LBGTQ

Mo Horn

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Can you provide an example of a contemporary GOP principal that does NOT demonize or villify a group?

It's not a road I want to go down, but I'm sure there are some.  To be clear, I am not a GOP supporter.  As posted before, I considered myself a conservative in my teens and early 20's...mostly because my parents were Reagan Rebulicans, but I didn't really understand what the GOP was about at the time. For me it was never about social issues.  In fact, I was a bit of a club kid, so I had lots of gay friends (very few who were fully out sadly) and it never bothered me.  Oh, and my best friend was a black kid who everyone thought was gay, and that we were an item, even though neither of us actually were gay.  Probably didn't help that I had an earring in the 80's.  I can't even count the number of times some random guy would scream "fag" as I walked by...which later morphed into my gay friends referring to me as a "Fag Stag" because I hung out with so many gay people...note to the straight crowd...if you haven't hung out with gay people I suggest you do...they are way more fun.  

Anyway, the point is that I still have some conservative leanings, but racism and anti-LGBTQ aren't among them. 

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

-The media is the enemy of the people - To some extent I think this is true.  I think the 24-hour news channels really fucked this up...thanks CNN...because there wasn't enough actual news to fill 24-hours so it became opinion and tabloid news.  There are still a few I trust, like BBC, NPR, and oddly sometimes Al-Jazeera when they cover the US.

-Immigrants "poison the blood of our country" - I think mass immigration is bad.  I've explained why before, but if asked I can rehash it.  But, it's not very salacious.  

-Democrats are the party of pedophiles - Yep, totally stupid.

-Gay people want to groom our kids. they are also pedophiles - also asinine.  If this were true, I would have "turned" gay long ago.

-Trans people want to groom our kids. They are also pedophiles. - see above

-Leftists want to indoctrinate children. They are also pedophiles. - leftists do want to indoctrinate...all political (and religious) entities want to indoctrinate, but that doesn't mean they are pedos.

-College Professors are leftist agitators trying to indoctrinate students. - Yeah, don't agree, I had literal...IE my definition...fascist teachers.  My Italian professor was open about it.  

-The 2020 election was stolen by Democrats! - Obviously false

-Joe Biden is an illegal president. He should be imprisoned or executed. - Again, false

-Women should be imprisoned or executed if they have an abortion. Even if its to save their own life. - Nor are we who support a woman's choice "pro-abortion"...nobody gets pregnant so they can have an abortion.  

-Muslims should not be allowed to enter the country. - Broken record, but no, I don't agree with that position, although, in general, I am pretty anti-religion. 

-Russia is a good, Christian nation and they are only defending themselves from Ukrainian Nazis. - Obviously weird considering when I was growing up conservatives hated Russia, so I still haven't wrapped my head around the change in attitude.

-Vaccines are dangerous. - Vaccines save lives

-Climate change is a hoax perpetuated by Democrats to push their green narrative. - I trust the scientists, but would be open to the possibility that the reason behind climate change isn't just human caused...because we have had climate changes before humans existed.  

My responses in-line above...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

country" - I think mass immigration is bad.  I've explained why before, but if asked I can rehash it.  But, it's not very salacious.  

Both sides agree mass immigration is great. One side wants it to be legal and above board. The other side wants to keep it illegal for campaign scare tactics and an inexhaustible supply of cheap labor

you can fix illegal immigration tomorrow by making it a 10 year penitentiary crime for the CEO of any company caught employing undocumented labor. I wonder why that never gets proposed?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Agree to disagree. What you’re describing in the rest of your post I would call “picking your battles.” But I don’t get the sense from the other posts of yours I have read that that is what you are doing here. 

Yeah, not exactly, although there is a bit of that.  I just don't think rapid change is possible without mass casualties.  And I've become increasingly anti-war with age, so that goes against the grain for me.  That's not to say I won't fire back at the Nazis if the shit goes down (I've started acquiring guns of late...up to 10 now), but I prefer slow change and negotiated settlement.

Yes, part of that is due to me being a straight, white (now), man in America, but let's not kid ourselves, the most disenfranchised American is still better off than 90+% of the world.  We have running water, paved roads, money (relative to other countries).  There is a reason so many minorities are still immigrating the US, despite the fact that they know they will face racism and xenophobia.  I actually just had a conversation similar to this my Uber driver yesterday.  He was a young man, maybe 25, who recently moved here from Rwanda, and I asked him if he'd thought he'd ever go back, to which he replied, that while he missed his family and friends, he loved it here and wanted to stay.

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Both sides agree mass immigration is great. One side wants it to be legal and above board. The other side wants to keep it illegal for campaign scare tactics and an inexhaustible supply of cheap labor

you can fix illegal immigration tomorrow by making it a 10 year penitentiary crime for the CEO of any company caught employing undocumented labor. I wonder why that never gets proposed?

