Road Trip 2018: @Maryland (FedEx Field) Sept. 1st - Labor Day Weekend

mdmost

Got in last night after 2 days of driving, often through tons of rain.  Austin might be sucking it with rain as usual for the summer, but the Southeast is having one of its rainiest summers ever.  Visited a buddy in Charlottesville before getting to D.C. last night, man the rain just let loose.  Anyway, arr. in C.P. and will be here for over 3 weeks.  Yay.

I'll be at the tailgate tomorrow a.m.  I think I have an extra ticket for that I'll give away if anyone needs it (you obviously need a game ticket to get into the UT-ex event).  PM me or reply here.

Anyone going to the tailgate, I'll be the guy in the burnt orange shirt with "Texas" on it.  Okay, I'll also be wearing a Tom Kite style Panama golf hat (keep the sun out should that happen).

Let's play some football!  However no booze before 9 a.m.  9:30?  Great.  But not 9.

Hook 'em!

Edited by phdhorn

On 8/30/2018 at 7:57 AM, Bateshorn said:

All that's been redeveloped, bro.  It's pricey hi-rises and such now.  The seafood joints like Captain White's are still there, but surrounded by upscale restaurants and bars.

The premium crab joint on this side of the Bay is Cantlers, out near Annapolis.  But it will cost you.

Figures.  Haven't been there since the 90's.  There also used to be some good little seafood restaurants tucked in that street just off the railroad tracks near Independence and 7th.  I'm sure those are long gone, too.

Another good place for crabs now though is The Pier over on Route 2 in Crownsville, had 'em about a year back.  But yeah, D.C. proper wasn't known for it bushel-crack-eat crabs outside of Maine Ave.  To my knowledge, there wasn't much in the city, if anywhere, to go for the down-home style (usually way, way too overpriced anyway).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Figures.  Haven't been there since the 90's.  There also used to be some good little seafood restaurants tucked in that street just off the railroad tracks near Independence and 7th.  I'm sure those are long gone, too.

Another good place for crabs now though is The Pier over on Route 2 in Crownsville, had 'em about a year back.  But yeah, D.C. proper wasn't known for it bushel-crack-eat crabs outside of Maine Ave.  To my knowledge, there wasn't much in the city, if anywhere, to go for the down-home style (usually way, way too overpriced anyway).

That's correct.  There are places around town where you can order some crabs to crack and eat, but the price is outrageous.  Prolly cheaper to go to the Capitol Grille or Charlie Palmer Steak and blow it out.

Night one in the books

W for drinks to start

Then dinner around the corner

Closed the night at W rooftop

Have some work today and then it is off to Nats game.

Hook 'em bitches

Cannot wait for the game tomorrow. The long national nightmare of no UT football is almost over.

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin O’Shea said:

I know it’s touristy, but is Old Ebbitt Grill good? Considering hitting it up for lunch on Sunday or Monday betweeen meusems. 

Went last night and enjoyed it. Meatloaf was good and it had a nice atmosphere

2 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

I know it’s touristy, but is Old Ebbitt Grill good? Considering hitting it up for lunch on Sunday or Monday betweeen meusems. 

It's great.  Do it.

I'm here with wife (no pics, I'll cut you man), daughter (no pics I'll cut you worse), her dude, his family, son, 84 year old dad.  Party of 10 going to the game tomorrow.  Headed this morning to the National Portrait Gallery.  McCain's body is lying in State at the Capitol.  Funeral is tomorrow.  this place is going to be a zoo.

Hook 'em.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:37 AM, mdleast said:

Any recs for craft beer/beer nerdy bars in the Georgetown area? When I go out of town I try to only drink good beers I can’t get here in Texas. If helpful for location reference I’m also looking to swing by the Exorcist steps. I see The Tombs nearby but am not very impressed with their selection.

Insufferable beer nerd out

http://thesovereigndc.com/

is in the heart of georgetown. awesome beer menu.

• Like 1

Um first time, long time. 

Live in Pennsylvania and stoked to be taking Mrs. Ace to her first Texas game. We bought cheap suite level tickets last night (damn parking is actually more expensive.) 

I’ll be the guy in section 304 in a burnt orange 2005 title shirt on, wife in a burnt orange dress. 

We are east Texas natives (but SFA grads), moved up here for jobs a few years ago. But burnt orange and Shiner run through our veins.   

Weather should be ok, maybe a spotty shower but it shouldn’t cause much issues. Tons of rain today though so the RGIII Memorial Field might be* a shitshow.  

Looking forward to kicking some turtle ass tmrw.

* it will be, FedEx is a ginormous dump

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TxEx84 said:

Also looking for sports bar recs for downtown area (near Metro Center Station) post game and Sat night.  Has anyone been to Proper 21 or Mackey's Public House?

Mackey's is alright.  Froggy Bottom isn't too far away as well but Mackey's has more atmosphere.  If you're younger, the Front Page.  Duffys off U shouldn't be too crowded.  Lots of local brewery's here.  I like franklins which is closer to UMD.  

