Scottsdale

LebongJames

8 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Heading to Scottsdale this week with the wife. Plan to golf and take a couple hikes. Also plan to try Pizzeria Bianco. Anyone have good dinner recommendations? What about some outdoor bars?

If it were me, I'd do La Grande Orange for pizza over Pizzeria Bianco. Tapas Papa Frita in Old Town Scottsdale is good. Elements at the Sanctuary in Paradise Valley if you're feeling a little fancier.

Elements is best rec yet.  Some have me shaking my head.  What kind of food do you like?  What kind of scene are you looking for?  Are you an old?  Is wife cool with you guys bringing a hot 24 yo back to CB Inn?  These questions will influence my recommendations.  I’ve lived here for 20 years, so I have a pretty good idea on things.  Don’t go to Grimaldis.  It’s fine but you don’t seek out middle of the road pizza when on vacation.  

Nothing you asked for, and it isn't even Scottsdale, but Wed/Sat go to Chicago Hamburger Co. for a fantastic bratwurst. Every other day go for a burger or for a hot dog. Peanut butter shake. Amazing fries, sprinkle some Cajun in your ketchup to dip the fries. Can't recommend this place enough. I go nearly every Sat when I'm in town, and have been going for about 16 years. (And I don't live anywhere near!)

https://goo.gl/maps/eWDVFwZWVBFxxBKd9

If you want to visit an old Phoenix icon, Bobby-Q's. It used to be Bobby McGee's, while you won't find the BBQ to be amazing bbq compared to TX, it is good food and the place is truly iconic history, just browse the photos and enjoy the environment and great service. (There is a closer location in Scottsdale, but this is the original in Phoenix. Recommend making the drive for more nostalgia.)

https://goo.gl/maps/roaTQMWPX1Nkw72w7

2 Italian Delis, both on Scottsdale Rd but N/S about 8mi from each other:

Guido's Chicago  https://goo.gl/maps/xFg5iErYBBaWWozF8

DeFalco's  https://g.page/DeFalcosDeli?share

Edited by Sam Lin
deli

8 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Elements is best rec yet.  Some have me shaking my head.  What kind of food do you like?  What kind of scene are you looking for?  Are you an old?  Is wife cool with you guys bringing a hot 24 yo back to CB Inn?  These questions will influence my recommendations.  I’ve lived here for 20 years, so I have a pretty good idea on things.  Don’t go to Grimaldis.  It’s fine but you don’t seek out middle of the road pizza when on vacation.  

Mid and late 30s. We like all food, although a stuffy steakhouse is not our vibe normally. Energetic with a good cocktails. Definitely down with some day drinking we won’t stay out past midnight. No. 

10 hours ago, royiv said:

Grimaldi's is shitty chain pizza.

It’s really not. How many stores do they have?

It’s genuinely coal-fired pizza. That’s not easy to find. You can’t open a coal-fired pizza place in Manhattan anymore. The only ones that exist were grandfathered. The first Grimaldi’s store opened across the bridge in Brooklyn, if memory serves.

I mean, I’m addressing a community that orders delivery from Dominos and Papa John’s and thinks that’s good pizza. I realize that the pizza debate is generally a waste of my time. I’ve lived and traveled in the pizza belt between NYC and Chicago so what do I know?

Take it or leave it. The advice is sound, the product is great, and the wall in the bar area is covered with photos of celebrities dining there. I’ve dined at a lot of good restaurants in the greater Phoenix area but I’ve forgotten their names. Grimaldi’s rocks and satisfies everything the OP was looking for. If you compare it to Sbarro then you don’t know fuck-all about pizza. But then we already knew that.

There’s a big difference between coal-fired pizza, wood-fired pizza, and charcoal-fired pizza. Sbarro isn’t any of that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s genuinely coal-fired pizza. That’s not easy to find. You can’t open a coal-fired pizza place in Manhattan anymore. The only ones that exist were grandfathered. The first Grimaldi’s store opened across the bridge in Brooklyn, if memory serves.

I mean, I’m addressing a community that orders delivery from Dominos and Papa John’s and thinks that’s good pizza. I realize that the pizza debate is generally a waste of my time. I’ve lived and traveled in the pizza belt between NYC and Chicago so what do I know?

Take it or leave it. The advice is sound, the product is great, and the wall in the bar area is covered with photos of celebrities dining there. I’ve dined at a lot of good restaurants in the greater Phoenix area but I’ve forgotten their names. Grimaldi’s rocks and satisfies everything the OP was looking for. If you compare it to Sbarro then you don’t know fuck-all about pizza. But then we already knew that.

There’s a big difference between coal-fired pizza, wood-fired pizza, and charcoal-fired pizza. Sbarro isn’t any of that. 

They have about 50 stores nationwide. That's a pretty good size chain by any measure. No one was comparing it Domino's. OP mentioned Pizzeria Bianco, which is widely regarded as one of the top pizzerias in the country and you suggested a middling chain with locations in El Paso and Corpus. 

To the OP, LGO was another good pizza recommendation in this thread, but is also a great place to grab coffee and breakfast in the morning. Your wife will love it.

El Chorro is great for drinks on the patio. The food isn't spectacular, but the atmosphere is hard to beat for a true desert experience.

Elements is a good suggestion for a nice dinner, especially if you can get a reservation at sunset. The bar there is also great for drinks before or after dinner. My wife and I spent many nights on their patio when we lived in Phoenix.

If you want Latin, we really like the Mission on Old Town. Great, lively atmosphere and you're in Old Town so you can find a bar to pop into after dinner if you want to.

Chelsea's Kitchen at 40th and Camelback has an awesome patio and their food is solid. Owned by the same folks who own LGO.

