2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

On 2/21/2023 at 9:36 AM, Scraps said:

boot one of these loser fucks off the 40 man and sign Profar now

need some insurance to play LF if both Yordan and Brantley are going to be in dicking around in the trainers room 

Not to mention they should have signed him even without this news 

can profar pitch  ?

12 minutes ago, dr99 said:

McCullers is going to be the new Roger Clemens who only pitches the second half of the season each year

If he could show up to work in the middle of May every year- have a 6 week spring training complete with 4 AAA starts and be ready to throw 90 pitches every July 1 I would pretty happily take that if we are being honest.  LMJ isn't necessary for the regular season with the depth that we have.  You can muddle through 20 starts with a AAAA type guy like Bielak (no offense to him- maybe he's a legit 4.5 or 5 starter in the bigs) with a team as good as ours, just so long as you have the higher quality guys in the playoffs.  
If we can push LMJ out to where he's not a top 4 option in the playoffs (and that could happen with Framber, Javier, Brown and Garcia if he makes a leap then cool- lets jettison him and use the extra 17M to lock up Whitley on his 10 year 400M contract. 

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i like this flexibility 

I'd like it a lot more if we used it to extend Tucker or Abreu + Garcia + Urquidy.  If Tucker would take something like 10/250 to get done (that's where I think his number likely is) then backing out his $5M salary would have us $5M over.  That wouldn't be a bad penalty or anything.  Or we could get rid of Maton and Dubon and replace them with Paredes and Leon for example and be right on the number.  That would cut your flexibility but it would make you contenders through 2028. I'd rather be a contender through 2028 then be able to pick up Mancini and a middle reliever at the deadline, but YMMV. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/21/2023 at 10:13 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

If Maton hadn't punched his locker like an idiot, we would have lost Game 3 in Seattle because Dusty absolutely would have used him before Garcia and he absolutely would have given up a run. So, in his own way, he made a major contribution to our playoff run. 

You will never convince me his Game 6 shot was only 450 feet. If that's what the math says, the math is fucking lying. 

The blast he put into the third deck his rookie year was listed at ~380 ft. I was thinking “get the fuck out of here with that bullshit”.

13 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

LMJ's only job at this point is to drop some F-bombs and spray the Champagne in the locker room.

I do the former on a daily basis…and am a quick learner and sure I can pick up the latter.

I’d be willing to do all of this for $10M OBO  saving the team a substantial amount of money in the process. 

• Haha 1

Taking a look at other Outfielders and what they earn sorted by AAV, Tucker should be looking to get about 25-30m a year average value. Springer got 25m per year from the Blue Jays, Nimmo got 20m, Yelich and Bryant 26m, and I think Tucker is better than all those guys. Betts, Judge and Trout are probably considered better players in general, but of course Trout isn't very reliable. Harper got 25m per, but that was 4 years ago. Tucker should be somewhere in the top 10 highest paid outfielders, probably around 4-6th in AAV, but if the team is buying out 2-3 years of arbitration, they should get a discount.  8 years for 200m would be an average of 25m per, including the 3 years of arbitration, and it would give him a ton of security for the future. 

How many years for Tucker is debatable, but he has 2 more years of shitty arbitration, so he should be incentivized to lock in now and avoid any risk of losing out on the big payday down the road due to injury.  10 for 300 at age 26 would be pretty good for the team, as prices only seem to be going upward, but Crane doesn't like those really long deals. That would be like a 7 year extension beyond his arbitration years.  Sounds fair to me, but 3 years is a long time to wait to cash in. 

image.thumb.png.ce471bd0b9b927ad4389785645242e23.png

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/contracts/sort-value/outfield/limit-100/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Would the Astros offer that?

I don’t know. 
I would be really really really happy if they did. I don’t know that’s enough to get it done- but if they offered that it would be a sea change from how we’ve acted before and I would believe the new GM has Cranes ear. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Would they consider a 6 man rotation with Whitley as the 6th man?

A 6 man rotation won’t be necessary for the first 2 months of the season as there is an off day every week. Hopefully, LMJ will be a full go by June when we have a stretch of 17 consecutive games. 

• Hook 'Em 2