Len Dawson has passed.

BonzoMontreaux

RIP.

Johnny Unitas was my favorite back then.  When he passed I felt it.  The Colts were my favorite team for a while.  I lived in Kentucky and there were no Bengals then.  I saw a Houston Chronicle sportswriter who grew up in Waco write an article and felt the same way.  It was kind of an era.  Len Dawson was part of that era.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

RIP.

Johnny Unitas was my favorite back then.  When he passed I felt it.  The Colts were my favorite team for a while.  I lived in Kentucky and there were no Bengals then.  I saw a Houston Chronicle sportswriter who grew up in Waco write an article and felt the same way.  It was kind of an era.  Len Dawson was part of that era.

I am just old enough to remember Unitas play.  I was a fan mainly based on what my grandpa told me about him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Loved him as a kid watching Inside the NFL with Nick Buoniconti.  This was before the ESPN nightly (and hourly) highlights during game day, when the only time you got a recap of Sunday's games was Inside the NFL.

or... Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell giving a recap of the weekend during half time.  I was allowed to stay up until after I heard Cosell give the summation on the past weekend.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Damn, not old enough to recall him playing but loved him on HBO and that pic is iconic. 

RIP

I agree. I don’t think there’s anything I looked more forward to when I was kid than watching the weekly episodes of Inside the NFL. He and Nick Buoniconti made such a good team. That show was mesmerizing for some reason. During the show I would draw pictures of the NFL helmets. Back when the NFL wasn’t pimped out like a WWF/WWE match.

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

The last QB of the Dallas Texans and the first QB of the Chiefs. He nearly got canned from from SBIV due to a bogus story linking him to a known gambler.

He was involved in broadcasting early and was a local sportscaster while the QB. Not just off-season, but in season. He’d finish practice to make the 6pm newscast

6 hours ago, bullet said:

RIP.

5 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I am just old enough to remember Unitas play.  I was a fan mainly based on what my grandpa told me about him.  

Staubach will always be my idol/hero but JohnnyU  is my all time favorite QB and he was well in the twilight of his career when I started following the NFL(1970).  All the stories and hilites I've seen of him were incredible.  He is Mr. Colts, imo. 

When Kevin Harlan was doing PBP on the Chief's radio broadcasts, Lenny was the color guy. He was never afraid to tell it like it was and pulled no punches. Very refreshing compared to the cheerleaders that they have had since he left. I'm glad things worked out for Harlan and he was able to rise the ranks but I really miss the banter between those two. Lenny was the best. Like somebody upstream posted, Len was working local TV while he was still playing. He did it all, news, weather and sports. Whatever was needed. RIP, Lenny. You will always be my favorite Chief.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1