Honestly, have you posted this before because I feel like I'm having deja vu.  Anyway, I agree with the second part 100%...but I think you misread my first part.  I'm against mass immigration, not for it.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

the most disenfranchised American is still better off than 90+% of the world

The bigger indicator for societal strife is not absolute poverty levels, it’s relative disparity between the haves, and have nots. It’s a really big problem in our country and it’s only getting bigger.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Honestly, have you posted this before because I feel like I'm having deja vu.  Anyway, I agree with the second part 100%...but I think you misread my first part.  I'm against mass immigration, not for it.

i’m pretty sure I have. I’m not arguing that you are pro mass immigration, just pointing out that the Republican party is and why.

I think by just about any objective measure it is clear that mass immigration is not only beneficial but necessary for our country to continue prospering. That’s obviously fodder for a different thread 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Sawbonz said:

The bigger indicator for societal strife is not absolute poverty levels, it’s relative disparity between the haves, and have nots. It’s a really big problem in our country and it’s only getting bigger.

i’m pretty sure I have. I’m not arguing that you are pro mass immigration, just pointing out that the Republican party is and why.

I think by just about any objective measure it is clear that mass immigration is not only beneficial but necessary for our country to continue prospering. That’s obviously fodder for a different thread 

Gotcha on both fronts, but I'll agree to disagree with the second part.  While I believe immigration is beneficial and is one of the few constants in history, I think mass immigration is bad because I believe cultural uniformity is key to a nation's success and cohesiveness.  Of course, paradoxically, I'm against nation states and governments....at least in the form that rules the world today.  Over time, additions from other cultures enhance the host nation's culture but too much too fast will cause problems.  

I mean, now that I'm thinking about it, that's kind of my philosophy in general.  Everything in moderation.

On 4/28/2024 at 6:31 PM, SubliminalHorn said:

I don’t understand being trans. But you know what? It’s not for me to understand. Just accept and mind my own business.  

This is where I am and I don’t understand why it’s so hard for other people to let go. It shouldn’t fucking matter. It doesn’t affect me. Literally, my life is the exact fucking same whether there are trans people (or gay, black, white, green, whatever) or not. I don’t see why people are so concerned. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is where I am and I don’t understand why it’s so hard for other people to let go. It shouldn’t fucking matter. It doesn’t affect me. Literally, my life is the exact fucking same whether there are trans people (or gay, black, white, green, whatever) or not. I don’t see why people are so concerned. 

300,000 years of Schismogenesis will do that to ya.

Edited by DixonHur
Damn you auto-correct

Didn't know if this should be here or in the "Racism in America" thread, but either way, I didn't have this on my 2024 bingo card.

Former Ku Klux Klan poster boy reveals new trans identity

R Derek Black, the child of former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard Don Black and a onetime poster boy for the white supremacist movement, has quietly come out as transgender.

image.png.53eb9984ac3310fc2cc1099ca6bceed8.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Didn't know if this should be here or in the "Racism in America" thread, but either way, I didn't have this on my 2024 bingo card.

Former Ku Klux Klan poster boy reveals new trans identity

image.png.53eb9984ac3310fc2cc1099ca6bceed8.png

And from the looks, she's super into needlepoint and scrapbooking.  NTTAWWT....in fact, maybe she'd like to buy my wife's old scrapbooking stuff.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, safe sex said:

According to the article, Mx. Black uses they/them pronouns. And good for them. What a journey of life

Clearly, they accidentally witnessed a drag queen reading a book at the local library.

It's the only explanation.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, safe sex said:

Ngl, I want the top they're wearing in that photo

What, do you dream of taking over the Mineral Wells Ladies' Sewing Circle?  Because that's what that top is MADE FOR.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

What, do you dream of taking over the Mineral Wells Ladies' Sewing Circle?  Because that's what that top is MADE FOR.

Also, the perfect outfit for herding cats

While I'm pretty sure the Mineral Wells Ladies Sewing Circle has a firm "no dykes allowed" policy, I would gladly herd cats in a floral blouse complete with cardigan

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, safe sex said:

Ngl, I want the top they're wearing in that photo

Because you want to be a librarian and tell kids to hush all day? It's great if you do, but you'll need to also get a beaded necklace for your bifocals.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, safe sex said:

According to the article, Mx. Black uses they/them pronouns. And good for them. What a journey of life

It seems like the vast English-speaking world community could come up with fresh pronouns instead of bastardizing ones that already exist. I mean, we came up with Ms during the welcome rise of feminism (sadly being beaten back by the white man).

I was thinking of using ye as a neutral pronoun. Surely something better than just pluralizing those not wishing to be identified by sex.

I'd have an easier time remembering something like ye to refer to any single person. 

23 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It seems like the vast English-speaking world community could come up with fresh pronouns instead of bastardizing ones that already exist. I mean, we came up with Ms during the welcome rise of feminism (sadly being beaten back by the white man).

I was thinking of using ye as a neutral pronoun. Surely something better than just pluralizing those not wishing to be identified by sex.

I'd have an easier time remembering something like ye to refer to any single person. 

The grammatical absurdity of it does grind on me, but I'm coming around to it.

