Abbott / ERCOT

Nice Guy Eddie

42 minutes ago, YChang said:

No one would fit that description a 100% But I truly believe Dem candidates would lean much closer to trying to tackle issues citizens care about.  

Yeah, you can kind of tell that's true, seeing as how they don't belong to the party that constantly tells us that "government doesn't work," all while campaigning for government positions.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, troph said:

Democrats are the ones actually talking about things like expanding Medicaid which was offered by the feds, fixing the grid, regulating for climate etc etc. you may not like some of their policies but they are currently the only adults in the room. Provide some moderates on the Republican side and we can start compromising and doing deals again.  Saying they are all the same is unfortunately not true anymore. The republicans are on a witch hunt and scapegoating while they simply stay in power. And you know this. 

Not in disagreement with much of that. But it doesn’t make your original statement true.  Virtue signaling things you’re in agreement with doesn’t make them mundane governors, only interested in governing the people. It just makes them palatable. 

Edited by fattyflattie

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not in disagreement with much of that. But it doesn’t make your original statement true.  Virtue signaling things you’re in agreement with doesn’t make them mundane governors, only interested in governing the people. It just makes them palatable. 

Yeah dude I’m talking about the grid, public schools, healthcare, regulation, the stuff that most reasonable people think is the mundane parts of governance, and I made allowance in my original post for moderate republicans and room for negotiation which used to happen between the parties so please explain the virtue signaling and demanding outcomes in that post. I’m serious tell me. 

fucking everyone in my life today wants to make my statements into aggressive one sided statements. I’m taking crazy pills trying to be objective here and everyone is throwing peanuts and cornuts saying I’m the gorilla. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, troph said:

fucking everyone in my life today wants to make my statements into aggressive one sided statements. I’m taking crazy pills trying to be objective here and everyone is throwing peanuts and cornuts saying I’m the gorilla. 

No, that’s not what I’m doing. I just wanted to know who you consider to fall into that camp. If it’s anyone currently in the political atmosphere, then I disagree.  We are now publicly and in the open, not even considering people for the Supreme Court, solely based on the color of their skin.  I’m curious who is “just in it for the governing”, because I’m seeing a whole lot of virtue governing anywhere and everywhere I look. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No, that’s not what I’m doing. I just wanted to know who you consider to fall into that camp. If it’s anyone currently in the political atmosphere, then I disagree.  We are now publicly and in the open, not even considering people for the Supreme Court, solely based on the color of their skin.  I’m curious who is “just in it for the governing”, because I’m seeing a whole lot of virtue governing anywhere and everywhere I look. 

Yeah, there’s no place for diversity in government. The old white dudes have got it covered and are doing a bang up job!

3 minutes ago, troph said:

what are you talking about? Ketanji Brown Jackson? First I’m talking texas politics and second she’s a qualified black woman. After stealing a judge and having 2 republicans appoint 4 out of the last 5 having lost the popular vote and  including one with credible rape allegations you want to say she shouldn’t have been appointed because Biden wanted a black woman on the court? As long as she’s qualified and she is so what?  Talk about virtue signaling.  Yeah a qualified black woman on the court is a very good thing. We should have one qualified queer person on the court too to be perfectly honest. You know to represent what America looks like in real life.

Yellow brown black and white (and queer) Jesus loves the little children of the world.

I’m guessing fatty didn’t watch the confirmation hearings. KBJ is highly qualified and was a rockstar in her hearings. Compare her hearing to that of Kegger Kavanaugh and it’s astounding that guy sits on the highest court in the nation.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, royiv said:

I’m guessing fatty didn’t watch the confirmation hearings. KBJ is highly qualified and was a rockstar in her hearings. Compare her hearing to that of Kegger Kavanaugh and it’s astounding that guy sits on the highest court in the nation.

still blows my mind that, in nationally televised hearings, he publicly vowed vengeance against those he perceived as political detractors/opponents... and also specifically mentioned the Clintons. That shit was barely even talked about 2 days later. 

