The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

7 hours ago, davidg said:

So $160k+ now I imagine.

I'm sure I could have gotten there with options at that time. Like I said, the one I spec'd was pretty damn tame and was still oof.  Think I'll keep mine that is still sort of fast (70) and takes chop multitudes better than anything daddys money ES has ever popped out the mold.    I do get sort of jelly when they pass me in the ditch like I'm standing still at 70.  But we catch back up when they grab that shoreline as soon as the ditch opens up.  Pretty good boats, but for that money I'm buying an Islamorada.

• Like 1

“Hey baby do you mind if I go home while you put up the boat?”

“Nope”

the @Sbbruin school of sailing, lesson number 1 - take the alone time. 

this is the time of year when lake Travis feels like Santa Barbara. Anyone not sticking around the marina at twilight hasn’t figured it out.

9D41002F-E2EA-440C-AE81-E0D0B7AA26F3.jpeg

559367FC-38DC-4D7C-8C92-419DA27C38CC.jpeg

C517DBA1-8152-484E-8422-1C891EE2AB02.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Didn’t want to ruin my vibe yesterday dwelling on it but we lost the jib sail under way. I finished a tack and was settled back in and all of a sudden the jib sail was loose in the wind. The jib sheet broke off from the tack. Old boats gonna do old boat things. I stared for a second trying to think of what to do (start the engine first? Maneuver into the wind first? Secure the jib sail first? About 2 seconds went by and I simply pulled the jib sail back in, secured the furling line in the cleat and sailed with just the main. Luckily we had good wind, sadly it was going to be our best day sailing had we not lost the jib sail. 

2F84F58B-5E12-483E-BD52-30DE319DE742.jpeg

FCFE91A2-97D8-495F-B2C1-64C482211A47.jpeg

looks like the loops were added after the grommet failed on the tack a looong time ago. We are deciding this fall and winter if we want to stay in this old boat - probably - instead of upgrading and if we do we will likely replace the sails all together. They are old, patched, new pinpoint holes appearing, etc.  With an eye on the prize - blue water cruiser a new boat on the lake makes little sense. We are in this one for $3500 and $2000 of that is for the new outboard. With our sailing club we have access to larger boats 35-40 feet if we feel the need. $500 for a day on a big boat is much smarter than dropping $100,000 on a 35-40 lake rigged Benny.

Edited by troph

So, generally it's just called the jib, without adding sail. What broke is the clew, the tack is the front attachment point.

I would definitely recommend replacing the sail. Yeah, you could fix it, but the fabric is obviously pretty worn and would most likely give again.

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

So, generally it's just called the jib, without adding sail. What broke is the clew, the tack is the front attachment point.

I would definitely recommend replacing the sail. Yeah, you could fix it, but the fabric is obviously pretty worn and would most likely give again.

Dammit to hell I even went back to my glossary. The vocab is THE biggest barrier to entry. Talked to the sail repair / replace guys they were clearly patient and accommodating to my novice terminology. 

they definitely need to be replaced, but I’m only a co-owner and my other half is a miser. Unless cost makes sense we will fix and then get a new jib next year once we decide to stay in this one.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Dammit to hell I even went back to my glossary. The vocab is THE biggest barrier to entry. Talked to the sail repair / replace guys they were clearly patient and accommodating to my novice terminology. 

they definitely need to be replaced, but I’m only a co-owner and my other half is a miser. Unless cost makes sense we will fix and then get a new jib next year once we decide to stay in this one.

Yeah I mean it can definitely be fixed. It's just throwing good money after bad

Sail shop said it had plenty of life left, they are going to repair. Said the UV cover was fairly new. Pretty obvious I’m a noob when I was exited to have taken the sail down and folded it properly. took a while to figure it out. Everything is still a new experience. Down for 1-2 weeks.  Boo. 

Edited by troph

18 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

sail shop referenced above is slowwww. They care more about boat covers and awnings than fixing sails. 

Yep them. They say 1-2 weeks. I hope it’s not longer. 😕

Were y’all out Sunday doing racing things? Ton of sailboats going back and forth fast as we cut through to the north / north west side going 4 knots to our friends’ home. Easily doubled that around sunset coming back before the jib sheet snapped off the clew. <— I’m a learner G650.

15 hours ago, troph said:

Yep them. They say 1-2 weeks. I hope it’s not longer. 😕

Were y’all out Sunday doing racing things? Ton of sailboats going back and forth fast as we cut through to the north / north west side going 4 knots to our friends’ home. Easily doubled that around sunset coming back before the jib sheet snapped off the clew. <— I’m a learner G650.

What boat is it. I will get you pushed up. sail shop referenced above is a pos, but I am childhood friends with some of his help.  I can tell them to get it done faster. I just need an identifier for the sail. No dox per our previous convos. Sail 4 life.