8_SulQ.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Singular they is grammatically correct and has been for centuries. Shakespeare made frequent use of it. I guarantee that y'all use it in your day to day life without thinking about it

Some trans people, especially non-binary trans people, try what are called neo pronouns (ze/zem, fae/faer, xe/xem, etc), but society is even less willing to adopt those than the singular they (which, again, is grammatically okay). I can't really disagree with society there. Pronouns are a foundational block of English and adding novel ones, especially with the wide range in use, is basically impossible if you're looking for widespread adoption

It's hard enough to get people to use they/them. But it is correct English

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Singular they is grammatically correct and has been for centuries. Shakespeare made frequent use of it. I guarantee that y'all use it in your day to day life without thinking about it

Some trans people, especially non-binary trans people, try what are called neo pronouns (ze/zem, fae/faer), but society is even less willing to adopt those than the singular they (which, again, is grammatically okay). 

It's hard enough to get people to use they/them. Let's not make it more difficult

The Royal they?

56 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Because you want to be a librarian and tell kids to hush all day? It's great if you do, but you'll need to also get a beaded necklace for your bifocals.

I was accepted to library science school once upon a time.

58 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Also with English usage dictates grammar. But for that fact we would all be speaking French 

Maybe we all need to learn Finnish...they don't use gendered pronouns at all.

5 hours ago, safe sex said:

Some trans people, especially non-binary trans people, try what are called neo pronouns (ze/zem, fae/faer, xe/xem, etc), but society is even less willing to adopt those than the singular they (which, again, is grammatically okay). I can't really disagree with society there. Pronouns are a foundational block of English and adding novel ones, especially with the wide range in use, is basically impossible if you're looking for widespread adoption

It's hard enough to get people to use they/them. But it is correct English

In official language, the plural has become advised to avoid the "he/she."  It's simpler, but I'm not crazy about that either, yet I conform. Prior to feminism, everything was third person masculine for general usage. I'm for undoing the assumption of the masculine.

I'll respect and use whatever a person desires. I just wish we could eliminate the necessity of thinking about it by making something like Ye or something better common. 

I'm good with the need for language sensitive to all persons. I just want it simplified. Like most things I want for the world, it will not happen unless this post of mine starts a grassroots movement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Maybe we all need to learn Finnish...they don't use gendered pronouns at all.

Which should come in handy, here in Virginia.  And I'm never ever sick at sea.  

There's a Do We, Do They, DeWey Decimal joke in here somewhere to help take the edge off.  I'm all for using the preferred pronouns but I gotta admit, I just fucking can't with the attempt to change Spanish El/La/Los/Las.  I get students every year at our academy for first gen students of color in the summer.  And I'll do a portion of my talk in Spanish and somebody has an issue with the pronouns like I invented Romance Languages.  Yes, I know "El Libro" may imply to some that the book has testicles, but take it up with Madrid.  Now, if I refer to a student, I'll use what they indicated on their nametag.  But don't give me any shit about saying "El Grado in sus colegios es una manera de..."  They're just placeholders, nobody actually thinks the sun is a man and the moon is a woman.  Well, maybe.  Who am  I to judge how you swing galactically?  

25 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

In official language, the plural has become advised to avoid the "he/she."  It's simpler, but I'm not crazy about that either, yet I conform. Prior to feminism, everything was third person masculine for general usage. I'm for undoing the assumption of the masculine.

I'll respect and use whatever a person desires. I just wish we could eliminate the necessity of thinking about it by making something like Ye or something better common. 

I'm good with the need for language sensitive to all persons. I just want it simplified. Like most things I want for the world, it will not happen unless this post of mine starts a grassroots movement. 

Practice makes perfect. Everyone struggles with it at first but it becomes second nature much faster than a neo pronoun like "ye" would.  They is simpler than any other solution

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

See battle of hastings 

The grammatical structure of your first sentence made me struggle to understand what you were saying.

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The grammatical structure of your first sentence made me struggle to understand what you were saying.

It was also a bit of a non sequitur. I was referring to whichever post was talking about using “they” in the singular as not feeling correct. English is a much more a descriptive rather than prescriptive language. Which is why it survived the Norman invasion and a couple of centuries of French rule. 10,000 + words were absorbed into the language from the conquerors. Getting hung up on grammar rules for English is kind of dumb. Latin is a dead language because of all the pointless rules. French with its L’Académie Française isn’t much better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My daughter says her cat is a “they” and scowls at me when I say “she,” especially since the cat is biologically male, but to me all cats are female. Glad it’s a cat and not a person, I’m much more aware when dealing with people.

15 hours ago, safe sex said:

While I'm pretty sure the Mineral Wells Ladies Sewing Circle has a firm "no dykes allowed" policy, I would gladly herd cats in a floral blouse complete with cardigan

In my head I can hear a very catty gay man tearing you to shreds if you wore that outfit.

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And from the looks, she's super into needlepoint and scrapbooking.  NTTAWWT....in fact, maybe she'd like to buy my wife's old scrapbooking stuff.

Looks to me like a British mum who might be serving tea and scones. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1