The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Bonefish Malvaldo 26 or a Barker 26 Bay are my first two choices if I can get past the size or maybe even the Conch 25. Think I really need to go 22-24 if I go that direction though.

Oh I didn’t know you were ready to spend Barker $$. That’s my new vote, followed by a 24 Morada.  I’ve got a friend who’s had several of them (IM 22 and 24s) now, and he loves them.  

Well, decided I'm going with it without the fam. I'm May have one more shot at this before having to shut down for awhile. Plan is I take off tomorrow and the fam comes Friday. But they may have to leave Saturday which makes the whole adventure stupid. So I am headed to Catalina tomorrow and they may or
may not come. If they don't come. I'll come home Saturday. But that means 2 nights at Cat solo. Which I am ok with too. Leaving crack o dawn tomorrow.
d778fccc75ac1461fb1da5c36f6a38a9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 7/31/2022 at 9:08 PM, Brew said:

For me, it was my mid/late 90's 205's with bags on either side of the motor, in the bow, and under the back seats. Tight, steep wake that was easy to clear and would absolutely launch you. No electronics, easy to work on, and you could buy them for next to nothing. Kids could eat cheetos, drink koolaid, dogs could jump all over the seats, I never cared what happened with them. I've had multiple mid 90's and never spent more than $15k or so on one. Buddy of mine just bought my X1 I had before buying this Nautique. I told him if he ever got rid of it I got first dibs. That was a great boat that used the early 2000's Xstar hull and did everything great, except surfing which is why I moved up. You had to just about sink it to get the back corner low enough to get a decent curl.

The 95 and newer direct drive PS205 probably was the best crossover boat ever.  Decent slalom ski wake, low chine spray, good tracking.  Also happened to be the original XStar hull.  I liked the earlier 205 hull a little more for slalom.  I moved over from the 93 205 to a 98 SN about 15 years ago and haven't looked back.  But I don't wake board. 

• Like 1

Always liked the lines on them, but I preferred the wake on the 205. With the right tower setup, the 205 was also a great looking boat although people routinely screwed them up with garbage towers or placing them in the wrong location.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Where are you drowning doorknobs?

Those 50wides are for the marlin bitch baits. 99% of our bill fishing in Costa Rica is dredge fishing with teasers and ballyhoo for bait on 30 pound tackle. We occasionally pull marlin lures on overnight trips to the FADs which are 100+ miles out but there we mostly live bait or skipbait with dead tuna. I’m not a big lure or heavy tackle fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, justhookit said:

Those 50wides are for the marlin bitch baits. 99% of our bill fishing in Costa Rica is dredge fishing with teasers and ballyhoo for bait on 30 pound tackle. We occasionally pull marlin lures on overnight trips to the FADs which are 100+ miles out but there we mostly live bait or skipbait with dead tuna. I’m not a big lure or heavy tackle fan.

You lost me after “those.”

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Cajun said:

@justhookitI really meant it as a cute way of asking”Where are you fishing?” in that pic, but love the inside baseball of how y’all do it.  

I too prefer ballyhoo, goggle eyes (Cabo) and smaller artificials.

I knew where you were going but it’s rare I get to talk fishing on here. We are in Quepos, CR. And I know some people that call a type of lure “doorknobs”. Actually there is a specific lure that is called a doorknob.

Anyway, I’ll always have a soft spot for Cabo. Got hooked on billfishing there in 1983.

33 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

You lost me after “those.”

20 hours ago, justhookit said:

Those 50wides (the gold reels that are made for 50 pound test line but they are wider to hold more line) are for the marlin bitch (typo that’s Pitch) baits. 99% (slightly less than the chance of an argument breaking out on a thread on this site) of our bill fishing in Costa Rica is dredge (looks like an umbrella and we tow it underwater close to the boat) fishing with teasers (picture a large marlin lure without a hook in it that’s chasing a 10-15 foot long chain of 6 inch squid that’s run off electric teaser reels the captain controls from the bridge) and ballyhoo for bait on 30 pound tackle. We occasionally pull marlin lures on overnight trips to the FADs (Fish Aggregating Devices deployed on seamounts) which are 100+ miles out but there we mostly live bait or skipbait with dead tuna. I’m not a big lure or heavy tackle fan. (I prefer light tackle where you fight the fish standing up as opposed to being in a fighting chair)

Translated for you. I’m confident that makes it clear as mud.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sucked to see my boat leave behind another truck and know that’s the end of the line on wake boats and probably boats for a little while since I dumped the pontoon also. Bought my first Mastercraft around 19 and have had one for almost 25 years other than the Covid summer. Kind of nice to just have a couple of vehicles and a house and have taken advantage of recent trends and sold off toys that weren’t getting used and the properties that went with them. Nice to be liquid as the kids figure out where they are going to college and we figure out where we may want to end up. However, adulting and making smart decisions kind of sucks.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Brew said:

Sucked to see my boat leave behind another truck and know that’s the end of the line on wake boats and probably boats for a little while since I dumped the pontoon also. Bought my first Mastercraft around 19 and have had one for almost 25 years other than the Covid summer. Kind of nice to just have a couple of vehicles and a house and have taken advantage of recent trends and sold off toys that weren’t getting used and the properties that went with them. Nice to be liquid as the kids figure out where they are going to college and we figure out where we may want to end up. However, adulting and making smart decisions kind of sucks.