14 hours ago, davidg said:

Just get you one of these, a needle, some patch cloth and thread, then get after it Troph.  Not gonna be a sail repair shop out on the deep blue.

338835.jpg

Yeah that repair needs a whole lot more than this. But it is a start. 

12 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

What boat is it. I will get you pushed up. sail shop referenced above is a pos, but I am childhood friends with some of his help.  I can tell them to get it done faster. I just need an identifier for the sail. No dox per our previous convos. Sail 4 life.

Yeah that repair needs a whole lot more than this. But it is a start. 

Dm me

On 11/8/2021 at 7:52 AM, G650 said:

Yeah I mean it can definitely be fixed. It's just throwing good money after bad

Not necessarily.  If there’s a decent sail loft in the area, take it to them to look at.  I’ve gotten LOTS of mileage out of repaired sails, repairs of which can run $0.10 on the dollar compared to replacement.   They can rebuild that tack for a couple hundred.  

11 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Not necessarily.  If there’s a decent sail loft in the area, take it to them to look at.  I’ve gotten LOTS of mileage out of repaired sails, repairs of which can run $0.10 on the dollar compared to replacement.   They can rebuild that tack for a couple hundred.  

I mean, I've had innumerable sails repaired. But if the clew is giving way there is only so much life left in the sail. You can certainly patch it up, and with enough webbing and stitches your sail will hold but the shape is going to be very compromised.

Anyhoo, about time for Miami Nassau again. Upwind once more, fml.

20211110-113358.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

That looks fast. What speed are you doing?

Do your crew fly home after the race or do you bring the boat back to the states with them?

I need to arrange to be in Miami early November next year so I can get a ride during the shake down sail before the race. 😀

5 hours ago, G650 said:

A little footage from practice on Wednesday with our A0 up. Unfortunately the race was literally 100% upwind.

I pos’repped you for content but I want to neg rep the shit out of you for taking a portrait video.  Turn your fucking phone sideways and give us more.  Thank you and please.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

That looks fast. What speed are you doing?

Do your crew fly home after the race or do you bring the boat back to the states with them?

Eh, about 15 knots or so. Sliding along pretty nice on a reach. It gets a little more hairy downwind when we start touching 20s on boat speed.

Usually 2 or 3 of the guys bring the boat back to West Palm after the races for this series. We flew home this morning and I imagine the delivery boys are somewhere in the New Providence channel right now heading toward Great Issac.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I need to arrange to be in Miami early November next year so I can get a ride during the shake down sail before the race. 😀

Damn right you should.

Also have to give a shoutout to @ChiTownDocfor helping me out with some first world problems on this trip.

15 minutes ago, davidg said:

I pos’repped you for content but I want to neg rep the shit out of you for taking a portrait video.  Turn your fucking phone sideways and give us more.  Thank you and please.

Hey I'm driving the boat, take it up with my dipshit friend that was filming. I will pass along the constructive criticism though. I'd like the record to show that the videos I have taken that I posted are sideways...

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Eh, about 15 knots or so. Sliding along pretty nice on a reach. It gets a little more hairy downwind when we start touching 20s on boat speed.

Usually 2 or 3 of the guys bring the boat back to West Palm after the races for this series. We flew home this morning and I imagine the delivery boys are somewhere in the New Providence channel right now heading toward Great Issac.

Damn right you should.

Also have to give a shoutout to @ChiTownDocfor helping me out with some first world problems on this trip.

Hey I'm driving the boat, take it up with my dipshit friend that was filming. I will pass along the constructive criticism though. I'd like the record to show that the videos I have taken that I posted are sideways...

You guys are world class.  Literally.  W yachting these guys are at the highest levels.  

edit: I mean americas cup shit.  Not sure that got across.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Ironically we were decorating our tree last night and when we went to get the angel (let the "star" v "angel" debate begin, found she had broken in half in the storage container.  Just saw this brilliant idea as a replacement.

spacer.png

I just saw that on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Whoopsie. Would love the know the story of how this happened. Drunk? Asleep? Christmas blowjob?

yacht.thumb.jpg.bbe43511c75a3ea899f66a57849971a6.jpg

tanker.thumb.jpg.dc1f3d627fee3cfef11639b2ca7e85ce.jpg

"Maritime Management LLC, based here, has reported that a ship under the company's management, the M/T Tropic Breeze, was struck last night at 22:03 p.m. by the super yacht M/Y Utopia IV approximately 15 miles NNW of New Providence Island, The Bahamas. The 160-foot tanker was traveling on its proper watch en route to Great Stirrup Cay when it was rear-ended by the 207-foot super yacht. The catastrophic force of the collision pierced the stern of the tanker causing the tanker to sink to the ocean floor at an estimated depth of 2000 feet.

