Abbott / ERCOT

Nice Guy Eddie

So how many billions has Abbott taken away for his pet border issue unfunded boondoggle?

Basically all GOP planning is the same... under normal circumstances... things should hold together.  What about unusual circumstances?  Who could every anticipate that anything out of the normal could every happen.  ERCOT planning at it's finest.

Of course, what is especially interesting to an ACTUAL fiscal conservative like myself is how much money Abbott can redirect to protect us from brown skinned people desperate for work (far and away the majority).  Estimates are all we have, because Republicans are really, really bad about being fiscally accountable.  But to me a billion dollars to create an un-legislated slush fund is bullshit.  Not matter who is in office.

I for one would like accurate accounting on Abbott's diversion of funds.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, horn4life said:

So how many billions has Abbott taken away for his pet border issue unfunded boondoggle?

Basically all GOP planning is the same... under normal circumstances... things should hold together.  What about unusual circumstances?  Who could every anticipate that anything out of the normal could every happen.  ERCOT planning at it's finest.

Of course, what is especially interesting to an ACTUAL fiscal conservative like myself is how much money Abbott can redirect to protect us from brown skinned people desperate for work (far and away the majority).  Estimates are all we have, because Republicans are really, really bad about being fiscally accountable.  But to me a billion dollars to create an un-legislated slush fund is bullshit.  Not matter who is in office.

I for one would like accurate accounting on Abbott's diversion of funds.

The amount of money he apparently spent to send thousands of migrants via bus to DC was pretty ridiculous but a pittance compared to the billions he spent on the BS for-political theater to "protect" the sanctity of the border. Of course, racist, skeered Texans seem to forget that our economy depends on these people who flow easily across-and-back since they do jobs that Texans, especially white ones, don't want to do. The restaurant industry would crater in this state without them for example.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The amount of money he apparently spent to send thousands of migrants via bus to DC was pretty ridiculous but a pittance compared to the billions he spent on the BS for-political theater to "protect" the sanctity of the border. Of course, racist, skeered Texans seem to forget that our economy depends on these people who flow easily across-and-back since they do jobs that Texans, especially white ones, don't want to do. The restaurant industry would crater in this state without them for example.

Boy howdy just imagine how much grid maintenance we could have done with a few extra billion in funding, rather than building a shitty fence in the desert because racism

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Is there a way we could somehow harness Republican racism / stupidity to power our homes and cities?

We can just go the Matrix route and hook them all up to a computer simulation of a 1950's era that never actually existed while using them as batteries.

Hell, this is the best idea I've heard in years.  You've got my vote.  Make it happen!

Boy howdy just imagine how much grid maintenance we could have done with a few extra billion in funding, rather than building a shitty fence in the desert because racism

Running the grid to the margins allows for pricing spikes which enrich his buddies. Building a useless wall allows for more pushing money to his buddies.

Responsibility in governance is not profitable for the elites.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Running the grid to the margins allows for pricing spikes which enrich his buddies. Building a useless wall allows for more pushing money to his buddies.

And when shit breaks and needs to be replaced, we'll get stuck eating the cost again.

• Rage+1 1

Is there a way we could somehow harness Republican racism / stupidity to power our homes and cities?

We can just go the Matrix route and hook them all up to a computer simulation of a 1950's era that never actually existed while using them as batteries.

You’re making the bold assumption there’s firing synapses in their brains that generate electricity.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Great point. Running demand up right up to capacity isn’t a bug, it’s a feature to transfer wealth from citizens to the power suppliers aka donors.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Great point. Running demand up right up to capacity isn’t a bug, it’s a feature to transfer wealth from citizens to the power suppliers aka donors.

Y'all get it.

Option 1: have demand hit/exceed supply with regularity in a functionally unregulated market, which is very, very good for the profit margin of the folks supplying the commodity at issue.

Option 2: ensure that supply is more than sufficient to meet peak demand, making up for the lack of windfall profits by ensuring a reasonable rate of return/capacity payment for having resources online in a partially regulate market, which is good for the people who depend on that commodity for their lives and livelihood, and is also profitable for suppliers (albeit not at a massive windfall profits level).

Guess which option your state leadership chose, and is committed to, to the death (preferably YOUR death)?