• Rage+1 1

48 minutes ago, troph said:

what are you talking about? Ketanji Brown Jackson? First I’m talking texas politics and second she’s a qualified black woman. After stealing a judge and having 2 republicans appoint 4 out of the last 5 having lost the popular vote and  including one with credible rape allegations you want to say she shouldn’t have been appointed because Biden wanted a black woman on the court? As long as she’s qualified and she is so what?  Talk about virtue signaling.  Yeah a qualified black woman on the court is a very good thing. We should have one qualified queer person on the court too to be perfectly honest. You know to represent what America looks like in real life.

Yellow brown black and white (and queer) Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Yes.  She's absolutely more than qualified.  So what is the point of making the statement about who wasn't going to be included before RBG was even cold?  It served one purpose only, and it wasn't mundane governing.  There isn't a single politician who just wants to govern mundane government happenings. 

You are correct.  We were talking Texas politics.  I figured it would be easier to expand it to any politician, just one, that meets your original statement.    I'm failing to think of a single one.  

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes.  She's absolutely more than qualified.  So what is the point of making the statement about who wasn't going to be included before RBG was even cold?  It served one purpose only, and it wasn't mundane governing.  There isn't a single politician who just wants to govern mundane government happenings. 

You are correct.  We were talking Texas politics.  I figured it would be easier to expand it to any politician, just one, that meets your original statement.    I'm failing to think of a single one.  

What do you mean, what was the point? Tell me you had no idea Biden was fulfilling a campaign promise with a qualified black jurist.

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Uh huh, like that just now started.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Joe Biden said he was going to pick a black woman back before the South Carolina primary, on February 25,2020.

RGB was very much still a warm body and didn’t die until Sept 18 2020.

Every president is asked about potential nominees when running.

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This is a solid example of an intellectually dishonest and propogandized view of the facts. You're believing the worst thing possible without ANY further reflection or critical thought. It's very on-brand for you and your redhatted cousins (because you'd NEVER vote Republican winkwinkwink) to just take whatever you're told is wrong and go do (or post) something stupid in response. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I cannot believe y’all still engage this guy. Just bc he uses complete sentences doesn’t mean he’s some credible voice of the current Republican Party. He’s NEVER going to vote blue. Ever. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I cannot believe y’all still engage this guy. Just bc he uses complete sentences doesn’t mean he’s some credible voice of the current Republican Party. He’s NEVER going to vote blue. Ever. 

This.  I tried really hard for a while, but it's a fruitless endeavor.  He's been on ignore for a few weeks and he is not missed.

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

So what is the point of making the statement about who wasn't going to be included before RBG was even cold? 

RBG was replaced by a white person…a theocratic Alito wannabe at that. One that has been critical to the USSC destroying its own credibility.

RBG’s body was well into the cold phase when Justice Breyer retired and KJB was nominated to replace him. 

Amazingly, that wasn’t even the silliest part of your post where you brought up the Supreme Court nomination process for the President of the United States as a counter to an argument that what is needed at the state level is leadership interested in the mundane governing aspects of every day life as opposed to being a national political lightning rod on republican culture war issues. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Talking about SCOTUS justices in this thread is just about a misdirection to prevent us from talking about how the GOP has ruined the Texas grid and power reliability.

yup, eye on the ball. Abbott fucked us and needs to be gone yesterday. Texas, as we know and love it, will no longer be just that if we continue to let Republicans pilfer the greatness this state has to offer. some here might say that point is well behind us. I still believe

3 hours ago, sidis said:

RBG was replaced by a white person…a theocratic Alito wannabe at that. One that has been critical to the USSC destroying its own credibility.

RBG’s body was well into the cold phase when Justice Breyer retired and KJB was nominated to replace him. 

Correct, late night. 

3 hours ago, sidis said:

Amazingly, that wasn’t even the silliest part of your post where you brought up the Supreme Court nomination process for the President of the United States as a counter to an argument that what is needed at the state level is leadership interested in the mundane governing aspects of every day life as opposed to being a national political lightning rod on republican culture war issues. 

