on into the game.  

/csb

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Adding shitty teams that do not make the conference better is such a weird choice.

yea this probably benefits SMU more than anyone even those in the ACC that will get more momey

SMU is desperate to up their football and with the NIL players do not give a fuck about "athletics budget or how much TV money you get" they give a fuck about how much money they get

Stanford and Cal suck ass and will only get worse I see it as almost impossible this works for them in any sport

and it is not money that has been holding back any members of the ACC up to this point when P5 money was all pretty equal....yes it is about to get unequal, but as aggy shows up spending does not equal results

in a few years when Stanford and Cal gargle cocks and SMU is beating most of the lower half of the ACC in a regular basis and competing with some of the above average programs that will not be a "help" to them it will be a mark against them

2 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Seriously, travel for Cal and Stanford’s non Football sports is going to be awful. Not sure Cal could afford all their current sports now depending on the reduced payout. Bye bye baseball.

It's seriously dumb.  With Stanford on the quarter system, my thoughts are that they should just establish a small satellite campus in Dallas/Houston-- something like the Cooper Center -- and just house the football team from there.  Recruiting inroads in Texas, distance learning best practices - profit.

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

Well,

1) I'm glad to see Cal get in, and

2) I'm glad to see Cal and Stanford can continue playing as conference foes, but

3) Seriously, this is so stupid

I figured this would happen.  But if it dragged on another 2-3 weeks common sense would set in.  The UNC board of trustees and a Raleigh paper had it right.  This is minimal extra revenue--and maybe negative when the contract gets renewed.  Its just not worth it.  Certainly not the Cal/Stanford part.

Final vote was 12-3.  NCSU flipped.  The way Clemson was talking I though they might flip also.

It also made no sense from the Cal/Stanford viewpoint.  They really should have been begging the Big 12 and pointing out to ESPN that they would have to pay for 100%, not just 67% in the Big 12, if they went to the ACC.

Its official now.  Realignment has copied Fonzi.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

It also made no sense from the Cal/Stanford viewpoint.  They really should have been begging the Big 12 and pointing out to ESPN that they would have to pay for 100%, not just 67% in the Big 12, if they went to the ACC.

You seem like you know everything about what Cal/Stanford did to try to survive.  Tell us more.

10 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Geographically This move makes more sense than Oregon and Washington joining the B1G

It’s still a 15 hr drive but I mean leave at 4 in the morning and you can be on the coast by probably the 11PM news jf you limit your stops.

Also it’s a COASTAL based conference. Stanford and cal albeit the wrong ocean are basically coastal campuses. I’m really looking forward to the first Cal Vs Virginia match up.

Geographically, only the SEC moves make sense given they are rooted in history and regionality. Arkansas/Texas share a border. Missouri/Oklahoma/Arkansas all border each other. The SEC looks smarter and smarter with each reactionary realignment move.

SMU's closest conference mate is now I guess Louisville or Georgia Tech? Makes as much sense as WVU joining the Big 12. The only reason that happened was desperation for the Big 12 to stay together. At least with the Big 10 moves, they're gaining 3 great football programs and one incredible basketball program with an upstart football program. Cal and Stanford crossing the country to play Wake Forest or Boston College is just the epitome of ridiculousness that this realignment has brought. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

You seem like you know everything about what Cal/Stanford did to try to survive.  Tell us more.

Its been pretty unanimously reported that Stanford and Cal had no real interest in the Big 12.  One report a few days ago made a comment that the Stanford president had ticked off everyone in the Big 12, including Yormack.  They looked down on the Big 12 schools.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

Its been pretty unanimously reported that Stanford and Cal had no real interest in the Big 12.  One report a few days ago made a comment that the Stanford president had ticked off everyone in the Big 12, including Yormack.  They looked down on the Big 12 schools.

It makes sense from a "we're hanging with other smart schools" standpoint versus the Big 12 where it's what, Kansas, Arizona, and Utah?

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

SMU is a very good fit for multiple reasons - despite football and basketball not quite being up to par yet. We're extremely similar to a school like Wake and our alumni base fits in well with schools like UVA, UNC and Miami. And the travel really isn't that prohibitive - getting in and out of DFW is easy. 

Cal and Stanford is a huge stretch geographically - but then again we already have Rutgers and Penn State in the same conference as LA schools. And outside of geography Stanford is a great - if not better fit than SMU. Cal needs to start giving a shit about athletics again - maybe this will help.

We'll see how long this lasts. FSU, Clempson and UNC will be looking for their earliest possible exit opportunity. If anything this just kicks more dust up. 

Where do osu PNW and wazzu go now?

• Hook 'Em 1