Damn. I have not been without boat since I was 16, like yourself, owning >1 for much of that time. Don’t know what I’d do with myself (aside from enjoying the cash, although mine weren’t with accompanying properties :)

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn. I have not been without boat since I was 16, like yourself, owning >1 for much of that time. Don’t know what I’d do with myself (aside from enjoying the cash, although mine weren’t with accompanying properties :)

I don’t plan to stay out of it long, just going to be weird not having a wake boat. I’ll have a bay/offshore boat within the next 12 months I think. Hopefully my oldest will know whether UNC is going to work out or not by late spring and then we’ll decide where to buy. Really was focused on the Keys and SWFL again but now we’re thinking about coastal Carolina or even one of the north GA lakes. Even looked at condos in Chicago recently for something different.

High school age kids are a bit of a beating on the hobbies, they have too much going on to get out and do much on the water any more.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

So this boat is about 6 slips down the dock from me for sale @ 299,000.  It’s going to need some TLC but it’s going to be a steal for the right person. You’re basically buying the hull, a beautiful interior and upgraded electronics. It can be a floating condo and do that really well. It can fish day trips or overnighters and tournament fish too. Probably the only thing it wouldn’t be good for is running charters.

Its not the right boat for me and I’m guessing the engines need to be overhauled. But it’s a lot of boat for the price.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1987-monterey-convertible-7868777/

E9C7B185-A84F-47F8-9E4C-B7AE13A6F982.png

• Drool 1

46 minutes ago, justhookit said:

45’ Rybovich may have just fallen into my lap. It’s not what I’ve been looking for but it’s the dream boat. @troph let’s split it. They are going to ask right at a million. I’ve got the guys to run charters on it.

I’ll listen but we are finishing our house and I’ve got two commercial loans and a start up to fund too. This is the worst time for us, should clear out in 5-6 months though. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ll listen but we are finishing our house and I’ve got two commercial loans and a start up to fund too. This is the worst time for us, should clear out in 5-6 months though. 

The owner is aways out from selling just started looking for a bigger boat. I just happened to be there when his captain told me it’s going to be for sale soon. We were at lunch with my captain and he looked at me and said this is your next boat. I’m buying the damn thing if I have to sell my house to do it.

Rybovich are you kidding me? I’ve been drooling over them since I was about 13 years old.  The boat is on my dock here I’ll get some other pics manana.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

The owner is aways out from selling just started looking for a bigger boat. I just happened to be there when his captain told me it’s going to be for sale soon. We were at lunch with my captain and he looked at me and said this is your next boat. I’m buying the damn thing if I have to sell my house to do it.

Rybovich are you kidding me? I’ve been drooling over them since I was about 13 years old.  The boat is on my dock here I’ll get some other pics manana.

What year is it? Send me the pics and the deets. You’ve got my number.

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, troph said:

What year is it? Send me the pics and the deets. You’ve got my number.

It’s not one of the original 37’s which I would kill for down here.  It’s also not one of the Cuban knock-offs.

I’m going on it tomorrow I’ll have much more info then. There’s a period where Rybovich’s weren’t made very well. But if this boat was before that it’s a classic and will always hold value. It’s got newish engines I think they replaced with Cummins. Now you are going to make me want to go take a pic of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Shit. They left this afternoon for the FADs to marlin fish. They’ll be back Sunday night or Monday morning and we are fishing my boat Sunday on a day trip so it’s gonna  be a few more days before I get on it. In the meantime here’s a 65 cat across the way from me. No sail though.

image.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, justhookit said:

45’ Rybovich may have just fallen into my lap. It’s not what I’ve been looking for but it’s the dream boat. @troph let’s split it. They are going to ask right at a million. I’ve got the guys to run charters on it.

Rybovich ftw

Had an exciting time on the lake yesterday.

Boat seemed a little sluggish heading to the bridge, and the bilge pump kept coming on. Checked and there was an inch or two of water in there but didn't seem to be too bad. On the way back the boat got very slow, the bilge pump wouldn't come on and there was >6 inches of water in the blige. Made it back to the dock at 8mph and looked down and the center floor bilge access door had water coming out and the water was hot as hell. Got the people off the boat, told my kid to tell the guys on the dock we're sinking and can we skip the line to get our boat out. Guy took my keys and backed the FJ up and we got the boat on the trailer by hand. Opened up the drain and a firehose like stream came out. Waited 5 minutes and it was still going so said fuck it and drove home. Got home and it was still draining and left a nice trail down the street and put a few inches of water in the ditch in front of my house. 

Based on reading up the Malibu forums it's probably a leak in a water hose on the engine based on how hot the water is. Going to drag it up to malibu in RR and kiss another $k or two goodbye.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Going to drag it up to malibu in RR and kiss another $k or two goodbye.

Well, could have been much, much worse. It’s probably the offshore in me but noticed you said bilge pump.   I’ve always added a manual (switched) pump alongside the one with a float, and when going offshore keep a portable with alligator clamps on a short piece of pipe.   It may not be enough to overcome but I’m going to give it hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, could have been much, much worse. It’s probably the offshore in me but noticed you said bilge pump.   I’ve always added a manual (switched) pump alongside the one with a float, and when going offshore keep a portable with alligator clamps on a short piece of pipe.   It may not be enough to overcome but I’m going to give it hell. 

I recommend everyone carry an actual manual pump. In offshore sailing depending on category you have to have either one or two whale pumps, one operable from the cockpit.

As they say nothing bails water like a scared man and a bucket.

• Like 1