Just looking for an example of a politician who’s in it for the mundane governing, and not the hijinks. Noticed I’m still the only one to come up with a single example. Weird. 

• Fuck You 3

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

What do you mean, what was the point? Tell me you had no idea Biden was fulfilling a campaign promise with a qualified black jurist.

His pandering for votes does not surprise me in the least. But it’s the governing he cares about…

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Uh huh, like that just now started.

Any examples where the only race and sex to be considered was announced before hand?  

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  I tried really hard for a while, but it's a fruitless endeavor.  He's been on ignore for a few weeks and he is not missed.

I don’t believe you. 

4 hours ago, troph said:

Every president is asked about potential nominees when running.

You are correct. How many have singled out a particular race and sex, discriminating against all others, publicly.   I’m certain many will find that ok, team players after all. But there’s a word for it. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Reagan announced he'd appoint a woman, but I guess that's ok because he didn't announce both the race and the sex. 

You know I feel like maybe this country announced the race and sex of every justice ever appointed up before they were appointed until the last 50 years or so. But he won’t understand that

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Reagan announced he'd appoint a woman, but I guess that's ok because he didn't announce both the race and the sex. 

Discriminatory just the same. 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

You know I feel like maybe this country announced the race and sex of every justice every appointed up until the last 50 years or so. But he won’t understand that

You feel that way?  Oh, well you should have said something. Since you feel that way, I guess that’s what it is. 

• Fuck You 5

Just now, fattyflattie said:

You feel that way?  Oh, well you should have said something. Since you feel that way, I guess that’s what it is. 

Like I said, we know you wouldn’t be able to put 2 and 2 together.

Its amazing, you literally don’t understand what is being said somehow.

Edited by hobbes2702

Meanwhile, back in Texas, Neto’s plan below.  I’m all for connecting to the national grid at this point.  The positives clearly outweigh the negatives and the only ones who benefit staying separate are the energy companies and shareholders.

Congratulations Greg Abbott.  You got me to do a 180 on our power grid remaining separate from the rest of the country.  You are Putin, and me and a lot of other Texans are Sweden and Finland and the national grid is NATO.

FXaY1J6XgAIYSLh?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Meanwhile, back in Texas, Neto’s plan below.  I’m all for connecting to the national grid at this point.  The positives clearly outweigh the negatives and the only ones who benefit staying separate are the energy companies and shareholders.

Congratulations Greg Abbott.  You got me to do a 180 on our power grid remaining separate from the rest of the country.  You are Putin, and me and a lot of other Texans are Sweden and Finland and the national grid is NATO.

FXaY1J6XgAIYSLh?format=jpg&name=medium

What are the supposed negatives of connecting to the national grid? I don’t know nearly enough about that

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

All Supreme Court justices were white and of European heritage until the appointment of Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American Justice, in 1967. Since then, only three other non-white justices have been appointed: Marshall's African-American successor, Clarence Thomas, in 1991, Latina Justice Sonia Sotomayor in 2009, and African-American Ketanji Brown Jackson in 2022.

spacer.png

Of the 116 justices, 110 (94.8%) have been men. All Supreme Court justices were males until 1981, when Ronald Reagan fulfilled his 1980 campaign promise to place a woman on the Court,[58] which he did with the appointment of Sandra Day O'Connor. O'Connor was later joined on the Court by Ruth Bader Ginsburg, appointed by Bill Clinton in 1993. After O'Connor retired in 2006, Ginsburg was joined by Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan, who were successfully appointed to the Court in 2009 and 2010, respectively, by Barack Obama.[59] In September 2020, following Ginsburg's death, Donald Trump nominated Amy Coney Barrett to succeed her.[60] Barrett was confirmed the following month. Only one woman, Harriet Miers, has been nominated to the court unsuccessfully. Her nomination to succeed O'Connor by George W. Bush was withdrawn under fire from both parties, and also marked the first time when a woman was nominated to replace another woman on the court. The nomination of Barrett was the first successful nomination for a woman to succeed another woman. Joe Biden's 2022 nomination of Ketanji Brown Jackson to a seat vacated by the retirement of Stephen Breyer makes Jackson the first African-American woman to be nominated to the court.[30] The Senate confirmed Jackson on April 7, 2022.[31]

spacer.png

Demographics of the Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia

Before 1967 there was never anything but white men on the court.

