2023 Official Astros World Champs Offseason Thread

tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Machete is making 4 million this year, and it's the last year of his deal. If injuries flare up and seem chronic, he could retire next year. Is there a succession plan? Do the Astros have a promising catcher in Triple A ready to get called up? Because if they don't, then they need to find 2024 and beyonds catcher this season via trade. You definitely want some overlap between whoever that is and Maldonado, because that's one of those positions where the group can really help each other get better as a unit. 

That's why I'd argue they need to play Lee and/or Diaz. Lee has the first round pedigree and certainly won't be a worse offensive catcher than Maldonado; Diaz looks like a bat first guy who might not even stick at catcher. Maybe neither of those guys end up panning out, but they need to find out.

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Anyone have MLB TV you stream to watch the Stros when you live out of state? $150.00 for the pre-season and season. I'm considering it this year. 

I’ve had it in the past and loved it.  But it’s not just out of state.  You better make damn sure you aren’t in the Astros’ “region.”  I’m in Tulsa and was pissed when I first moved here to find that I was blacked out for Astro games on MLB.tv. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Learn me on FuboTV. I know it's the only option for legal streamer for Rockets and Astros. How much is it for every channel? Do they have a 30 day trial? Do y'all like it better than the other options, HuluTV, YouTubeTV, Sling? 

Not true.  DirecTV Stream carries Houston  RSNs if you are in the region.  DirecTV isn’t so bad when you don’t need their equipment or a contract.   

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’ve had it in the past and loved it.  But it’s not just out of state.  You better make damn sure you aren’t in the Astros’ “region.”  I’m in Tulsa and was pissed when I first moved here to find that I was blacked out for Astro games on MLB.tv. 

I'm in the KC area. I did the check with my zip and it said the Royals were the only one blackedout

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

@Mo Horn Keep in mind that MLB.tv doesn’t have national broadcasts so you’re SOL for the playoffs unless you have another carrier with ESPN, TBS and Fox.  

Thanks. I do have my regular cable, so I'm good. I can usually find a stream for games, but it's not consistent and that means watching on my tablet, which I've done for several years. Would rather just watch it on my fire stick on TV. 

28 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Thanks. I do have my regular cable, so I'm good. I can usually find a stream for games, but it's not consistent and that means watching on my tablet, which I've done for several years. Would rather just watch it on my fire stick on TV. 

just make sure you watch the auto renew or you’ll get slapped with another $150 charge this time next year.

But yeah, it’s great. I use it to watch the Stros in Austin with Unlocator 

• Hook 'Em 1

McTaggart knows Maton wouldn't have made the playoff roster but even he can't resist the brother made him break his hand narrative 

Spoiler

Healthy Phil Maton hopes to win back bragging rights from brother

3:42 PM CST
Brian McTaggart

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Watching your teammates win the World Series from the dugout while you are wearing a cast on your hand is one thing. Hearing about what caused the injury all winter from your brother is another.

With that in mind, there might not have been an Astros player more motivated to start Spring Training camp than veteran right-hander Phil Maton, who allowed a hit to his brother, Nick Maton, in the final regular-season game of the year against the Phillies and was so frustrated he punched a locker. Things went from bad to worse. Maton broke the fifth metacarpal in his right (throwing) hand, had season-ending surgery and missed the playoffs.

Maton has fully recovered, and he laments having to watch the Astros rip through the postseason by going 11-2 behind an incredible performance by their bullpen.

“It was pretty tough, especially watching some of the situations where I'm like, ‘This is a spot I'd be in the game,’” Maton said. “We have such a deep staff and we have so many good guys, I wasn't missed at all. But I mean, it was really tough to watch from the dugout.”

Oct 5, 2022

· 

0:56

Maton singles off of Maton

Because of his up-and-down regular season, Maton wasn’t a lock to be on the American League Division Series roster in October even if he had been healthy -- he posted a 3.84 ERA in 67 games, capped by two runs allowed in the regular-season finale. Maton was a key piece of the 2021 Astros team that won the AL pennant, posting a 0.73 ERA in 12 1/3 innings, including five scoreless outings in the World Series against the Braves.

“The year [2022] didn't end the way exactly I would like to, but just looking at the way that my pitches developed throughout the year, I was really happy with it,” Maton said. “I had a tough stretch kind of after the All-Star break, but I was really happy with the end of the year. It's just getting outs and making pitches and just looking to build on that.”

7 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

He walks way too many batters to be an effective closer. His bb/9 is 3.7 over his career and 4.2 the last 2 years. 

And Presley doesn't? The king of leadoff walks and hits. I haven't looked up the stats but it seems like he always walked a batter and gave up a hit or two (excluding 2022 playoffs). Defense saved him game 5 World Series.

Different mentality when you are a closer. I think he would throw stikes.

Edited by mycox
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Anyone have MLB TV you stream to watch the Stros when you live out of state? $150.00 for the pre-season and season. I'm considering it this year. 

Jumped about $20 from last year but at least this year it includes MiLB.TV, plus you get all the archived games as well. Watched the condensed clinching gm 6 earlier this week late at night and woke up feeling prettay prettay good. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

you use t-mobile/sprint for cell provider?  if you do, it’s free. love mlb.tv but have to scramble for angels games. you won’t have that issue. 

7 hours ago, mycox said:

And Presley doesn't? The king of leadoff walks and hits. I haven't looked up the stats...

You should. McCullers' career averages is a little more than an extra bb/9 worse, and it's trending the wrong way, where Pressly has improved his since coming to Houston.

To put it into perspective without those abstract ratios, McCullers walked 22 guys in the 8 games he started in the regular season last year (47.2 IP). That's nearly as many as Pressly has walked in the last 2 full seasons combined - 26 in 114 games (112.1 IP). He actually pitched slightly more innings that McCullers last year (48.1) but only issued 13 walks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

lol... Significantly better  average for 1 season out of nowhere, the one year the Red Sox were supposedly doing it, but some people still don't accept that Boston was doing it. They even won the world series over the Dodgers, but somehow the city of LA doesn't care about them cheating. What a weirdly selective hatred they have.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2