The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

3 hours ago, Atxracer said:

That is a reasonable bill for that many line items.  

Maiden voyage is done and looks like one of the two best days of boat ownership is behind me.  But, I do miss being on the lake.  Have all the boat toys coming and will spend as much time on there while I can this fall.  

In re the thruster, I have driven these quite a bit so can live without it. But, it would be very nice when maneuvering in the channels of the marina where there is not a ton of room on either side when rotating it.  

Now, if any of you all know speakers, it has 2 Klipsch's on the tower and would like more up there. The Klipsch's don't seem that loud.  Any idea if I should get two more of them (which are ridiculously expensive for what they are) or remove the two I have and put four wet sounds up there?

Not sure just adding more speakers or changing them will help, you might need to increase the power of the amp that's driving them.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Looks like 2 pairs of them, a new amp and a new sub is the way to go.  Thanks for the input.  

Two pairs will rock your face off.  I have 2 and have had people swim out from shore and politely ask me to turn them down a bit.  400 yards

Edited by Cajun

^^Not sure what is powering what.  There’s two big subs too.  

It’s kinda like what Oddball said to an angry Kelly when the Sherman broke down and he was eating cheese, drinking wine, and catching some rays - “Oh I just drive ‘em, I don’t know what makes them work”.

That’s me with sound systems.

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Judging by the number of RCA cables (inputs), the bigger amp is probably a multi-channel amp driving the tower speakers and any mid/high-end speakers in the boat. The smaller amp is likely a class D mono amp powering the subs. 

My ignorant ass was guessing that, but it was just that, a guess.

There are 8 wetsounds hull speakers, I believe.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

I need to up my system game in a big way, but the $$$ always goes somewhere else. And I hate adding weight. That may be the capex for ‘23 tho. 

Eta: also, gotdamn so jelly how clean freshwater, non-fishing boats stay.  My wiring is done correct, and clean af,  it’ll never be that pristine under there. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Just now, Cajun said:

@fattyflattieHa!  I literally just saw a tshirt for sale in the Canyon Lake marina.  Said something like, “Canyon Lake - Sodium Free Boat Life”

Hits close to home…

This is 100% true.  I wash and light detail my boat after every trip.  Do a major detail every 3-6 months.  If something is broken, it’s fixed immediately.  

BUT after my little trip to canyon, felt like it “healed” the boat.  Felt like it put 5 years back on its life.  Some things I was keeping an eye on for replacement soon started acting like brand new.  Just amazing. Fountain of youth over there. 

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Not possible. Too loud and it just spills over into the cheap states.

If you're out in the middle of the ocean, make all the noise you want, but I don't get the loud ass speakers while cruising around a lake in town around a bunch of other people.  It's like the douchebags who clip bluetooth speakers to their jackets while they ski so we all get to hear their shitty music (yes, these people exist). 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

If you're out in the middle of the ocean, make all the noise you want, but I don't get the loud ass speakers while cruising around a lake in town around a bunch of other people.  It's like the douchebags who clip bluetooth speakers to their jackets while they ski so we all get to hear their shitty music (yes, these people exist). 

I’m familiar.

Next time y’all come to CR we will give you the show. Bridge speakers are great but I’m afraid cockpit speakers are completely blown. Still gets the job done you just have to crank it if we are running. My music is shitty anyway so you probably don’t want to hear it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I guess you guys don't do the whole 'being outside to enjoy nature' thing, eh?  Please keep your noise in Texas.

I don’t think it travels as far as advertised.  I rarely hear other people’s music. Mine is off unless we are underway between fishing spots, or are at a sandbar with the fam.  I typically sandbar on weekdays as not to hear 50 other boats with competing music, and family time/friendly is the goal.  But I can say I’m pretty sure I’m not bothering anyone while underway in the ditch, even if I had the equipment to bother someone (my speakers are puny).  I’d also like to add Ive been negative affected 100x more by jetskis in every facet than anyone’s music. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t think it travels as far as advertised.  I rarely hear other people’s music. Mine is off unless we are underway between fishing spots, or are at a sandbar with the fam.  I typically sandbar on weekdays as not to hear 50 other boats with competing music, and family time/friendly is the goal.  But I can say I’m pretty sure I’m not bothering anyone while underway in the ditch, even if I had the equipment to bother someone (my speakers are puny).  I’d also like to add Ive been negative affected 100x more by jetskis in every facet than anyone’s music. 