Then it took another 25 years to get another justice on the court who was a minority..... to replace the only other one.

Before 1980 there was never anything but men on the court.

NOT until 2010 was there anything more than one minority on the court at any given time.

mrw GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Being committed to diversity for a class of people that has never had representation on the court is somehow discrimination? LOL.

And, just to have some fun here, I'll bite and throw out Beto as someone that is running on pretty mundane issues. Just check out his list of issues from his campaign website:

https://betoorourke.com/issues/

I read through every single one of those issues and didn't see anything that appears controversial. No mention of any of the culture war issues of religion, attacks on LGBTQ+ or race. Pretty straightforward in my mind on what politicians should be focused on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Stunned. 

My favorite is when you pretend to be a smart person. Read the room jackass. There are a lot of very smart people here who know more than me about a great many things. Try listening and learning sometimes.

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

All of them before Thurgood Marshall.

I tried to make that point but it obviously flew right over his head. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Demographics of the Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia

Before 1967 there was never anything but white men on the court.

Then it took another 25 years to get another justice on the court who was a minority..... to replace the only other one.

Before 1980 there was never anything but men on the court.

NOT until 2010 was there anything more than one minority on the court at any given time.

mrw GIF

It’s deliberate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

My favorite is when you pretend to be a smart person. Read the room jackass. There are a lot of very smart people here who know more than me about a great many things. Try listening and learning sometimes.

I tried to make that point but it obviously flew right over his head. 

This right here. I'm smart enough to know that I know a lot about a few things and a little about a lot of things. I always want to learn more. I, too, would like to know what the downsides are of joining the national electrical grid. I previously lived in AZ and we never experienced these grid issues. It's an issue I don't know a ton about because it's not something that I've had to worry about in the past. If someone would like to have an honest conversation about the pros and cons, I'm all ears and willing to listen and learn.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

No mention of any of the culture war issues of religion, attacks on LGBTQ+ or race.

You’re talking about the Ivy League educated Irish guy that goes by a hispanic nickname, right?  

His passion for politics is the same as it was in El Paso, to clear an easier path for his in laws real estate deals. Maybe get them over that last hump and into an actual billion for his inheritance.   His crying like a bitch and continuous changing of opinions is just the means to the ends. 

• Fuck You 10

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You’re talking about the Ivy League educated Irish guy that goes by a hispanic nickname, right?  

His passion for politics is the same as it was in El Paso, to clear an easier path for his in laws real estate deals. Maybe get them over that last hump and into an actual billion for his inheritance.   His crying like a bitch and continuous changing of opinions is just the means to the ends. 

Do you have anything to contribute to this thread about Abbott/Ercot or are you simply laying all your grievances out for us? Why are you here? Just trolling today?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but this actually hurts when you say it. There are smart people here, but you’ve always struck me as someone with maybe some brain damage as a child, or something?  Your posts make Rocko seem like an intellectual giant.  Your “thoughts” are agreeing with the smart folks in the room, and then negging my posts.  I’m sorry if you actually have some type of developmental delay or something. It would explain so much, but sorry all the same. 

• Fuck You 9

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Ah, yes. Using a nickname should  automatically disqualify any candidate. How long have you lived in TX? How many III's have you known that go by Tres or Trey? How about IV's that go by Cuatro. Should we disqualify those from public office? How about Rafaels that go by Ted?

And for the latter, please provide some back-up to your claim. I've seen you and others make this claim, but I've not seen any evidence to back it up. Also, aren't you the guy who said that your main motivation politically is to make as much money as you can so that you can buy expensive boats and live in a home worth seven figures? I seem to remember that from The Supremes thread. Seems like you would admire someone attempting to enrich themselves since that's what you aspire to do.

• Hook 'Em 1