Fortunately, the crew of the Tropic Breeze were uninjured, have been rescued and safely returned to a company-owned facility on shore."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mt-tropic-breeze-struck-by-mega-yacht-utopia-iv-and-sinks-off-the-coast-of-new-providence-island-301450791.html?fbclid=IwAR3maHBGARbpf1Rwj-I4WlkI402PrBuxdId34wZLWSFYRH0DBlHv9UdTbAw

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm back, I see my ignore list needs to be updated (f the haters), we had a great time in BVI over thanksgiving.  long story, lots of pics and videos. had to kick a machismo captain to the curb but our mutiny on the 45 foot cat was ultimately successful, we took it as our own and sailed the nursery school waters of the BVIs like we owned the place.  got up to 9 knots at 35-40 degrees into the wind (apparent wind was 18-22 knots) sailing a school bus of a yacht. even got the girl to show some leg, though she wouldn't fully lift her skirt.  manuvered around in that twin diesel under power like I'd been there before, super, super easy.  I'm actually excited to see what this means going forward...

just finished key west too on my client's hatty.  another great trip the guy has the right idea.  we dove on our own off his boat as well. had a great time, the marina life is absolutely how we want to do this. key west food scene was surprisingly good.  the music scene was surprisingly bad. We are infinitely spoiled here in Austin with food and music.  we found there wasn't much to do after water sports - we did some fly fishing, diving, sunset cruising, off shore fishing, marina people/boat watching.  maybe it's just where we are in life.  that said, there is so much to do around the water, we really, really enjoyed it.  definitely going back. looks like the boat will be in Islamorada though which is fine by me.  looks like I'm getting roped into a fishing tourney too this summer on the boat.  no complaints.

ended the trip in Miami seeing friends, definitely over that scene though a day or two in south beach low-key is hard to complain about.

looks like we will do the BVIs with another couple and our kids as soon as school is out. diving, this time anegada and even some fishing. pretty cool scene in the BVIs actually. still recovering. Oil nut bay and bitter end coming online while we were there and shortly after.  looking forward to more development prior to our return.  soggy dollar was overrated btw. loved soper's hole and saba rock.  for a variety of reasons we missed the north side of tortola, mostly related to how the mutiny played out.

speaking of how easy that twin diesel was at sub 8 knots and maneuvering in tight spots, thinking about a trawler for the san juans soon too, but soon probably means 2023 as we have our trip to Tahiti planned for march, been postponed twice now for covid. looks like some amalfi coast action too in september, scouting out our retirement anchorage spots on a small ship cruise.

met some really cool cruisers at the marinas over xmas and new years.  inspired. not sure what direction we will go, but need that saltwater cruiser in 2-3 years I know that.  still enamored with the new oysters (I hear you g650), but I've been eyeing the moody ds 54 the last few weeks.  looks like a great florida, ICW, gulf, bahamas cruiser actually. new are 2 years out, none used that I can tell. will need an interim boat first if we pull the trigger, maybe a used hanse 40-45.  who knows.  cats seem too much for US waters, ideal for anchoring in the Caribbean. not sure we need that much space though. my gf probably won't do too many overnights so coastal cruising is likely our limit, though I guarantee you I'll convince one of my sons to blue water cruise with me.

boat pron...

ds 54

ds54-1.jpg

ds54-2.jpg

ds54-3.jpg

I love the instrument layout on the helm stations, and there is a nav station in the saloon that would allow monitoring and auto pilot adjustment from inside.  for comfort this seems rad.  but it's fully automatic, can't tell if there is any manual override, all lines are basically hidden to a point where you really don't see them at all, and it has a self-tacking jib system.  I do think a lot of the fun of sailing may be taken out of it by this set up.

that said, they nail the deck saloon concept.  the bulwark is a really nice feature, as is same level living when we start talking about sailing with our puppy. He's 2 and will be 4-5 when we acquire such a boat so it's something to pay attention to.  funny reading on the forums how much salty dogs hate the sliders.  it's a monohull cat, by design. that's what's awesome about it.  when I do the ARC across the atlantic, I doubt it will be in one of these though.  boats are inherently compromises.  I can see why this has a lot of appeal for a life in the Caribbean or Med cruising around from wine and dinner spot to another wine and dinner spot, with virtually none on the used market right now.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Was about to put out an apb on you @troph.  Glad you were just off living the good  life. 

re-evaluated for a month plus whether I wanted to stick around.  threats and other bullshit that I only get here made me really wonder what the fuck I was doing here, my days still may be numbered, who knows still pretty pissed about it all. the boat, RV and fishing threads are gold though, hard to leave those behind.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

re-evaluated for a month plus whether I wanted to stick around.  threats and other bullshit that I only get here made me really wonder what the fuck I was doing here, my days still may be numbered, who knows still pretty pissed about it all. the boat, RV and fishing threads are gold though, hard to leave those behind.

Fuck people like that.  You make this place better.  Stick around.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1