Interior speakers do not, tower speakers on the other hand are designed and set up to project sound. It is one thing I’ve never owned. Not a big music guy anyways, but I never wanted the extra weight on the tower and also did not want them in the way when moving around.

Wife's friend's birthday today so took them and 8 other 40-50ish latina females on the boat today. Boys wanted to go too but I told them that they could go when the women are done. So I drove the boat down to the lake, parked, put the drain plug in the middle of the boat in, placed the rear train plug on the swim deck, undid the back straps, took the tube off the boat thinking the women would not want to tube and backed the boat into the lake. After entering the water I realized I never put the drain plug in the back. Slowly as I could I pulled the boat out of the water, throw it in park, walk back to the boat, and thankfully the drain plug is still sitting on the swim deck. Wait 5 minutes for the boat to drain, put the plug in and headed out to the lake for a shakedown cruise. 

Boat seemed to be good, no leaks noted,  and a few minutes later wife was on the shore and had the tube with her on the dock. I pull up to the dock and the wife says "10 minutes" and I tell her ok, I'm going back out to the center of the lake and tell me when they are ready and I'll come back. She then claims 2 minutes and I tell her ok, lets get all the stuff on the boat. Several 40-50yo women go tubing, we swim for a while at bull creek and everyone had a good time.

Pretty sure when I get to hell my punishment for all eternity is going to be driving a boat with a bunch of 40-50yo latina women. 

• Haha 5

22 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I guess you guys don't do the whole 'being outside to enjoy nature' thing, eh?  Please keep your noise in Texas.

Yes, because we have it turned to 11 the entire time we are on the water.  The music is never off.  Ever.  

You must not do the whole 'enjoy nature' thing either, eh?

I mean, you're on a computer, right?

Edited by Cajun

According to the Googles, Wetsounds has sold tower speakers in just about every single state.

Maybe you and your baby ears should write them a stongly worded note @Chewbacca.  I'd think you have to.  Glad you're enjoying nature tonight here posting on Surly.  Lulz.

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, Cajun said:
 Yes, because we have it turned to 11 the entire time we are on the water.  The music is never off.  Ever.  
You must not do the whole 'enjoy nature' thing either, eh?
I mean, you're on a computer, right?

Lulz. Just keep your loud ass in TX. Don't bring that shit up here.

Wake surfing we boom, not sure I call that being in nature. Sailing I can go either way but if there’s music it can’t be loud. Any other outdoor activity generally no music needed, in fact it detracts. You won’t see me in the mountains or on a stream or wading the flats with music. 

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=1769]Chewbacca[/mention]Lulz.  
Or what?
You know you can be quiet in nature, right? Bragging that someone swam 400 yards to ask you to turn down your music isn't the flex you think it is. It's just rude and inconsiderate of others.
Wake surfing we boom, not sure I call that being in nature. Sailing I can go either way but if there’s music it can’t be loud. Any other outdoor activity generally no music needed, in fact it detracts. You won’t see me in the mountains or on a stream or wading the flats with music. 
Sounds like Cajun is running his amp at 11 the entire time he's on the water.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You know you can be quiet in nature, right? Bragging that someone swam 400 yards to ask you to turn down your music isn't the flex you think it is. It's just rude and inconsiderate of others. Sounds like Cajun is running his amp at 11 the entire time he's on the water.

Flex?  Yeah, no.

You are confused easily, so I'll just let you marinate in the idiocy you've already displayed here on this thread.

The last bolded sentence just puts the cherry on top of your monument to ignorance.  Talk about extrapolating an entire story out of a grain of information.

@Chewbacca

Since you seem very confused, this...

was sarcasm.

And, by the way, the girl who swam out was just butthurt because my Wetsounds were drowning out the jam box she had cranked up on shore.  This was a Canyon Lake High bimbo, not someone out coming her armpit hair and enjoying the Universe.  I didn't see them there until she got within 50 yards of the boat or so.  Shit loads of people swim out and yell, "Crank it up!" or they ask if they can hang on the boat.  

Not everyone is baby ears like you kiddo.

