2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

What happens if the school drops the ball and forgets to submit the paperwork?

As long as the player has submitted the paperwork on time, then they still get to enter the portal. The school just gets a limited amount of time to wait to make it public, but they don’t control if a player gets to enter the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Bobby (IT) confirms that Texas does indeed have interest in the 5'11" USC WR Gary Bryant Jr now in the portal.  Bryant won't be graduating until May so will not be transferring until the summer.  Bryant was described as having average speed but is a precise route runner with good hands and the ability to make the tough catch, who after a very good 2021, fell out of favor with Riley and fell down the depth chart with the additions of Jordan Addison and Mario Williams.

Bryant still has three seasons of eligibility

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bobby (IT) confirms that Texas does indeed have interest in the 5'11" USC WR Gary Bryant Jr now in the portal.  Bryant won't be graduating until May so will not be transferring until the summer.  Bryant was described as having average speed but is a precise route runner with good hands and the ability to make the tough catch, who after a very good 2021, fell out of favor with Riley and fell down the depth chart with the additions of Jordan Addison and Mario Williams.

Hope he has long arms at 5'11" if they want length and cna stretch the field

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin had previously said that Bryant isn't 'that' guy.  He said ideally they would have liked two WRs out of the portal and one of them would have been a longer guy who could stretch the field.  Bryant would be an add as a solid all-around WR.

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is getting overblown. The top 5 WRs in receiving yards are 6'1" or shorter. You dont need to be 6'4" to stretch the field. You have to be able to win 50/50 balls and track the football well. Its not like we will watch the playoff game this weekend between Bills and Bengals and the both teams will refuse to throw deep balls to Chase and Diggs, because they are only 6 feet tall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is getting overblown. The top 5 WRs in receiving yards are 6'1" or shorter. You dont need to be 6'4" to stretch the field. You have to be able to win 50/50 balls and track the football well. Its not like we will watch the playoff game this weekend between Bills and Bengals and the both teams will refuse to throw deep balls to Chase and Diggs, because they are only 6 feet tall. 

Just reposting what IT staff is writing.  Per their sources Sark is looking for a little variety in his WR's (similar to his desire to recruit 'different' types of backs). 

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Calm down man, I said what I said in gest.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like we struck out on the 3 that CTJ said were possibilities. If they want to stick with their schools, not much we can do. I may be forgetting someone but the only WR who actually entered the portal that I would have loved to get was Dont’e Thornton from Oregon who went to Tennessee.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Looks like we struck out on the 3 that CTJ said were possibilities. If they want to stick with their schools, not much we can do. I may be forgetting someone but the only WR who actually entered the portal that I would have loved to get was Dont’e Thornton from Oregon who went to Tennessee.  

Not saying any of them were possibilities - but there were a few WRs that would have been nice to have.  But - it sure looks like Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore are much more ready to play as true freshman than last years pair of WR recruits - so if the shit does hit the fan they won't be completely overwhelmed and Texas won't be fucked if they have to play.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not saying any of them were possibilities - but there were a few WRs that would have been nice to have.  But - it sure looks like Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore are much more ready to play as true freshman than last years pair of WR recruits - so if the shit does hit the fan they won't be completely overwhelmed and Texas won't be fucked if they have to play.

Yeah, I’m not raging about it or anything. More a comment on how the portal landscape has evolved. Everyone (not just our $9.95’ers) thought there would be a ton of big names jumping in and switching teams, especially at WR. Turns out all that background stuff they were hearing just led to the best players getting locked up by their schools, and there were very few true upgrade options who actually entered. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It would’ve been nice to get a quality WR, but it’s always going to be a challenge to get a WR (or any transfer player) to come here without a guaranteed starting spot. We have Neyor, Jwhitt and Worthy as our starters next year. Singer’s about the only guy I can think of who might be able to crack that top 3, and it wouldn’t be a guarantee for him. 

Like you said, having Cook, Moore, and Niblett as freshman will help a lot. Cook is ready to play and Moore and Niblett are way closer to playing than Brenen Thompson was last year. Thompson was highly rated, but he was super raw. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I'd like to see Thompson get a few deep targets early this year. If only to find out if he can get the separation we all assume he can, then actually track and catch the ball. If those things happen, he alone will represent a key upgrade over 2022. Anything deep from Neyor and/or the true freshmen likewise would have us in great shape, but I still want to see what Thompson can do. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

According to his 247 page, Bryant ran a verified 4.46 40-yard dash at the 2019 Opening regional event.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin had previously said that Bryant isn't 'that' guy.  He said ideally they would have liked two WRs out of the portal and one of them would have been a longer guy who could stretch the field.  Bryant would be an add as a solid all-around WR.

I was about to poo-poo Bryant as a portal take becuz I look at him strictly as a back-up to the guys UT was waiting on, but after looking at his 247 rankings, verified times, & scouting report on his 247 page, he's definitely a take. No guarantee he end up at UT becuz there will definitely be competition.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Singer would have been an excellent take IMO.

53 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'd like to see Thompson get a few deep targets early this year. If only to find out if he can get the separation we all assume he can, then actually track and catch the ball. If those things happen, he alone will represent a key upgrade over 2022. Anything deep from Neyor and/or the true freshmen likewise would have us in great shape, but I still want to see what Thompson can do. 

If Thompson was displaying those traits in practice I think we would have seen him get that opportunity on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

18 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

If Thompson was displaying those traits in practice I think we would have seen him get that opportunity on the field.

Yeah Thompson is a raw catch & run WR who played TX H.S. FB at the 3A level. I've never expected him to be go-to deep threat WR early in his career & the UT fans online who did aren't being realistic at all.

• Fuck You 1