O.H.S.O. on Indian School has an awesome patio out back along the canal for outdoor drinking.

If y'all want something that's high-end fine dining for a big night out, Cafe Monarch in Old Town fits that bill.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, royiv said:

They have about 50 stores nationwide. That's a pretty good size chain by any measure. No one was comparing it Domino's. OP mentioned Pizzeria Bianco, which is widely regarded as one of the top pizzerias in the country and you suggested a middling chain with locations in El Paso and Corpus. 

To the OP, LGO was another good pizza recommendation in this thread, but is also a great place to grab coffee and breakfast in the morning. Your wife will love it.

El Chorro is great for drinks on the patio. The food isn't spectacular, but the atmosphere is hard to beat for a true desert experience.

Elements is a good suggestion for a nice dinner, especially if you can get a reservation at sunset. The bar there is also great for drinks before or after dinner. My wife and I spent many nights on their patio when we lived in Phoenix.

If you want Latin, we really like the Mission on Old Town. Great, lively atmosphere and you're in Old Town so you can find a bar to pop into after dinner if you want to.

Chelsea's Kitchen at 40th and Camelback has an awesome patio and their food is solid. Owned by the same folks who own LGO.

O.H.S.O. on Indian School has an awesome patio out back along the canal for outdoor drinking.

If y'all want something that's high-end fine dining for a big night out, Cafe Monarch in Old Town fits that bill.

This good advice.  I’m not a huge LGO fan even though I enjoy the food.  The entire LGO experience is chaotic from trying to find a parking space and everything else that follows.  Also, they don’t serve pizza before 4 pm.

El Chorro is a good spot and is close to the CB Inn.

Elements is great but if you decide not to eat there, take the wife to the Sanctuary at sunset and have cocktails at Jade Bar.  

The Mission is solid.

Chelsea’s Kitchen is a great lunch spot without the LGO chaos.

O.H.S.O. is good for drinking but I find the food to be average.  They opened a sister location next door called Little O’s.  Awesome patio for an easy breakfast with cocktails.  The food offering is more limited than OHSO, but it tastes better IMO.

Cafe Monarch is tits and so is their new place Reserve.  You’re looking at $300 a head minimum though at both.  Worth it if you don’t mind spending the coin.

Sushi Roku is very solid as well.  I think the sushi is great, and while not cheap, it’ll run you about half of what you’d spend at Nobu down the street.

Toca Medara is overpriced but if you find yourself by the mall on the weekend, it’s worth popping in for a drink to people watch.

Beckett’s Table in Arcadia is another I’ll add for a decent dinner option.  Great food at a normal price point.

Living in Dallas, I rarely go to steakhouses when I travel.  But, I ended up at Michael Mina's Bourbon Steak at the Fairmont Scottsdale once.   It was a truly great and memorable.  We ended up serving the wine we had there at our wedding.  The appetizer of a ravilolo with egg yolk was extraordinary.   

On 10/11/2022 at 8:53 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh wow you were actually being serious. I’ve had Grimaldis in a mall here in San Antonio (that alone should tell you something) and left very unimpressed. For the price I actually would much rather get dominos or Marco’s. But you do you I guess. Next time you’re in NYC be sure to hit up the Chili’s in time square for sure great food.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I haven't been back to phx in 14 years after living there 2000-2008 and i'm stoked to see some of the legends have persevered. Is durant's still around? Dick's? The Rokerij? 

I used to live across the street from Bianco and its spectacular, but in a pinch we'd go to Cibo about a 10-15 minute walk away. Underrated food town.

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

I haven't been back to phx in 14 years after living there 2000-2008 and i'm stoked to see some of the legends have persevered. Is durant's still around? Dick's? The Rokerij? 

I used to live across the street from Bianco and its spectacular, but in a pinch we'd go to Cibo about a 10-15 minute walk away. Underrated food town.

Moved back to TX a few years ago, but the wife and I go back several times a year to visit friends and go to the places we miss and I'm happy to report that Durant's, Dick's and The Rojerij are still alive and kicking. We used to love to go to Dick's for dinner at the bar on Friday nights. Great place.

Railroad park on the SE corner of Scottsdale Rd and Indian Bend can kill a couple of hours.  You can drive out to Fountain Hills and walk around the lake.  They have a splash pad and a few playgrounds by the fountain.  If you go to Fountain Hills grab lunch at DJs Bagel Cafe.  I can’t recommend that place enough.  Tell me where you’re staying and we can throw some breakfast recs at you.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

North Scottsdale Road about a mile north of downtown. I’ll have a car so scooting around a bit isn’t an issue. I’ve never been so I really don’t have much reference for how far is “far”… I imagine by Houston standards everything should feel like it’s pretty close.

Railroad park is 5 minutes away and zero commitment if the little guy get cranky.  Fountain Hills is about 20ish minutes away.  There’s not much going on, other than the fountain, but there are some good views and the area around the fountain is very family friendly, google it and see if it’s for you.  As far as breakfast goes, brunch/breakfast places are all over old town and all decent, none great IMO.  Not worth the wait on the weekend but if it’s a weekday it’s worth the convenience.  On a weekend I’d go west on Indian school and check out the patio at Little O’s Arcadia.  Maybe a 10 minute drive but the patio is great, food and doughnuts are good, Arcadia MILF people watching is spectacular.  Also has a full bar and some TVs if an early game is on.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Did El Charro, Pizzeria Bianco, and Nobu for our main meals. All very good.

Hiked Camelback and one other hike. We played Camelback Golf Club and played Scenic Mountain short course the same day of the Camelback hike. 

Hit up the dispensary for some edibles and pre rolls. All in all Scottsdale would be on my shortlist of places to move between October and April.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:05 AM, royiv said:

Hey Primo what you got against Corpus?