Edited by Cajun

8 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Flex?  Yeah, no.

You are confused easily, so I'll just let you marinate in the idiocy you've already displayed here on this thread.

The last bolded sentence just puts the cherry on top of your monument to ignorance.  Talk about extrapolating an entire story out of a grain of information.

Every video you've posted has had music blaring in it.  If the shoe fits...

6 hours ago, troph said:

What a refreshingly intelligent post.  Thank you.

Much needed here.

I think what our Wooky friend here is missing is that he thinks the videos I post represent 100% of the time on the water and then also compounds that distortion of reality by not understanding that most of those videos are done with the tower speaker completely off.  Sure, in the video it sounds loud and, in fact, inside the boat it's a fairly high volume, but to someone a couple of dozen yards away it doesn't even overcome the engine noise of the boat.  The little mic in the DJI OSMO recorder I've got picks up everything and there's a cabin speaker real close to it.  

That never occured to him because if it did it would deny him his "Nature" sermon opportunity.

Edited by Cajun

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

I think what our Wooky friend here is missing is that he thinks the videos I post represent 100% of the time on the water and then also compounds that distortion of reality by not understanding that most of those videos are done with the tower speaker completely off.  Sure, in the video it sounds loud and, in fact, inside the boat it's a fairly high volume, but to someone a couple of dozen yards away it doesn't even overcome the engine noise of the boat.  The little mic in the DJI OSMO recorder I've got picks up everything and there's a cabin speaker real close to it.  

That never occured to him because if it did it would deny him his "Nature" sermon.

You're leaving out when someone swam 400 yards to ask you to turn your music down (and you thought this was a good thing?).  But keep being you.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You're leaving out when someone swam 400 yards to ask you to turn your music down (and you thought this was a good thing?).  But keep being you.

Yeah, and you're conveniently ignoring the fact that I told you she was just mad because the tower speakers were louder than her jam box, which was cranked completely up.  And where did I say it "was a good thing"?  It was simply an expample of the projection of that brand of speakers to a guy who asked a simple question of the board.

But you keep being you.  Keep pretending she was trying to "enjoy nature" and I was somehow preventing that.  It's such a wonderful straw man you've constructed, it'd  be a shame to waste it, right?

That chicken just hasn't been fucked enough yet for you I guess.

Edited by Cajun

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yeah, and you're conveniently ignoring the fact that I told you she was just mad because the tower speakers were louder than her jam box, which was cranked completely up.

But you keep being you.

That chicken just hasn't been fucked enough yet for you I guess.

OK, bluetooth speaker in the golf cart guy.

You seem sensitive about the music comments. Do what you want.

However, put me in the camp of not wanting to hear everyone else’s music while I’m on the water, at the beach, on the golf course, skiing, wherever I might be. if you’re out on your own, blast it until your heart is content. If you’re around people, turn it down.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Brew said:

You seem sensitive about the music comments. Do what you want.

However, put me in the camp of not wanting to hear everyone else’s music while I’m on the water, at the beach, on the golf course, skiing, wherever I might be. if you’re out on your own, blast it until your heart is content. If you’re around people, turn it down.

No Brew, I agree with you and am not out there to blast the shoreline with MY music.  What I’m sensitive to is people like Chewy picking a small information point and extrapolating out a narrative with to leverage a desire to virtue signal his “concern” for nature.  

Brew, you know boats.  You know how the systems are configured.  Every now and again, after doing the wake surf thing you forget to kill the tower speakers.  Sitting behind the wheel they don’t seem loud or even on.  Then your attention is brought to the fact they are and you (I, in this case) shut ‘em off immediately. That’s what happened.  

The for pretend “just enjoy nature” idiotic horse being beaten to a pulp is hilarious given the fact that this chick and her friends were blasting their jam box back on shore.  Everyone on that shoreline had a similar set-up.  Picture a land based Devil’s cove at Travis.  I was way out there and could hear it just fine from the boat.  

No matter how this gets spun, the chicken fucking going on is equal parts stupid and hilarious.  

As far as the golf course goes, we’re talking Cabo Del Sol in Baja.  We didn’t see another group the entire day and the music never got louder than what you could hear from 15 feet away from the cart.  

The lectures and hand-wringing is just flat out unnecessary, and that’s being kind.