The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yes there is definitely a superstition that renaming a boat is bad luck. I’ve heard various fixes for that, including breaking a bottle over the bow like fatty mentioned. But my favorite is having a virgin urinate over the bow of the boat.

As long as the virgin doesn’t have to be female, you should be able to find a few around here that can piss off your boat for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

15 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

There's a whole ceremony to Neptune. And you have to remove all traces of the old name from the boat. And pour some champagne out to Neptune. We did it about 8-9 years ago.

Just got to Cat. First time in over a year. Much needed.

Welp, there's always the yacht club way to do things.  Which if you can include a boozy brunch and chicks in sundresses, I'm all for it.  But my exposure to these "traditions" was from crusty commercial guys who didn't want their leg tangled in the lead line and to be dragged off a dory out at sea.  No mention of Poseidon or champagne, they just wanted full boxes of speckled trout and to keep all their fingers.

• Drool 1

22 hours ago, G650 said:

aka, a boat?

Look, I'm not remotely trying to have an argument, I am genuinely surprised as I've never heard of changing the name on small craft as a bad omen. I've seen countless one's changed and no one ever said boo. That's all.

Even I, an old seasick landlubber, have known about that seafarer’s superstition since the Truman administration.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yeah interested to see how that one goes. Serious fisherman in my parts of the world love Spencers but really look down on Albemarles.

Yeah wouldn't think they belong in the same sentence, but didn't think Albermarles were that thought down on.  Just that folks are that high on Spencers.  Friend of mine almost bought an older Albermarle once.  It was solid (but slow) and seemed like a good boat for the $$$ (they don't command much).  But I never followed the express market at all. 

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah wouldn't think they belong in the same sentence, but didn't think Albermarles were that thought down on.  Just that folks are that high on Spencers.  Friend of mine almost bought an older Albermarle once.  It was solid (but slow) and seemed like a good boat for the $$$ (they don't command much).  But I never followed the express market at all. 

Not real sure why I’ve never heard any specific problems other than the fit and finish isn’t that great. I didn’t mean it had a Luhrs reputation or anything.  It may be just that all of their previous models are smaller than what is needed in the Gulf and too heavy/slow for fishing down south. 

it’s an interesting concept in that you don’t have many boat builders producing convertible boats in that size range.

As for Spencer, they are minimum 3 years out on build times and I don’t think will make anything smaller than a 70’ anymore. Most people love them but they built a few that were nothing but problems. The ones I have been on have been fantastic boats with a price to match.

Edited by justhookit

18 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Congrats amigo. Why an offshore closing?

11 minutes ago, troph said:

taxes.

Yup. Costa Rica wants their share if you don’t do that. Funds go into escrow. It’s a weird deal where the seller’s agent drives the boat out and then you take pictures and video of the signing of the documents along with you coordinates on the GPS and a newspaper with the current date. Takes like 5 minutes then they hand you the “keys” to the boat and you get to drive it home.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/31/2023 at 6:42 PM, justhookit said:

Did an offshore closing this morning 13 miles out of Los Suenos then got her home to Marina Pez Vela in Quepos this afternoon. Have no idea how 99% of the stuff works on this boat yet but I’m down here for about 9 days to start figuring things out. Name change can’t take place until the paperwork is done down here which may take a few months. In the meantime the old name works just fine for a CR boat.

Man, what a soothing sound.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Need a puking emoji.  Fuck. 

This happened Friday afternoon/night I think. They finally got it off yesterday. Had to pump out all the fuel, and I'm sure the running gear is trashed. I read both engines and the gen set seized at the same time. Has to be fuel related.

Here's a longer decent video, but the commentator is a yokel. Skip through all the BS and you can see some of the recovery effort

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

This happened Friday afternoon/night I think. They finally got it off yesterday. Had to pump out all the fuel, and I'm sure the running gear is trashed. I read both engines and the gen set seized at the same time. Has to be fuel related.
Here's a longer decent video, but the commentator is a yokel. Skip through all the BS and you can see some of the recovery effort

Welcome back to the Chit Show!

39 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Hate seeing that. Fortunately that soft sand on the beach won’t really cause very much damage. New running gear and clean out the intakes and it’ll be good to go.

That's wildly optimistic.  Bent shafts, rudder damage, paint, etc... it looks like she's been rolling around in the surf a little bit.  I'd go with >$150k  not counting the tow/hard ungrounding and perhaps fees from FWC.

Edited by locodos

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

$150K is mice nuts on a $10M boat. 

Yes, I know how math works.  You did see the > sign right?  My point was that was NOT a soft grounding.  She's sitting on her running gear. The damage is likely to be much more extensive than it looks.

14 minutes ago, locodos said:

Yes, I know how math works.  You did see the > sign right?  My point was that was NOT a soft grounding.  She's sitting on her running gear. The damage is likely to be much more extensive than it looks.

Per The Qualified Captain Insta

On Sunday, @towboatusftlauderdale was able to unground the 92’ Viking “Pastime”. Crews pumped out over 1000 gallons of fuel and water and were able pull her off.

Overall, the Viking handled it fairly well with bent rudders and prop. No water ended up down below. A full inspection is going on today, as well as an active investigation on why the fire suppression system went off which shut down all power. We will keep you posted with updates.

The fire suppression system going off is interesting. I wonder if they had a Halon system in the engine room? That could be more costly than the running gear,  if the motors ingested a bunch of that shit. 

Pics of the damage at the link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzWFcjwrbGj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

I'm no expert here, but if you're using Halon or Saphire systems for fire suppression, and it's sucked into the engine intake, it would likely prevent proper ignition in the engines.  The engines would fill with unspent fuel, but the halon / saphire systems are just inert heavy gases, so it's not going to flood a piston per se.  Hopefully that's the cause of the engines stopping, and not something else.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, locodos said:

That's wildly optimistic.  Bent shafts, rudder damage, paint, etc... it looks like she's been rolling around in the surf a little bit.  I'd go with >$150k  not counting the tow/hard ungrounding and perhaps fees from FWC.

I mean, my post you quoted I said it needs new running gear. What happened is the definition of a soft grounding with a boat that size. New props, shafts, rudder, trim tabs, etc. is a dent in their annual maintenance budget. Plus it’s insured. No big deal at all. Fire suppression system may be a bigger issue depending on if there was actually a fire or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, my post you quoted I said it needs new running gear. What happened is the definition of a soft grounding with a boat that size. New props, shafts, rudder, trim tabs, etc. is a dent in their annual maintenance budget. Plus it’s insured. No big deal at all. Fire suppression system may be a bigger issue depending on if there was actually a fire or not.

Annual maintenance is what, $100k year or more?

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Plus it’s insured. No big deal at all.

I was actually wondering if the folks that roll 10mil boats just “self insure”.  Either way, while running gear would be prohibitively expensive to most of us, probably equates to this guys jet fuel bill for a year.   Could have been much, much worse.  Nice to see it made it out with shay looks like minimal damage.