3 hours ago, smwhorn said:

It's great.  Do it.

I'm here with wife (no pics, I'll cut you man), daughter (no pics I'll cut you worse), her dude, his family, son, 84 year old dad.  Party of 10 going to the game tomorrow.  Headed this morning to the National Portrait Gallery.  McCain's body is lying in State at the Capitol.  Funeral is tomorrow.  this place is going to be a zoo.

Hook 'em.

get in line before 8pm tonight which is the cutoff to see McCain.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, smwhorn said:

It's great.  Do it.

Hook 'em.

good museum.  You're also near the Ford Theater museum which is really good as well.  Go all the way up in the Smithsonian American Art Museum.  The top is really nice.  Also, the naive art collection is pretty interesting.  Especially the tinfoil wrapped throne.

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Night one in the books

W for drinks to start

Then dinner around the corner

Closed the night at W rooftop

Have some work today and then it is off to Nats game.

Hook 'em bitches

Cannot wait for the game tomorrow. The long national nightmare of no UT football is almost over.

you can get $5 Nats tix 2 hours before game.  Hell, they stink this year so could probably get them pretty cheap anyways.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:41 AM, mdmost said:

Good places to eat/bars in Foggy Bottom where we're staying?

you're right at GWU.  Cheaper drinks at Tonic and check out Hive bar.  Also G Street Food is pretty good but closes at 4pm.  Get the fries.  

Edited by Mdhorn

Saw a few burnt orange clad folks at the Ritz Carlton in Pentagon City this morning on the way to work.

My wife and I have been doing the non-conference away game for a few years now (Ole Miss, Notre Dame, Cal) and it's weird not having to travel for the game.  It's hard to tell if there is a big group of Texas fans around when you are not in the most touristy areas.  Hope to see a bunch of you at the Tailgate tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

See you fellers at the Txex tailgate after 9.  Wearing the burnt orange Texas shirt (with the state outline in the background), straw looking Tom Kite style panama hat, black shorts.  
Doubt they'll have name tags there, but I suggest we maybe write UIHB (u in her butt)  on it to identify surlyers along with your fake name to head off trouble.

Bring a pancho or your rubbers, chances are good it's gonna rain.  Oh, and you're gonna sweat and not stop sweating.  Maryland humidity >>>>>>>>>>> Texas humidity.

My 200+ consecutive game streak ended last year when my wife had a pregnancy scare the day I was supposed to fly to West Virginia. She was OK, and now I have an 8 week old who will be watching his first Horns game tomorrow from my lap in our basement. I'm a little sad not to be in D.C., but it's OK. I'll make all the home games this year and hopefully a couple roadies as well,  and of course I wouldn't miss OU for anything. Hook em!

58 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

See you fellers at the Txex tailgate after 9.  Wearing the burnt orange Texas shirt (with the state outline in the background), straw looking Tom Kite style panama hat, black shorts.  
Doubt they'll have name tags there, but I suggest we maybe write UIHB (u in her butt)  on it to identify surlyers along with your fake name to head off trouble.

Bring a pancho or your rubbers, chances are good it's gonna rain.  Oh, and you're gonna sweat and not stop sweating.  Maryland humidity >>>>>>>>>>> Texas humidity.

FCB is less letters

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

FCB is less letters

True, if 5 billion people wrote that instead of UIHB, the world would save 10 gallons of magic marker ink per year.

Anyway I might write something Surly on a nametag.  Bump into me and say hi.  NOt that kind of bump.  I only play against the opposite team.

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You guys in DC might want to check out Chatter (formally known as Chad's - I think).

Tony Kornheiser, Gary Williams (former Maryland basketball coach) and Maury Povich are owners.

Sports bar with really good food.

https://www.chatterdc.com/

haven't been yet--if we win, maybe tomorrow night. My wife listens religiously. 

57 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

What’s the Texas section for the game tomorrow?  Anyone know?

The main ones that I know of are124-126.  There's also a smaller block that somewhere in the upper tier.

I have two tickets in 226 which is right in back of the three Texas sections. There should be plenty of Texas fans around that general area.

The"Maryland" side is the other side predominantly. I'm pretty sure Texas sideline is in front of those three UT sections and Maryland's is on the opposite side of the field.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So she is a TK Little?

I have been listening to TK for twenty years now.

One of the best podcasts on the air.

yes, she is a loyal listener.  I turned her on to TK when I moved here in 2000, as well as John Thompson.  Now she's a loyal TK podcaster.

Edited by Mdhorn

35 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The main ones that I know of are124-126.  There's also a smaller block that somewhere in the upper tier.

I have two tickets in 226 which is right in back of the three Texas sections. There should be plenty of Texas fans around that general area.

The"Maryland" side is the other side predominantly. I'm pretty sure Texas sideline is in front of those three UT sections and Maryland's is on the opposite side of the field.

just go to the UMD site and see what tix they are selling--that's the MD side.  I expect it will be a hell of a lot of Texas fans.